Secret Escapes Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Alex Saint

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome place to work as a Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Secret Escapes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Dedicated time to work on your own personal development through hack days and personal objectives

* Everyone is super friendly and always willing to help out

* Recognition for when you do something good!

* Constant strive to improve processes and code base

* Good software development practices (code reviews, TDD, retrospectives etc.)

* Team rotation ensures things never get too stale

Cons

* Application is becoming a bit too large of a Monolith.

Advice to Management

Try and grow tech team significantly larger so time can be dedicated to restructuring and splitting up the app into separate services using better languages/frameworks

16 Nov 2017 – Talent Administrator

Thank you for your post and for taking the time to write a glassdoor review about your time at Secret Escapes - we really value your comments and feedback.

Great to hear you enjoyed your time... More

2. "Great work experience and smart people"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and very data driven company. It's a place where you can get involved in various projects and grow them as big as you can - as long as you show initiative and communicate, there are a lot of possibilities. The staff perks improved massively last year: staff training and coaching available, discounted health and dental insurance, and enhanced maternity package after you've worked there for 1 year. Quite flexible with working times too, you can leave at 5:30 if you take a shorter (30 min) lunch break. Office looks great, people are friendly. Would recommend anyone to work here - great place to work yourself up (especially at entry and mid-level) and get involved with a fun, respectable brand.

Cons

Some projects move along quite slow but this seems to be mostly due to lack of tech resource or not being prioritised by senior management (for reasons which may be fair enough but don't always have visibility on that). At times the company changes direction quite sudden - but you could also argue that is a good thing.

Advice to Management

Get the different departments to interact more with each other.

13 Oct 2017

Hey, thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review on Glassdoor.
    We appreciate it.

It’s fantastic to hear that you feel there are plenty of opportunities to take projects as far as... More

3. "ok company to work"

Pros

Nice environment to work in

Cons

no real opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

listen more to staff

13 Oct 2017

Thank you for your post. We really appreciate your feedback and we take all views on board.

We have put a lot of effort into creating a great work environment at Secret Escapes so it is really... More

5. "Poor processes, terrible data management, cliquey"

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Great offices
    Staff discount
    Friendly welcome

Cons

Very cliquey management
    Rigid, inflexible procedures
    Dreadful data management - giant excel sheets for everything, systems don't talk to each other.
    Silo mentality
    Seems as a company to have lost its way - is it a luxury travel company or is it travelzoo?

Advice to Management

Decide what you want to be and invest in data and systems.

8 Sep 2017

Thank you for your post. We really appreciate your feedback.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed a warm welcome to the business and that some of our perks such as extra discounts, food and a... More

6. "Big brand that retains it's start-up ethos"

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time

Pros

Great time to be working for a company establishing itself as a powerful brand in the marketplace, delivering consistent year-on-year growth but holding on to the concepts that got it there.
    Strong open door management policy.
    New verticals and processes appearing on a monthly basis that need feedback, shaping, improving - lots of opportunity to have strategic involvement.
    Encourages entrepreneurial traits, remains nimble and innovative despite growing headcount.
    Staff well looked after. High spec offices, food, drinks, events etc.

Cons

Must be resilient to change/adaptable. Not for everyone if can only work in a very structured and constantly unchanging role.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. "Unfortunatly little development"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong brand, free food, flexible working hours, nice people

Cons

Little development, little training, poor processes, poor senior management decisions

Advice to Management

Bring in outsourced help consultancy not just to improve personal development of staff, but failing processes

12 Jul 2017

Hi - Thanks for your feedback.

We always take employee's views on board so we appreciate you taking the time to share.

It is a shame that you are feeling left out in terms of development as the... More

8. "Good Start, Then Downhill From There"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Secret Escapes full-time

Pros

Good staff mix.
    Nice offices.
    Everyone is on the ball.
    Wear whatever you want to work.
    Breakfast and snacks are provided.

Cons

Very clicky - if the senior management like you, you'll do well.
    Enjoy making your life as difficult as possible if they want you out the door.
    If you don't live & breathe Secret Escapes 24/7, you are very much frowned upon.
    No career progression, get stuck in a rut.

Advice to Management

People have a work/life balance so some find it difficult to be on call 24/7. Hard working staff are that ones that leave, people who suck up to the management get away with murder. One day they will realise this, hopefully not before it's too late and more good people go.

31 May 2017

Hi - Thanks for your feedback.

We care about how our employees feel at work and hence we will take your views on board and add this to data that we collect in our employee surveys which help us... More

9. "Brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely people, great management who really care, relaxed environment, opportunity to have a lot of ownership and input

Cons

Communication can be poor sometimes in terms of non-management knowing what's going on and from team to team.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the regular communication - staff really appreciate feeling informed and they love to hear from you

3 Apr 2017

Hi there - thanks for your feedback! We really appreciate all your comments and we're always working to improve communication throughout the business. If you ever have any further feedback please let... More

10. "A vision to believe in!"

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The vision, 'Inspiring the World to Escape' is something everyone works towards and gets behind. Its great to have everyone working towards the same goal. The business is really open to new ideas on how to get this done so you can have a real input!

The staff discount (on the already discounted holidays) is also a big plus!

Cons

The staff benefits have developed loads this year and I can't wait to see what will be on offer next year.

3 Apr 2017

Hey, thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review on Glassdoor. We appreciate it. We love that you're inspired by the Secret Escapes vision and that you're behind our overall goal. It’s... More

11. "Awesome place to work!!"

Current Employee - Team UK in London, England
    Current Employee - Team UK in London, England

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well what can I say about Secret Escapes and my action packed year so far?

Busy
    Exciting
    Inspiring

This business is like no other I have ever worked for - the vision and the people make it what it is! There are so many driven individuals here at Secret Escapes it makes even the challenges times when you think you might not make it exciting. The end goal is always in sight!

All the work I do here stretches me and I thoroughly enjoy every minute.

Cons

Too much food flying around - Cake Mondays, Breakfast breads and cereals on tap. it's a real waist killer.

Advice to Management

Keep being so driven and inspiring!!