CH2M Reviews

3.4
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman
Pros
Cons
  • "Need a little better communication from upper management(in 44 reviews)

• "Bad senior management- the leadership needs to learn to be more proactive and teach their team new skills(in 34 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Internship at CH2M Glasgow (highways)"

Intern Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland

I worked at CH2M for less than a year

Pros

Company culture. Company benefits. Lunchtime CPD sessions. Teamwork. Team support.

Cons

Recent take over by Jacobs and location.

"Not a great place to work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England, England

I worked at CH2M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and a large company with opportunities

Cons

Direction changes every day, management is disconnected from the employees, a very confusing place to work, it was a dead end for many people with large redundancies

3. "Senior BD Manager"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior BD Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and good diversity

Cons

Struggling to re-structure into market defined divisions and with the employee ownership model which was not sustainable

"very bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Associate in London, England, England

I worked at CH2M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good technical capability in staff

Cons

convoluted structure to bidding for jobs

"Career Progression, Flexible working culture and pro-activeness it is rewarded"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a "doer" person and dont like to sit back, your career will progress pretty quickly. I know it sounds like I work in HR, but I dont. I have worked in CH2M for the past 4 years. Started in a technical role but after few years I felt like I wanted to learn more about project management and sales so I talked to few people and they supported me and moved to a new role where I am learning lots. What I want to get to it is that the CH2M culture it is to support and develop people, and from my point of view they do it pretty well. Also, I like their approach with flexible working, the video conferencing it is use widely, and they would be open for you to work from home, even if you do not have children and I love that, it is a true work-life balance. Leadership communication it is quite good, you can be as informed of what it is happening in the company as you want. Diversity is a strong value in CH2M, there are nearly 50/50 men and women from all backgrounds.

Cons

To get a pay raice you will have to push hard. There is a system in place, but you wont be getting a big increase. There is also a reward scheme, but the amounts are not very noticeable in your bank account. There seems to be quite a lot of re-structuring which can make people feel unease.

"Good working environment"

Civil Engineer in Cardiff, Wales, Wales

I have been working at CH2M

Pros

A very strong history of doing great work for their clients and building lasting relationships that provide employees with meaningful work. On the forefront of virtual teams allowing many employees to work from home while delivering complex projects. The leadership is fairly flat but can be complex given the matrix type organization that is has grown into. Provides a lot of opportunity for driven individuals who have technical know-how. Benefits and compensation are competitive, especially for strategic hires.

Cons

Given the size of the firm, certain groups can make the employee feel lost in the numbers. Growth in high risk contracts has been a challenge. Experience can vary significantly depending on the office (which is true for a lot of large firms).

"OK, but not inspiring"

2.0
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in London, England, England

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Office in good location - Good people (when you can find them) - Good working abilities eg working from home, flex time - When you have support from a senior manager it's a great place to be - Ability to see the world

Cons

- Happy to promote senior managers whent hey are not that nice and don't really contribute a lot to the company - Poor to non-existent benefits package - Promotion only possibly if you know someone, it's rarely based on merit of work - If you don't fit in to a conventional job role they don't know what to do with you and are not keen on crrating new roles - Staff morale is low with acquisitions in the London office - everyone is fearing for the safety of their jobs at present - Company happy to spend all the money on the senior members of staff and none on the people lower down - Staff development has take a real back seat and now is not really a priority - Budgets continue to be cut throughout the year unrealistically - Majority of people in lower roles you speak to are looking elsewhere Overall, this has the potential to be a great workplace, but it isn't. Morale in the London office is low and trying to get information from HQ in Denver or anywhere else in the world is so painful you end up wondering why you bothered in the first place.

CH2M Response

September 29, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about our UK office. Please know we do read and take every review seriously. It's our goal to make CH2M HILL a great workplace for all of our employees and your comments regarding career advancement opportunities, benefits and morale will be forwarded to the appropriate teams and senior management.

8. "Ok to work for them"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at CH2M

Pros

Collaboration consultation teamwork positive forward thinking

Cons

Travelling outdoors pay training security

"Excellent Opportunities"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England, England

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly and supportive colleagues, and the practice I work in is really focused on developing its members. There is a good leadership that instils the core values of cooperation, support and development across the team. Good projects to work on and the ability to work with some of the global experts in the field. Since I have been with CH2M I have grown exponentially as an engineer and have been supporting in all my aspirations. You have to have skin in the game- don't expect to get something for nothing- hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Sometimes communication can be a little patchy , especially about pipeline work, this has improved in the last few months. There can be uncertainty and this tends to make people jittery. I do think however the industry is facing some challenges yet again and this is most likely a common feeling across the sector.

Continue reading
  10. "Excellent Place to Have Begun My Career"

I have been working at CH2M for more than a year

Pros

Working at CH2M has allowed me to work with some of the most impressive and genuinely good people. Everyone's absolutely lovely. It has a wide range of interesting projects and there's a lot of flexibility in what you do. Good IT. Lots of ambition. Great opportunities to advance your career if you take ownership of it. People generally let you take on as much responsibility as you want if you've proved yourself.

Cons

None as far as I can see. I tried to leave this box blank - but apparently I have to write at least five words in it.

CH2M Response

August 10, 2015Company Representative

Thank you for your kind review! We’re happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed working with us. We agree with you: we have great projects! Your suggestions on employee incentives will be passed along to the appropriate team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,183 Reviews