Fitbit Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Fitbit Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Fitbit

2.7

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screen which involved talking to an engineer while coding on a shared screen sort of system. Wasn't too hard a question, but I fumbled a bit with some of the pointer syntax. The engineer was very helpful, and a lot of fun to talk to, so got through the minor hiccups. Next up was a coding assignment without a "deadline", but I figured it'd be better to turn it in ASAP. Took me an entire weekend to be confident enough to submit it. Then came the on-site, where they have 2 interviewers per round. So I spent the day talking to about 10 engineers ( 2 during lunch, which doesn't really count), and I was pretty tired by the end of it. The questions weren't too hard, and were quite applicable to the job I was interviewing for. The interviewers were all nice, and made me feel quite comfortable, even though I wasn't having the best day. Didn't expect to get the job, but was pleasantly surprised when I got an email a couple days later saying they'd make me an offer! Seems like there was a disconnect somewhere. I ended up waiting a month for them to get back saying they weren't really going to make an offer after all. A really disappointing experience to say the least! But, whatever the problems with their hiring process, my interactions with the engineers did make it seem like it would be a good place to work.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Fitbit

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Diego, CA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

15 minute phone screen, 1 hour technical phone interview, 4 to 5 hour at-home programming challenge. The phone interview included a basic programming problem, along with numerous questions about hardware and embedded experience. The programming challenge was relevant and well-stated: it focused on bit arithmetic and data structures.

Interview Questions

• Split a linked list into even and odd members in C (using HackerRank CodePair)   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

1. HR Phone Screen
    2. Technical Phone Interview w/ Code Sharing
    3. Coding Challenge
    4. In Person

I breezed through the HR phone screen and the technical phone interview.

During the technical interview I was given a choice on wether I wanted to do a coding question on linked lists or memcpy. I chose memcpy and I started with a simple implementation, copying byte by byte. Interviewer said that reading 4 bytes took the same amount of time to read 1 byte so how could you optimize it. You just set the pointer to be int32_t type and then copy them and then decrement the size by 4. Then he asked what if the src wasn't on a 4 byte boundary in memory, solution to this is to copy bytes until the pointer is on a boundary then copy 4 bytes at a time, and then bytes at the end until size is 0. Then was asked about what if the src and dest were overlapping, this is simple, you just check if the address for the dest pointer plus + size is less than src, if its not, copy from the end.

I was given the coding challenge which was reading a binary file and pulling 12 bit values from it and outputting the last 32 values read as well as the largest 32 bit values. I did this successfully but was not put through to an in person interview with no feedback other than my solution was not the best match at this time. I was surprised because I kept track of the largest values using using a sorted linked list containing only 32 values, and used a circular buffer to keep track of the last values read. Inserting into the linked list was almost going to have to go through 31 nodes and updating the circular buffer took O(1). I'm not aware of a more optimal solution but perhaps thats why I didn't get an in person.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fitbit (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

The email reply to the online application came within minutes of when I clicked submit. The interview occurred a few days later. The interviewer from HR sounded quite positive at the end, but her boss nixed the process later.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Was reached out to on LinkedIn. Had quick 30-minute call to see if I was interested. 1-hour phone interview with an engineer. Take home coding test. On-site last.

I got rejected after the take home coding test. That's fine and all since I wasn't really looking for another job, but they sent the notice from a non-fitbit address and from a no-reply address so I had no chance to ask questions. I know my submission worked, so it is a shame I didn't have an opportunity to figure out what they didn't like or explain why I did certain things.

Interview Questions

• Sort a list into two even and odd lists   Answer Question
    • Take an input file and generate an output file of sorts based on specifications.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucharest (Romania)

Interview

Interviewed with a total of 11 people (11 total man-hours spent for a single candidate!) for onsite + phone.

The only feedback was that the team was looking for someone else with more experience in a certain non-embedded area, despite passing all the technical interviews and being rejected by the HR one (though they didn't mention this part).

Beware the hidden anti-poaching deal that is practiced between large US-based companies in Bucharest.

Interview Questions

• Generic C, algo & DS and OS questions.   1 Answer

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fitbit.

Interview

I interviewed through a university co-op program. I was interviewed by two people from different locations, then sent a coding challenge through email and given a week to complete on my own time. There was no technical portion in the in-person interview; the talking centred around my previous projects/experience as well as the company's new device. The take-home challenge involved implementing a non-binary tree in C with appropriate searching methods for nodes via a numerical ID and string name. I was contacted about three weeks later with an offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the most difficult programming problem that you have encountered, and how you solved it.   Answer Question
    • If you could write an app for any of Fitbit's devices, what app would you write?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.