Zalando Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 Nov 2018

2.8

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruitment agency, the process took 3 weeks.

1. Online test (basic Java, SQL)
2. Onsite technical interview - discussing previous experience, whiteboard coding, logical puzzles. All questions relatively simple. 2 software engineers, nice atmosphere, took about 2 hours
3. Onsite HR interview - 1 hour HR grilling with all the (in)famous "rate yourself from 1 to 10" and then 1 hour chip chat with the manager running IT department.

I did not get an offer and their feedback was that: they are not sure that they could meet my expectations in the long run and they can’t provide me the professional development opportunities I wish for...

BTW. I only told them that my career plan is to become team/technical lead and I asked if they send their employees to conferences ...

I know for a fact that the technical interview went very well ... so be prepared for a tough HR interview. HR chip chat is more important than assessing your skills when picking right people for the software engineer position.

Interview Questions

• 1. Explain Java exceptions types
    2. Whiteboard coding (upcase all the words in string which have length of 3)
    3. Model catalogue of products with NoSQL based solution
    4. Logical puzzles   Answer Question
  • 1. Tell me three things about yourself which are not in your CV
    2. All the good/bad personality related questions + rating yourself
    3. Ideal/worst manager/coworker
    4. Describing whole spectrum of situation in your life/career when someone was dishonest/indirect and whatever that you mentioned earlier
    5. Describing technical/it problem like "talking to your parents"
    6. If we can remember only three things about you after this interview, what should that be?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Zalando

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando in September 2015.

Interview

One of the worst technical interview ever.
    I was talking with an technical architect, he is really creepy guy.

Most of the questions were just stupid like rate your knowledge of technology x from 1 to 10.
    Or why do you want to work in our company - common guys, you have contacted me on linkedin, I don't want to work in you company :)
    We see that are you recently working on new place, why you decide to apply for new position? - Common guys, you saw my profile on linkedin - are you stupid or something?

No interesting questions. It may be - do you know feature x in technology y or some questions about you personality.

Complete waste of my time, I would like coding problems, technology or design questions, but questions from Zalando guys are really below the radar.

Interview Questions

• Rate your knowledge of technology x from 1 to 10
      How many years of experience with technology y do you have?
      Why do you want to work in our company?
      What is the most common class in Java?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in September 2015.

Interview

- applied beginning august 15
    - interview with HR to talk projects in beginning september 15
    - interview with team leader in end september 15
    - technical interview in end september 15

Initial interview was around 1 hour, about motivation, background and projects, as well as the possible questions on the company.

Technical interview was 45 minutes with a company developer and tackled language-related questions and an algorithm problem.

Initial interviews went well, interviewers were very cool and open and I felt motivated to work for them. Technical interview on the other hand was a bit cold and impersonal, had a bad vibe with the interviewer with whom I ended up disagreeing quite strongly.

All-in-all, interview was bad luck as Zalando seem like a decent company to work with, but I was quite displeased with being so easily dismissed on simple stuff while having a PhD and decent experience in development.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zalando in July 2016.

Interview

Applied in company website, contacted in a week,

Skype interview with HR (webcam is optional) for 30 minutes, asked about company details, position applied, technical background, experiences, technology stack, also he gave a brief introduction about company details and the requirements.

Online coding round.

3 hours Skype technical interview

Interview Questions

• About Zalando? Technology stack?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in January 2016.

Interview

One week after applied, I was contacted to schedule an initial Skype discussion. This was done by the recruiter who told me during the interview that they need actually senior engineers. The discussion was ok, typical HR questions. Was contacted 2 days after and did not go further with the process because they were looking for more experienced people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)).

Interview

There are multiple rounds

1. Telephone screening - an hour
    2. Telephone technical interview with coding some simple algorithm - an hour
    3. Onsite interview with three interviewers - takes up a half day

Interview Questions

• Write a method which return how many palindromes are in a word. Eg: barbarabar has 7 (b,a,r,barab,a,r)   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Zalando in December 2017.

Interview

BE CAREFUL of this employer, I bet you don't want to end up like me, here's my experience:

The interview process was pretty standard: started with an online coding test, followed by a non-technical phone screen, then I went to onsite for 3 rounds of technical interviews.

Few days after the interviews they extended me an offer, which I accepted. I turned down other offers and signed the contract. It took a while for my preparations as I would relocate to a different country. However, just several days before my starting date, they told me that they would revoke the contract because they were restructuring and my position was no longer needed. Yes, I quitted my previous job, did the paperwork and packed up my things for moving to a different country, and they informed me of their decision when I was about to leave in few days.

While they had the legal right to do so despite my huge losses, does it reflect in some ways how they treat their employees? Judge for yourself.

Interview Questions

• Online coding tests, you can have the result right after you finish   Answer Question

Zalando Response

14 May 2018 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback about your recruitment experience at Zalando, which we take very seriously. We would like to get in touch with you to clarify... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2016.

Interview

The first serious contact was through a recruitment agency. I didn't get to chat directly with them until the face-to-face.

But I actually applied directly to Zalando months before that. They sent me an unsolicited message on LinkedIn to which I replied with an application, but I didn't hear back from them at that particular time.

5-6 months later, I was approached by the recruitment agency and asked to complete a coding test, which I completed in three different programming languages: Java (my strongest language at the time), Scala and Clojure.

They asked me to complete it only in my strongest language, but I wanted to show my Scala and Clojure skills.

I've let them know about my preference for Clojure, which (I wasn't told) was being decommissioned in favor of Scala. I guess they thought that giving me hope of working with Clojure would help to get me through the door. A pretty dishonest thing to do. Already a bad sign (the first of many).

I completed the coding test and I was told by the recruitment agency that mine "was one of the best submissions Zalando ever received" and they asked me for a face-to-face interview.

The face-to-face consisted of 3 technical interviews with different people followed by a final interview (all in one day, about 30 minutes each).

Overall the people were a bit arrogant (having fancy furniture, bean bags and ping-pong tables around will do this to you, I guess that makes they think they are Google). Discussing the coding test, they already showed, inadvertently, that they don't care so much about the engineering aspects of it (open-closed design, S.O.L.I.D. principles in general, CI/CD, etc). They do care much more about syntax, specifics of frameworks, such as Kafka, and algorithms. After a short conversation, I realized as well that they didn't look at my submission carefully. Most of them probably only executed it to check it for correctness and speed. They only made superficial observations and didn't seem to understand my OOD nor the algorithm I implemented. "Why you didn't use case class?" one of them asked. One dude also asked Kafka questions, even though I made clear beforehand that I didn't know the framework at the time (facepalm). Scripted interview. The second bad sign.

The final face-to-face was awkward. This dude kept staring at me trying to assert dominance. He's shorter than me and physically frail. I'm much stronger and on top of that, I know Jiu-Jitsu. I could kill that guy in less than one minute (literally). I let it pass, though and I was super polite. That was a mistake. The message I sent by being tolerant was "I'm weak and will take your abuse to get this job.". The third bad sign. I ended up paying for this later, as the behavior persisted.

Weak, agreeable people are exactly what they are looking for by the way, thus the intimidation tactics. They started the office in Dublin hiring alphas (which are either in-your-face aggressive or passive-aggressive), now they are only looking for betas and omegas. You will suffer intimidation tactics until you either submit or quit.

Don't let the fancy office and shallow politeness fool you. The reality is harsh on the inside. That was one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever worked for. I witnessed yelling and even chest bumping (literally) between two other dudes because of a silly disagreement. The kind of altercation you see in pubs between drunks, and they were both sober (I assume).

Some can live with that, unfortunately... People in the office are either aggressors or complicit with a "well, that's how it is in most companies, right?..." attitude, so chances of Zalando turning the whole thing around are slim.

They made me an offer (more than I asked for) and I ended up accepting it. On hindsight, I take full responsibility for having suffered hell during the months I worked for them. I saw all these bad signs during the interviewing process and I chose to ignore them.

I have seen some of their latest job ads popping up at Glassdoor and I could do some math based on the job titles: "oh, this dude is gone, oh, and so this dude, oh, and this other dude...". They have an absurd turn-over rate. Just look at the number of job ads at Glassdoor alone. These can't possibly be explained by growth only. Even saying "most are due to growth" would be pushing the envelope way too far.

Think about the kind of people that stick around and the kind of people that leave in this scenario. It only gets worse...

Don't make my mistake. Don't ignore the bad signs. Be brave. Something better will come by. You deserve better (or not, up to you).

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard coding problem   Answer Question
    • Superficial questions on the coding test submission   Answer Question
    • Kafka questions! Even though I was clear that I didn't know Kafka before the interview...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in October 2017.

Interview

First a codility round and then 3 tech interviews and 1 HR interview. All seemed to go good. The worst part came after interview was over. The HR's stopped responding. I mean , seriously, this is how you treat people who come for interview. There should be a basic sense of humility , and some HR's of this company dont even have that. Before interview, my experience was good, but after interview it became ugly. I dont understand one simple question - why do they stop responding after interview is over. Going through other people's experience, it seems a common pattern there. So my advice - go for interview only if you have lots of free time on your hand, otherwise ignore. And Salary will be pretty low also, so dont put expectations on that. And simple rule of job - if salary is low, then your colleagues will also be not upto the mark and overall company culture will be bad

Interview Questions

• Basic Algo questions. 1 DP question and then design questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando (Berlin (Germany)) in March 2017.

Interview

Friendly hiring process. 45 minute technical interview, was of average difficulty, the interviewer was pleasant throughout and asked general technical questions like sorting algorithms and other CV related questions. The interviewer gave me time to think about my answers. This was followed by a multi pronged online coding test in one sitting.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about certain sorting algorithms their implementation and advantages etc   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.