MHR Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Anton Roe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The starting salaries are pretty good, and some of the people are nice" (in 6 reviews)

• "Free parking, Provide lots of training, listen to staff, invest on staff morale" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "More home working should be made available to the wider business, some would say dress code therefore a dress down day" (in 14 reviews)

• "replacing staff lost through high turnover" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company to work For"

Former Employee - Test Automation Engineer in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Test Automation Engineer in Nottingham, England

I worked at MHR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. MHR provided its employee a solid platform for self development
    2. Good people all around and great culture within the company
    3. Internal promotion rate is excellent
    4. Competitive salary and good employee benefit package
    5. Free parking space
    6. No micro management as management trust you to get on with your work
    7. Very stable company, so you don't have to worry about redundancy. Lots of people with over 10-years with the company, shows people are happy working for the company.
    8. Employee contribution is recognized and celebrated monthly, quarterly and annually.
    9. Overall I have had an amazing 2-years at MHR and I will certainly recommend the company to anyone looking to work for a good company. I only left because I relocated to London with my family, otherwise, I will still be working for MHR

Cons

Personally, I didn't have any negative experience working for MHR. However, it does not mean the company is 100% perfect, surely there is room for improvement, for instance, being proactive rather than reactive to employee management.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be a bit more responsive when issues are raised, as sometimes, they are slow to react until the situation gets a bit awkward.

24 Nov 2017 – Head of HR

Thanks for the really detailed review, it’s clear that you had a great experience at MHR. It’s good to hear that we are getting it right when it comes to culture, development and opportunities for... More

"Highly rewarding company and environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I have been working at MHR full-time

Pros

MHR invests heavily in its people, its products and the environments we work in. It’s a progressive company with a clear vision. There are many pros to working here, great teams, great environment, cool products and a secure future.

MHR proactively supports progression and career movement. Invest in MHR and they will heavily invest in you.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keeping doing what you are doing.

17 Aug 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you taking time to leave this review.
    We are working hard and will continue to do so in order to further build an environment where every employee can succeed and as you have stated, we... More

3. "Been there a while now"

I have been working at MHR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Investing in facilities, and not as bad as made out in the reviews, many employees want to come back. Strong product offerings, some great people

Cons

Culture works against the morale

Advice to Management

Focus on margin and good governance/process control and the revenue will come. Focus on revenue and the sake of other things and that when thing start to go wrong

17 Aug 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you taking time to leave this review. We work hard, and continue to do so, to create an environment where every employee can succeed and as you state, we have had many employees return to us... More

"An unfortunate wiff of nastiness about the place"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at MHR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impressive head offices which do portray a highly successful and professional working environment

Discounted but lovely dining facility

Product is very good if you are a public sector organisation

Company is ambitious with investment

Cons

Of course as you would expect, there are some genuinely nice people at MHR but on the whole its completely true (no matter how much it’s defended on here) that there really is a wiff of ‘every man for himself’ & ‘your face must fit’ & ‘if you don’t like it then tough’ and thats not even the worst of it sadly.

I’ve heard Management say insulting and to be perfectly honest hurtful things about members of their own teams to other team members, it’s honestly bizarre that someone would think that’s acceptable.

There’s a lot of cliques or ‘untouchables’ so they might think, that push their weight around (not always management but certainly management are included) excercising their misplaced judgement on their own power and influence to make their opinions known if they don’t like someone it’s funny how they end up gone!! Just like that!! You can here them snigger “they won’t last long” instead of trying to lead by supporting or encouragement my experience was people lead by fear and nastiness.

I’m sure there are some well knitted teams at MHR and people who have a genuine great experience but I haven’t heard anyone say this and think they are few and far between.

I’m pleased to share my honest review on a forum and hope it provides plenty of warning for potential applicants.

Advice to Management

As if anything will change.

Take a close look a yourselves and ask the question - do I treat others how I would want to be treated?

5. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Payroll Analyst in Ruddington, England
    Former Employee - Payroll Analyst in Ruddington, England

I worked at MHR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training. MHR really know how to bring you up to speed with legislation. The company are striving to make MHR a great place to work and know when to reward employees for a job well done. They work really hard to make work life balance complete.

Cons

There are no negatives to report.

Advice to Management

Carry on getting better at what you do. My team leader Chris Mellors was very approachable and understanding. He's a credit to MHR.

6. "Stay away if you care about your mental health"

I worked at MHR full-time

Pros

- Subsided canteen;
    - Possibility to buy/sell holidays;
    - Some people are truly great - real professionals at what they do! (sadly a lot of them are undervalued);
    - Parking on the premises;
    - Beautiful garden.

Cons

Well it is difficult to find where to start. First of all, all the negative comments you see here are totally true. The other ones are very much likely being generated by HR.
    - MHR operates under the fear management. You will constantly hear some terrible rumours, from your day one. You never know who to trust either;
    - They are constantly recruiting (they grew 200+ people in 6 months), but absolutely cannot manage this growth. They are constantly loosing good professionals to their competitors, as they fail to look after their talented performers;
    - There are a lot of bully management and nothing is done about it. Everybody knows who bullies are, even HR. They better will get rid of staff than of managers though;
    - They recently launched a new product but none of the MHR staff is actually liking it. It does not work properly as such;
    - There is no trust between the employer and employees.

Advice to Management

You have some great people which are not recognised. Stop listening to managers only, go and find out the truth by talking to their teams too. Address the bullying. Stop recognising sales teams only, there is plenty of people who do hard work and stay overtime doing other jobs.

17 Aug 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at MHR. It is a shame you didn’t take the time to raise your concerns with me or your HR Business Partner, so we... More

"Great opportunities - but lacking real direction"

I worked at MHR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some fantastic, bright, fun people
    Given some great opportunities to progress career
    Had a great mentor
    Beautiful product to work around - but never instilling the same culture the products believe in.

Cons

Not enough ownership or trust given to employees across the board
    They look after those that they like and will find a way to get you out if they don't
    Leaving process handled very badly - as soon as you hand your notice in your were treated very poorly. I worked really hard for MHR and there was no thanks or acknowledgment of any of that when leaving.
    Business direction changes on a whim - with no explanation or encouragement. Can be very unsettling.
    Too many middle management - too many people to throw under the bus before it reaches higher up.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do their jobs and make the decisions that you pay them for.
    Lose the iron fist ruling - you have great people who want to work for you, don't lose them by treating them badly.

19 Jun 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback and we totally agree that here at MHR we indeed have some fantastic, bright and fun people who work with our excellent product(s). As your comments also testify we offer... More

"A difficult place to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I worked at MHR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The facilities are outstanding and they do invest greatly into their product and technology. MHR has some brilliant people working there, some diamonds in the rough.

Cons

There is definitely a sense of fear whilst working at MHR, it made numerous people I worked with very uncomfortable and anxious. On multiple occasions I witnessed several colleagues dismissed due to petty reasons, which of course instilled further fear into many staff members. You would hear rumblings and stories from colleagues who had been warned for wearing a shirt that wasn't pristine white, or having shoes that were not polished correctly, or how people would be informed to take a holiday if they were planning to grow a beard. MHR, has countless rumors that stir around it and I encountered several before even being an employee. These rumors very much have a negative effect on your happiness working at MHR, they swirl around you constantly therefore giving you this feeling of being 'on edge'. A culture of fear was paramount around the team. Countless times you would see employees in tears from comments made from Directors and Chiefs, needless comments that belong out of the workplace.

MHR certainly seeks perfection, which is a perfectly reasonable expectation, however work expectations change like the wind, your work will often go unnoticed, you will be subject to possible calls late at night in regards to work. Work life balance is still being worked on for certain. There is constant movement in senior levels, which of course trickles down to create unease, your managers can change on a whim for what appears to be no reason. The way staff are spoken to is deplorable, and absolutely disgusting on occasion. MHR has incredibly low levels of retention which make for a revolving door of staff, which puts a tremendous amount of stress on your role.

There are numerous factions within MHR, which make working between departments very frustrating. Personal feelings are never put aside for the betterment of the workplace.

Lastly and most disappointingly, outright racism & sexism was prominent at the top of MHR. The extent of which is revolting. Comments made about women and minority members of staff paint a picture of a company from the 1920's. Constant excuses are made for this behavior, instead of being held accountable, people are fearful of saying anything through fear of being dismissed. Attempts at solving these problems or even mentioning them are swept under the rug.

I don't have to not recommend MHR to you, as you'll probably have several people informing you of the place prior to reading this. The majority of the poor ratings and the comments made within them are sadly true and for a bright, forward thinking company... it's very concerning.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable, remove the fear and remember times have changed more than just technology.

9 Jul 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback and for highlighting the brilliant people we have working here at MHR. However I am not sure I can agree with your comments regarding there being a sense of fear amongst... More

"Culture like from 20 years ago"

Current Employee - Outsourcing Administrative in Ruddington, England
    Current Employee - Outsourcing Administrative in Ruddington, England

I have been working at MHR part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice canteen
    Nice people
    Car parking
    Building is currently being updated

Cons

Chairman stuck in old days
    Suits a must
    Not future of work but past of work culture

23 May 2018 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for highlighting the many positives of working at MHR, including the buildings and facilities which we are continuously investing in to ensure a great working environment for all.

As an... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Payroll in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Payroll in Nottingham, England

I worked at MHR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros I have is MHR shows you who the worst people in the world are and they all work there.

Cons

Directors can’t direct
    Managers can’t manage
    Team leaders can’t lead

The only people who have a clue is the staff who get paid pennies but work the hardest.

Advice to Management

Find a job you can actual do and not fake it

21 May 2018 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. Clearly you didn’t enjoy your time at MHR. The only surprise to us, is that you stuck it out for 3-years, so it can’t all be bad? Every one at every level in our business... More