Toffler Associates Reviews

Updated 4 Sep 2020

2.9
Toffler Associates CEO Maria Bothwell
Maria Bothwell

"Great Team Culture and Career Development Opportunities"

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Very flat organization, lots of opportunity to contribute immediately at high levels. Truly collaborative team.

Cons

Minimal training (but prior experience expected)

"Unique Firm with Strong Legacy and Potential"

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Toffler Associates is a great place for curious consultants who want continuous learning and growth. Projects are usually engaging and consultants at all levels have access to clients. For the most part, the opportunity exists for employees at the Research Associate and Associate levels to take major roles in project management and deliverable creation. The company has gone through significant evolutions in recent years but leaders are aligned on vision. The team is fun, cohesive, and diverse.

Cons

Research methods and knowledge management practices are in flux but the team recognizes that these are priorities.

"A good place to learn future focused strategy consulting"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Direct access with senior clients. Create deliverables that typically make a difference for the client. Team culture. Colleagues really like working with each other.

Cons

Small firm, have to really roll up your sleeves and work all aspects of engagement.

"Great place to learn from the best"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Amazing co-workers -Very interesting projects -Great brand -Fun culture -Good benefits

Cons

-Not much training -Limited upward growth

Continue reading

"Should be great but isn’t"

2.0

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given the lack of structure or method, you really learn quite a bit about good and bad ways to deliver consulting. There are still a few great people there who are fantastic to work with. Brand is viewed positively in select markets

Cons

Has been an up and down for years due to leadership challenges and a cult-like mentality at the top. Currently going through yet another turn around, and almost 40% of the company has left in recent months.

"Results of a Restructure – it’s hard but worth it"

4.0

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Our company values – the new and improved team has embraced our values that highlight our culture. The people writing reviews left so long ago they have no idea the corporate changes we have made within the last year and seem to hold a grudge for losing out on an amazing opportunity. I enjoy spending time with my colleagues, and sometimes that means working hard or long hours to solve problems. Many that are posting (we know our employees and colleagues well enough to recognize the posts) did not share that common goal – they would pass off work to anyone they could and talked about conceptual ideas – not the Jedi knights they thought they were. We finally shed the dead weight (employees) over the last couple years where people 1) felt entitled to great benefits without putting forth the effort to earn them, 2) thought a financial goal without a plan was good business, 3) were cancers and spread rumors within the company, 4) did not know how to manage and earn revenue, 5) did not live our values, 6) thought the more they opened their mouth the more they were achieving.

Cons

We’ve gone through some tough change, everyone who put in the hard work has gone through significant learning and self-reflection. Sometimes being a Type-A means you have to take a pill of humility. As a firm we were slow to learn that, but the significant change over the last year has clearly improved the firm.

Continue reading

"Ignore the tirades of indignant reviewers"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

I've been with Toffler Associates for about year and have found a truly enjoyable workplace. I have satisfaction and enjoyment in the clients I support and look forward to helping them work through their challenges. This is the first time in my career where I'm genuinely challenged to think and develop perspectives that are not in lockstep with traditional linear thinking organizations I've been in previously. Most consultants here support a variety of clients, are afforded opportunities to learn and experience business development, and take part of internal efforts to better the firm's development. We have great teammates, look out for one another, and do our best to have a good time while at work. The firm has a great culture that promotes fun and fosters team building. Miscellaneous pros: very competitive salary, top notch benefits and perks, and flexible work schedules/locations.

Cons

There are always trade offs in life. Many of the opportunities to learn and grow that I've mentioned come at the cost of time. We are a small firm and we can not simply afford to dedicate resources while neglecting client support. Because of this, I do tend to work a lot of hours, but again that is my choice for wanting to be apart of various activities and not a mandatory requirement. Miscellaneous cons: geographically dispersed workforce, challenges the come along with being a small firm

Continue reading

"There is method to the madness: the future is very bright"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Turnarounds are challenging experiences – for both the company and employees. It is something we preach to our own clients. Our firm leadership did not pretend we were immune to these challenges from the beginning, consistently stressing that it could get "uncomfortable." As we near the end of this process, we are in a much stronger position than just 18 months ago. We have employee owned, driven, and defined corporate values that prescribe action and go beyond the boilerplate "integrity and respect.” We have a diverse and vibrant workforce who enjoys each other’s company. We have stimulating client engagements with opportunities for growth that just did not exist one year ago, period. The firm pivoted, and optimism for the future is high. To summarize, I enjoy my colleagues and my time at Toffler. We get competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a work-life balance that is truly exceptional.

Cons

As I mentioned, we are in a turnaround and that comes with some friction and resistance. Leadership needs to keep driving this point home, transparently communicating our envisioned end-state, how we will get there, and continuing to provide opportunities for employees to achieve these goals.

Continue reading

"Beware of Toffler Associates"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Conceptually, TA is very good at identifying out of the box solutions for contemporary challenges. Lot's very smart people working very hard.

Cons

Lot's of very smart people working very hard, but with little direction. TA is very much a rudderless ship that touts the vision of its founder decades ago. Current leadership is not equipped to solve problems; only admire them smartly. Life at TA is very cliquish. Either you are in the circle with the could kids or you or out. There is no middle ground. For those on the outside expect to have a very short tenure. TA claims to be organizationally flat, but nothing could be further from the truth. Deb is queen bee. She has a very tight inner circle that does her bidding. Upset anyone in the inner circle and your time at TA is over. Additionally, TA abhors structure. They believe that by adding process and structure to an organization it limits creativity. A hippy concept that only retards business.

""Methodical Madness""

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Reston, VA

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were some good people who wanted to do the right thing.

Cons

If you go back to the earliest reviews you hear this reccuring theme of a "new and improved team" but it is nothing more than an illusion that quickly returns to the reality of that this place is a nightmare. Please do not be fooled buy the statements below from previous insiders that are only trying to use whatever tactics they can to hind the severely dysfunctional this organization is and will always be. 1. We’ve gone through some tough change, everyone who put in the hard work has gone through significant learning and self-reflection. 2. Sometimes being a Type-A means you have to take a pill of humility. 3. As a firm we were slow to learn that, but the significant change over the last year has clearly improved the firm. There has been no self reflection, no changes and certainly no pills of humility taken. The only thing you can count on is the constant purge of anyone who presents a new opinion or any opinion that does not comply with the leadership team. They are all extensions of the Managing Director Deb Westphal. They continue to hind their own incompetence and and shame behind a facade of yearly purges and false claims of a new organization. Please read between the lines and don't let yourself be duped by lies and false innuendo.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews