BenevolentAI Reviews

BenevolentAI CEO Joanna Shields
Joanna Shields
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Exciting place to learn and build software for a noble purpose

Nov 12, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Noble company purpose, opportunities to learn about biology/chemistry/drug discovery

Cons

Not an engineering focussed company

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We work in multidisciplinary teams, which means our Engineers have great exposure to different ways of thinking and to entirely different scientific disciplines and backgrounds. I am so pleased to hear that you’re motivated by these opportunities to learn about new fields and by our mission!

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Decent company

Jan 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Interesting subject matter * Smart colleagues * Good social events * Smooth remote working * Collaborative environment * Diverse teams

Cons

* Senior management constantly pivoting * Unclear direction * Lots of politics * Slow career advancement and inconsistency in promotions

3. 5.0

Flexible and considerate

Oct 18, 2021 - Product Designer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Considers my individual needs and preferences for my style of working.

Cons

No cons as of yet

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

I’m so pleased to hear that you’re benefiting from our flexible working policy. The People team are always here to discuss ways we can accommodate your needs, and if you need any further support please reach out!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing People and Company

Oct 13, 2021 - Office Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great office environment Super warm and welcoming people Great Recruitment process Amazing benefits and bonus Great induction and onboarding process Flexibility

Cons

Nothing as cons for now.

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We really care about creating a great place to work, and I am so pleased to hear that you are thriving here at Benevolent!

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Few progression opportunities, ineffective management, unclear product vision, poor HR practices

Nov 12, 2021 - Software Engineer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Salary is reasonable for outside of finance (but lower than the other EU tech scale ups. interviews are not hard) - There are a handful of genuinely exceptional individuals here - Hours are fine

Cons

- Promotion seemed to me to be disconnected from ability. Managers are often not directly exposed to the work of people they manage, so promotion can depend on being allocated work that looks good in a promotion pack. Those with more senior managers are generally better supported and allocated the best projects for promotion packs regardless of technical ability. Those with newer managers who do not understand how to navigate the promotion structure as well may miss out. - I felt pigeonholed into my role. When I was recruited, I was told this would not happen, then when I asked about a role transition a few months in, this was not supported. - Engineering/technical standards are generally quite average in my opinion, even at very senior levels. I was unimpressed by the quality of the engineering; it is low compared to other places I have worked. There is a "manage yourself" approach, which is totally not suited to an org of this size now. The technical culture is not one of excellence but one of managerial politicking. - I experienced a dog-eat-dog, ego-driven, insecurity infused culture where bullies and narcissists can thrive (I tried reporting several incidents to HR, who had no interest whatsoever in investigating). I think this largely arises from rapidly overhiring into an environment where there isn't actually a defined product or enough engineering tasks to work on, having ineffective leadership across most functions with no expectations/accountability enforced, academics with no business/product sense being given vast amounts of responsibility for business/product decisions - It felt totally unclear to anyone what the product is and there was no improvement on that while I was there, nor do I believe there's any real prospect for improvement based on my experience of working here. - I dealt with a few really toxic behaviours. I tried to report these to HR but it felt clear to me they weren't interested in taking my concerns seriously, and had already decided to support the other parties, without any proper investigation of my complaints or a desire to really understand what I was experiencing. This led to some burnout.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We know there’s always room for improvement and have very deliberately invested a great deal of time and resources in cultivating a culture our people can feel proud of; somewhere our people can feel included, supported and empowered to speak up. We take feedback seriously and rely upon a variety of feedback loops in order to improve our people's experience. We appreciate the time taken to leave these comments, and wanted to provide an in-depth response. Relating to your comments on promotions, we have clear career level frameworks and our promotions process is designed to be objective and fair. The process gathers far-reaching feedback — from peers and managers — to build an accurate and detailed picture of the level an individual is operating at, and all promotions are then calibrated. We accept no process is perfect, and in response to your comments, we will introduce sessions specifically on the promotions framework for our new managers. We are disappointed to hear that you felt pigeonholed into your role. We always encourage people to discuss the different opportunities that interest them around the business and are proud to have facilitated a large number of lateral moves around different product areas this year to make sure people have access to different career opportunities. As much as we try to facilitate such moves, business priorities and resourcing needs can mean this isn't always possible. We have multiple support resources in place for those who need it, including enhanced mental health and wellbeing coverage in our benefits package, and any incidents reported to our people team are taken seriously and investigated and dealt with accordingly. We really care about doing the right thing for our people and our teams, and our response is always to review possible approaches and work with individuals to agree on what the best path forward is for them. Like many scaleups trying to transform a traditional industry, we have a fast-paced environment that may not appeal to everyone. We try our best to hire with our culture and workplace requirements in mind, but sometimes we may not mesh with an individual’s preferred work style or expectations. We’re sorry you didn't have a great experience during your time here and wish you the best for the next step in your career.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company if you are a life scientist or AI engineer

Oct 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

great company culture meaningful business great potential open minded and young people good work-life balance great benefits

Cons

no real room for career progression outside the core business areas certain level of disconnect between the functions signs of office and senior management politics lack of a balance between business oriented people and life scientists

Continue reading

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

Thank you for leaving your feedback and for calling out our culture, people, and work-life balance. We have invested a great deal of time and resources in cultivating a culture our people can feel proud of; where they are supported, challenged, and included. Relating to your comments on politics, we encourage open conversations about all topics at work, and I recommend you to bring any concerns to your People Partner. Your People Partner is also always available to discuss how we might be able to support your individual career objectives and interests, and take you through how our career level frameworks can support growth and development across each discipline.

7. 5.0

A Wonderful and Fulfilling Mission and Workplace

Sep 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The People The Mission The Leadership The Opportunities

Cons

The growth of the company and its impact brings challenges to the personal touch that we used to get with Senior Leadership.

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

I'm glad to hear you're motivated by the company culture and mission - it’s exactly this scope for lasting positive impact that makes working at BenevolentAI so rewarding - and there’s certainly still plenty of work to be done! There are always challenges that accompany growing so fast, especially with the move to remote working during the global pandemic. We really prioritised nurturing and maintaining our culture and connectedness through lockdown through initiatives such as Donut (for informal ‘water cooler chats), and regular tech, drug discovery and whole company all-hands with senior leadership. As we start spending more time in our offices, I’m sure we’ll all benefit from more organic and authentic face-to-face interactions. Please do sign up for our People Check-ins with our SVP People, Trecilla, and keep an eye out for upcoming ‘What’s on your mind’ lunches with our CEO, Joanna!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing team, I love working here

Sep 7, 2021 - Technical Project Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Expansive benefit package - Always interesting work - London office is a fantastic environment

Cons

- Nothing that stands out to me

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

Thanks for leaving your feedback, and that you find our London office such a fantastic environment. It's been brilliant to see so many new and familiar faces in person within our new hybrid work model.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great colleagues and company culture

Jul 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Welcoming, inspiring, driven colleagues and a great company culture, with lots of interesting talks and events and lots opportunities to meet people in different areas of the business.

Cons

I haven’t come across any just yet, it’s a fast paced environment so that might not be for everyone.

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

Comments like these never fail to make me smile. These are certainly among the things that make me excited to show up to work every day too, and I am pleased to hear that you are thriving here at Benevolent!

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

Positive experience

Jun 3, 2021 - Associate Director in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, interesting work, great people

Cons

Lack of clear vision from senior leadership

Global Talent Acquisition Business Partner

I’m so pleased to hear you had a positive experience at Benevolent, and hope you will keep in touch! We often say we are one team with one mission, and so we really value clear cross-company communication. Thanks for sharing your feedback, we’ll take this into account moving forward.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews