Zalando Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Zalando Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 25 Nov 2018

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me, which turned into a Skype chat.

This was followed by a Skype interview with another recruiter, who then signed me up for a Codility online test.

The coding test had no real relevance to what I would be working on, this part of the process felt silly and condescending.

Finally, 3 separate hour long Skype coding interviews on the same day.

I got to code in two of these interviews, which went great.

I bombed the last of these where I had a sour and negative interviewer who vetoed me.

Interview Questions

• Describe your biggest work failure.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Zalando

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online for relocation. First was simple Codility test, then screening Skype interview with HR asking personal questions.

She disappeared after the interview, ignores emails. Hoping she didn't get hit by truck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied at Zalando on position of Senior Software Engineer at September 2017.

After 1 week of waiting HR manager contacts me, sent information about company and schedule online (hangouts call) interview.

At this interview we speak about my future position and about my expectations about this job. Also manager give some advice about things that may help me get positive feedback from interviewers.

After that she schedule 3 online interviews with developers. Two of interviewers were just random engineers from Zalando and one of them was Data Scientist from team where I applied.

At first interview, after introducing section, I was asked to solve some small coding tasks in Python and answer general questions:
    - REST, REST vs SOAP
    - Are you familiar with Circuit breakers, retries..

I must admit that my answers were not the best. But at all process of interview Zalando engineer was pleasant and helpful and left great experience after all.

Second interviewer was Data Scientist from team in which I have applied. There was also coding task for 20 mins and some talk about my previous experience and work expectations. And again I must admit that interviewer was very helpful and positive.

At third interview I also asked to introduce myself and my experience, after that I had strange coding task (where you not need not only write working code but also "beautiful" in the understanding of the interviewer), after that I was asked to explain in details how HashMap works.
    I must admit that my answer for that question was a bit general: I told interviewer about underlying array, about hash function and about process of underlying array resize (just because last time I write HashMap at university). But interview at his review mentioned that this fact means that I can claim myself only as Junior Software Engineer (because of big gaps in knowledge).
    I think that it is a really strange review.

After interview a was waiting for 3 weeks to get rejection email.
    I must admit that HR manager was very helpful for all this period.

So, in general:
    - Process seems to be a little prolonged
    - HR manager is helpful and interviews (except one) are seems to be adequate and interesting

Interview Questions

• Detailed explanation of HashMap   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in August 2017.

Interview

Technical Pre-screening - Over Skype - 1 Hour

Interviewer was nice person, but lacking technical knowledge, so tried to pick on meaningless things.

Coding Test:

Online. Simple function to encode some string. Interviewer took trivial mistakes and highlighted them.

In conclusion, it seems like a nice company, but the process is such that if someone decides not to hire you based on extraneous factors, they can make up any excuse.

Interview Questions

• Do you know get function complexity of HashMap?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)).

Interview

After a short phone screening call, I received a Codility coding challenge consisting of 3 task. A couple of days later I received an invite to Berlin office for 3 interviews, one hour each. The whole interview process was very quick and smooth.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were related to a system design and performance optimizations.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando (Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)) in July 2017.

Interview

You will have a call with recruiter followed by online coding challenge. The recruiter was nice she explained about radical agility, the company has no managers, that is really cool.

Interview Questions

• 1. You are given bunch of image names locations date, you will have to sort based on date generate a seq number, but output should be in the order in which the items were received.   1 Answer
    • 1. Given a array of integers find the index which partitions the array to two with high numbers and low numbers. For example [5, -1, 3, 8,6] the index 3 will partition the array to [5,-1,3] and [8,6] all the numbers in the second partition are greater than first. The solution has to work in O(n).   7 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Zalando in September 2016.

Interview

Apply via a HR manager , asked me to send a CV and with in 4 days I got HR interview , they are using Business Skype (MS Lync) for interviews.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter. I don't agree too much with the tool, but each company has it's own filters.I failed the test and wrote them accepting it and saying thanks for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Introduction , technology stack , technology implementation on projects , questions were typical of general interviews , they are looking for latest technologies.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando in January 2017.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter online. The process was quick enough but since it happened around Xmas there was a pause in between.

The process consisted of a phone call discussing my resume and the positions open at Zalando, then a very easy test on Codility, then an HR call and finally 3 technical interviews that happened in the same day and over Hangouts.

The tech interviews were of average difficulty and involved coding on a shared screen and answer a few questions on OOP and Machine Learning.

All the interviewers were very nice and I could tell they are bright people.

Interview Questions

• The coding problems were not particularly difficult (I would say average level on leetcode). Then they asked a few questions about OOP in general and something about ML. Overall average difficulty.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted to me via Linkedin. First interwiev with Recruiter and then Zalando HR. She was very polite and everything fine. Finally they send me an assignment. Later, technical interwiev was average.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Zalando (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in January 2018.

Interview

I got referred by an employee. During the first phone call I was given a "homework" interview problem. I'd call it medium since it wasn't very complicated, but required some work. After I've sent my solution back to recruiter I waited a week to get any reply. Then I forwarded the same e-mail again. The response was as if I just sent it the first time - "we'll forward it to engineers". Two months after the day I've sent my first e-mail I got an update telling me that they want to invite me to onsite interview and that they'd contact me with possible options. It was three months ago. I contacted recruiter recently and told that I'm not interested in position anymore (I hoped to get any response - still nothing). So in total I've spent 5 months of waiting with no results and wasted two evenings while solving the interview problem.

Interview Questions

Zalando Response

29 Jun 2018

While we are happy to hear that you were referred by a current employee for this role, we understand your frustration with the waiting time and not receiving a response. Thank you for sharing this... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.