Hotjar Reviews

Updated 26 Mar 2020

4.9
Hotjar CEO David Darmanin
David Darmanin
  1. "Best company I have worked for by far"

Current Employee - Paid Marketing Specialist in York, England

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rigorous recruitment process to ensure you are the right fit for the role and the role is right for you too Transparency Honesty Friendliness Lots of opportunity for personal development People who genuinely care and want to see you succeed People who listen and take feedback on board Regular 1:1s with your lead Trust Remote working Work the hours you are at your best

Cons

As long as you can manage your working time, ensuring you don't over-work yourself (which is a risk when working remote) there are no cons for me.

Continue reading

"A great company that listens to and implements feedback"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hotjar really listen to feedback and implement it to improve the company. This isn't just the leadership either; it genuinely feels like everyone in the company will take suggestions on board and see how we can make the company better for our customers and the rest of the team. The company puts a lot of effort into supporting working remotely. Because working remotely is a core part of who we are, Hotjar doesn't reduce pay or other perks. I talk to my colleagues more as a remote worker than I ever did while working in an office!

Cons

While having the freedom to sort your own expenses is good, the process for tracking it takes some getting used to at first. You'll definitely need to put it in your calendar as a weekly process!

Continue reading

"Best job and company ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people make the difference in any job. Everyone works hard and the company encourages us to take down time with generous vacation time and bonuses throughout the year. Lots of opportunity to grow and take on more responsibility.

Cons

A bit understaffed currently but only due to massive growth and the hiring teams are actively hiring. The long recruitment process means that people stay once hired and that they are much better fit than a quick hire.

Continue reading

"Vibrant, Progressive, and Fun Workplace"

5.0

I have been working at Hotjar full-time

Pros

There's a ton...100% remote workplace. Hotjar does not care where you work. The management team realizes people work best when they are trusted, empowered and comfortable. There's also some amazing perks like 40 days of paid leave a year, a home office budget, company retreats and more. My co-workers are wicked smart and our product is amazing. It's an amazing place to work.

Cons

Because we're 100% remote it can sometimes be hard to get in contact with the person you're trying to connect with when you're trying to connect with them. They could be on the other side of the world. We've got the tools in place to facilitate this but it takes some getting used to.

Continue reading

"Best company to work for"

5.0

I have been working at Hotjar

Pros

Hotjar have an incredibly refreshing approach to how they treat their employees - they don't just say they're going to treat us well, they demonstrably act on it. As well as the freedom and flexibility of being a fully remote company, and an insanly great benefits package, the culture at Hotjar is one of growth, support, and fun. Us developing and improving as employees can only ever be a good thing for the company, and it's great to see an employer put that in action through constant encouragement to keep learning all the time.

Cons

I haven't yet found anything negative I'd be able to say about Hotjar.

Continue reading
  6. "Amazing culture and very smart people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company built on transparency & trust. Transparency is not just a fancy word here, one example - employees have access to the financial results of the company, how much company has on the bank account, how much is it spending, etc. Trust is the same thing, no one is looking over your shoulder & micromanaging you, the company gives you prepaid credit card on the day 1, etc. All the people I've met with so far are very smart and excited about what they're doing... I'm really excited about being here!

Cons

Nothing comes to my mind

7. "Great Culture, Great Product and Excellent"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Berlin

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Inclusive Culture Great Product Values are lived and not just written in a confluence page and swag Putting Customers first is a reality Individual Contributors are enabled to be leaders

Cons

Fully distributed: if you don't like working fully remote, Hotjar is not for you

8. "Transparent company with great people, strong CEO leadership, and an exciting market opportunity"

Current Employee - Vice President, Marketing in Barcelona

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people at Hotjar are incredible (talented, no egos, hard-working, and fun to be around) - The CEO knows the company, employees, and market well. He truly cares about building a sustainable business where people love to go to work - Hotjar has many loyal customers and they play a genuine role in the constant development and improvement of the product... customer-centricity isn't just a buzzword! - The company is values-driven...vales are used as a practical tool to help people have autonomy

Cons

Not a con as such but as the company grows and becomes more specialized, we'll have to work even harder to maintain the great culture that's been built up until now.

"Concept Does not Scale"

1.0
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Hotjar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Perks, remote work location.

Cons

CEO has no idea of the future and the Marketshare he wants to get in the analytics market. Don't think this company will reach a peak growth. Typical European working attitude.

Hotjar Response

July 4, 2019

David here – CEO of Hotjar. It's a pity you had to use false information for this review. Everyone who joined the Hotjar team in Devops is still working for the business. The fact that you talk about 'marketshare' and 'analytics market' shows that you are not aware of how we run the business and our goals... which makes me question whether you actually worked for us at all... or perhaps you did so for a short time some years ago. Regardless I will still address your points :) 1. The Future I'm proud to say that I am a CEO that has no idea what the future will look like. Any CEO that claims to is fooling themselves / others. Instead, at Hotjar we're focused on 1. obsessing over our users (so we truly understand their challenges and goals) and 2. building a team and org that can adapt and respond quickly to change. 2. Marketshare / Peak Growth Why does the business world have to obsessed with fighting / winning and dominating / destroying. While we keep track of Hotjar's use and popularity we're more focused on putting our dent in the universe. We don't have to own the universe :) I highly recommend you read the chapter 'Happy Pacifists' in the book 'It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work'... which is written by a US entrepreneur who runs a US company called Basecamp. 3. Analytics Market Hotjar is more than just an 'analytics tool'... Hotjar answers questions about your users that traditional web analytics can’t. We do this with both Behavioral Analytics and User Feedback. There are currently more than 24,000 companies that pay on a monthly basis for the insights Hotjar delivers. I'm quite sure that’s barely a blip of the overall market and we're fine with that. We’re doing our best to serve our customers well and that’s what matters. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling our market share doesn’t matter. 4. 'Typical European working attitude' We don't consider ourselves to be European – our team of 80 comes from 20 countries around the world. I also don't think it's healthy to stereotype in this way. I guess if you feel this way and based on the comments above, Hotjar is def not the right fit for you. Anyone who wants to learn more about our values and how we run the business can read this article on our blog: https://www.hotjar.com/blog/company-values

10. "Great experience"

I have been working at Hotjar full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hiring process is great, the concept of doing a task and allowing you to be fully involved with the team gives you a very good idea of the company before you actually join. In general, awesome company to work for, you know that the company really takes care of the employees and on top of that the product is great and overall the company has a very bright future ahead. The team is very diverse with a very open culture and high level of expertise.

Cons

Can't really think of anything that's a con per se. One thing to think about is that working remotely might take some getting used to if you've never tried it before but it can open a world of amazing possibilities.

Found 26 reviews