WHSmith Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Apr 2019

2.0

Sort:

Assistant Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England) in September 2018.

Interview

Wore my best suit, arrived on time, prepared well. Interviewers were scruffy in casual clothes, collected me late from reception and scribbled notes on scraps of paper. The interview room was cramped and hadn't been pre-booked. "If we get kicked out, we'll find another room" I was told. I felt like screaming at them "THIS IS A JOB INTERVIEW!" Didn't get offered the job apparently due to lack of experience working in a retail organisation. This was clear on my CV if they'd bothered to read it! Total waste of my time and effort. Thanks for nothing!

Interview Questions

• What are the accounting entries for the sale of a gift card?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

I had a phone interview for a internship for a WHSmith internship, it was simple, easy and was offer a face to face the very same day. They were friendly and it was a pleasant experience.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at WHSmith (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was quite easy. I was interviewed by an HR and my future manager. I came in well prepared but I found the questions very straight forward and simple. They asked about my skills and experience, but really wanted to see if I had what it took to do some efficient work asap.
    The overall experience was good, I would recommend t apply there.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Brighton, England) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone call with recruitment after applying through LinkedIn. Sent cv and waited a ehile to hear back, finally arrange an interview after about two weeks. Was expected to prepare a profit and loss presentation, they sent s brief with a fictional report and 5 questions.
    Overall standard interview with the normal customer service questions. Did not like that they expected a full p&l presentation considering the salary in offer was so low. Was turned down "due to lack of retail experience" however really got the feeling I was over qualified. Had already accepted an offer of much better salary anyhow.

Interview Questions

• If you were going on holiday and your cover rang in sick what would you do?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (London, England).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a 1st interview with an existing unit Manager. Was invited to 2nd interview, & had to prepare an analysis of some of their units in a specific location. Interview was poor, completed with a Senior Field Manager type person, who was more interested in his phone than speaking with the candidate during the interview. Never heard from them again, which is probably just as well due to this ignorant behaviour.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Hull, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith (Kingston upon Hull, England) in November 2017.

Interview

The woman who interviewed me was really friendly, she took me into a private room with another lady who took notes and started firstly talking about availability, then questions including scenarios of what you’d do in that certain situation, then more about the job role uniform and salary. They also asked if I had any upcoming holidays to which I replied no.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a mystery shopper came in?   1 Answer
    • Give us a time when you’ve participated in teamwork?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith in August 2015.

Interview

Informal, I was left alone to fill in a short maths quiz type form which was pretty basic. I then had an interview with the manager. The questions were what you would expect, nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• What's you're biggest weakness? Why should I hire you for this role? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What do you know about WHSmith?   Answer Question

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bournemouth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at WHSmith (Bournemouth, England) in December 2015.

Interview

Absolutely short, my interview was run by Sales Assistant not even a manager, after 10 Minutes i had a job ! ?No tricky questions , manager decided to came after 20 minutes didnt introduce him self to me i said Hi he said nothing !

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Swansea, Wales) in August 2017.

Interview

After applying for similar position over the past year this was the forth attempt to get to interview stage. Interview went with being put into a room with eleven other people, two dropped out for the interview within the first 10 minutes due to not being able to do the hours with university commitments. Sat around a table given a Competency questions including maths. Then after test question complete we all were sent for one on one interviews after that put into put groups to discuss situations on the shop floor and how would you deal with them, At the end of the interview we all were given the test results and told that there was only one job out of the nine of us left. Overall interview took around One hour.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you have delivered good customer service?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

A typical interview for a customer assistant role. After approaching the store directly I heard from WHSmith within the space of the week. I was interviewed by the store manager, who went through a fairly standard list of questions for such a role, such as what I knew about the company, to relate how any previous experience was relevant for this role, etc.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.