Assurant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Alan Colberg

1,327 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility with work from home policy (although seems inconsistent by team)" (in 87 reviews)

• "Schedule/Atmosphere/Activities/Work-life Balance/Location/Clean Facility/Charity Work/Sports/Cafeteria on Site" (in 51 reviews)

1. "amazing employer"

I worked at Assurant part-time

Pros

The people I worked with were just the best. We had clear accountability and freedom to do our jobs at the same time. A lot of trust. And a lot of support to achieve in the best conditions, develop our roles and our skills.

Cons

the commute was tough but that's life.

2. "Ok I suppose"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Crewe, England

I have been working at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits and training is very good and it's all about what team you are in and what manager you have.

Cons

Some managers in the banking campaigns hate taking complaints! Always push you back makes the customer even more angry. Managers are never to be found on the floor always in the break out rooms which are really for the agents as we get the brunt! Hours are pretty rubbish, and can be a very catty place to work.

Advice to Management

Managers need to take the complaints can't keep pushing the agents back.

3. "Good starting point"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Crewe, England

I have been working at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good incentives, holiday, good career progression

Cons

no onsite parking, working hours

Advice to Management

none

"Strict back to school / prison approach to employment with very little compassion or sensitivity"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Crewe, England
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Crewe, England

I worked at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a job & you get paid, Canteen is OK.

Cons

Training is a joke. What is expected is laughable. The company needs to look at moral, compassion & sensitivity when it comes to personal issues. Lose the strict back to school / prison approach & have more faith in your employees, you then may get a better work rate, lifting moral & dropping the exceedingly high staff turn over. Parking is atrocious.

Advice to Management

In the almost 3 weeks I worked for this company I learnt a lot, I wasn’t a job hopper as Id been with my previous 2 companies for a combined 21 years. I instantly knew the company wasn’t for me which was confirmed more each day I worked there.

The training in my opinion is too short and not formatted correctly but started off friendly enough, their object being to cram as much info and knowledge (and there is a lot) into your head as quickly as possible with regards to systems, scripts, checks and procedures. This was to the point of mind numbing brain bloat. But as the training proceeded the whole experience felt more and more processed almost to the point of you ending up feeling some what like a robot. It also started to feel much more strict as training proceeded, they then expect you to take all the relayed info they have crammed into every nook and cranny of your brain and make sense of it, going live after two weeks. They obviously warn you not to make certain mistakes due to security, consequences it will have on yourself and call failure, no pressure then!

I have heard that down stairs is much more comfortable / relaxed and you feel much more supported. Upstairs is the killer, it seems to be run by yes sir, no sir managers whom treat you like a machine with a number on your head just to achieve targets for their ego's. When I was taken upstairs to listen in and drive systems, some would allow you to drive and some just snub you, giving you very little experience. It has a very cold atmosphere making moral feel very neutral to say the least and is just a generally unpleasant working environmental feeling overall.

All the staff I came into contact with came across as a little snotty from the training coordinator to senior managers. Being 100% honest and fair there were only a few I met whom came across as completely genuine. There is little to no compassion when it comes to personal issues with sensitivity being practically non existent, whether its to do with home life or family and what little sympathy you do get feels very false indeed its almost transparent. In fact some of the managers upstairs almost encourage you to leave if they feel you are not what the company is looking for.

There are individuals whom have worked here for years, these people need a medal and I feel so sorry for them working in this kind of back to school / prison kind of environment because that is exactly how it feels, but I know for sure quite amazingly some actually enjoy it.

My advice - If you are mid 30's or older and have had no previous call centre experience – stay clear as you will hate the whole regime and culture of this company.

Parking: If you have a car don't bother, take public transport or walk as Parking is for the big wigs & not for the sweatshop runts.

5. "Could be much worse"

I have been working at Assurant full-time

Pros

Great people, facilities are ever improving, employee benefits

Cons

Customers forget they are talking to a person and think they deserve everything on a platter

Advice to Management

Keep up with constant coaching and support, this is the best way to ensure staff remain happy

6. "Lack of respect"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Crewe, England

I have been working at Assurant full-time

Pros

Unknown, no data collected on that aspect although the projects sounded good.

Cons

What does one say about a company that interviews someone, in which discussions went very well, then thereafter does not respond back, despite a prompt?

Advice to Management

Its obvious.

7. "Nice Place to work"

I have been working at Assurant full-time

Pros

- regular hours
    -good work/life balance
    -friendly people
    -lots of different things to do

Cons

-can be hard to move on
    -Systems and programs need updating

Advice to Management

Update IT system, more transparent advancement process

8. "Multi skilled agent"

Current Employee - Muti Skilled Claims Handler in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Muti Skilled Claims Handler in Crewe, England

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to where I live

Cons

Pay is utter awful and Verny little help from managers. High paid other vacancies are taken by mates of the managers so no progression .
    Some managers have there own lapdog who sit and do little and waste company money and awful fundays.
    Hours are bad ,weekend work gets worse as you spend longer in the job! Avoid !!!!

Advice to Management

Stop giving your fav mates at work time off the phones while agents get hammered on the claims and do your job by taking escos as that’s what your paid for!
    It’s like being at a playground for kids.

9. "Poor support, expected to work long hours"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Crewe, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Crewe, England

I worked at Assurant part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices and canteen is OK

Cons

Expectation that staff will work overtime at short notice and not well rewarded. Lack of career progression

Advice to Management

Improve communication across all levels

10. "Soul Destroying"

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Crewe, England
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Crewe, England

I worked at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people that work there are nice

Cons

Terrible hours

Peanuts pay

They want you to be multitasked for no extra pay

Awful management - like children

A lot of brown-nosing by employees

Not long enough breaks/lunch for how stressful the job can get

Advice to Management

Get off your high horses and start MANAGING, treating your employees better and going out for 'meetings' that involve alcohol whilst practically everyone is left to work get nothing - should not happen.

Also, GROW UP