PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 November 2017

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture promotes a work hard/play hard mentality and those who exceed their goals & targets are rewarded (in 45 reviews)

• Michael Page is one of the best learning environments that I have worked in (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • not ideal for work-life balance (in 80 reviews)

• No one is making you work long hours except yourself (in 155 reviews)

1. "Great people and supportive culture"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working along side a great team of people. Page encourages continuous development and contribution from all employees and tries to make it fun. In my experience the senior leaders support their people where and when they need it, and it works.

Cons

As with most organisations there is a pressure to deliver, but its no more than you would expect - you need to earn your desk!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people to retain the best

5 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

I appreciate your feedback on the business and it’s great to hear from someone who has been with us for so many years.

You will have seen a number of positive changes during your career so far... More

2. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The true strength of Michael Page is the people. No matter how stressful your day can be you will always be surrounded by positive attitudes.

From a career perspective the clear goal setting and meritocratic approach allows for a clear path for career progression.

Cons

Although there are many highs there are also a number of lows. Recruitment can be a stressful job so requires you to be a resilient character.

3. "Brilliant work culture..."

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Variation in background; not everyone has come from other agencies
    - Very supportive; if things aren't going right, there is always a solution
    - Real reward for revenue generated
    - Great worklife balance
    -Very sociable
    - PageGroup has a great brand and name in the market

Cons

- Poor basic salaries in comparison to other agencies
    - Bonuses are discretionary which can be great but doesn't give a clear vision of what you might receive as it's so contingent on various factors
    - There is the potential to earn a lot of money but the basic salary increases with each promotion are minimal and not so encouraging for promotion

Advice to Management

I would really advise maintaining the worklife balance in the office as this has been crucial to retention I think. Sometimes I think management can be susceptible to favouritism which is understandable in any business with obvious high billers but some times it can create a divide between those who bill a lot and those who are getting up and running and not incentivise them.

21 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m pleased to hear that you are receiving the support that you need to be successful at PageGroup; teamwork and fun are two of our core values and it’s good to hear you... More

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

training the best in the market.

Cons

Bonus about average if not below.

Advice to Management

promote people leaders, not the best billers

5 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review.

I’m glad to hear that you rated the training we provide and we continue to invest in finding the best ways to develop people at PageGroup. This approach extends to... More

6. "Great progression opportunities and culture/flexibility has improved a lot"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent career progression opportunities
    Opportunities for graduates etc to be earning good money at relatively early age
    Fun culture to work in
    Ongoing training and development - even once you get to Manager level
    Very well placed in the market so consultants have all of the tools they need to succeed
    Adopting mature approach to working hours and a more flexible attitude to work

Cons

Internal recruitment process needs to be quicker/better
    Discretionary bonus can create uncertainty

Advice to Management

Make sure that all teams embrace the firm wide policies such as Dynamic Working across the board - needs to be a universal approach and consultants in all teams should feel comfortable that they are allowed this flexibility where appropriate.

5 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and feedback and it’s good to hear that some of the positive changes we have made in the business are valued.

Dynamic working is available for everyone at all levels... More

7. "Great brand, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Drecor in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Business Drecor in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand, career progression opportunities, high octane environment, earning potential, job variety

Cons

Numbers driven business so with that brings the constant pressure to perform.

Advice to Management

Perhaps more open flow of communication when it comes to moves, starters and departures.

5 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review; your comments about our environment and culture are particularly important to me.

Maintaining a consistently high performance is central to us being able to grow and... More

8. "Contract Credit Controller using Page Group as resourcing agent"

Former Employee - Creidt Consultanct in London, England
    Former Employee - Creidt Consultanct in London, England

I worked at PageGroup (Less than a year)

Pros

1.Company with a good name in the finance and general accountancy sector
    2. Good tax operations and usually get taxation right first payroll
    3. Large number of offices in the UK and specialist sister company for Credit Control.
    4. Financially secure PLC with no concerns about insolvency and therefore good to broker contracts through when wishing to work for high risk clients when freelancing, but cannot afford to take risk of the client company becoming insolvent and leaving you as a Creditor. If Page will not touch the company that I was going to take the company I was dealing with, then it is not safe to deal with that firm at all.

Cons

1. Many of the staff have an elevated sense of their on importance and rely on the name "Michael Page" (Page Personnel and Accountancy Additions), can be quite high handed in the way they deal with those seeking work.
    2. Don't always match the skills that you have with the work that you are looking for and tend to "pigeon hole" you. If you haven't worked in a certain sector they are not interested.
    3. They will not assist people who want to diversify out of their current role; and for those who have been out of work for a while, for whichever reason, are not interested in- you are deemed a write off.
    4. Do not return phone calls.
    5. Expect applicant to match their post advertised exactly, will not try to promote your transferrable skills.

Advice to Management

Accept that people need to be flexible and that you are there to assist the applicant as much as you are your client/employer

You may be an international firm and have a global presence but that does not mean that you feel that people have to hold you in awe; and what you say is absolute; i.e. will not hold a rationalised discussion, particularly diversification scenarios, and accepting that you are there to give advice and assist applicants not just be a filter.

"Some good but some bad"

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture- work hard play hard
    You can make money if you're prepared to work hard
    Promotion - I got from consultant to manager in 3 years.
    Great charity initiatives

Cons

Flexible working initiatives - seems to just be for those at a senior level- should also include managers
    Poor internal training- the internal training team used to be excellent with sales and training experts delivering courses. There have been no new courses for my team or managers and the trainers are just ex-recruiters.
    Retention- we are losing consultants to other agencies where I feel more needs to be done to keep them

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers. Roll out flexible working to managers. Look at external courses for sales teams and managers or keep the training fresh. Look at the retention issues- why are consultants leaving at 6 months.

5 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your feedback and it’s good to hear that you have progressed in the business and enjoy the culture and the rewards.

Flexible working here is definitely not just for those at a... More

10. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning ground for recruiters

Supportive management

Cons

The bonus structure is too discretionary for a sales driven environment

Advice to Management

Improve the bonuses and comp structures

5 Nov 2017 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your feedback and it’s good to hear you are getting the training and support you need at PageGroup.

Our uncapped, performance-related bonuses reflect the importance of our team-based... More

11. "A fantastic career opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Managers and Directors are so supportive on an operational and personal level, training is second to none, lots of opportunities to progress as company grows organically, huge earning potential, great team and atmosphere, dynamic working and good benefits.

Cons

- I would like more annual leave! It used to go up for every year you had been here- that would be ideal.
    - You have to give a lot of notice to be granted access to work from home, it would be great if that was a more straight forward process.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to have more administrative staff to help with things that take up a lot of time for consultants - e.g. payroll queries.