learndirect Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

learndirect Chief Executive Officer Andy Palmer
Andy Palmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Never saw senior management in centres" (in 24 reviews)

• "LDC/Jhp focus on bums on seats and" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Brilliant Team"

I have been working at learndirect full-time

Pros

Fantastic team in the delivery centres
    Great team that support each other
    Dedicated and passionate tutors
    Flexibility
    Great progression opportunities

Cons

Its very changeable due to the nature of government funding and the industry as a whole but this ensures your skill set stays up to date

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on developing our teams. We have some great people that will turn into fantastic leaders

2. "Wish I could have continued teaching"

I worked at learndirect full-time

Pros

Great team. Brilliant to support learners

Cons

Bad senior management. Never saw senior management in centres.

"Should not be allowed to trade"

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at learndirect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the team of professionals I worked with

Cons

A list too long to go into BUT a management team that ran us into the ground with an arrogant belief that they could get a good OFSTED grade. Once the truth was out they a)tried to hide their mismanagement by blaming hard working dedicated staff, then b) jumped ship to LDA leaving hundreds of employees to be made redundant in small batches so as to avoid press coverage and more importantly, so as to avoid lengthy notice periods. A cynical self seeking bunch of incompetents that will no doubt bring down the new version.

Advice to Management

Here's hoping those you forced into redundancy get justice for the way they have been treated by getting new and better jobs, and seeing you lot inevitably fail

"Great team"

Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I worked at learndirect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Rewarding to support learners with their progression
    - Good team atmosphere, everyone is supportive and works hard to achieve their objectives
    - Hard working front line staff who cared about their learners
    - Good working environment
    - Range of opportunities for CPD
    - Easily able to communicate across the business
    - Lots of support available

Cons

- Once a great company, but company decisions over the last few years affected the quality of service and quality for learners which led to the damning Ofsted report. For a high-quality provider to not be following Ofsted standards was abysmal. Most middle management didn't know what the Ofsted standards were until after the inspection, which says it all. It's a huge shame that the company fell so hard.

"Horrible place to work, little respect for students"

Former Employee - English Teacher in London, England
    Former Employee - English Teacher in London, England

I worked at learndirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can quit the horrible job and feel great relief.

Cons

Incompetent managers, low wages, huge pressure to push students through the programmes as fast as possible (even if they are are ready for exams), students seen simply as cash cows or "bums-on-seats".

Advice to Management

Managers should travel back in time to when slavery was legal in order to feel completely at home

"New Ownership"

I have been working at learndirect full-time

Pros

A job I suppose but difficult to find a positive.

Cons

Too many to list here but in the new world a job title is meaningless. All positions could be put under a single job description which would be 'whatever the owner wants at any time of day'

Advice to Management

Would be difficult to get a word in edgeways.

"Honestly, you really couldn't make this up..."

I worked at learndirect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before we open the dark door to the dungeon of truth, let me start off by saying this. The frontline staff at learndirect - Admin, Tutors, Partnerships, BM's and RM's are some of the most dedicated and fantastic staff I have ever had the good fortune to work with. Right to the very bitter end they have remained committed to their learners, referral partners and employers. Also, they have remained loyal to learndirect, a company that quite honestly does not deserve a shred of loyalty (see below for further expansion on this theme). Those actually running the centres deserve so much credit for the way they have carried on in the face of almost impossible adversity. Full respect to you all - you are all amazing people who deserve better. I don't even blame the SMT (although I know that many do) - lets be honest, the damage was done long ago (funny how those actually responsible always land on their feet with a another plum role).

Cons

The temptation to go into full on "Gammon / Falling Down" mode at this point would be far too easy, and the last thing I intend to do is to come across as bitter. However...... I don't think I have ever worked for an organisation where the frontline staff are treated with so much disrespect and disdain - especially during the 12 months post OFSTED. The lack of direct communication from the SMT is almost laughable - honestly, you would have a better chance of receiving regular updates via the Ouija board. As for our esteemed colleagues over at LDA - thanks! Thanks for ruining a fantastic company, dragging it through the dirt and then departing with a nice pay off with absolutely zero concern for the colleagues you left behind - I hope you enjoy life with your new masters, be warned though the gravy train is now empty.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff. Simple as that. Show some class and actually THANK them for their hard work and dedication BEFORE they close the centre doors for the final time. Just a quick email would do - something to show that you actually realise that they still exist. Seriously, try it - you'll be surprised, it might make you feel better about yourselves.

"Fancy a trip to a lay-by?"

I worked at learndirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got left alone to get on with your job. And if you didnt, and SLT waded in with their crap ideas, you just ignored them anyway as everyone knew they would have forgotten they even emailed you once someone new arrived to have an affair with. I also watched 80% of all Netflix content in my last 2 months, which was nice.

Cons

With the exception of a certain Scottish fellow, everyone in SLT was too busy playing "keys in a bowl, down with your trousers, who is next for a promotion!" with each other to listen to any problems, come up with any solutions, or basically do the job they were paid to do. Whatever that job was. That and drinking Irish-only Diet Coke

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter now does it, you will all be fired once the new owner realises how useless you are, and doesn't fancy any of you.

"A fecal time bomb"

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at learndirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will earn enough to be able to afford the amount of alcohol you need to continue working here.

Cons

Having a job that sucks the life out of you but doesn't suck the fat from your backside.

Advice to Management

Sweetie, I am thankful that you have shown me exactly what I do not want to be. You live in a Positively Ridiculous World :)

"Business Manager"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at learndirect full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some very committed ,professional people who respect learners and have a genuine desire to help people. Hardworking tutors genuinely cared.

Cons

Ran by incompetent executive team who made decisions on a whim, had no regard for the staff who worked there and seemed oblivious of who we worked with.
    Senior team have a history of withholding information and lying to anyone not in the inner circle of a small few. Nepotism counted for more than ability. They are solely driven by the need to extract as much salary for themselves as possible and have no interest in the learners who used the end product, often referring them as "broken biscuits" . They were so arrogant they introduced a "No Plan B" ethos where it was all their was and no one else had an opinion, The ofsted grade 4 exposed a whole bag of rotten apples with management practices being the worst area. The senior exec response following this was " we need to do this for ofsted" or "just make it look good" no focus on the learners from the top. IT in the company was a joke with platforms constantly falling over stopping training. This however was only regarded as a minor issue where the phones being out of action for the people in head office who all had company mobils was the top priority. I went from being proud of working in the company to having to defend its clouded reputation on a daily basis. I am not as seems bitter as for 9 of my 10 years there I was proud to help numerous people to achieve their individual goals in life,

Advice to Management

Try putting as much passion into your work life as you do your social activities. Please change careers you have no place in any company involved in people. Andy stop being misled you were a great manager once.