Eventbrite Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Eventbrite CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains associated with a scaling company: some disorganization at the senior level can give individual contributors whiplash and cause burnout(in 15 reviews)

• "With any growing company, when changes and growth occur there can be some shifting in responsibilities within roles(in 11 reviews)

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good office culture, supportive management, great product, accommodating hours, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Longer hours than ideal for commuters, but not a huge problem.

Eventbrite2019-07-02
  2. "I love working here!"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

People, the opportunity, leadership, autonomy to get on with your job

Cons

Big goals can be daunting

Eventbrite2019-04-02

"Fab Place to Work - would highly recommend!"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Fab working environment full of intelligent, creative and hard working people. Great benefits and lots of opportunities to foster new initiatives and progress your career. Would recommend Eventbrite to anyone!

Cons

Nothing that constitutes a 'con'!

Eventbrite2018-07-02

"Excellent Organisation - Excellent Team"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Superb benefits and a great team to work with. The London office has some very smart and talented people working here. The management team allows us the freedom to do our jobs well and supports where it is needed. This leads to a far better atmosphere than in many of my previous workplaces.

Cons

Being a US company, it sometimes feels that the UK has to fight a little harder to explain that the needs of the business might be different here.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting the teams to do their jobs. This has led to success and created a great work environment.

Eventbrite2018-05-30

"Big opportunity, talented people"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Passionate and talented team, high achieving, fast paced and exciting place to work, opportunity for growth and movement within company, good benefits, working with a product that is genuinely fantastic, and loved by a lot of event organisers.

Cons

Unique place to work (lots of little nuances), which you need to adapt to, and can sometimes be difficult. Pressure can be on the high side.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your staff, and recognising how much effort and dedication goes into their work.

Eventbrite2018-06-01

"London office - 5 stars"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Number one reason this is the best place I have worked is because this office has some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of working with - collaborative, hardworking, sociable and passionate. The leadership team are supportive and truly invested in our success. The right team is in place and this shows through the amazing results and growth we have had in the last year.

Cons

We do still have to be a bit scrappy to make things work for us locally, but I kind of like that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it’s working. Don’t change the core values.

Eventbrite2018-02-17

February 23, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! Our growth in Europe is a direct result of the hard work your team puts in each day. -Julia Hartz, CEO

"event manager"

Event Manager in London, England

I have been working at Eventbrite

Pros

personal growth and promotion opportunities , excellent working environment

Cons

busy and demanding environment , lots of responsibilities

Advice to Management

they could have a better managerial style in terms of the selection criteria of employees.

Eventbrite2017-04-05

"No longer the place it was"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good office location free lunch, and some great benefits. However there is still no pension plan for UK employees. Some good staff Great potential if they had stronger leadership

Cons

The company is dominated by a sales culture that is driven by targets, and lead by a management team who have a blame culture. They are quick to sack staff rather than taking responsibility for their own incompetencies as managers. The US office often make decisions on behalf of the international teams without consultation and without any knowledge of the international markets and their business needs. There is a... lack of experienced leadership in the UK and a complete lack of understanding of the market they are trying to move in to. The culture has been on the decline in the last 2 years and much of the talent in the UK and US has moved on. The huge turnover of staff is something that I have never experienced before.

Advice to Management

You need stronger leadership in the offices outside of the US. You should invest more in your staff and ensure you have experienced managers and leaders that provide support to their staff, and coach their teams to success. HR in the satellite offices is a must.

Eventbrite2017-02-22

"Past it's best"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Eventbrite employs some incredibly talented people who work very hard & (used to) have a lot of fun doing it. I have seen more brand / employee loyalty and emotion attached to this place than anywhere I've worked - to me this is a sign of truly great culture. When times were good they were really good, but when they were bad.... (I'll get to this later) You get free lunch!

Cons

Eventbrite masquerades as a "startup" when really they have been running for 11 years but still haven't sorted out some very basic business processes (like employing local HR, ensuring people get paid the right salary/commission, actually reaching profitability etc etc). Although Eventbrite celebrates & boasts of it's "startup culture" it no longer exists. In reality management want everyone to behave like they are... in a big, musty old corporate machine with no diversity, no freedom / trust / autonomy, a very slow pace of change, an extremely hierarchical structure and a general "do as I say not as I do" attitude. This is a shame and a waste of the talent & loyalty of the staff that built and stuck with it over the last crucial 3-5 years or so. It's no wonder the last 12 months have seen a mass exodus of key staff members from all departments in every country Eventbrite operates. This is a business that's lost it's direction and lost it's soul.

Advice to Management

Trust and listen to your staff. You hired them, now give them the autonomy to do their jobs without micromanagement. Take international teams more seriously. Take the time to understand them and think of them first, not last, if global expansion is truly your goal. Care more for your employees, don't make them feel dispensable (even if you think they are it will cost you more to have to keep hiring & training new... people than make the people you have feel valued). Value diversity - cookie-cutter teams have a short shelf life and won't learn & grow from each other. Give people clear paths & opportunity for progression - don't promise promotions every quarter that will never arrive

Eventbrite2017-02-21

February 27, 2017General Manager UK/Ire

Thanks for your feedback, I'd like to respond here but also invite you to come chat with me to continue the discussion. Our business has evolved, especially in the UK. With the growth in the market comes the responsibility to add more process and structure to make sure we can scale. ...

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office in a good location Catered lunch, as well as drinks and snacks Some great team members

Cons

Eventbrite WAS a great place to work. There was a real buzz and people were collaborating across the business towards achieving a common goal - which was making Eventbrite a great success. It was also an environment where management/leadership were supportive and it felt like we were all in it together. However things changed... Understandably when a company grows it needs to get more streamlined processes,... systems and become accountable - it is debatable if this has happened at Eventbrite - what is becoming clear though is that the culture has taken a dive. Leadership appears to have taken an 'us and them' approach - lots of 'have you got a minute mate, let's grab a room/go for a walk' type chats. Minimal communication. Lots of people leaving quite quickly and quite uncertain what the long game is. Leadership seems to neglect that employees emotionally invest in a company and work hard to make it a success. To have a leader say 'tough, there are worse places to work' when raising concerns is incredibly demotivating. A lack of trust has also crept in, management have spoken negatively about absent employees in open spaces as well as making inappropriate comments about employees personal lives. Management has also been vocal about their political views - which is fine - however the ways and means that this has been done has left quite a few feeling uncomfortable. Inconsistent career progression It seems that HR are quick to respond to Glassdoor reviews however the reality is that HR on the whole were unresponsive and seemed to be more focussed on the US.

Advice to Management

Don't just hire corporate men - there is a huge and diverse talent pool out there As well as tech people Eventbrite also needs people who know the ticketing space Get to know your teams properly Communicate well and regularly with positive intent If you do run things like 'culture focus groups' follow up - people participated as they want to drive positive change Play nicely and try and minimise politics

Eventbrite2017-02-20

February 27, 2017General Manager UK&Ire

I am really sorry you didn't feel like you could discuss this with your manager before you left. That is certainly not the work environment I want to have here. As you noted, our business has shifted and changed in the UK in the past few years as we've grown considerably and are working ...

Found 329 reviews