TNTP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 25 Oct 2019

3.8
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg
Pros
  • "The flexibility to work from home is a perk(in 11 reviews)

• "Working with uniformly great, hard-working and supportive people is motivating and makes the challenging work feel worth it(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be tough at times(in 25 reviews)

• "They tell you in the interview that the average week is at least 50 hours(in 6 reviews)

"Overall great experience"

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with incredibly competent and passionate coworkers, very flexible workplace in lots of ways - work from home, follow interests and shift internally to work on different types of work, expectation of supportive managers, there's a lot of pros.

Cons

Sometimes out of touch leadership, often heavy workload, sometimes patronizing approach to consulting, sometimes inconsistent management

Advice to Management

Trust your people more. Don't release info to staff the same way you would release to funders.

TNTP2019-10-25
  2. "good company"

Current Employee - QA Engineer

I have been working at TNTP full-time for less than a year

Pros

good communication, good work environment

Cons

none none nonenone none nonenone none nonenone none none

TNTP2019-10-07

"Partner, Client Team (Regional)"

Current Employee - Client Partner in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home and setting own schedule is a definite plus for those of us with young children. Autonomy is helpful.

Cons

This executive leadership group is the pits. Incestuous, plays favorites, makes unrealistic demands of teams, hypocritical, not transparent. In some organizations, there are people at the top of the food chain who truly do not know how to “lead”. This is that organization. Any flowery 5 star reviews to the contrary have likely been posted by HR.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your teams and what they tell you they truly need. Get off the diverse culture high horse and face the reality that we don’t have one. You hire smart people, don’t give them room to grow, and then wonder why they leave. People who are the best and brightest are often afraid to speak out for fear of retaliation, which happens frequently in this organization.

TNTP2019-10-19
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility and autonomy to independently lead projects and drive your own work

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times

TNTP2019-09-13

"Fine if you want flexibility but don’t care about advancement"

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy the content of my work. I get to work with passionate, intelligent, skilled colleagues. I have met many people at TNTP who are extremely committed to their work and bring a wide variety of experiences and talents. My current manager is extremely supportive. Working from home is of course a luxury as well.

Cons

Insulting salaries, especially given the expectation that staff work 50 hours a week (come on - this isn’t just exploitative, it’s also at odds with management best practices). Nonexistent career growth unless you’re either lucky enough to be staffed on something high profile or a relentless self promoter. There are no promotion cycles. You’re lucky if a position a level above yours opens up at all, and if it does it almost always means you would have to switch to a different team that you don’t have the interest or expertise to work on. This rewards ruthless ambition and punishes loyalty and consistency. Diversity and inclusion is supposedly a priority but the (mostly white) leadership team makes constant missteps in this area, and nothing really seems to change. There is no accountability for bad managers, especially if they have done the politicking to get in good with people above them. Having a bad manager undermines your entire trajectory at TNTP because they have total control over your staffing and your evaluation.

Advice to Management

Think about how you can recognize and compensate workhorse employees who aren’t willing to claw out other people’s eyes to climb the career ladder. Provide every manager, at ALL levels, with structured training and ongoing support (including dedicated time for management tasks) to help them excel at managing people and make clear that that is a core function of their performance. Turn the expectations we have for our clients around transparency, career progression, and retention inward. Live within your means from a staffing standpoint: Don’t take a project on expecting underpaid staff to break their necks because you can’t afford to staff it adequately. If an organization is only sustainable because it overworks people, it isn’t sustainable.

TNTP2019-07-03
  6. "Flexible working enviornment"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible location and work is great

Cons

Work life balance can be tough at times

TNTP2019-05-23

"Effectiveness Coach"

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

The people and culture are a huge plus. I enjoy the day to day coaching aspect of developing teachers.

Cons

The ambiguity of the job at times can be frustrating. I was often not sure about my roles because it changed frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating your employees. It means a great deal.

TNTP2018-12-10
  8. "Great Company, Still Working on Culture"

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility, great perks, important work

Cons

Work life balance is pretty non existent. Sure, you can leave in the middle of the day to go pick up your kids from school, as long as you're back online, killing yourself until 10 PM and back online at 5 or 6 AM

TNTP2018-10-17

"Leadership Coach"

Current Employee - Leadership Coach in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TNTP is an amazing place to work. I believe in the mission and the values of the organization. TNTP also allows you to work independently, but also with opportunities to collaborate with others.

Cons

TNTP works on a contract-to-contract basis. Unfortunately, the contract I am working on may expire at the end of the year.

TNTP2018-08-23

""all or nothing""

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, caring staff. We worked crazy hard long hours, but we really believed in what we were doing and it was clear every single employee cared about the work and was passionate - or at least deeply invested - in the mission. No one just clocked in/clocked out; it was not that kind of place.

Cons

long hours w mediocre pay, hierarchical structure, too many meetings, little personal flexibility/individuality. Folks here were a little cult-like in following the organization, and the people "at the top" seemed very pleased with themselves for reaching those ranks - like "you can get here too if you really drink the cool aid." because there was such a focus on mission and the "way," you didn't have any room for your own projects or to interpret the way you wanted to handle things your own way, which got frustarting at times. It was like "if you don't like how the bus is being driven, get off the bus."

TNTP2018-08-25