PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance" (in 88 reviews)

• "Can be long-hours and high-intensity" (in 178 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work.

Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business.

Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc.

Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers.

They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas.

The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business.

Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients.

If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company.

- Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly.

- You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering.

- bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Advice to Management

I’ve seen some good people leave because they weren’t allowed to transfer departments (because they were billing well), and I’ve seen others offered promotions to buy them back after leaving. If they are worth those promotions, and if the company doesn’t want to lose them, give them opportunities and reward their work before they get to the point of quitting.

Otherwise, keep doing what you’re doing - love the business.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and... More

2. "The best in my career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn something everyday, and if you deserve you will grow

Cons

Nothing that would make me leave the company

3. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Training, Great money potential and a fun working environment

Cons

Long hours, massively kpi focused, lack of loyalty towards the consultants

Advice to Management

Focus on the training, don't stress the kpi's so much in the beginning and be more transparent about what you are doing

4. "Anonymus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay every week and super friendly and helpful when you ask them for help.

Cons

The rates of pay keep changing depending on the amount of days worked. Not fixed.

5. "Good to learn your trade but can get very political"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup (More than 8 years)

Pros

Energetic and fun working environment and good social side
    Excellent L&D function and regular at desk training
    Ability to move teams across divisions & locations (Including International)

Cons

Hours are rigidly enforced and a culture of presenteeism
    Can be quite immature at times due to a high level of Graduate hiring annually
    Advancement is often down to who you know and perception and if you are not the right "fit" in the eyes of management you can be held back

Advice to Management

Seek to hire more experienced consultants from competitors to avoid Group Think

6. "Good progression, proud to work for Page"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Good progression, clear career path.
    2) Buzzy culture, good team morale.
    3) Listen to staff, what's working, what's not working, then implement changes based on this.
    4) Mostly inspiring leadership.
    5) Values employees - good bonuses, incentive schemes.
    6) Ability to progress as far as you push yourself - you get out what you put in.

Cons

1) Slightly bureaucratic.
    2) Some directors have old school attitudes, it very much depends where you are based on what the local culture is like.
    3) Change takes a long time to happen, synonymous with a large company.

Advice to Management

Need more clarity around bonuses, when you get to Manager the career path becomes slightly more hazy.

24 Aug 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your balanced comments and I’m glad to hear you enjoy working here and you see the opportunity to progress your career and achieve your ambitions - that’s important to us.

There... More

7. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice people/culture
    - flexible working
    - well-known brand

Cons

- awful bonus structure
    - have to play the corporate game
    - too many directors who don’t bill

Advice to Management

Pay your senior consultants and managing consultants better bonuses in order to retain talent - they’re the backbone of the business and the recent turnover suggests you don’t care

24 Aug 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. Our uncapped performance-related bonus structure reflects the importance of our team-based culture and providing our customers with objective and consultative... More

8. "Page Group - London"

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support
    Great opportunities
    Great potential to succeed

Cons

Big corporate
    Hard to be an individual

Advice to Management

Allow people to break the standard mould more, recruitment is changing.

30 Aug 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and it’s good to hear you feel we have the right environment to enable you to achieve success. Whilst we are a large business we also know that it’s the people that work... More

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Fun, enjoyable, you are in control
    - Career Progression
    - Remuneration
    - People you work with
    - Genuinely feel you work for the best in the market

Cons

- Systems aren't great
    - Hours can be long

24 Aug 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and it’s good to hear from someone who has been with the business for over 8 years. I’m glad you still enjoy working here and, I definitely agree, the people here make it a... More

10. "Very accommodating business!"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating management team if you need better work life balance!

They are very good at retaining their best talent.

Cons

Have a very selective recruitment process which can result in their teams being less diverse.
    Some teams have a negative culture.

Advice to Management

-Allow Consultants to have more freedom and authority over managing their portfolios without weekly reports and daily check ins with their managers.
    -If consultants have built relationships with clients then allow them to account manage them. In an industry with high turnover, it does not make sense to change a client's allocated consultant just because of postcode and address changes when the consultant still works for you.

24 Aug 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and your feedback. I know our recruitment process is thorough, as it’s an important decision for both parties, but I’m disappointed to hear that you think that results in a... More

Showing 774 of 1,210 reviews