PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Long hours compared to other industries and not too much intellectually stimulating work" (in 171 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work.

Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business.

Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc.

Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers.

They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas.

The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business.

Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients.

If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company.

- Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly.

- You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering.

- bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Advice to Management

I’ve seen some good people leave because they weren’t allowed to transfer departments (because they were billing well), and I’ve seen others offered promotions to buy them back after leaving. If they are worth those promotions, and if the company doesn’t want to lose them, give them opportunities and reward their work before they get to the point of quitting.

Otherwise, keep doing what you’re doing - love the business.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and... More

2. "Progressive, good training and a strategy."

Current Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of investment in training and innovating ways in which we generate people and leads.

A clear strategy in a challenging market which isn't often followed through in other recruitment agencies.

Prescriptive progression through to Directorship.

A much more defined bonus structure in comparison to when I joined five years ago.

Cons

Demanding working hours.

Not consistent with messaging around KPIs

11 Jun 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. Providing people with the skills and tools they need to be successful at PageGroup is critical and I’m glad you have seen the benefits. We continue to focus... More

3. "Challenging but steep learning curve, great experience of business culture"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a well established business that has a structure for career progression and bonus that it will stick to and genuinely want you to reach asap

Cons

At time of employment not very flexible. Also had over heavy representation of one demographic across employee base.

18 Jun 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad the career progression and earning potential were made clear to you during your time here. We have made some good progress in offering the flexibility and... More

4. "On reflection, Page Group was the perfect first recruitment job."

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Page for 2 years and really bought into the culture. I never thought I would leave Page, I really loved the business, people, training and challenges. Only now being in my 3rd recruitment business do I realise just how good the training was. I am excelling compared to other recruiters who didn't have the same grounding and training I had at Page Group.

So.. pros -

Excellent training
    High performance culture
    The KPI culture really helps you to be hard on yourself later in your career when you are left to use your own initiative
    Surrounded by talented young driven people
    Great team building incentives for high performers
    Very transparent promotion structure, based on Billings so no confusion
    Top of the market CRM system (Profile), other firms really have bad CRM's
    Great managers who have been there and done it and on the whole still bill
    Strong benefits package

Cons

Can be a little political
    Quite cut-throat if you're not performing
    Lack of flexibility (although this has helped me become much stronger at managing myself)
    Low commission compared to other firms (I have earned double - triple the commission since)

Advice to Management

As consultants reach that 2 year mark, give them much more freedom
    Pay experienced consultants who are trained up after a couple of years much higher bonuses
    Recognise that different markets require different KPI's

11 Jun 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review. We continue to invest in both training and technology so that people have the greatest chance of success here and get support from experienced people who are able to share... More

5. "Recruitment Consultant - Michael Page Finance"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great focus on development and progression - career not a job

Cons

High pressure sales environment. Micromanagement and laddish culture at times. Hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be more practical. More needs to be done to retain talent.

8 May 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you valued the development and progression we offer at PageGroup.

We regularly review and evolve our training to ensure we employ a broad range of... More

6. "Great learning ground for recruiters new to the industry"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Leicester, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training for new starters - sets them well for a career in rect in a 360 recruitment role. Training team are great

Cons

Quite prescriptive - typical corporate environment with very heavy KPI management style in areas which lets them down and loses talent to competitors

8 May 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I’m glad you had a positive experience during your time with PageGroup.

It’s important to me that the business continues to evolve and responds... More

7. "20+ years at PageGroup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The business is constantly changing and yet the people we have here are always brilliant to work alongside.

Cons

The Victoria House office needs a refurb.

8 May 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and it’s really good to hear from someone who has been with PageGroup for as long as me!

I couldn’t agree with you more; the people we work with, both internally and... More

"Recruitment can be a tough job, so make sure you choose a supportive employer to work for"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The most supportive, inclusive and diverse employer that I've found within the recruitment sector - Having worked for an SME and another plc previously I've had very "mixed" experiences of being valued as a high performing employee. Page offer a much more supportive working environment where the gender balance is the best I've seen in the industry, it really doesn't matter about things like sexuality or race and from a personal perspective they have seen me through challenging times within my personal life with support and empathy. We have a mental health champion programme which is great to create a culture where it's ok to tell people if you are struggling rather than slowly implode under the strains of a sales job.
    Recruitment as a career is a roller coaster and so to be happy in work it's vital to find a supportive employer and colleagues who can lift you when you hit the inevitable lows - Page does this far better than anywhere else that I've worked previously.
    The overall benefits package is much better than the market average with private health, buying and selling holiday, discounts on gym memberships and other products.
    Plenty of incentives above and beyond salary and bonus/commission - if you are competitive and willing to put in the effort you can take home a great amount of cash.
    The training team are great - the vast majority have operational experience and deliver interesting courses and the new online training is great for new starters. I wish in many ways I had joined Page as a graduate as the training here is the best I've seen.
    There are great opportunities for good performers to relocate nationally and internationally and build a career beyond the UK.
    There is a great mentoring programme throughout the business.
    Our commitment to charity and CSR is also great - I love the annual Yorkshire 3 peaks event - fun, challenging and importantly raises lots of cash for charity!
    It's a much more meritocratic and fair culture than anywhere I've worked. We promoted managers and directors from within. Other recruiters have in the past have had a culture of handing in your notice to facilitate a payrise - not the case at Page.
    The leadership team are accessible and on hand to help you with problems and so are aware of your day to day challenges and wins.
    There is more of an opportunity to shape your career down a people management or business development route, you can flex your progression as to what suits your lifestyle and ambition. Career plans are clearly mapped and competency based appraisals take place on a 6 monthly basis to ensure you are working towards and achieving your goals. The new regional structure means that future progression at director level won't see a life spread across the country and time can be spent doing what you are good at within the region you operate in.

Cons

Nothing in particular specific to Page, but recruitment is competitive and to perform well you may find you need to put in some longer hours in. We have recently embraced dynamic working so there is no longer an "8 - 8" culture and we have plenty of exceptional performers who work 4 day weeks or indeed not past 6pm.

Advice to Management

Competitors will always point to the fact that the Michael Page brand offers bonus rather than commission, but the reality is that if you are a high performer you will get remunerated well at bonus time and the business is run with strong financial sustainability plans. The only downside is that annual payrises when you hit a certain level aren't always automatically offered within that level so you might need to be prepared to negotiate for yourself or push hard for that next promotion. Naturally this is to encourage growth, but retaining long serving high billers is important to all aspects of our business so strategies around this are worth considering for future staff retention for this population within the business.

29 Mar 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to highlight the things that you value most at PageGroup. To hear that our culture is as fair, supportive, inclusive and rewarding as we want it to... More

9. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission and Salary

Cons

nothing bad about working there

27 Apr 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m sorry to hear that you have left PageGroup now but I wish you all the best in the future. If you would consider working at PageGroup again in the future then... More

10. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Leeds, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and training
    New regional structure allows for career progression across multiple disciplines rather than having to travel great distances.

Cons

Nothing major, but maybe a commission scheme would be more transparent, although earnings are generally competitive.

Advice to Management

The group needs to keep driving diversity at Board level so there are more balanced role models

29 Mar 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and comments. We are committed to having a diverse workforce at all levels. We have made some good progress on gender diversity and, since the launch of Women@Page in... More

Showing 718 of 1,113 reviews