G-Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

G-Research Interview Questions

Interviews at G-Research

3.5

Quant Researcher Interview

Interview

Call with a recruiter, then quantitative written test, then a triage interview, then three interviews on your choice of three between Math, Stats, ML, and Finance. They gave me plenty of feedback afterwards.

Quant Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

It was a video conference with one person. They asked me about my research (I am a PhD student), why I want to go into finance, then asked some math/statistics questions, then asked a programming question.

Interview Questions

• - How would you approximate sqrt(110)?
      - Describe linear regression, in particular what it is optimizing.
      - What would be the best fit line for the points (0,4), (2,4) and (2,6)?
      - There is a group of n people, and you are given a function know(i,j) that outputs True if person i knows person j. Note that this is not necessarily symmetric, i.e. person i may know person j, but person j may not know person i. A celebrity is a person that everyone knows, but who knows no one else. Write a function that outputs a list of all the celebrities.   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (New York, NY (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

The first part was a 90minutes written test. Very convenient recruiting team that proposed me to do it directly from New York. The second stage was a 60minutes skype interview with a quant and an intern. They were friendly and structured the interview. At the end I received a full feedback. Was not quick enough on the mathematical questions but overall good experience.

Quant Platform Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

BEWARE OF HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Company will offer to reimburse your several thousand dollar flights, and then ghost you after they reject you.

REQUIRE THEM TO PAY FOR THE FLIGHTS THEMSELVES OR UPFRONT GIVE YOU THE MONEY.

Also, do yourself a favor and read the Bloomberg article.

Interview Questions

G-Research Response

5 Feb 2019 – Recruitment

Hi. First and foremost we apologise for the delay to your expenses being paid. However, it has come to our attention that the bank details that you provided were incorrect - which you have confirmed was your error. This would undoubtedly have had an impact on the time it took to get your expenses paid. I must stress that "ghosting" candidates and avoiding paying expenses is not in any way in our interests and is not our standard practice - we regularly fly people from all over the world and the vast majority are given feedback and have expenses paid in a timely manner. We did offer via the agency to pay upfront, as it was such a large amount of money - however this offer may not have been passed on. All feedback we receive is taken on board, and we regularly review our interview processes based on this. If you would still like to discuss this, please feel free to email: hiring@gresearch.co.uk and we can arrange a conversation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Phone interview covering general programming knowledge and a hackerrank coding challenge.

Half day of on-sites with 3 interviews:
    - Systems Design
    - Programming Exercise
    - Algorithms & Data Structures

Was not invited back for second round of on-sites, but overall very enjoyable interview process. Very pleasant and intelligent interviewers and a great recruiter who was very forthcoming with information about the company and guidance about the interview process. Thanks Max! Received very detailed interview feedback on where I did and didn't perform well.

Overall great experience. A company that treats candidates with respect.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied through a referral, passed the initial HR screening (phone call), then took a 90 minute written test, I barely passed the test but flunked the "triage interview". This interview was mainly about the parts of the test where I did not perform well, it was pretty technical (as in write calculations with pen and paper technical). The interviewer felt that I needed too much handholding to solve the problems.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research in July 2018.

Interview

There is a ~ 1 hr exam they set up for you. It is very similar to the past exams on their website. I did reasonably well on this, and was given a phone interview. The phone interview asked a number of more open-ended but superficial questions about optimization / machine learning. At the end were two quite difficult quantitative questions. One was about probability, the other about algorithms. I did not do well enough on these questions to advance further in the process.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

The first stage was to take a 90-minute exam. The first part was pretty straightforward. The second part gave a few harder problems and you had to pick one to solve--if you can spot the trick they're not bad.

Round two was a video interview. This was more of a behavioral interview. The interviewer went over my education and experience. Some technical questions were woven in. For example, he'd go into my programming experience then ask a question about object-oriented programming. This was scheduled for an hour, but we only talked for half that time. The next day I got a rejection e-mail that had a cryptic comment about them not being convinced about my motivations.

While I will praise their efficiency--it is truly marvelous how quickly they got back to me and moved through the process--I found the commentary on my motivations rather rude.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with fat tails in linear regression?   Answer Question

G-Research Response

12 Mar 2018 – Recruitment

You will be reminded that you would have signed an NDA prohibiting you from sharing any confidential information, including details of test questions. We have the right to action the NDA, therefore would ask that you remove the interview question as soon as possible.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at G-Research (Pasadena, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The first step is a 90-minute written test covering probability, statistics, basic finance, etc. I took this at a remote location. The exam is then scanned and transmitted to G-Research. If one passes the test, you move on to a phone interview and then potentially an in-person interview. I did not advance beyond the first step. It is certainly worthwhile to refresh one's knowledge, especially if years have passed since undergrad and you have not taken a test since then or early in grad school. If you don't, the test will probably be quite difficult.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Submitted CV and then got sent a 1.5h technical test.
    Test was 4 questions; 2 basic python, 1 MySQL, and 1 basic data science.
    The questions themselves weren't too difficult but I did run out of time. Probably could have managed it if I had done a bit of preparation beforehand. As with many of these technical tests, the time constraints can make it more of a test of speed-coding so it helps to have some pre-prepared code fragments that you can call on to solve whatever problems they throw at you

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.