ASOS Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
ASOS CEO Nick Beighton
Nick Beighton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Various staff benefits and bonuses, including weekly sample sales, onsite yoga, discounts" (in 45 reviews)

• "Great benefit systems, as you get 40% discount and the work environment is really great" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Team leaders would go missing for hours on end and therefore my team had no one to help us except the odd team leader you could find" (in 16 reviews)

• "long hours , can be tiring and stressful" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company and always getting better"

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in London, England

I have been working at ASOS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, office and people.
    Opportunities for growth and development
    Great support for health/life balance (e.g. maternity/paternity/flexible working)

Cons

Hard to think of any

Advice to Management

Keep improving and seeing how things can be done better. Keep listening to staff and keeping people happy.

2. "Fantastic Organistion to work for.."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at ASOS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I’ve been a Senior Project Manager with ASOS for just over 2.5 years. I work within the Tech stream and I have to say ASOS without any doubt has been the best company that I have worked for.

- Asos offers fantastic career opportunities.
    - Project collaboration with multiple platforms.
    - Excellent leadership who are there to help and support you in your career.
    - Tech innovation and opportunities for you to develop.
    - Leadership from CIO, Director and Platform Leads are very approachable.
    - A company that will allow you to explore and grow.
    - Fantastic culture and environment to work in.
    - Flex hours
    - Talented workforce
    - Your opinion matters!

Cons

- Due to growth office is split in two locations.

Advice to Management

-Don’t change the ASOS culture, this is the heart and sole of why ASOS as an organisation is so successful.

3. "Organised chaos but in a good way"

Pros

- Great leadership and executive team
    - Really innovative and people are encouraged to try new things
    - Brilliant brand, you really feel like you’re part of something exciting that’s growing fast and also it really is a customer centric organisation
    - Amazing benefits like free gym, 40% discount and amazing Christmas parties

Cons

- Lack of work life balance
    - No clear career path or view on how to get promoted
    - A lot of office politics

"Great Work Environment for Career Development (Retail)"

Current Employee - MAA in London, England
    Current Employee - MAA in London, England

I have been working at ASOS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In Retail there is a great room to grow your knowledge
    If you are luck your team will allow you scope to take on and learn as much as you like
    It's very past paced, and a great e-tailer to learn from.

I cannot stress the learning opportunities enough. Learn what you can then leave and come back to claim a higher salary
    Great office, office perks and company perks
    Charity Day, Office Canteen (often like school lunches though), Office Gym and shower facilities w/towel service

Cons

Retail pay is atrocious, not competitive at all to my knowledge. Many people leave ASOS, go to Arcadia and come back on a higher pay grade and job title.
    Office politics exist everywhere so that's negligible
    Many levels to Promotions. Each JD is tiered:
    Entry
    Lvl 1/Established
    Senior
    To move up you must be assessed and or signed off. This happens every 6-12months in March & September. If you start in Feb, or Aug you have limited time to learn the role then prove your worth. So will need to work very hard to step up 2 roles.
    Doing your job is not enough to be levelled up. You must be doing the role above to be signed off. You have no opp to show you can you must be already doing it.
    Workload can be great.

Advice to Management

Offer a more competitive salary! Otherwise continue to expect to see people leave and return.
    Diversify EXEC! One Woman?! White woman at that. No POC's. I've not met a Head Of that is a POC. Very odd indeed in a multicultural city such as London. I may be wrong but disappointing if right.

Thanks for the Gym!

ASOS Response

15 Nov 2018 – ASOS

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us, we really appreciate it. We’re so pleased to hear you enjoy the pace of work here at ASOS, as well as the wide range of learning and development... More

5. "good company"

I have been working at ASOS full-time

Pros

great discount, great staff parties, some departments have great social aspects

Cons

not much opportunity for advancement within certain departments

"Good & Bad"

I have been working at ASOS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good spirit. Very friendly, young environment. Amazing perks such as 40% off everything from the website, free fruit & hot drinks, great offices, music, weekly 121s with your manager.

Cons

Becoming bigger and more corporate every week. Very hard to progress (to move higher up in the company). No established progression/promotion system. People manage to get better paid roles out of pure luck. The selection process is very random.

Also, it's becoming a very dogmatic environment, with strong rules and less space for creativity and experimentation/entrepeneurship.

Advice to Management

Please develop your people. People should get the chance to go to a higher level after 1-2 years in the company. It should be an achievable thing.

Allow more freedom for people to suggest ideas and actually carry them out. Allow people to work in their best way, not the way you dictate.

7. "ASOS"

Current Employee - Customer Care Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Care Advisor

I have been working at ASOS (More than a year)

Pros

Nice and friendly people in the team

Cons

lack of motivation, boring job

8. "unhappy environment with poor leadership and terrible HR"

Current Employee - Technology in London, England
    Current Employee - Technology in London, England

I have been working at ASOS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

gym, parties, social, good bens

Cons

where to start
    middle management is ridiculous, we have suddenly got more 'heads of' in our department than there are desks, they just keep adding more layers at the top and only promote below if you are mates with your manager. the managers regularly demonstrate extreme incompetence at the most basic employee related queries, constantly trying to get HR involved, who don't know how to handle the situation themselves. the HR team protects middle management only and will quiz and cross interrogate you like you're the one in the wrong if you go to them with a grievance. I have never seen such an immature and incompetent team of managers and HR. very unhappy environment. after my meeting with HR I noticed the person I spoke with gossiping to another team member about what I had just confidentially disclosed to them. truly shocked.

Advice to Management

teach your HR teams to act like the confidential service they should be rather than gossiping and protecting the managers while make the employee who is struggling feel bad for speaking up in the first place

"Boring, draining and horrible atmosphere"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leavesden Green, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leavesden Green, England

I worked at ASOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount. Nice canteen. Building is OK.

Cons

Where do I start? HORRIBLE atmosphere. An undercurrent of fear runs through the place. You're made to feel bad if you go to lunch one minute early / late. Everything is done using stupid "process maps" which are confusing and pointless. The company is extremely hierarchical. There is a strong culture of faces fitting and woe betide you if you show any kind of independence of thought. The shift work sucks the very soul of your being, turning your life into a zombie-like existence where you are too tired to do anything but cannot sleep. If you're about 19 and covered in tattoos, extremely loud and brash, you might do OK here. If not, forget it. The managers are incompetent and haven't got a clue what they're dealing with. They will falsify stats to get you out if your face doesn't fit.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I could say that would improve you. I'll leave you to it!

"My probational period was terminated due to fabricated reasons from a Team Leader"

Former Employee - Customer Care Advisor in Leavesden Green, England
    Former Employee - Customer Care Advisor in Leavesden Green, England

I worked at ASOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is fun, the customer service responses are easily guided with process maps and templates to make the job easy and helps support adviser independence and development.

Cons

My employment was terminated due to a few reasons, some for not following process when I was only just taught it and one of which was a fabricated reason from a leader. It was that my behavior did not suit the requirements of the role customer care advisor and that it is not acceptable to say things like 'Thanks Mate' or 'cheers bro' to the Team Leader. There was no statements taken from either side or any investigation concluded, it was just taken as fact that I must've said it. Even though I did not know this until I was in the meeting my employment was being terminated in.

All I can say is, if they don't like you personally then they will do whatever they need to, to get rid of you. Even if that means making things up likemy leader did. They also have a negative snappy attitude towards workers but this is more due to the type of Leaders that were training my group at the time, the others seemed fine.

On the plus side the termination went smoothly and respectively.

Advice to Management

The company is so big, that you need to understand how to diminish the developments of fabrications and manipulations in the leader role before it gets out of hand and your company is ran from actions based from opinions. This is how corruption is started.