CDW Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
CDW CEO Christine Leahy
Christine Leahy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent Culture and work life balance" (in 168 reviews)

• "Sets goals and works hand in hand with employees, also offers work from home options after 1 year" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance could be improved" (in 57 reviews)

• "Low base salary, but high/uncapped commission potential makes up for it" (in 88 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Make your career what you want at a very successful company"

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Work for a company with a history of sustained success
    - Career mobility - I've held 8 unique roles in different departments over 17 years, three in management
    - A can-do culture with energetic and positive coworkers
    - Innovative and open to trying new things

Cons

- Managing both the need to go a million miles an hour vs. hurry-up-and-wait experiences
    - It is a lean organization, so there is quite a workload, but the pros make it worth it

2. "Great business"

I worked at CDW full-time

Pros

good training and career opportunity.

Cons

hard work sometimes, have to think on your feet.

Advice to Management

keep going.

3. "Clicky, political"

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Nice building, 'ok' location, good access control

Cons

Benefits aren't good, clicky, progress via contacts not what you know. If you're in a 'gang' that includes management then that's ok.

4. "CDW bringing success and changing lifes"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You run your own business but supported by the largest global reseller. This helps you deliver fantastic service to your clients. So your clients are happy and through cdw fantastic pay structure they definitely keep you happy.

Cons

High pressure job Can be hard to focus on personal life.

Advice to Management

Invest in your manage and professional services business. Try and service the enterprise better. Invest more in your international business.

"Varies depending on Manager"

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Very intelligent people work at CDW.
    Opportunities to grow and develop skills - providing these be approved.

Cons

Very few of the intelligent people are listened to.
    The management within Peterborough are without a doubt some of the worst i have encountered. They are passive aggressive, rude and disrespectful with tenancies to betray trust and bad mouth fellow coworkers. This has lead to my own personal mental health issues, including anxiety, depression, self harm and total destruction of confidence. If it wasn't for the intelligent people, who i trust, and respect i would have left along time ago.

Unsure how many time this needs to be highlighted for someone to actually do something about it but clearly CDW do not take the mental health of their coworkers seriously.

Advice to Management

LOOK AT THE MANAGEMENT! look at the feedback you have been provided already and follow up on it. Don't just expect it to go away as this poor leadership is what is breeding the poor behavior. In so many cases the issues are with management above team leader level. If someone "isn't achieving" then the first question should be what has been done to help this coworker achieve. i could bet my life that the answer to this question, for the majority of occurrences is "Nothing".

20 Mar 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience, which we assure you does not reflect CDW’s values or corporate culture. We take any claims not in line with The CDW Way code of... More

6. "Great company, Poor Manager!"

Former Employee - Coworker Services in Peterborough, England
    Former Employee - Coworker Services in Peterborough, England

I worked at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent coworkers with a vast array of experiences.
    Great initiative where Leaders visit sites and host the “Take the Lead” events.
    Interesting project work.

Cons

Being micro managed by a control freak, who only wants to create clones of herself.

Quite frankly, I’ve never felt so depressed in a job and I put that 100% down to the Manager and her negative vibes. What could have been a fun and exciting role, became a total confidence wrecker.

Advice to Management

Knowledge does not always make a great Leader. When 3/4 members of small team leave in quick succession, someone should have been asking why!
    Don’t let your Managers destroy and manipulate people... encourage them to build individuals up and encourage their teams to succeed and not for their own ego!

20 Feb 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at CDW. We would like to opportunity to discuss your concerns directly and find out more details, so we can look into this... More

7. "Low salaries, unequal pay, lack of diversity, workplace bullying and poor leadership in the UK!!"

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working makes work bearable.

Cons

Low salaries, unequal pay, lack of diversity and poor leadership in the UK. Bullying and harassment in the workplace occur frequently and harassment investigations are launched and persist for months. Management team in the UK consists of unskilled individuals, skilled staff receive low compensation and there are no salary reviews or performance reviews. The coworker services team is inept, the CWS should be replaced with a new team of qualified staff.

Advice to Management

Replace UK Senior management with skilled managers.

"Read if joining the Peterborough Service Desk"

I worked at CDW full-time

Pros

The hand dryers are superb in the toilets.

Cons

I have worked for CDW in 3 different capacities; Service Desk Analyst, Desktop Support Analyst (2nd line) and Onsite Support Analyst over a period of around 6 years so my opinion I would say is fair, balanced and not limited to one team or manager.

On paper CDW appears to be an excellent way into IT for people who have a genuine interest or passion for technical support, sadly the reality is that if this is your first experience it will almost certainly be your last.

Since CDW or Kelway as it was known then moved from its Huntingdon premises to Peterborough around 6 years ago they have gone through a ridiculous amount of staff, they actually moved offices because they had exhausted the staff pool for the Huntingdon area and literally ran out of staff they could recruit.

They are the only company I have ever worked for that doesn't stop recruiting, it has nothing to do with growth, yes they are growing but almost all of the new customers are taking products that do not touch the Service Desk.

The team leaders and shift leaders are so shockingly bad at their jobs it is almost scandalous, there is a real issue with cliques in the office, all of the shift/team leaders are drinking buddies and could not do the job they are asking their staff to do.

They are now at a point with recruitment on the Service Desk that they will literally take anyone, when they first moved to Peterborough they recruited based on key skills, experience and work history like any good employer would, sadly now they are just giving jobs to anyone who has access to a pair of trousers and a shirt.

They send out an amazing welcome pack when you join, it’s really informative and goes to great lengths to tell you how you can have a career at CDW, promotions are common place and the emphasis is on skill building. The reality is that in 6 years on the service desk (roughly 120 staff total at any one time), 3 people have actually been promoted to a higher position, there have been around 10 sideways promotions (people moving into newly created roles) but these are cut down roles so cannot be classed a genuine promotion.

There is no HR presence at all in the UK so if you have an issue/concern then you can email Co Worker Services in the US or go to your team leader (who will literally ask you to email them and they will forward it to CO Worker Services in the US, no HR decision making is done in the UK). If you have for example a grievance with a staff member or professional concerns that you would take up with HR then you are out of luck here, there is literally no support for the staff. I have personally known of people who have raised issues (some really quite serious I might add) and they have just left the business without getting anywhere.

My advice would be that if you have no IT experience and no qualifications but would like to start a career in IT then join CDW, follow their advice and process calls the way the team leaders want, get 6 months under your belt and then go and work for literally any other company. If you are the kind of person that wants to ladder up without the knowledge or skills then just get yourself in the cliques that are obvious from the second you walk in and pat the right heads, you will be a team leader inside 4 months. It shocks me how much respect this company has in recruitment circles.

Advice to Management

Listen to your good staff, there are some still there.

11 Feb 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

9. "Great Company"

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company does well overall but could be improved

Cons

work life balance could be improved

10. "really think about it"

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great opportunity to make money

Cons

just another number in the system

Advice to Management

do more than you are