HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

HubSpot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult to work out at first" (in 48 reviews)

• "With growth comes growing pains" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still great after 4+ years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HubSpot now for almost 4 years and there's nowhere else I've even thought about working in that time. Why? HubSpot is a great place to work. I feel like I'm valued. I have a lot of autonomy in how and when and where I work. I feel strongly about the mission of the company. All in all, I'm extremely happy here.

Cons

As the company grows, scaling communication and decision making becomes more difficult. Luckily, it's something that's top of mind for many people who are working to make communication easier and better.

HubSpot Response

11 Jun 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for spending 4+ years with us and for your kind review--I'm super grateful to you for sharing it. I agree with you on scaling communication and decision making--my hope is that the investments... More

"Good Company"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Good pay + perks, interesting technical problems, excellent colleagues.

Cons

Culture is very positive/gung ho - can be a little much at times.

3. "Great environment and company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, very collaborative and supportive teams
    Flexible working hours and remote work available
    Great office space
    Strong focus on diversity and inclusion
    Great benefits

Cons

No major cons - Very open on addressing employee concerns

4. "I can't believe I get to work for Hubspot!"

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager (CAM) in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager (CAM) in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- This company is unbelievable.
    - I literally wake up every day astounded that I work for such an amazing company.
    - The training is incredible.
    - The work itself is extremely fulfilling.
    - The compensation is phenomenal.
    - The benefits are very lucrative.
    - The culture is unmatched.
    - I'm a remote employee and work entirely from home, so I get an opportunity to "run my own business" but also still feel engaged and a part of the culture from afar! - There is so much opportunity to get plugged in beyong your job description. Despite being very new to the company, I was able to join the Culture Squad for my segment AND I was elected to fill a leadership role within the team!
    - I'm constantly surrounded by such strong, high capacity leaders. Really, the hiring process is so thorough that when you finally make it through the door, you realize your in the company of some seriously brilliant peers.
    - I could go on and on. Really, I can't recommend this place to anyone doing the research about it. By far the best job I've ever had, and I am looking forward to growing and developing a long term career here.
    - Thank you for everything, HubSpot!

Cons

- Training and Onboarding is INTENSE. Really. You will be fully equipped to succeed if you take training seriously. But onboarding is very intense. You WILL have a moment of "imposter syndrome" at some point thinking that you tricked the managers and that you're not qualified. But YOU ARE. You were hired on purpose. But take training seriously, and manage the pressure well and you will be great!

- The onboard Remote employees is extra tough. I don't say it arrogantly, but I strongly believe that it take a special person to work remotely. HubSpot is constantly improving the remote onboarding process, but be prepared to show your stuff with you ability to figure things out as you go!

- There seems to be limiting formal leadership opportunity for remote employees. I have a ways to go before any sort of promotions, but I'm not sure the management opportunities exist for remote employees today.

Advice to Management

Just keep crushing it. I have worked for some seriously tocis managers and leaders. YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THEM. Continue to value your employees. The amount of value you place on me just makes me want to continue to bust my tail for you. It's an honor doing what we do with each of you!

"Lively and earnest"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- smart and friendly people
    - interesting work
    - ample opportunity to grow
    - autonomous teams are agile and fight bloat
    - personal boundaries for work-life harmony are respected
    - leadership is genuine when encouraging employees to take time off and recharge
    - unlimited vacation/PTO - use good judgement
    - flexibility to work remote is awesome
    - key job-critical tools are all in the cloud, meaning I can work from different computers if necessary, which makes the work-remote perk even more reliable
    - conference rooms with Zoom are PURE MAGIC and really make it easier to connect with colleages in different offices globally
    - really excellent healthcare plan
    - Cambridge office is gorgeous

Cons

- work-life harmony doesn't just happen, HubSpot is full of go-getters so of course the momentum is to get stuff done; that being said, when you make a clear boundary, people warmly respect it!
    - pro tip, unlimited vacation means that you can't get paid for unused days if you were to transition to another company, so, better make good use of them! :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight in terms of keeping HubSpot teams autonomous and agile. Every approach has pros and cons, and in this case the cons are totally worth it for the pros. Things can get messy, communication can be hard, stuff moves so fast it's hard to keep track -- but that keeps life exciting, keeps us humble, and is so much better than being stagnant.

6. "Great Work Environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at HubSpot (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, friendly, hard working peers!

Cons

Nothing - great experience! Would recommend to a friend!

Advice to Management

Better transition for interns to become full time!

7. "Easy going and work well with others great leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement reread into get up improve company and workplace

Cons

Finding the right team or employees, dealing with rejection

Advice to Management

Give time for employees to grow with experience

8. "IS"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Cultural code is very important there

Cons

I dont find any cons of working there

9. "Overall great company, but Support position is dreadful"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HubSpot is a good company to work for. There are great employee benefits and the people you work with are really incredible. The hiring process and onboarding process ran extremely smooth and demonstrated what values HubSpot has and wants to represent. The stock option and unlimited paid holidays are a nice perk. The office space is really nice and it is noticeable that HubSpot cares about the working environment.

Cons

The role of Support Specialist really really sucks. At first and throughout training, the role was interesting as we learned a lot and got familiarized with HubSpot. After about 3 months and when we officially started the role is when I started noticing the downsides. Of course dealing with angry customers is part of job but that isn't even one of my complaints.

My biggest problem with the Support role is the salary. We earn $40,000 per year which essentially is about $15/hour (after tax and benefits). For the amount of information we are expected to learn, retain, apply and teach our customers it is ABSOLUTELY unfair. It wouldn't be too bad if everyone else at the company made around this amount but it is a joke that other departments (e.g. sales) get all expense trips to Europe completely paid for when HubSpot says that "support is what makes us unique". If it makes us unique, then value us and pay us accordingly. We don't care about getting a smoothie barista, we want a pay raise. We don't need HubSpot swag, we need money to pay rent. We don't need free blue bikes, because we live far away because we can't afford to live closer. Most of us just got through studying and need to pay off student loans. We are living with our parents to be able to afford anything fun in life.

Overtime is discouraged by management but impossible to get your work done without (which btw. only pays half time any way). Management would rather have you not hit your metrics rather than having us file for overtime but then forces you to make up for it on other days. This discourages us from filing for overtime but still working late. Many of the support reps also work through lunch time because it is practically impossible to hit your metrics if you don't specialize or cherry pick tickets.

Management is under the assumption that it is as simple as doing 2 tickets per hour, each taking 12 minutes (per call) and then doing follow up in the mean time. When in reality, calls can take longer and follow up and go on for days. This is not taken under consideration and we have to hit our daily target, regardless of long calls or one of the many trainings we need to complete.

It is exhausting to have to hit daily targets and puts a lot of pressure on us to work our butts off EVERY SINGLE DAY. Which I don't mind, because I enjoy working hard, but not if I am having a bad day or I have a lot of other stuff on my plate. I understand that we need to be available to answer our customers but then hire more staff! It is not up to us to make up for there not being enough reps.

We also never knew about the 9 hour workday, weekend shifts, and late shifts. During our training, this was not outlined. Neither in the recruiting process...

During work we are hassled to answer phones, even if we are trying to service an existing customer that might churn. We geht @here'd every 5 minutes. We all know customers are calling, we are just choosing to do something that might be more important than answering the phone in 3 minutes.

The 9 month minimum tenure on this job before moving on is keeping us hostage from doing anything we would enjoy doing.

THIS JOB IS STRESSFUL

Advice to Management

Pay more, hire more, empathize more

"Lots of smart people, but they know they're smart."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is industry standard for most roles- no better, no worse.

In-office benefits like stocked kitchen, gym, beer, and coffee are nice.

You learn a lot, and having HubSpot in your resume is always good.

Fun place to work if you're new to Boston, or just out of college and looking to network with other young people.

Cons

There are many problematic elements about working at HubSpot. Many of them are well-documented in prior reviews so I won’t waste space on them here. But here are a few themes that haven’t been delved into too much here.

Work/Life balance
    Many teams at HubSpot work harder, not smarter. Employees who work long hours are seen as more committed, and more productive. Employees who utilize the “unlimited vacation policy” are often seen as frivolous and lazy. I was encouraged to take fewer days off after my wedding, and even when my spouse was in the hospital. The expectation was you’d always have your laptop “in case anything came up.” If someone left their desk before 6pm, you’d often hear them say something like “I have to go to an appointment but I’ll be back online by 8.” Oftentimes managers would communicate this as well- reinforcing the idea that you needed to be “online” 24/7.

Age
    Much has been said about HubSpot’s lack of diversity. I do believe there’s a good-faith effort to improve this, and I respect the standards they’re trying to set in the industry in this matter. But what they seem unwilling to address is the lack of age diversity. Among all the people I collaborated with at HubSpot, I’m struggling to think of even one person who was over the age of 35. There are a lot of problems with this, obviously, but one thing that stuck with me was the “inmates running the asylum” vibe. Over and over again, major problems were left to a bunch of 25 years old employees to solve. While we (I was one of those 25 year olds) struggled to find solutions, these “crises” could have been solved easily through the lens of experience. Reflecting back, I often think about how every day felt like a fire drill at HubSpot, and I think much of that is because we all had no frame of reference. It was nearly everyone’s first or second job, and we all could have really benefited from someone working with us that had longevity in the industry, or longevity even in an office setting.

Ego
    Now here’s something with a harder solve. HubSpot has an ego problem. Employees are told over and over that they’re the best, the most intelligent, etc etc. and that ethos is internalized by many. There’s a “win at all costs” mentality that causes high tension between employees, and fosters and extremely competitive environment internally. There’s a “watch your back” culture- your teammates WILL undercut you to get ahead. Leaders who’ve had complaints leveled against them time and time again continue to get promoted or shuffled around departments. If you provide results (hit your goals, etc) you’ll be held up as a “golden boy” and protected.

Advice to Management

Hire more grown ups.

HubSpot Response

7 Jan 2019 – Chief People Officer

I'm really saddened to read this, and sorry to hear your experience at HubSpot fell short of your expectations. I can't tell when you worked at HubSpot, but my hope is that the experience has... More