G-Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.6

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Online test, followed by 2 on site interview sessions each consisting of 3 interviews of an hour each.

The online test was easier than similar tests I have taken at other companies, but seemed pitched fairly well to weed out weak applicants without making it unreasonably hard.

The first day of interviews were all with members of the team I applied for, and all almost exclusively technical.

The second day was a mixture of technical interviews and more qualitative interviews with senior staff.

Generally a well organised process.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, but most of it is the kind of stuff you can prepare for by practising on hacker rank.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at G-Research (Pasadena, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The first step is a 90-minute written test covering probability, statistics, basic finance, etc. I took this at a remote location. The exam is then scanned and transmitted to G-Research. If one passes the test, you move on to a phone interview and then potentially an in-person interview. I did not advance beyond the first step. It is certainly worthwhile to refresh one's knowledge, especially if years have passed since undergrad and you have not taken a test since then or early in grad school. If you don't, the test will probably be quite difficult.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

The first stage was to take a 90-minute exam. The first part was pretty straightforward. The second part gave a few harder problems and you had to pick one to solve--if you can spot the trick they're not bad.

Round two was a video interview. This was more of a behavioral interview. The interviewer went over my education and experience. Some technical questions were woven in. For example, he'd go into my programming experience then ask a question about object-oriented programming. This was scheduled for an hour, but we only talked for half that time. The next day I got a rejection e-mail that had a cryptic comment about them not being convinced about my motivations.

While I will praise their efficiency--it is truly marvelous how quickly they got back to me and moved through the process--I found the commentary on my motivations rather rude.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with fat tails in linear regression?   Answer Question

G-Research Response

12 Mar 2018 – Recruitment

You will be reminded that you would have signed an NDA prohibiting you from sharing any confidential information, including details of test questions. We have the right to action the NDA, therefore... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Phone interview covering general programming knowledge and a hackerrank coding challenge.

Half day of on-sites with 3 interviews:
    - Systems Design
    - Programming Exercise
    - Algorithms & Data Structures

Was not invited back for second round of on-sites, but overall very enjoyable interview process. Very pleasant and intelligent interviewers and a great recruiter who was very forthcoming with information about the company and guidance about the interview process. Thanks Max! Received very detailed interview feedback on where I did and didn't perform well.

Overall great experience. A company that treats candidates with respect.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research in July 2018.

Interview

There is a ~ 1 hr exam they set up for you. It is very similar to the past exams on their website. I did reasonably well on this, and was given a phone interview. The phone interview asked a number of more open-ended but superficial questions about optimization / machine learning. At the end were two quite difficult quantitative questions. One was about probability, the other about algorithms. I did not do well enough on these questions to advance further in the process.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied through a referral, passed the initial HR screening (phone call), then took a 90 minute written test, I barely passed the test but flunked the "triage interview". This interview was mainly about the parts of the test where I did not perform well, it was pretty technical (as in write calculations with pen and paper technical). The interviewer felt that I needed too much handholding to solve the problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2012.

Interview

Had to sign a confidentiality form so I won't get into much detail. Anyway, the interview involves no human interaction: the only words I exchanged with the interviewer were to answer the question "Java or C#?". Then, you are given some problems (I had 4) and you have a computer to code them up. They use Windows, and you have both Visual Studio and Eclipse at your disposal. They expect you to code up running code, and you have only 1h. Definitely a hard interview (I failed).

Interview Questions

• I can't get into detail on this one due to confidentiality, but basically I was asked to write a software that, given the appointments of n people and a period of time (say a long in ms), finds the soonest moment in which you can organize a meeting with all of them present which lasts that long. So it's about finding intersections, and in addition the whole appointments thing was a premade class from them, so they kind of expect you to build upon other people's code in very short time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

First stage was a programming exercise that could be done at home - rather tricky, but very fun to work on.

This was followed by on-site interviews, which lasted ca. 4 hours with 3 interviews in total, each led by 2 people. These mostly focused on technical questions, testing both a broader understanding of programming principles, as well as some more in-depth questions. The questions were fair and well thought through; each solvable rather quickly in principle, but allowing for different approaches while leaving room to explain one's thought process behind whatever approach was taken; and presented in a way that would allow the interviewers to give certain tips to formulate a solution, rather than strict "do or do not know it"-questions).

Feedback after the interview was given within 3 working days.

All in all, a tough but very enjoyable experience - which is quite a rarity to say about any job interview.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Very challenging process, you really need to know your stuff.
    Every interviewer was obviously smart and easy to talk to.
    There is online part + multiple onsites potentially.

G-Research is an amazing company and their interview process is the toughest one I've ever had.
    I got an extremely good offer which I happily accepted.

Prepare for algorithms, data structures, system design and skill based questions. They expect you to generate production ready, clean and correct code.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in February 2018.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen, followed by a "homework" coding test and several face-to-face interviews. The interview process I felt was polished and straightforward, and the recruitment team were universally excellent in facilitating this. The interviews themselves I was more disappointed with, as I felt there was too heavy an emphasis on academic computer science knowledge rather than practical development skills.

Interview Questions

• Like everyone else, I had to sign an NDA and cannot discuss the questions asked.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.