Fitbit Senior Firmware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Fitbit Senior Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Fitbit

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (Boston, MA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the company website. I was contacted the next day by the recruiter, who talked to me about my experience. He was not very friendly. He set me up with a phone interview with a principal engineer. Did some live coding and Q&A with the engineer. That must have went well, because I was then sent a coding challenge. The coding challenge involves reading 12 bit data from a file and some data structures for storing the data that was read. I performed the coding challenge in the same night and returned it to him. I can only conclude my answer was satisfactory as I was then invited on site.

The coordination / communication with the recruiter was poor- I had to state numerous times I was not local and needed travel booked but could stay with friends / family while I was in town. I could tell she was not listening because she booked me a hotel anyways (which I had them cancel because I felt it was wasteful). On top of it all, they booked me on Spirit (worst airline in existence).

The on site interview was unpleasant. I interviewed for 5 hours straight through lunch time (roughly 11-4) but was not provided with a break or food. I'm not sure who came up with that idea, but its customary / common sense to treat potential employees a little better.

I met with a bunch of different people, some were pushy, some were nice, some people who were interviewing me seemed to be new grads (wtf?). It was odd to be fielding behavior questions from fresh outs when I was interviewing for a senior position. Got a lot of cocky vibes from the engineers there, I was not clicking with them but nonetheless was answering their questions correctly. With the types of egos in the interview, you'd think I was interviewing at Apple or Google. I knew I wasn't going to be offered as I could tell the chemistry was a bit off. A few days letter came the rejection email, and they didn't even use the right name in the email (an obvious copy / paste error). I thought this was wildly unprofessional. I probed for some extra feedback, but was provided with the standard nonsense. All in all a negative experience for sure.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Fitbit

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fitbit.

Interview

I had a HR phone interview. The person asked me more technical questions than basic HR questions. He was asking a lot about Operating systems and my project experience. The overall experience was not so pleasant because the person who interviewed was a little rude.

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Diego, CA (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website. Then no word from them for months. I got an email from their recruiter who basically just went over my resume. I'm an EE with no formal coding training so I'm suprised they even got back to me.

Anyway, the recruiter seemed to like me so he set me up with one of their hiring managers for an interactive coding challenge involving linked lists. Luckily, I got a heads up from a review on glassdoor about them asking linked list questions so I studied up on them the few days prior. I got through most of it but got nervous and fumbled at the end. He told me to work on it for a little while after we got off the phone and email it back to him. Well, I did. Then I didn't hear anything back for a while until I got another email from their recruiter with the next coding challenge.

See my below comments about the coding challenge.

My suggestion to Fitbit is be more specific about what you're looking for in a candidate and ask questions which are relevant to that specific job. Firmware engineering is a huge field.

Interview Questions

• Refactor a linked list containing random numbers into two linked lists - one even and one odd.   1 Answer
    • Read in a binary file containing an unknown number of packed 12bit values. Then output a file containing the last 32 values read and the 32 largest values.   1 Answer

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

The company follows the standard process. First, a Hiring Recruiter screens applicants. Second, a Hiring Manager performs phone interview, including a coding challenge. Third, the Applicant is Emailed a more in depth coding challenge. Fourth, an Onsite interview is performed by the engineers that the applicant could be working with.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations for next 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Write a routine that refactors a linked list into two lists, odd/even based upon a data value.   1 Answer
    • Longer coding challenge, spend 4-6 hours, write a program that takes packed binary values and manipulates them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fitbit (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

The process overall took a little over 2 months - at least part of that was due to my tight schedule, but some of that appeared to be because of email snafu's at their end.

I applied on the Fitbit careers web page, was contacted by a recruiter, did a phone screen with the recruiter, then a phone interview with a Principal Firmware Engineer from the Boston office, then an at-home "coding challenge", then a 1/2 day onsite series of interviews in the Boston office, then a 1/2 onsite seriew of interview in the San Francisco office.

The phone interview included a session on collabedit during which I coded up a simple C problem.

The coding challenge was kind of fun. If work was all like that problem I might do it for free.

The 1/2 day interviews both consisted of a series of 1 hour interviews with pairs of engineers, during each which I was asked to code up and solve a C coding problem. The problems got more and more complex as the interviews went on and the presentation of the problems got more and more vague. By the end of each series I was feeling pretty groggy.

There seemed to be some confusion and lack of communication between the Boston and SF offices about the coding questions - one of the teams in SF wanted me to solve a problem I had already been presented with in Boston, so they had to go with plan B (I'm not sure they had a plan B but they came up with one on the spot).

In the end I wasn't offered a position, and the only feedback I was given that "It was a very tough call but they have ultimately decided to move forward with other candidates" and "there were a few red flags regarding technical ability and drive to dig in deep into problems". In my defense, after almost 4 hours of constantly being bombarded with one issue after another (and after a transcontinental flight to boot), it's unlikely that I'm going to be able to code up a complete linked list system which is just the first step in setting up the timer callback system that they asked me about in the first place (never mind that they don't define the constraints of the system I'm writing this for). My feeling is that that particular interviewer had decided based on my resume that he didn't want to hire me and was just looking for confirmation of his decision.

This all sounds a bit like sour grapes, and I was certainly disappointed in their decision, but I had already decided that I was probably going to decline any offer. I think they made the right decision - I wouldn't be a good fit for Fitbit; it's too big and corporate for what I'm looking for. So it all worked out for the best. I wish, though, that it hadn't taken quite as long as it did.

I should note that there appeared be email problems dealing with the HR/recruiter. I sent several emails to her which she never answered, and then some time later she would send me an email asking what my status was and if I had any questions - it was clear that she had never seen my emails. This happened for example when I asked some questions about the coding challenge and when I submitted the coding challenge - I submitted it on Monday and on Friday got an email asking if I had any questions about it (!). This was someone distressing. The HR/recruiter person blamed it on their firewall but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because some of my emails definitely went through.

Interview Questions

• Describe a work situation where you responded emotionally.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fitbit (Boston, MA (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a very interesting ordeal. From start to finish the whole process took about 2 months. Though my interview process only says Boston, I interviewed in both the Boston and San Francisco offices.

I applied in early August 2015. I heard back from Fitbit about a week and a half-later and that set up a quick phone screen with the technical recruiter to describe my background and information on my resume. After that I setup a technical phone screen with one of the engineering staff, where they confirmed my development ability.

The next phase of the interview process was a code challenge. I received it the same day as my technical phone screen. Though there is no time limit specified in the documentation, it clearly was do it as fast as possible.

After this came 2 rounds of onsite interviews. The first one was in the Boston office, it was about 2 weeks after the coding challenge. It was 3 hours, meeting with 4 people (1 on 1 for the first 2 hours, then 2 people the last hour). Two weeks later they few me out to their San Francisco office for 5 hours of interviews. This was 2 on 1 for all 5 hours, the two hours before and after lunch were technical, with a social interview at lunch.

All in all the process was very good. However I had to give this a neutral experience because upon notifying Fitbit of an impending offer from another company, they got back to me notifying me that they would also be making me an offer. However, a day later, they notified me that they had changed their mind and were not making me an offer. While this is ok, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I would have prefered they took their time in making a decision and then told me no. The yes/no was a big let down and just not ideal.

Take nothing for granted until it's in writing.

Interview Questions

• Given an NDA, I can't reveal the questions. I can tell you that my coding challenge and some of my tech questions have been posted.

The key is know your knowledge of firmware development. The coding challenge absolutely requires firmware coding styles. The technical interviews are about understanding problem solving. Interact with your interviewers and you should be fine.   Answer Question

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. During the first phone screening I was told the of the hiring process. The first is the initial phone screening with the recruiter. The second interview would be a phone interview with one of the engineers and would require an internet connection to share code. The third part would be a coding challenge. The last stage would be an in person interview with the team.

During the technical phone interview I was asked the basic interview questions such as "Why are you looking to leave your current position?" and other questions questions of that nature. The technical portion of the interview was to write a function to merge two linked lists so the numbers are in order.

1 -> 3 -> 5 -> 7
    2 -> 4 -> 6 -> 8 -> 10

I was told at the end of the technical interview that I had done very well and I should expect to move on to the coding challenge.

The coding challenge was taking a binary file that has 12-bit data sets and print the highest 32 values and the last 32 values. The coding challenge took me about 4-5 hours to complete. After I submitted the coding challenge I was told to expect a response in a week.

It took two weeks to respond and I was told that I would not be moving forward in the interview process and also stated they could not give me specifics on why I was not considered.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are pretty standard for interviews. The technical questions were focused on working through a problem instead of general coding knowledge questions.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.