Depop Reviews

Updated 5 Jun 2020

4.2
Depop CEO Maria Raga
Maria Raga

"Great company to work at"

Current Employee - Senior Android Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Depop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented colleagues to work with. The app and the company are still growing so you will have a lot of chances to develop many user-facing features.

Cons

Don't have a lot of perks but it's totally understandable because it is not a profitable company yet.

"Agile delivery function needs some work"

Former Employee - Agile Delivery Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Depop full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The app is really engaging and has enabled entrepreneurship - The teams are cross functional and there is excellent collaboration between design and dev - Great co-workers who care about the work they do

Cons

- At times it feels like Depop has become a feature factory - lots of focus on dates, shipping features rather than value, trust, and moving the needle - I was deeply disappointed with the agile leadership function - inexperienced leaders and more of a traditional PM function being set up - Some biased hiring decisions which are not inclusive - I would like to have seen a fairer process for hiring senior leadership

"Mixed Experience"

2.0
    Former Employee - Support in London, England

I worked at Depop full-time

Pros

If senior management had the will to address the issues around bullying and mismanagement, it would be a great place to work, and most of the people are absolutely great. It's just a shame that a few ruin that.

Cons

Management seems ill-equipped to handle any personal situations that are not considered normal, and anyone in this position is met with hostility and a complete lack of empathy. Almost everyone seems to have their own experience, but I encountered this with the manager of Support, and ultimately I felt like there was no choice but to leave.

"Becoming more and more corporate"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Depop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented and friendly engineers. Opportunity to work with a very high volume of traffic. Great focus on infrastructure improvements. Free tea, coffee and fruit. Dogs are allowed in the office.

Cons

The promotion of leaders who haven't achieved anything sends a bad message to everyone else. Huge teams, many layers in management, top-down processes, decisions made behind closed doors, more focus on frameworks/tools than people result in a more bureaucratic.

"A Company that Cares"

I have been working at Depop full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can honestly say that Depop is one of the nicest places I have worked. The people here are all bought into the mission, and the management is completely open to new ideas, ways of working and thought processes. There is not a huge amount of hierarchy, and someone like the CTO/CEO/COO will be open to discussing anything that affects the people of the company. They hold open Q&A sessions where people can raise questions or concerns, and they will answer them and then will look to make fixes for any issues raised. This is such an open way of working and shows how much the company cares for its employees. You can feel it in the office as well, everyone is collaborative and will try and help, rather than any sort of blame or behind-your-back talking. My boss is amazing and cares about me as a person, way more than I could ever say about my other employers.

Cons

Its a fast growing company, and with this comes a fair amount of ambiguity/process changes as it grows. It's not necessarily a con, but not everyone would thrive in a scale up environment.

"Amazing company, growing every day"

Current Employee - Android Developer

I have been working at Depop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything you could expected from a nice company, learning a lot

Cons

Becoming a serious big business

"Love working at Depop"

I have been working at Depop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really inspiring to work for a company doing genuinely great things and growing so quickly. The London office is a great working space with an amazing office team who are always thinking of ways to surprise us (and there are dogs !) A real feeling as an employee that you are cared for.

Cons

The cute dogs are distracting... ? Can't really think of any !

8. "A truly great place to work"

Current Employee - Scala Developer

I have been working at Depop full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a software engineer, Depop is a fast paced, young and vibrant place to work which provides a unique environment for growth and learning. Management - Are open to using new technologies - Encourages time for learning and research - Gives support for career progression There is a great amount of freedom given to the developers and their ideas are valued regardless of level of seniority. Everyone gets the opportunity to - Own projects and lines of work - Design architectures - Decide testing strategies - Influence the business There are great benefits too! - Lots of snacks - Drinks on Fridays - Free breakfast on Tuesdays - Working from home I consider myself very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to work here.

Cons

With so many great ideas of things that should be added to the app, sometimes there aren't enough people to implement them all, which is a shame.

April 24, 2019People Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, it's so great to hear how much you love working here and the opportunities to learn & grow along the way.

9. "A company that lets you be all you can be"

Current Employee - Software Manager in London, England

I have been working at Depop full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture from top to bottom - Rare for companies, they do actually care about your mental and physical health - Great benefits and lovely London office - Accommodating to your needs and circumstances (flexible working, wfh) - Fantastic market position, growth and future potential - Excellent Engineering culture which allows Engineers to grow and adapt - You will be challenged and encouraged to innovate. - The CTO is mission orientated and takes a personal interest in everyone. He doesn't settle for mediocrity -- this is a huge benefit when you depend on your coworkers and care about being the best you can. He has challenged me to address self imposed boundaries, and has a level of insight which you might usually find in the best sports coaches. Sometimes addressing your own limitations is painful, but no other job I've had has given me this level of fulfilment and reward for personal development.

Cons

- As a growing startup, things change often which can be a little jarring - While scaling, things can sometimes get a little messy for a while

June 10, 2019People Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review - culture is something very close to our hearts and focussing on employees' physical and mental health is very much tied in with that. We recently finished another successful 'Wellbeing Month' filled with various events and workshops and are really excited to continue rolling out our long-term initiatives that focus on wellbeing and mental health. We are glad to hear you are enjoying the flexibility offered and that you appreciate the challenges and innovations that are part and parcel of your role here. We are constantly improving and evolving and that's only possible with input from you and other team members so thanks for being an integral part of that.

"One of the best working experiences"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Depop full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unusually talented engineers driven by curiosity and not by arrogance. - Competitive environment, ideal for growing your skills - Opportunity to work with a very high volume of traffic, users and data - Data-driven mentality. Lots of AB testing, experiments and measurements. - Lots of benefits: birthday gifts, working from home, paid learning, free breakfasts, free drinks, and much more What really made a difference for me at Depop was the outstanding work of the CTO, Massimo. A true, inspiring leader with deep and broad knowledge of technologies, architectural patterns, business processes but most of all, people. I have rarely worked with anyone who put so much trust in his team and keep investing in their growth, as individuals and as a collective. His passion for me was contagious and I am truly fortunate to have worked with him for a period of time in which I have learnt so much.

Cons

- being a startup, Depop requires very rapid adjustments and changes (projects, teams, processes). This can sometimes result in disruptions in terms of delivery efficiency.

June 10, 2019People Team

A big thanks for your kind words, We are thrilled to hear your time with us was a happy one that challenged and inspired you both as part of a team and as an individual. We will continue to listen to ideas and feedback as everyone's input is vital to continuing our evolution and growth. Thank you for being a part of the journey and we wish you all the luck in your next adventure.

Found 44 reviews