Gartner Reviews

Updated 9 Aug 2020

3.6
Pros
  • "I have enjoyed working at Gartner due to the work / life balance it provides me as a sales rep(in 347 reviews)

• "Excellent work Environment and supportive to all(in 163 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Truly the best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Associate in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- fair pay - good benefits, such as private health, a good pension and free gym on site - metrics-driven, but this is only to enable you to be able to figure out how to improve, if you're achieving results this is not over-emphasised (the way it should be) - combination of fast-growing business and large business, meaning there are strong best-practices and resources you can take advantage of to be successful, whilst knowing by doing well there will be opportunity for you to grow and develop - fair expectations you can realistically overachieve on: this is a high performing business with high expectations so if you want to coast it's not for you, but from experience the targets are motivating and realistic and rewards for overachievement are great compared to what you'll normally find elsewhere -friendly people everywhere I've met, there's a culture of helping colleagues with no personal incentive to do so (it's not a lone wolf mentality culture) - my manager has been incredibly supportive in my time here as has my VP who is US based - I can't speak to everyone's experience in terms of cost-cutting during covid but my experience has been that they have handled this really well, taking steps to cost cut where they can to avoid making redundancies as much as possible, finding different roles for at risk staff who are at least meeting expectation in their current role wherever possible.

Cons

- more flexible working for experienced hires would be good, which is likely to be the case post-covid. Previous to covid, this has always been at individual manager's discretion and whilst some are very open to it, others I understand are not.

Continue reading
  2. "Very Happy at Gartner"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative workspace, professional development, attainable targets

Cons

can be very meeting heavy

3. "Love it"

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better than an MBA, great career prospects

Cons

Metric driven, pushed to compromise client relationships to drive growth

4. "Very results driven"

Current Employee - Client Services in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

+ learning and development opportunities + helpful colleagues

Cons

- highly focused on metrics

"Devious culture spoils potential"

2.0
    Former Employee - Partner
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong learning potential. Strong brand credibility. Strong visibility with senior clients leading to potential career advancements.

Cons

Multiple sackings at senior level in consulting this year due to fraud and internal inappropriate affairs between staff members. Industry Leaders are terrifyingly political and power hungry, with little accountability for their actions. Poor ability to change. Little investigation into issues raised by either HR or senior management.

Continue reading
  6. "Amazing organisation to work for"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Tremendous Academy which will set you up for success both at Gartner and post Gartner. Working with senior level executive across the Globe solving complex needs.

Cons

Internal systems are somehow dated. Need to play to corporate game to be considered for any promotion.

7. "Great learning"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Egham, England

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

sales training, work with C-level, learn about the market

Cons

Low compensation, micro management, office location

8. "Good company to work for"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

- Ability to have different career opportunities within company - Networking

Cons

- Top heavy management with little ability to make decisions in your own role - No flexible working

9. COVID-19

"Lovely from the outside, too many flaws from the inside"

1.0
    Current Employee - CSO in Egham, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Smart talented colleagues - C-level client exposure - Good brand on your CV and stepping stone

Cons

Review 2.0 since the previous one had to be deleted. - A mediocre salary compared to similar roles in the market. - A ridiculously high attrition rate. - Lots of micromanagement (many times it feels like i’m back to primary school only with adults this time). - Success can sometimes be a grey area due to signs of favoritism in some teams (people can clearly see who gets rewarded and how unfair it sometimes is towards others who don’t get their deserved recognition and / or promotion). No one dares to say what they truly think anymore because it supposedly damages your personal brand. As a result of this kind of culture, everyone tends to just think about their own brands and be diplomatic (sometimes it’s so cringy when you hear people speak in a fake manner). -During the academy I was taught “mission over metrics” but during the mid year and end of year evaluation, the main focus of my evaluation was on my METRICS and my bonus was calculated based on my METRICS. So for the love of god, please make up your mind Gartner, is it “mission over metrics” or “metrics over mission”?! Also your way of evaluating people of a specific unit who are collaborating with people from another business unit is not in sync. For example: Retention is not always in our control because the power in making decisions sits with Sales who think about their CV and NCVI which would make sense if the rest of the account team is also measured the same way but CSO people are measured differently. This discrepency in how the account team is evaluated shows why many times there is a conflict of interest and leads to internal frustrations. - Territories are generally too big to be managed by 1 FTE. I automatically find myself having to work longer hours to meet my numbers or just not bother anymore but then my numbers will become bad. This will supposedly mean that I am not doing my job correctly meaning that I need extra support hence I will receive even more micromanagement. Now with covid clients want frequent interactions and that is understandable yet managers and US leadership expect us to deliver as if everything is still normal because the way how they measure our performance has not changed. - So far I haven’t received any support for my professional/personal development even though I’ve asked for it many times. Every month it’s about the list of clients that I need to engage, speak to, etc etc and zero times about what I want to learn and how I want to develop myself within the organization. If there is any kind of professional development then 9/10 cases it involves a promotion to a similar role in premium services to become... a glorified PA! This is because it is the most common path people take within CSO where people eventually end up having even more admin tasks, having to abide to more processes and rules, and less time to focus on any specific area to further develop themselves. Some move to Sales but that is another world so i’d recommend you read other reviews, and a handful moved to consulting but those have left within 1 -2 years for whatever reason. - The office is in the middle of nowhere. Public transport (train and tube): ~ £380 - 500/month if you are coming from London like many people are. - No flexibility to work from home and, from what I understood from other colleagues, many people have been trying to ask for more flexibility to the US and regional leadership team for working more remotely but it has always been ignored / rejected. This year a pilot has been introduced from January to June to test if working one day a week (monday and fridays were no options to choose from - what a joke!) would be a success but this whole covid situation has shown us that everyone can work effectively from home, deliver “value” and help clients with their “mission critical priorities”. So being in the office doesn’t automatically translate to success because working remotely also shows success. - Very limited diversity across the org mainly in middle management and leadership positions.

10. "Great work experience"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Staines, England

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Client exposure, strong processes in place

Cons

They are very metrics oriented

Found 3237 reviews