PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Can be long-hours and high-intensity" (in 173 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work.

Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business.

Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc.

Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers.

They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas.

The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business.

Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients.

If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company.

- Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly.

- You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering.

- bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Advice to Management

I’ve seen some good people leave because they weren’t allowed to transfer departments (because they were billing well), and I’ve seen others offered promotions to buy them back after leaving. If they are worth those promotions, and if the company doesn’t want to lose them, give them opportunities and reward their work before they get to the point of quitting.

Otherwise, keep doing what you’re doing - love the business.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and... More

2. "Good progression, proud to work for Page"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Good progression, clear career path.
    2) Buzzy culture, good team morale.
    3) Listen to staff, what's working, what's not working, then implement changes based on this.
    4) Mostly inspiring leadership.
    5) Values employees - good bonuses, incentive schemes.
    6) Ability to progress as far as you push yourself - you get out what you put in.

Cons

1) Slightly bureaucratic.
    2) Some directors have old school attitudes, it very much depends where you are based on what the local culture is like.
    3) Change takes a long time to happen, synonymous with a large company.

Advice to Management

Need more clarity around bonuses, when you get to Manager the career path becomes slightly more hazy.

3. "Page Group - London"

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support
    Great opportunities
    Great potential to succeed

Cons

Big corporate
    Hard to be an individual

Advice to Management

Allow people to break the standard mould more, recruitment is changing.

4. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Fun, enjoyable, you are in control
    - Career Progression
    - Remuneration
    - People you work with
    - Genuinely feel you work for the best in the market

Cons

- Systems aren't great
    - Hours can be long

5. "Very accommodating business!"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating management team if you need better work life balance!

They are very good at retaining their best talent.

Cons

Have a very selective recruitment process which can result in their teams being less diverse.
    Some teams have a negative culture.

Advice to Management

-Allow Consultants to have more freedom and authority over managing their portfolios without weekly reports and daily check ins with their managers.
    -If consultants have built relationships with clients then allow them to account manage them. In an industry with high turnover, it does not make sense to change a client's allocated consultant just because of postcode and address changes when the consultant still works for you.

6. "Very strange culture"

Former Employee - Recrutiment consultant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Recrutiment consultant in Leeds, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base salary will always beat any other recruiter

Cons

It's almost like a party culture. you needto really be an ego maniac to work there. Many lies at interview stage were told, saying the flexible time they adopted means if you have done all of your work you can go home - this is not true and yiu will be punished for leaving before 6pm.

Advice to Management

Employ people based on tougher interview process, don't sell people a dream that is impossible.

9 Jul 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m disappointed to read of your experience at PageGroup. Our culture is built on our five key values and one of those is “we work as a team” rather than encourage... More

"Challenging but steep learning curve, great experience of business culture"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a well established business that has a structure for career progression and bonus that it will stick to and genuinely want you to reach asap

Cons

At time of employment not very flexible. Also had over heavy representation of one demographic across employee base.

18 Jun 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad the career progression and earning potential were made clear to you during your time here. We have made some good progress in offering the flexibility and... More

8. "Progressive, good training and a strategy."

Current Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of investment in training and innovating ways in which we generate people and leads.

A clear strategy in a challenging market which isn't often followed through in other recruitment agencies.

Prescriptive progression through to Directorship.

A much more defined bonus structure in comparison to when I joined five years ago.

Cons

Demanding working hours.

Not consistent with messaging around KPIs

11 Jun 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. Providing people with the skills and tools they need to be successful at PageGroup is critical and I’m glad you have seen the benefits. We continue to focus... More

9. "On reflection, Page Group was the perfect first recruitment job."

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Page for 2 years and really bought into the culture. I never thought I would leave Page, I really loved the business, people, training and challenges. Only now being in my 3rd recruitment business do I realise just how good the training was. I am excelling compared to other recruiters who didn't have the same grounding and training I had at Page Group.

So.. pros -

Excellent training
    High performance culture
    The KPI culture really helps you to be hard on yourself later in your career when you are left to use your own initiative
    Surrounded by talented young driven people
    Great team building incentives for high performers
    Very transparent promotion structure, based on Billings so no confusion
    Top of the market CRM system (Profile), other firms really have bad CRM's
    Great managers who have been there and done it and on the whole still bill
    Strong benefits package

Cons

Can be a little political
    Quite cut-throat if you're not performing
    Lack of flexibility (although this has helped me become much stronger at managing myself)
    Low commission compared to other firms (I have earned double - triple the commission since)

Advice to Management

As consultants reach that 2 year mark, give them much more freedom
    Pay experienced consultants who are trained up after a couple of years much higher bonuses
    Recognise that different markets require different KPI's

11 Jun 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review. We continue to invest in both training and technology so that people have the greatest chance of success here and get support from experienced people who are able to share... More

10. "Recruitment Consultant - Michael Page Finance"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great focus on development and progression - career not a job

Cons

High pressure sales environment. Micromanagement and laddish culture at times. Hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be more practical. More needs to be done to retain talent.

8 May 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you valued the development and progression we offer at PageGroup.

We regularly review and evolve our training to ensure we employ a broad range of... More

Showing 756 of 1,176 reviews