Two Sigma Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Two Sigma Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Two Sigma

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

the whole process took about 4 weeks. My feeling is not to apply this company any more. The interviewees themselves are not very clear about their questions. They also are very arrogant ad pushy.

Other Interview Reviews for Two Sigma

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

I was contacted by external recruiter. Then one phone screen with a recruiter from the company. Then coding test for 2 hours. Then another guy who is a software engineer contacted with me asked bunch of technical questions that are collected from internet. Nothing very original, probably all questions he asked were among top 50 interview questions. He was a nice guy. Then they invite me to onsite in Houston.

First interview was with a manager. General questions about my background. He asked some factual questions. Some of them were really stupid. I tried to answer all questions and I think my interpretations were good. I sometimes express that what he asks is not very meaningful because of xyz reason, he accepted etc.. Then he asked a coding question which was not hard. I solved it in less than 7-8 minutes I guess. You write code on a laptop. He look at the code and find a test case which fails the program. I suggest two ways to fix it and I fix it. Then he starts discussing which was is more efficient. I said express my idea. It was related with letters. I wrote the code in Java. He asked me, how can I efficiently convert uppercase letter to a lowercase letter. I answered using Java way of thinking. This guy was very interested in to the low level programming. He talks about a tricky way to do it. Actually before he mentioned, I gave an answer which was very similar to his answer. He did not like it for some reason. Then we talk about test cases. I gave two different answers. I tried to point out that I would test boundary conditions as well as regular conditions. I suggested an automated way to test the program that I wrote. He liked the idea. Then he tried to confuse me with an another idea which was actually identical. He said that details are very important for the company etc.. He even go into machine code level details of the implementation. It was a weird interview. I don't really like the guy. He was obsessed with stupid tricks. Even though, your answers are close to the tricks that he amazed with, he does not like to recognize that you know what he has in his mind. Weird guy, a type of guy which is impossible to make him happy.

Then another guy came, he asked some questions about my background previous work etc.. He seems like he was very interested in to what I did before. I recently finished my PhD, I talk about what I did for my dissertation etc.. He asked me to write a binary tree. I wrote it. Then he wanted me to test it by printing it. I wrote a method which had a slight problem, but I solved (he also give an idea while solving it). I tested the tree. Everything was working etc..

Two guys take me to lunch to a nice place. They told me that they won't give any feedback and I can ask any question that I want. I ask questions about the company and Houston. They seem like they were happy to work in Two Sigma and live in Houston. They tried to create an impression that very special people work in the company. They were nice guys.

We returned to the company. The secretary came and said that they did not feel that I am a good match. Then I left from the company. It was a bit surprising because I wrote the code for two programming questions without any problem. Second interviewer behaved so nice. I answered most of first interviewers questions, I discussed a little bit and persist correctness of my answers. Maybe he did not like me because I was not submissive lol :) .

Interview Questions

• There was not very difficult questions, but there were meaningless questions. Some of them are created for interviews and some of them were reflection of weird obsessions of the first interviewer :). The most unexpected one was "what is Godel's incompleteness theorem?" from first interviewer. He was not normal :)   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

The interview process had four steps:
    (1) A brief phone interview with HR to see if background matched any openings
    (2) Online code challenge (2 hours to solve two coding questions)
    (3) A one-hour phone interview -- asked about my background then asked several CS 101 questions
    (4) An all-day onsite interview

The onsite interview questions were relatively easy and straight-forward, no trick questions. The focus was on solving simple questions quickly and flawlessly.

Interview Questions

• Several questions involving strings and graphs.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

Response was really fast. It is relatively easy to pass the phone screening process and get on-site. But the onsite was very hard. Need to mention that HR was quite nice and the on-site arrangement is satisfactory.

Interview Questions

• The technique challenge questions are not that difficult compared to other IT companies. But it requires clean, bug-free and timely coding. The on-site part could end up earlier than planned if you don't perform well.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

You will be given a code assessment, and have to finish it in 2 hrs. But you can choose the time you want to start, and email the solution back in 2hrs. The question is not difficult. And then you will have a phone screen, and you will be asked some question about the projects on the resume, and some technical questions. I was asked several questions about OS. The final round will be onsite interview, but I didn't perform well in the phone screen, so I don't have that chance.

Interview Questions

• How to compare two doubles in C++?   3 Answers

Application

Interview

Had a code test followed by a ph interview and a full day of tech interview. Code test questions same as mentioned before - sorting strings and numbers in place, data center sync problem. phone interview was ok, just a chat about the past project and simple questions. Onsite questions were tricky and covered data structures, algos, string matching, tries etc.

Interview Questions

• sorting strings and numbers in place, data center sync problem   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview is very technical; studying the CLR algorithms book in advance is the best route to take before submitting your resume. There is typically a screening interview by HR just to find out if the candidate is a good fit attitude-wise, followed by a code test and then potentially two days of in-person interviews. HR will send a candidate home early in the day if the interviewers don't think the candidate is a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember a specific question, and even if I did; I don't necessarily think that posting it online is positive thing to do for the candidates or the company. As I mentioned above, studying the CLR book is the best route to success.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Got a mail from the recruiter who then set up a phone interview. It wasn't technical, just what I like and what I don't like. Why I'd like to work at TS?

Then there was this technical interview over phone. Where you had to solve couple of programming problems. If you have good experience with Data Structure and Algorithms, you should pass that round easily.

Then there was onsite round. It consisted of 5 interview. It was a bit different from other tech companies in the sense that each interview was 1hr30mins. In other tech companies, it's usually 45 mins per interview. They asked lots of technical and behavioral questions. You are given a laptop for coding and white board for discussion your ideas. The interview questions are similar to other giant tech companies, however they ask more mathematical questions.

Interview Questions

• I am not supposed to share interview questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Two Sigma in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online, and HR contacted me and give me the link of the online code test.

Interview Questions

• The code test, they give you 4 test case, which is regular format. But there is a button for additional 20 test case. They are hidden the content of test case. I always failed two of them. and didn't know why. So I cannot improve my code.   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

Submitted my resume at a career fair. Got email a month later. Had a code challenge and a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• questions on data structure, design pattern, floats and threads.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.