Brandwatch Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

4.1
Giles Palmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Living in Brighton, my work-life balance is excellent" (in 17 reviews)

• "Very smart people with little ego, who genuinely want to work to do what's best, constantly grow and innovate" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Appalling behaviour from line managers which senior management will ignore" (in 6 reviews)

• "salaries are not competitive and there is no real career path" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Strong culture, good employer"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at Brandwatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team. Good CEO. Genuine enthusiasm in different departments. Good commission for new business people.

Cons

A little difficult being the only remote sales person (at the time).

"So far so good! A fantastic place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed working atmosphere - you're given the freedom to work at your desk or around the office. Whatever makes you comfortable as long as the work gets done.

- A good balance of food perks - Breakfast is provided. Decent coffee and tea. Snacks and soft drinks. Lunch free once a month and nice pastries on a Friday. Also so much water across the office that we could solve the world's water crisis.

- Team vibe is great - The team I've slotted into are seriously nice. They support me if something goes wrong and are really positive when things go right. My immediate manager and his manager are great to work with and I've had regular meetings with both in my first few months just to help me settle in. The nicest thing was that from the first interview everyone was so excited about the role and the possibilities so seeing that translated into value for the team and the company is great. And when I look at other teams they all seem to have the same vibe. There isn't really any suspicion or mistrust between colleagues or teams which is extremely refreshing.

- Personal & professional growth - You're allowed and encourage to pursue projects of your choosing if they add value. Shouldering this amount of responsibility is a clever way of pushing oneself out of one's comfort zone and do things that one wouldn't normally do if just coasting along. It helps build you as a person.

- IT and infrastructure is on point - The team responsible for maintaining the IT infrastructure that everyone who works at Brandwatch are amazing at their job and they've helped make the company so good at what it does. The teams who maintain the infrastructure on which Brandwatch runs its projects on are at the very top of their game and its amazing to see things evolve as time goes on.

- Documentation: Everything is encouraged to be documented either on confluence or google drive. Usually its the case that they're cross linked. At the end of meetings for example its encouraged for people to take snapshots of what was drawn on the whiteboard and this gets shared on Google Drive.

- Meetings are short and to the point and always involve everyone which is awesome.

- Work/Life balance is great - It is made pointedly clear that you might want to arrive at 08;30, that your work day starts properly at 09:00 and that it ends at 17:30. For someone who has been used to burning the midnight oil on a regular basis in previous jobs this was very refreshing. Also HR and management try to help as best as they can if events outside of work get in the way. Be honest with them and they can help in terms of parental leave and so forth. Its that way of doing things which helps people working at Brandwatch do the things that they do.

- New starter experience - From the free welcome pack (I got a tote bag, notepad, water bottle, etc) to bundling you up with other new starters so you all have your first day at the same time; the whole experience in the first two weeks was fantastic. As I commute into Brighton from near SE London my boss suggested that I use accommodation owned by Brandwatch to stay at during my first couple of weeks which helped a lot! You really get made to feel welcome and through that you're likely to buy into the Brandwatch plan.

- Summer & Christmas parties - They are great and fit the Brandwatch way which is not crazily over the top but just right. They're always the talk of the company which is a good sign.

Cons

- Pay - c-c-c-combo breaker(er...er.....er.....)! Sadly theres always a little downer and thats the pay. Its always going to be hard to compete with Silicon Roundabout or super-macho Square Mile salaries but I think Brandwatch offer just enough to compensate. So let me be honest: I took a pay cut to join and I haven't regretted it.

Advice to Management

- Keep recruiting intelligently. Don't rush into anything and make sure you keep hiring the best.
    - Keep the excellent office atmosphere going.
    - Keep encourage inter-team work.

"A fun experience I won't forget"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I worked at Brandwatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Everyone is really friendly and I felt like I could have an honest conversation with everyone of all levels
    - There are a lot of fun social activities (christmas parties, after work drinks, free food and drink etc.)
    - There is a great deal of flexibility in the hours you work (at least in my department)
    - During the time I worked at the company things vastly changed at the rate that a start up does, so there was always something new to do and help muck in with

Cons

- No career progression: it became very hard to be challenged and come out of your shell. There was very little guidance in terms of where to go next if you have been at the company for several years.
    - Often the fun social stuff is viewed as compensation instead of getting regular, transparent pay rises. One department differs from the next in terms of how to compensate individuals, it was never very consistent.
    - A lot of inexperienced people working at the company muddling on through
    - No women at C-Level, very little diversity in some departments.

Advice to Management

Generally I had a great time working at Brandwatch, and the above cons are things management are probably well aware of.

Promoting and engaging with women instead of letting them go would be my advice.

"The Bees Knees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I worked at Brandwatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Trust and freedom to run with your own projects, if you can demonstrate their value.

- A lot of good tech to help you get the job done.

- Wicked vibes with the right team.

- Absolutely ridic summer and christmas parties.

- Company-wide kudos and incentivisation platform ('bee-net' or something), meaning you really get rewarded for doing good work.

- Fragrance.

- Free sushi!

Cons

- On occasion, I found the vibes to be thoroughly harshed. This is unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Hire a CVO

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues
    Great offices
    Nice focus on culture in engineering
    Drive to make things better by senior management

Cons

Consistency between teams could be better. Communication of goals and priorities has got worse in recent years.

Advice to Management

Communication of company/departmental goals has got worse in recent years. Probably just a growing pain.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time

Pros

• Interesting range of clients (including lots of big name brands) which are fun and challenging projects to work with
    • Good accountability as a team of colleagues. We do what we say we will do. I feel that we have common values and goals in our work.
    • Opportunities to put yourself forward to get involved in cross-company projects, and move across departments or roles
    • A powerful product and an established market leader in the Social Listening space. Regularly bring out new product features to benefit our clients.
    • Meetings are capped to 30mins or 1 hour (this is partly due to demand of the meeting rooms – but this is good compared to former workplaces where meetings drag on unnecessarily!)
    • Very good IT and tools/systems to collaborate internationally. Monthly global meeting where we hear from leadership and colleagues.
    • Pat is a really good leader of Customer Success (the part of the organisation that I’m in) with many female leaders. A motivating team to be part of.
    • Great location of the office with discounts at local cafes, free pastries on Fridays, free fruit, good coffee etc
    • Nice office with standing desks if you want to request one
    • New people are made to feel welcome and valued. In the Brighton office you often start at the same time as a couple of others which is helpful.
    • Good work/life balance. Almost always leave on time at 5:30.

Cons

• I would like there to be more healthcare perks (e.g. dental, optical and health insurance)
    • No salary ranges on job ads and this is only discussed later in the application process. I still have no idea how my salary compares to other people in equivalent/ similar roles.
    • Regular changes of internal structures and processes. While it’s good to be agile and responsive, this can also have negative impacts on people’s roles and on clients.
    • As with many SaaS products, there is room for improvement in customer journey and enabling clients to get the most out of the platform
    • This one is more about the market than BW as a workplace. The product, like any Social Listening product, relies quite heavily on data coverage (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc). There are external threats (such as consumer privacy concerns, legislation) which might mean this data becomes less readily available, and impact the value of social listening to businesses. Brandwatch and others need to be aware of this and not place too much risk on 1 or 2 channel providers.

Advice to Management

1) Keep hiring good people and keep the culture even as you grow bigger as a company.
    2) This is more about the market than BW as a workplace. The product, like any Social Listening product, relies quite heavily on data coverage (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc). There are external threats (such as consumer privacy concerns, legislation) which might mean this data becomes less readily available, and impact the value of social listening to businesses. Brandwatch and others need to be aware of this and not place too much risk on 1 or 2 channel providers.

"Supercharged my career"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been able to do about 10 years of career growth in half the time.

Plenty of opportunity within the company if you are intelligent, hard-working and able to work well with others.

Living in Brighton, my work-life balance is excellent. The company is very flexible with working from home arrangements and start/end times. Just talk to your manager.

My colleagues are smart, inspiring and I learn a lot from them. I still feel like I am making a significant difference in my day-to-day work. I am excited about the future of our company and this market.

Cons

Raw salary is less than equivalent work in London, but there are other benefits for high performing staff.

I was here over the initial fast growth period and was therefore able to grow into more senior positions as they were created. That is harder for newer recruits.

As an engineer, the software is not the kind of stuff I use myself, so it's harder to understand the users that we build for.

Advice to Management

Transparency and humbleness are as important as ever.

"Still the best placed I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Engineer in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here for over 5 years; I turned down quite a few good opportunities to join Brandwatch and haven't regretted it for a second.

As others have noted, the key strength of the company is its strong culture. I'm surrounded by wonderfully intelligent, compassionate, and driven colleagues. Imposter syndrome is almost instant, and can be overwhelming, but the support you have in the Engineering department is fantastic - if you approach your work with the right attitude then a great career is ahead of you.

I've had the privilege of getting to know most of the C-suite at least reasonably well, and strongly believe that their hearts are in the right place. Yes, there are mistakes. These are usually openly acknowledged and discussed in my experience. What Giles and the team have managed to build over the last decade is quite remarkable though, and I'm hopeful for the future.

From an Engineering-specific point of view, I have a huge amount of time for Dave Jones, the CTO. He's tremendously sharp, optimistic, encouraging, and a great problem solver. The department seems to be going from strength to strength.

I've seen plenty of smart people have brilliant opportunities open up to them during my time here, and I myself have benefited hugely from the flexible and supportive culture here.

Ask questions, propose ideas, talk to people, and you'll have a marvellous time here.

As an aside, the management training is the best I've seen or heard of - I had a fantastic time with it, it's the best thing a company has ever provided for me.

Cons

I don't have a problem with pay myself, and would encourage others to think holistically about what they want. Yes, you can get more in London, and perhaps even in Brighton, but the growth opportunities at this company are huge, and it's hard to put a price on looking forward to going to work each day. Still, I know it's a bugbear for some.

Also, this is a company that is growing, and often figuring things out for the first time. There have been mistakes made, and there will be more. If you expect complete stability, you'll likely be disappointed. Expect for there to be changes, and expect them to be openly discussed (if they aren't then talk to your manager). These are difficult waters to navigate and sometimes changes need to be made.

Advice to Management

Honestly, keep doing what you're doing. It's working great, and the vast majority of people I speak to are very happy here.

If I think of anything else, I know I can give you feedback - a privilege that I know most people don't have in other companies!

"Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, caring colleagues, nurturing new talent, visionary and ambitious. Age and beauty no barrier to success.

Cons

Let me think. Still thinking. Air Conditioning has variable performance. Lavish birthday cakes a thing of the past.

Advice to Management

Keep believing, keep striving.

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Javascript Developer in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Senior Javascript Developer in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing and unique culture
    Strong sense of community and shared responsibility
    Everybody is willing to help or help find the person that can
    Very strong culture of career development and active line management (1:1s)
    Active social team with regular and inclusive events
    10% personal development time

Cons

While the company strongly encourage personal growth they can be slow to follow that up with promotions and pay rises leading to great people to leave for better opportunities - though often people come back to Brandwatch for the better culture.

Brandwatch pays well but definitely slightly below market average, especially for more senior roles. While there a lot of great things about working here that make people stay the allure if significantly higher salaries in London can be tempting.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow and succeed ensure that people feel that they are part of that success and rewarded fairly for their contributions to that success.

Make sure you are being visible and open within the company in driving the culture and behaviours that you want to see more off.