Pinterest Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.2
Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann
Ben Silbermann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is truly a thing here in a way I haven't seen before" (in 27 reviews)

• "Facility is very nice, clean, with lots of stuff stocked for snacks, free food, etc" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing now and isn't as small as it was during my internship" (in 12 reviews)

• "Like any startup, there are growing pains, which is to be expected" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Couldn't Be Happier"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest and kindest people I've ever worked with; Best leadership I've ever worked with; a mission that you can truly feel good about; a brand and product that is loved; a flexible work environment, but one where everyone is engaged and committed to doing a great job, an exciting future; a place that truly cares about inclusion

Cons

Frequent changes to our strategy and organization... which is normal for a company at our stage and can present good opportunities, but does require a mindset that is accepting and able to adapt/change

Advice to Management

Continue your amazing transparency and keep doing the right thing even when its hard. I respect our leadership because I truly believe they are great people; don't ever let that change

17 Mar 2019 – People Team

I’m thrilled that your experience at Pinterest has been so positive. I’ve not been here long, but I agree with you that our leaders and employee community is second to none. And as it is you, our... More

2. "Exciting, Engaging Workplace"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pinterest hires really smart, talented people who have wide experience but are also humble and like to celebrate wins.

Pinners really love the product which actually does motivate you to work hard, it's nice to work on a product that is so well liked by users.

Great benefits, especially for parents/people looking to start a family. Food is fantastic and you'll get 2-3 meals/day if you don't cook much at home, the office environment is really open and collaborative.

Cons

There's a lot of growth and much going on so you can have a lot of impact but you have to be able to adapt quickly to change.

3. "Incredible mission, a team that cares and an opportunity to make a real difference."

Pros

Lots of opportunity to make a positive difference.
    The people are incredibly talented.
    The chance to grow is limitless.

Cons

There’s a lot to do, time flies... but you can make an impact if you focus on the right things!

Advice to Management

Be really clear about our priorities.
    Focus on cross team collaboration.

4. "Great place to rest & vest"

I worked at Pinterest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, great location, free food.

Cons

Very political place with a lot of churn and no respect for high performers. Top management is trying to be very nice and it leads to no accountability and many broken promises. Don't believe anything your recruiters will tell you.

"Not a great place to work at"

Former Employee - Chef in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Chef in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers will probably be great

Cons

Pinterest does not have a great management team. They are not nice.

Advice to Management

Get new chefs, have an HR department that really looks after employees

22 Mar 2019 – People Team

I agree that the people at Pinterest are an undeniable reason why our culture is so special. We absolutely want our team members to feel looked after and treated respectfully. I note that you may... More

"Institutionalized Workplace Bullying & Gender Inequality"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Met some of the nicest, most intelligent people outside my team
    - knit con!

Cons

For a company that champions it’s efforts to make the workplace a fair and pleasant environment for everyone, it couldn’t be farther from the truth. Workplace bullying is essentially institutionalized here, where senior leaders continue to turn a blind eye at mid-level managers, who are some of the most inexperienced, abusive managers I’ve ever come across in my career. Fear of retaliation is a genuine concern here as well, so going to HR is basically not an option unless you’re at your breaking point where you’re okay quitting if things go more south.

Advice to Management

Despite the patterns of abuse, the massive turnover within the same teams (with those exiting complaining about the same leaders)... PLEASE stop turning a blind eye and break the cycles of abuse. PLEASE also recognize when workplace bullying is institutionalized - often times, there’s a boys club at the top and they continue to protect each other.

17 Mar 2019 – People Team

I've only been here for a few weeks and I agree some of the nicest, most intelligent people work at Pinterest. However, I am very concerned to hear about your experience, your fear of retaliation... More

7. "Great learning environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top-line engineers among the industry behind the creative product.
    Truly a place to learn lots of things if you'd like to grow.
    Have been here for more than three years and it is still an inspiring place to work for.

Cons

the new buildings are not decorated as well as the old one. would be great if the Pinterest style can keep up.
    No office in the south bay.

Advice to Management

Being more transparent with decision making.
    Keep the hiring bar as how it used to be.

17 Mar 2019 – People Team

It’s great to hear that you continue to find Pinterest inspiring after more than four years working here, and see the many growth opportunities. I agree, keeping the hiring bar high and retaining... More

"Scrambling to ipo"

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location, delicious food and average medical benefits on par with most tech companies
    Most colleagues are very nice people and genuinely interested in doing good for our users
    Generally good work life balance for most teams

Cons

The company is scrambling to ipo likely this year but moving really slowly towards this goal and not being transparent at all about what’s happening.

To make their multiplier look good they have also been doing a bunch of restructuring and significant pay cuts on various teams. They really screwed some teams over by justifying these pay cuts as industry benchmarking. Very short sighted in my opinion because they are punishing employees for being loyal and doing well and the people affected are really disappointed in the company.

Pretty sure a lot of people are going to quit once they ipo. Everyone is just hanging around to see how much their options are worth. Most people think their options will be worth less than what they were promised at the point of joining the company yet the recruiters still use this as a perk to attract new hires.

Advice to Management

Please don’t screw over your loyal employees for short term financial gains. This is the Bay Area and word spreads. Practice what you preach in the company values else they are meaningless.

20 Mar 2019 – People Team

Hi there,
    Thanks for your feedback. I agree that we work with some of the nicest people around and that our dedication to pinners is a cornerstone of our employee community.
    We build our rewards... More

9. "Incredible place to be both challenged and happy"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Pinterest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people are second to none - some of the best talent and kindest colleagues I've had in my career
    - Truly puts the users first in every way - ahead of the curve on just about every major issue (diversity in workforce and in product, encouraging engaged but not addicted users, etc). It's a company I feel proud of.
    - Work-life balance is truly a thing here in a way I haven't seen before
    - Benefits are really great - some of the best insurance I've ever had
    - The company is doing really well, and still incredibly humble and cautious

Cons

- It's grown quickly in the past few years, and growing pains are inevitable. A lot of processes changing and being put in place, a lot more "regulation", but I honestly appreciate a more cautious approach.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the team early and often, be as transparent as possible.

10. "Best place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pinterest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- engineers are intelligent, helpful, collaborative and friendly
    - tons of interesting problems to work on
    - strong social culture at work
    - clearly defined product, vision, and plan of execution
    - C-Suite is approachable
    - Knit Con is amazing!!

Cons

- team personalities wildly vary, so YMMV