WHSmith Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 8 Dec 2017

2.0

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Hull, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith (Kingston upon Hull, England) in November 2017.

Interview

The woman who interviewed me was really friendly, she took me into a private room with another lady who took notes and started firstly talking about availability, then questions including scenarios of what you’d do in that certain situation, then more about the job role uniform and salary. They also asked if I had any upcoming holidays to which I replied no.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Colchester, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Easy interview if you know what you are doing and have experience. Pretty much let everyone have a job, even the guy who I thought didn't do well.
    Group interview, just always be the first one to answer or ask questions. Other than that yh, around 7 people at the interview as well as the manager, Sandy, and two other members of staff

Interview Questions

• Tell us your name, age, what you are looking for within the job and something strange about yourself?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

Got an email asking me to go for an interview, then had a phone call asking what day I could come in, telling me what forms to bring in etc. Went in for the interview the week after, was took into a room for a one-on-one with the manager. Very casual and friendly atmosphere, had to fill in a few forms and was offered the job at the end!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work well in a team.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work to targets.   1 Answer
    • What do you know about mystery shoppers and how would you treat them if they were to visit your store?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with someone complaining about a queue?   Answer Question
    • Why do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the store manager a couple of days later inviting me in for an interview. It was a 1:1 interview with a variety of experience based questions, scenario questions etc. Then there was a short numeracy test. He said it would take 45mins in total my my entire interview ended up falling just short of that. It was very relaxed, felt more like an informal chat if it weren't for him taking notes. It was a very positive experience for me and I left the interview wanting to work there even more.

After the interview he said he would be calling the successful candidates the next day and walked me out. I got a call at 9am the next day offering me the job and inviting me for an induction the next day.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was complaining about a long queue   Answer Question
    • What would you do if there was a mystery shopper in store.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at WHSmith (Folkestone, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online through indeed, the next day I had a phone call inviting myself to interview. Was a relaxed interview with the store manager, followed the next day by a working interview, the following day I had the job

Interview Questions

• What relevant experience do you have?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at WHSmith (Birmingham, England).

Interview

The interview process was quick and easy although my interview time did say 11.00 am but was interviewed and hour later. I was told I would get a call to let me know if I got the job or not but since I have received no call.

Interview Questions

• They ask if you know anything about the company and if you give the date of when the company was founded they asked if you knew how old that would make the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (Bromley, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Went in and asked to see manager. He took me into a small office room, had a relaxed atmosphere. He asked me some questions and took notes as I answered. Asked questions about myself then scenario questions then finished with a 15 minute numeracy test.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (Glasgow, Scotland) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a phone call just over a week later inviting me for an interview. Was interviewed by the manager in an office/store room. He had a sheet of paper which he said had all the standard questions for WHSmith interviews. He filled in notes on this form as I answered. The interview went really quickly, it only took about 15/20 minutes. He told me I'd hear back on Monday. On Tuesday I got an email saying I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about WHSmith?   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (Welwyn Garden City, England) in September 2017.

Interview

The application process was easy. Interview did not go well personally. It was my first ever interview and I felt very nervous and came across as shy to the employer. Aim to act confident and easy to talk to especially if the job requires customer interaction.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith in August 2017.

Interview

The whole process only took about 2 weeks - from applying to receiving my offer. I applied, got an email about 3 days later confirming my interview date which was the following Tuesday. There were 7 of us, we were told we would be having a group interview so they could see our personalities. We were led upstairs and given a chance to introduce ourselves, we were then paired up and given a sheet full of different scenarios in which we had to choose which to prioritise, then we were given a booklet full of the actual interview questions, then we were taken to the shop floor to partake in a sort of role-playing exercise (we were given a scenario on a piece of paper - e.g. customer comes in, it's his nephew's 7th birthday soon who likes lego, he has £25 to spend) and we had to walk around the store and pick out items for that scenario. The day after I got a call from the manager saying they were impressed with me and would like to offer me the job if I was still interested.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.