G-Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

G-Research Interview Questions

Interviews at G-Research

3.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Phone interview covering general programming knowledge and a hackerrank coding challenge.

Half day of on-sites with 3 interviews:
    - Systems Design
    - Programming Exercise
    - Algorithms & Data Structures

Was not invited back for second round of on-sites, but overall very enjoyable interview process. Very pleasant and intelligent interviewers and a great recruiter who was very forthcoming with information about the company and guidance about the interview process. Thanks Max! Received very detailed interview feedback on where I did and didn't perform well.

Overall great experience. A company that treats candidates with respect.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at G-Research (Pasadena, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The first step is a 90-minute written test covering probability, statistics, basic finance, etc. I took this at a remote location. The exam is then scanned and transmitted to G-Research. If one passes the test, you move on to a phone interview and then potentially an in-person interview. I did not advance beyond the first step. It is certainly worthwhile to refresh one's knowledge, especially if years have passed since undergrad and you have not taken a test since then or early in grad school. If you don't, the test will probably be quite difficult.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

The first stage was to take a 90-minute exam. The first part was pretty straightforward. The second part gave a few harder problems and you had to pick one to solve--if you can spot the trick they're not bad.

Round two was a video interview. This was more of a behavioral interview. The interviewer went over my education and experience. Some technical questions were woven in. For example, he'd go into my programming experience then ask a question about object-oriented programming. This was scheduled for an hour, but we only talked for half that time. The next day I got a rejection e-mail that had a cryptic comment about them not being convinced about my motivations.

While I will praise their efficiency--it is truly marvelous how quickly they got back to me and moved through the process--I found the commentary on my motivations rather rude.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with fat tails in linear regression?   Answer Question

12 Mar 2018 – Recruitment

You will be reminded that you would have signed an NDA prohibiting you from sharing any confidential information, including details of test questions. We have the right to action the NDA, therefore... More

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied through a referral, passed the initial HR screening (phone call), then took a 90 minute written test, I barely passed the test but flunked the "triage interview". This interview was mainly about the parts of the test where I did not perform well, it was pretty technical (as in write calculations with pen and paper technical). The interviewer felt that I needed too much handholding to solve the problems.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research in July 2018.

Interview

There is a ~ 1 hr exam they set up for you. It is very similar to the past exams on their website. I did reasonably well on this, and was given a phone interview. The phone interview asked a number of more open-ended but superficial questions about optimization / machine learning. At the end were two quite difficult quantitative questions. One was about probability, the other about algorithms. I did not do well enough on these questions to advance further in the process.

Quant Platform Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

BEWARE OF HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Company will offer to reimburse your several thousand dollar flights, and then ghost you after they reject you.

REQUIRE THEM TO PAY FOR THE FLIGHTS THEMSELVES OR UPFRONT GIVE YOU THE MONEY.

Also, do yourself a favor and read the Bloomberg article.

Interview Questions

G-Research Response

5 Feb 2019 – Recruitment

Hi.
    First and foremost we apologise for the delay to your expenses being paid. However, it has come to our attention that the bank details that you provided were incorrect - which you have confirmed... More

Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in November 2018.

Interview

There was an online test on Linux and Networking after the application has been made, and then an invitation to an assessment centre. There were different tasks at the assessment centre involving roleplaying as a placement student and working with other applicants. The train journey and accommodation for the journey were paid for via reimbursement, however it took them about a month and a half at least to get round to doing it.

Interview Questions

• How you would react to certain situations if you were to get the job and there were certain roleplaying exercises, such as a simulated phone call with a stakeholder.   Answer Question

5 Feb 2019 – Recruitment

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. We apologise for the delay in paying your travel and accommodation expenses. As a result of the feedback we have received about this, we will... More

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2018.

Interview

An online test, followed by two half-days of in-person interviews. A mix of technical and managerial interviews during those sessions.

On the technical side, be prepared to think algorithmically. That doesn’t mean memorising every algorithm or data structure you learnt at university or found in an interview prep book – but you do need to get your head into that mindset.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2012.

Interview

Had to sign a confidentiality form so I won't get into much detail. Anyway, the interview involves no human interaction: the only words I exchanged with the interviewer were to answer the question "Java or C#?". Then, you are given some problems (I had 4) and you have a computer to code them up. They use Windows, and you have both Visual Studio and Eclipse at your disposal. They expect you to code up running code, and you have only 1h. Definitely a hard interview (I failed).

Interview Questions

• I can't get into detail on this one due to confidentiality, but basically I was asked to write a software that, given the appointments of n people and a period of time (say a long in ms), finds the soonest moment in which you can organize a meeting with all of them present which lasts that long. So it's about finding intersections, and in addition the whole appointments thing was a premade class from them, so they kind of expect you to build upon other people's code in very short time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Online test, followed by 2 on site interview sessions each consisting of 3 interviews of an hour each.

The online test was easier than similar tests I have taken at other companies, but seemed pitched fairly well to weed out weak applicants without making it unreasonably hard.

The first day of interviews were all with members of the team I applied for, and all almost exclusively technical.

The second day was a mixture of technical interviews and more qualitative interviews with senior staff.

Generally a well organised process.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, but most of it is the kind of stuff you can prepare for by practising on hacker rank.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.