PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance (in 86 reviews)

• The nature of the industry is long hours so definitely not for those who are looking to put in the minimum hours in order to be successful (in 161 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work.

Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business.

Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc.

Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers.

They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas.

The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business.

Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients.

If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company.

- Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly.

- You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering.

- bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Advice to Management

I’ve seen some good people leave because they weren’t allowed to transfer departments (because they were billing well), and I’ve seen others offered promotions to buy them back after leaving. If they are worth those promotions, and if the company doesn’t want to lose them, give them opportunities and reward their work before they get to the point of quitting.

Otherwise, keep doing what you’re doing - love the business.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and... More

2. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, fun and friendly people

Cons

long hours - staple of the industry though.
    they don't have good coffee. A coffee machine wouldn't go astray.

Advice to Management

keep it up

12 Feb 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you found PageGroup a great place to work, despite the coffee!

Last year we introduced Dynamic Working to address the view that you have to work long hours... More

3. "good company"

Former Employee - Consulting in London, England
    Former Employee - Consulting in London, England

Pros

hard work , team, money and progression

Cons

long hours, KPI and high turnover of staff

12 Feb 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and I’m glad you valued the opportunities we have for people at PageGroup.

I appreciate a career in recruitment doesn’t suit everyone and we... More

5. "Great employer way ahead of others in the industry"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career progression and modern approach to recruitment and sales.

Cons

Long hours compared to other industries and not too much intellectually stimulating work.

Advice to Management

To retain Russell Group grads, the job description needs to incorporate more intellectually stimulating work.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you are enjoying your career with PageGroup.
    It’s worth speaking to your manager about how dynamic working might help you get a better work/life balance... More

6. "Great intro to recruitment"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic training, typically aspirational managers and directors, like minded people, typically no lone wolves, good benefits and pay if you do well

Cons

Highly corporate, structured, hire lots of grads, you can earn more elsewhere if you bill the same amount

Advice to Management

Move to a clearer commission scheme, hire more experienced recruiters, give people more ownership rather than blanket KPI’s and incentives that work for very new recruiters but bore more experienced individuals

10 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your balanced feedback and I’m sorry that you haven’t continued your career with PageGroup.

Our hiring strategy is broad and we have more people working dynamically and flexibly... More

7. "Great company To Work For"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support and training for new staff.
    Made to feel welcome from first day in the office.
    International opportunities.
    Clear path for progression laid out in front of you right from the start.
    Great brand to put against your name especially for a first job.
    The work you put in is rewarded and clearly represents your results within the company.

Cons

It is a target driven business which doesn't suit every individual.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, support and training for starters is fantastic

2 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m pleased you were made to feel so welcome when you joined and that you are benefiting from the structured training we provide to support and develop you.

I think... More

8. "Great place to start in recruitment"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent training on offer, you can learn a lot from PageGroup
    - Great name to have on CV

Cons

- Heavy KPI culture
    - Sheer size of company makes BD difficult (clients often get repeated calls)
    - Some PSL clients but a bulk of clients have negative views of company - seen to be huge corporate monster
    - Size of company worsens KPI culture - keeping track on everyone's activity more difficult - all about the numbers rather than individuals
    - Poor basic salaries in comparison with other recruitment agencies
    - Long hours
    - High turnover of staff even for recruitment

10 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and you make reference to some of the key challenges experienced by a larger recruitment company.

As a business we continue to evolve and respond to the needs of our... More

9. "good but very 'corporate'"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup (Less than a year)

Pros

good training, structured development programme, good employee benefits

Cons

very 'corporate', long hours, everything is already 'set' so difficult to put your own stamp on things

10 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and feedback and I’m glad you benefited from our structured training programme which is designed to give everyone the skills and knowledge they need to be successful... More

10. "Excellent place to learn recruitment, but too stuck in their ways"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Huge database of candidates and established clients
    - Well known name
    - Good working environment for those in their 20's.
    - Some excellent training
    - Very competitive

Cons

- Different teams and offices don't work together
    - Heavily KPI driven, often to the detriment of the end goal (to fill jobs and provide a service so the client and candidate comes back again)
    - Don't appreciate those who are great at management and training...its all about billing.
    - A "cloudy" bonus system that doesn't pay very well

Advice to Management

- Be 100% open about bonus's and the reasons why
    - Promote people managers to management roles, not billers
    - incentivise consultants properly to work with other teams and offices.
    - Stop obsessing about KPIs

2 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and your balanced feedback.

All of our managers are expected to remain customer-facing and to recruit roles in their specialist market. This ensures that our customers... More

11. "Declining culture"

Former Employee - Manager in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good name in the market to external clients

Cons

Bad reflection of CEO's ideas through management to lower level staff, people are numbers not indivisuals

2 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review. Our latest engagement survey results indicate that our people are positive about our inclusive culture and value all the elements that enable them to achieve what they want... More