WHSmith Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

WHSmith Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2017

2.0

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the store manager a couple of days later inviting me in for an interview. It was a 1:1 interview with a variety of experience based questions, scenario questions etc. Then there was a short numeracy test. He said it would take 45mins in total my my entire interview ended up falling just short of that. It was very relaxed, felt more like an informal chat if it weren't for him taking notes. It was a very positive experience for me and I left the interview wanting to work there even more.

After the interview he said he would be calling the successful candidates the next day and walked me out. I got a call at 9am the next day offering me the job and inviting me for an induction the next day.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was complaining about a long queue   Answer Question
    • What would you do if there was a mystery shopper in store.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at WHSmith (Birmingham, England).

Interview

The interview process was quick and easy although my interview time did say 11.00 am but was interviewed and hour later. I was told I would get a call to let me know if I got the job or not but since I have received no call.

Interview Questions

• They ask if you know anything about the company and if you give the date of when the company was founded they asked if you knew how old that would make the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (Bromley, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Went in and asked to see manager. He took me into a small office room, had a relaxed atmosphere. He asked me some questions and took notes as I answered. Asked questions about myself then scenario questions then finished with a 15 minute numeracy test.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (Glasgow, Scotland) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a phone call just over a week later inviting me for an interview. Was interviewed by the manager in an office/store room. He had a sheet of paper which he said had all the standard questions for WHSmith interviews. He filled in notes on this form as I answered. The interview went really quickly, it only took about 15/20 minutes. He told me I'd hear back on Monday. On Tuesday I got an email saying I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about WHSmith?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith in August 2017.

Interview

The whole process only took about 2 weeks - from applying to receiving my offer. I applied, got an email about 3 days later confirming my interview date which was the following Tuesday. There were 7 of us, we were told we would be having a group interview so they could see our personalities. We were led upstairs and given a chance to introduce ourselves, we were then paired up and given a sheet full of different scenarios in which we had to choose which to prioritise, then we were given a booklet full of the actual interview questions, then we were taken to the shop floor to partake in a sort of role-playing exercise (we were given a scenario on a piece of paper - e.g. customer comes in, it's his nephew's 7th birthday soon who likes lego, he has £25 to spend) and we had to walk around the store and pick out items for that scenario. The day after I got a call from the manager saying they were impressed with me and would like to offer me the job if I was still interested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston upon Hull, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at WHSmith (Kingston upon Hull, England) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job online and then around week later got a phone call from the supervisor of the store asking me to attend an interview on the next Tuesday which was this week. The interview was around 15 minutes long and it was very relaxed, the interviewer was very helpful! After the interview she told me that she would be in touch on the Friday, so I still await the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about WHSmiths?   1 Answer
    • How would you be with a mystery shopper that was in store?   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a customer that was complaining about waiting in the queue for too long?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith in August 2017.

Interview

First of all, I had to answer a maths test, then was invited into the interview room where I got asked questions about myself. It wasn't very nerve wracking at all as I was treated correctly.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Swansea, Wales) in August 2017.

Interview

After applying for similar position over the past year this was the forth attempt to get to interview stage. Interview went with being put into a room with eleven other people, two dropped out for the interview within the first 10 minutes due to not being able to do the hours with university commitments. Sat around a table given a Competency questions including maths. Then after test question complete we all were sent for one on one interviews after that put into put groups to discuss situations on the shop floor and how would you deal with them, At the end of the interview we all were given the test results and told that there was only one job out of the nine of us left. Overall interview took around One hour.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you have delivered good customer service?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

It was very standard and easy. Come prepared with standard answers to standard questions, such as what you would do with a difficult customer, or what your strengths and weakness are.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a mystery shopper came?   1 Answer

PT Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stirling, Scotland

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Stirling, Scotland).

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call a few hours later inviting me to an interview the next day.
    Interview took place in the managers office and was conducted by the manager. It was very informal and relaxed. Had to discuss my work background and experience, how I would react in certain situations, give examples when... and then we discussed my availability and if I had holidays booked, if I got the job when could I start etc.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to work together as a team player   Answer Question
    • How you deal with a situation where the till was really busy but the manager was on your back about a job he wants you to complete by a certain time.   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.