Ooyala Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9
Ooyala CEO Jonathan Huberman
Jonathan Huberman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Considerate of work life balance, WORK SMART" (in 11 reviews)

• "Free food in the office, ping pong, chill out zones and snacks and drinks on Friday afternoon" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management is clueless about the industry and HR is only there to terminate employees who know the business and disagree with the new management" (in 7 reviews)

• "Few managers hire a lot of people just for the team's headcount to account for their promotion than for the actual needs of the team" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"On the move"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a great team of people here and the London team is especially talented, this has been recognised with many taking on key global positions.
    The products are strong and the plan for 2018 is very positive for customers and employees.
    The new offices are going to be great.

Cons

Sometimes the internal communication is not timely.

Advice to Management

Stick to the new vision and move quickly

2. "Primed for the future!"

I have been working at Ooyala full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The portfolio is powerful, the people the best I have worked with and the company is the most supportive I have ever worked with.

Cons

There's been a lot of changes during the last couple of years, now the foundations are set across the organisation and portfolio to really perform

Advice to Management

Keep making the right decisions to build Ooyala well beyond just OVP

3. "Great company with huge potential"

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Ooyala for almost 3 years in the London office and during my years I've been showed tremendous trust, confidence and potential for personal growth. Ooyala allows you to be creative, find your own path and they are always willing to help you along the way.

Cons

Integration of Nativ and Videoplaza to Ooyala could have been done smoother.

A few changes of the c-level executives and visions in the past years have sometimes been challenging

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent to the employees and stay put to your vision

"Awesome!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Author in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Author in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexi-time, bonuses, very generous salary, friendly co-workers, dynamic and exciting product in a fun field. Good promotion prospects. Free food in the office, ping pong, chill out zones and snacks and drinks on Friday afternoon

Cons

Something of a disconnect between the American office and Europe, in terms of processes. Also, trying to jump ahead too fast, without proper procedures in place

Advice to Management

Terrific atmosphere, keep it up! Great product too.

5. "My first months at Ooyala"

I have been working at Ooyala full-time

Pros

Very friendly environment, lots of helpful colleagues, lots of opportunities to progress in the company.

Cons

Training was slightly disorganised.

"Haters gonna hate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Former employees who posted some of the recent reviews left Ooyala because they couldn't handle working in a bigger and fast growing company, people who never appreciated what HR is doing for them. The company is great, flexible working time, tons of food/fruits/booze in the kitchen, amazing Friday breakfasts and good people around. Good remuneration + bonuses. Work hard and you will be noticed and promoted. Good luck finding that elsewhere!

Cons

London office could be bigger and better equipped/designed. It's an EMEA headquarters but it's lacking the character.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication and hire more people.

2 Sep 2016

Thanks for your words of encouragement and your suggestions have been noted!

"It really is good. REALLY."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very shocked to read all the recent bad reviews.
    We are so spoilt in the office! Loads of food, drinks, snacks in the kitchen; ping pong table, playstation and other games (which not many people seem to be using).
    The HR is not bad at all, and if anything she seems to care more than most (not sure what sort of hand-holding people expect).
    Reading the previous reviews I guess people don't like to change the status quo of not doing much and being paid good money. But the change is happening and it's a GOOD change.
    We are being challenged and should be happy to showcase our skills.
    It's very strange to hear this criticism, when it was never voiced constructively.

Cons

London office is a bit disjointed, but I think it's improving (especially with people who were dragging us down now mostly gone). More effort should be put into making sure the people have the opportunity to integrate.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns, and carry on with the change. Internal communications could improve. Recruit recruiters - we need more candidates.

2 Sep 2016

Thanks for your feedback, great to hear! We take on board your comments and hope that some of our planned initiatives will align with your advice to us.

"A headless disaster"

Current Employee - Systems Ops in London, England
    Current Employee - Systems Ops in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala (More than a year)

Pros

Company prides itself on being 'cool'. Mostly flexable working. Coffee machines. Central location, it's right next to Covent Garden and near East side to Oxford Street.

Cons

A year into moving to the company no attempts by management or personnel to integrate. London personnel are self-serving and most staff feel un-included or out of place. Nepotism from management and especially human resource, they feel in league with each other. Promotions are behind closed doors, are announced without job even being advertised.

With our heads of the management leaving, chaos reigns. Those stepping up are poor. Decisions are made without reason. Communication is unobtainable luxury.

I don't understand why people are still here. Plenty of work in London.

Advice to Management

Start being honest. Take out old personnel. Bring in personnel staff that will defend employees. Not ignore them. I don't know how you make people happy again. Thats your job.

2 Sep 2016

Thanks for your comments and feedback. We are sorry that you have had a difficult experience. We would encourage you to speak to trusted person in a management position who could forward your... More

"A company with serious problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Ooyala full-time

Pros

While the company overall and the London office in particular has deep-rooted problems, there are still some very dedicated people working there.

The money's good, although some would consider it hazard pay.

Cons

After a couple of mismanaged acquisitions, most of the management are clearly out of their depth.
    Big projects have failed and customers been lost due to a lack of accountability and oversight.

People management is a disaster as skills and dedication are not recognised - especially if they make someone higher up look bad.

Career development opportunities are not on offer.
    Even though the company is in desperate need of skills, it finds it easier to recruit from outside than to actively manage existing employees.

Much of the company's middle management seem to live in a dream world where these problems do not exist. No questions are ever asked when good people decide to leave.

The result is that many who actually do a good job have taken themselves elsewhere due to a lack of support and recognition.

Until these problems are actually acknowledged, there won't be any improvement.

Advice to Management

Employees have to be held to account and actual performance rewarded on all levels.
    People managers who are not very good at managing people need to be replaced.

2 Sep 2016

Thanks for your feedback - it is valuable to us. We try and coach people managers in various ways but realise that people management is a soft skill and therefore needs constant attention and your... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ooyala (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, medium sized company: Established and growing and still a lot of opportunity to have an impact
    Very exciting, fast moving industry
    Wonderful customers
    Great culture
    Lots of opportunity for travel and international exposure
    Big ambitions for the future and good financial backing from Telstra Software Group

Cons

Processes not always easy to follow and can sometimes seem onerous
    Management don't always put enough emphasis on supporting their teams and coaching them to develop skills

Advice to Management

Try to care more passionately about your team's development at the same time as focusing on results. You can only get there with their help.