Onfido Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.6
Onfido CEO, CoFounder Husayn Kassai
Husayn Kassai

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is growing very quickly and adapting to change (in 7 reviews)

• Transparent and flexible (great work-life balance, work from home policy etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Vague career progression path in most engineering roles (in 5 reviews)

• Being best friends with one of the hiring managers (This is prevalent in Customer Success especially) (in 4 reviews)

1. "Exceptional talent, culture, and opportunities"

I worked at Onfido full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was at Onfido since the early days and saw the company evolve from a fledgling startup to a serious business over the course of three years.

Despite the changes it underwent during this period the company consistently maintained the same core values and ethos: its drive towards innovation; its investment in talent; and its treatment of employees.

Above all, Onfido invests in people, and this value is communicated in every action one has with the business - from initial conversations during recruitment through to the inner workings of your role.

This investment in people is coupled with an ability to attract exceptional talent, which makes working at Onfido a great learning opportunity.

Similarly, Onfido has a very meritocratic culture. This has given a large number of talented, but junior employees exceptional opportunities to advance their career by entrusting them with signifiant responsibility. Naturally this was more true when the business was smaller and less mature, but it nevertheless remains an organisation that rewards able and hard-working employees.

Cons

For some periods of my tenure at Onfido there was a lack of structure and process. This is understandable for a startup undergoing a rapid growth phase but perhaps could have been handled better to provide a more steady environment for employees to operate in and achieve their potential.

Onfido has always struggled to achieve strategic focus in its vision, for right or wrong. The wide breadth of products, projects and initiatives this leads to can at times be difficult to juggle.

Advice to Management

Be conscious of the tension between a people-first, warm culture and ruthless business progression.

Bring as much market, product, and operational focus as is reasonably possible.

2. "Best Company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

passionate and smart team always willing to help. Onfido is the place to be if you want a company that cares about you. The People Team and cofounders spend so much time looking after the employees. Ask anyone from the team the best thing about Onfido and they will say "people" or "culture".

also career opportunities, myself and my peers have joined in one role and transitioned to another one as we grow. company cares about careers.

good pay vs other startups

Cons

nothing comes to mind. fast growing so if you don't like that you may be better suited to a larger company which is more steady.

Advice to Management

keep up the awesome work and never lose the care for the people, it makes Onfido the most special place to work. oh and also keep feeding us amazing food and snacks please ;)

"great company, loved working there"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great staff
    great benefits
    learning a lot
    good direction

Cons

can't think of anything much

Advice to Management

keep it up

1 Jan 2018 – Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed your time here and learnt a lot :)

"Great Company"

I have been working at Onfido full-time

Pros

Everyone at Onfido is always trying to find new and better ways to do things.

Cons

It's getting cramped in the current office - can't wait for the new one.

Advice to Management

Continue focussing on growth

1 Jan 2018 – Cofounder & COO

Great to hear you're enjoying working here. New office is happening soon!

"Exciting company taking on an exciting problem"

I have been working at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Identity verification, the market that Onfido is operating in is growing extremely fast, and it is amazing to be able to directly shape the future of digital identity and trust.

Having worked in various startups before, and having seen the pain of growing, I am impressed by how Onfido is handling this by holding onto key company and employee values and yet effectively adapting according to the various organisational needs and challenges that come up.

Last but not least, working with a group of high-motivated, and open-minded people is a real pleasure!

Cons

Cannot think of anything major that's worth mentioning

Advice to Management

At this stage, the company requires razor-sharp focus. This, I feel, is what is going to determine how successful Onfido becomes.

1 Jan 2018 – Cofounder & COO

Love this detailed review!

Agreed - focus will be everything over the next few years... let's make it happen!

"Smart and inspiring people, fantastic challenges"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Culture: three words to describe the culture at Onfido are inclusivity, openness and transparency. I am not afraid of giving honest feedback or asking questions, even to co-founders. Everyone is very helpful and will try to help the best they can.

* You can be part of something and contribute from day one. Improvements are always welcome and everyone encourages you to think creatively and find better ways of solving problems.

* Interesting tech stalk containing many new technologies. Company is constantly investing in new technology.

* Challenges! You will not be assigned tasks but given problems to solve. Sometimes it will put you out of your comfort zone but you will learn a lot. At the same time you can always rely on your colleagues and ask for help. I can see myself growing as a professional.

Cons

* Office can be a bit noisy sometimes

Advice to Management

Keep it up and always look for improvements.

"Analytics Lead"

Current Employee - Analytics Lead in London, England
    Current Employee - Analytics Lead in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic team - smart, ambitious and agile
    - Autonomy - chance to have a lot of control and influence on your work in a fast growing start up
    - Constantly Improving - a lot of investment means there's an opportunity to accelerate projects to improve process/infrasture/tools etc. If you can find a better way then you are encouraged to execute.

Cons

- Classic cons with a fast growing startup: hard to have a well defined career path, priorities can change quickly and you need to adapt.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and iterate as we already do.

"Amazing people, dynamic culture, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Onfido for over a year and can thoroughly recommend it as a really special workplace for the following reasons:

1) People, people, people. The people at Onfido are incredibly bright, interesting, warm, and friendly. The People team have worked hard to create an open, supportive, and inclusive culture at the company and this really manifests itself in the day to day life of the business.

2) Flexibility and work/life balance: Onfido practices what it preaches in terms of treating its employees like human beings who have complex lives that need to be balanced with work. Flexible and remote working is always possible and the hours are very reasonable. I've also really taken advantage of the great exercise benefits (free yoga and subsidised gym memberships) and found that many other employees balance their workload with exercise and activities. There is a run club and climbing club and a generally a good culture at the company around well-being.

3) Great place to learn: Speaking of well-being, I've found Onfido a really supportive and encouraging place to learn new skills that I didn't have experience in. Onfido promotes an ethos of iteration, feedback, and 'failing fast' - learning from mistakes. For a first job out of education, this has been a really important part of building my confidence. I've found my team leads and colleagues extremely supportive and always willing to have a chat about challenges or blockers. Onfido also has quite an extraordinary culture around mental health, with free mental health coaching and a generally very positive and progressive attitude towards staying healthy in the workplace.

4) Opportunity to have an impact: Even though Onfido has grown rapidly and is now a large company, there are still ample opportunities to make a difference in how the company solves problems. The founders are extremely approachable, transparent, and inclusive, and my impression has been that many of the teams still work together to define their paths and their work collaboratively. I've always felt like my input and opinions are heard and that I have agency to help determine the work that I do.

Cons

Just one point here and it can also be considered a 'Pro'. Like many companies of its kind, Onfido is growing and changing fast. This means that there are lots of exciting challenges across the board and you often find yourself working on things outside of your role or remit. For people who love variety and a new problem to tackle every day, this can be exciting and rewarding. But if you prefer working within a particular structure or if you struggle to prioritise when pulled in different directions, it can also be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and protect the warm and supportive culture you've created here, and the great work and problem solving will continue to flourish.

"Good startup to work at and learn a lot from"

I worked at Onfido full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- AMAZING colleagues and company culture
    - Good benefits
    - They help you move forward and give you progression opportunities, I saw several of my colleagues even move across teams and change careers
    - Nice office (London)

Cons

- Benefits package could be improved upon

1 Jan 2018 – Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the review! We're adding more benefits every quarter but would love to hear which bits of the package you think needs more work. Drop me an email with any ideas!

"Great company"

Current Employee - Product Designer in London, England
    Current Employee - Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture and values
    - Great work-life balance
    - Transparency
    - Possibility of career progression

Cons

- I've experienced a lack of communication between the product teams, but we are aware of it and try to improve