Baringa Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance better compared to the consulting industry as a whole (in 11 reviews)

• The people you work with are very good at what they do and there are plenty of opportunities to learn from them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance, but that comes with the industry (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours and travel are an intrinsic part of consultancy work (in 9 reviews)

1. "2yrs in Tech Transformation - So far so good"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very little 'dead wood': Full of smart people who know their onions and are deeply passionate about their chosen field. e.g. Our Technology Transformation team are, for the most part, pretty technical in their chosen fields.

- Ability to take ownership: Baringa is still relatively small so the opportunity to build a proposition/capability, or have an idea and run with it, is very real. Partners will back you if you have present a credible case.

- Genuinely collaborative: This comes out in two ways, firstly business units do collaborate to try and build the right project team for each engagement. Secondly, unlike some other consultancies I feel like I could ask colleagues for help if I needed some advice or was struggling on any particular engagement, and not have it held or used against me. People want to see you succeed and this overrides most of the personal ambition/politics/agendas I've experienced elsewhere. It also encourages people to speak up rather than soldier on into situations they may not know how to handle.

- Work Life Balance: In the context of consulting, Baringa makes much more than a token effort to help with this. I know that senior management and partners actively take into account personal situations (e.g. getting married, having a baby, etc) when staffing a client and will not fling someone out to the Outer Hebrides with 24hrs notice. Combined with the perks available for when you do work out of town, this becomes quite a big differentiator to me

Cons

- If you are a generalist it can be a little tough to find your place when you are surrounded by SMEs everywhere you turn.

Advice to Management

Try and retain all the things that makes Baringa different, like the 1:10 Partner:Non-Partner ratio, Christmas cards from senior mgt, summer party, family ethos, etc, as Baringa grows

"Baringa is genuinely a great company!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- the people: smart, engaged, enthusiastic, driven & caring. your colleagues genuinely care about you.
    - 0 hierarchy. no one has a corner office, and you can talk to and approach everyone without raising eyebrows
    - not everything is perfect, but when something goes wrong, people - all the way up to partners - try very hard to make things right
    - the company is growing a lot, and despite huge client demand is looking very closely at who is brought in to join
    - it's still a fairly small firm, so if you want to, you can contribute and get a lot of responsibility from day 1
    - 3 months promotion cycle (despite some people apparently not reading the employee handbook - it is a real thing, and it avoids the strange "once per year promotion" frenzy) and no quota on promotions (that in my experience encourages cutthroat behaviour)
    - parental leave, both for men & women, is actively encouraged
    - mental health issues are taken seriously and you can get access to a coach to get through difficult times, no questions asked
    - challenges that are brought up through the annual employee opinion survey and other channels are picked up on and worked on, e.g. initiatives to improve onboarding experience, return from parental leave, performance review process, corporate social responsibility program, etc.
    - knowledge management is taken seriously and exists as its own function, allowing the key resource of consultants (information) to be shared better than I have seen anywhere before
    - innovation in people management

Cons

- work-life balance, but that comes with the industry. if you want 9 to 5, don't go into consulting. but at least at baringa, people are trying very hard to make it work, and you do have a lot of freedom when you start working, when you go home (as long as the work's done), and no one's saying anything if you have to take care of personal business for half a day. it's always a challenge, but you can make it work.
    - few international opportunities
    - the workforce is very international, but diversity in terms of background would be great - there are almost entire teams that consist of only big4-consultants and could benefit from not only hiring through referrals
    - if you want to get rich quickly, baringa probably isn't the right place to start. salaries are okay, but not outstanding
    - staffing decisions aren't always very transparent, but if you speak up about what you want, what you don't want, my experience has been that it's taken into account as much as possible

Advice to Management

- encourage junior people actively to interact outside of their immediate current project, their team or business unit to get a broader view of the company, get to know a wider range of people and to have more channels of communication
    - manage expectations better - be honest about things like time to next promotion, what skills are required, time management, ... sometimes, consulting is hard, and it's better to know that up front

3. "I wouldn't want to work in any other consultancy"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Baringa genuinely has some of the best people in the industry. Although they now hire some graduates, the majority of new joiners have several years of consulting or industry experience
    - Fun and welcoming work environment
    - Opportunity to get involved in loads of internal work and to accelerate career
    - Very strong reputation amongst all clients.

Cons

- It is consulting, so projects can be tough at times - but the firm genuinely does as much as it can to make this manageable for individuals

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - and keep trying to be different as the firm gros

"Great company with and amazing culture"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture and surrounded by highly capable people in a collaborative environment.

Cons

Sometimes too nice with their feedback on performance.

"Recent joiner"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- nice / enthusiastic / smart colleagues
    - good learning opportunities
    - company genuinely cares about employees
    - company is growing

Cons

- Baringa brand fairly unknown
    - salary and benefits not on par with top consulting firms
    - office could be nicer. being spilt across two buildings not ideal
    - limited international opportunities
    - not that diverse in terms of nationalities

Advice to Management

Invest in building the Baringa brand and sending a clear and consistent message to clients.
    Hire software developers to build custom solutions.
    Diversify recruitment. Focusing on referrals does not promote diversity.

"Not what you expect"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of young, ambitious and collaborative people

Cons

You are brainwashed every day about “Baringa culture” and how great the company is. You either fit or you must pretend to fit, there is no way to get time for yourself; this kind of "introverted" behaviour raises eyebrows.

Projects are usually short (10 weeks) and understaffed (somehow Baringa needs to be competitive against the big guys) so you end up working by yourself in random locations & definitely not on the most intellectually challenging tasks.

There is a lot of talk around senior management listening and trying to improve working conditions but actually it reminds me of George Orwell's "doublethink": they can tell you they care about work/life balance but actually do nothing about it and set a terrible example themselves.

Most of us joined because of the glassdoor reviews but what we found is quite different from what we expected. As the company expands I expect more and more reviews like this to be posted.

Consider yourself warned.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending this is an NGO and start trying to actually improve working conditions for your employees.

Baringa Partners Response

29 Nov 2017 – Partner and People Lead

I am genuinely saddened to read this review and hear that you feel this way. I would ask that you please come forward and speak to me individually and confidentially; I’d like to understand your... More

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great company to work for and some of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure of working alongside.

Cons

Out of town work was a bit of a killer

"Brighter Together?... Personally I’m Brighter Apart"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of London, England

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location and a number of good sizeable clients. Fairly flat structure that allows for seamless interaction with partners and juniors alike.

Cons

Being an “extra body” 98% of the time. Rarely are you involved with actual thoughtful work or something that is genuinely satisfying. Typically work is built around ludicrous deadlines or workloads.

Repeatedly being told that it’s a good place to work - only to find that this process is not much more than a tick box exercise that is bought into, supported by pressure to leave a review on Glassdoor (in my first year I probably would have left a positive review too).

Advice to Management

Think about who is doing what, what skillset?

Throwing bodies at a problem isn’t always the best solution.

"Not a Great Place to Work! Definitely Not!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bunch of very enthusiastic people - or so they seem!

Cons

Very cliquey culture. If you do not blend in - you will be forced to pretend to be a part of the mix and enjoy it. Asking for some alone time – is a crime and will be remembered. It will come out in your reviews! If you want to hold on to your individuality, and do projects which challenge you intellectually, this company is not for you. Most of the projects are one man bands - people dropped into client environments to project manage an ongoing initiatives. No strategic thinking, no value add, no intellectual indulgence - you just end up managing risk logs and project plans! Beware - if you are intellectually inclined. For those who want an easy life and still call it consulting - this is the right place for you!

Favoritism is rampant, promotions go to people who learn the art of Brown nosing the decision makers, and feedback process is a joke! Feedback means - I will sit you down and tell you why you are completely useless! There is no positive reaffirmations, no words of encouragement, no development plans, just negativity in the name of feedback! Complete joke!

Advice to Management

The Baringa Bubble has burst. Please stop being in denial. Your leadership team is demoralising people. People are scared to speak out - as they know the consequences. They are even scared to say the truth in surveys - for fear of being identified. Your leadership team is vindictive - they single out people and take out their vengeance in creative ways! This has become a soul destroying place! Please wake up!

"Manager"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Fantastic collaborative culture with extremely talented staff.

Cons

Like all consulting, projects can vary and travel can be tiring.