Weber Shandwick Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Weber Shandwick CEO Gail Heimann
Gail Heimann
  1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

The people, the work, diversity of projects.

Cons

Salary is pretty low compared to other industries

Weber Shandwick2018-12-01
  2. "Low Pay"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good people, broad network

Cons

Low pay, no bonus, limited transparency

Advice to Management

Pay people more

Weber Shandwick2019-09-25
  3. "Lots of opportunities if you go out and get it, otherwise can get stuck in a routine"

Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Friendly teams, huge clients, people with amazing experience

Cons

Salary is not high enough given the company

Weber Shandwick2019-09-07
  4. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Good mix of client portfolio,

Cons

Lack of diversity across teams and senior management and hires the same type of people

Weber Shandwick2019-09-04

"If you can, avoid."

Former Employee - Associate in London, England

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coffee Big clients Handing in my notice

Cons

Quite possibly the most inefficient and backwards working environment ever. Incredibly hierarchical, to the point that management creates utterly pointless, resource-wasting work that is demeaning just to ensure anyone 'below' them knows they are viewed as inferior Horrific culture of presenteeism that creates an egg-shell environment. If you leave before 7, you are not working hard enough, if you leave before 9... you are not working hard enough, if you are there after 10 then you are not fast enough... They systematically fired new joiners without any internal communications which made it genuinely feel like a rotating firing line. Pay is atrocious and on top of that you can wave goodbye to your weekends and evenings. I lost my social life when working at Weber and became an incredibly anxious person constantly checking emails 24/7. Promotion protocols are totally opaque and vague. It feels like a total pot-luck and almost entirely depends on how 'pally' you are with senior leadership not how good you are at your job.

Advice to Management

Seriously review why people are handing in their notice every week. Listen to you workforce and implement real action. You need a complete overhaul of your leadership practices and you need to review exactly what work you are doing and how because resources are not being efficiently used. Build those starting their career up, making them feel valued not just the admin juniors. Of course, some admin is... unavoidable but if people feel important they will take pride in all their tasks.

Weber Shandwick2019-07-04
  6. "Good place to work if working under the right person!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Good career development opportunities Good social agenda

Cons

Some people are set in their ways and not open to change which is frustrating

Weber Shandwick2019-06-14

"BULLYING CULTURE, HORRIBLE FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH AND WELL BEING"

Former Employee - Designer in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good name to have on your CV

Cons

- Soul sucking - Long hours and no reward (if you're not working 10+ hours a day then you are not going the extra mile) - Management are not clear or helpful, they bully and intimidate people to get what they want - Lack of support/ training - A lot of bullies, backstabbing and bitchiness - BIG EGOS AND LOUD MOUTHS

Advice to Management

Sort out your big egos and loud mouths around the office. They are soul destroying and aren't doing the company any good.

Weber Shandwick2019-07-01

"I survived so you don't have to"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time for more than a year

Pros

The London office is in a great location served by several main transport links, the surrounding area has many pubs and lunch choices for out of office, having a big holding company behind the agency means more resources available to the agency itself, and instant brand recognition.

Cons

It is unfortunate the systematic bullying I felt I experienced while here from my team's MD and my line manager has been noted by other reviewers. To outsiders, I would heed this with more seriousness than the glowing reviews. The team I worked on ostracized me right after I passed my probation, and the 'mean girls' on my team made many snide remarks behind my back (that I suppose they never thought I overheard or... was told about). Despite happy clients in my corner, I was somehow always the 'problem child' of the team for manufactured reasons. Even after I finally turned in my resignation, it continued. Not only did my MD pull me aside to start her last conversation to me with "Maybe as an American, you need to wrap your head around British notice periods" because I had suggested cutting mine short due to my 7%(!) billable ratio, but my line manager then sent an email after business hours calling me out for no longer being in the office and chastizing me for leave he had approved that I was taking. Neither of them bothered to show up or say anything to me on my last day, instead another director from a team we work with made a toast that started off with how he wanted to fire me when we first met. Truly, a toxic experience I will not only ensure I never experience again, but one I would prevent even my worst enemy from looking for. London has too many other good agencies.

Advice to Management

As the saying goes, the fish rots from the head. If you have MDs leading teams who foster a negative culture, that permeates across the rest of that team and then spills into the larger agency. The unreasonable weight placed on corporate hierarchy ("She's a junior so she can do that, I won't because I'm an associate director" etc.) is unhealthy and doesn't make the talent we should be nurturing and growing, eager to... come to work. Someone needs to hit the reset button and stop assuming that these experiences are few and far between, and only come from disgruntled employees.

Weber Shandwick2019-05-31
  9. "Weber Shandwick"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

exciting environment, great team, excellent training

Cons

Not for those who aren't willing to work as a team or go that extra mile

Weber Shandwick2019-05-09
  10. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Great location of offices, lovely people to work with, very integrated teams and many people to learn from

Cons

Long work hours with bad pay and very competitive when comes to promotions. Management aren't clear and don't communicate to employees

Weber Shandwick2019-05-01