EE Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

EE CEO Marc Allera
Marc Allera

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Absolute rubbish work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Doesnt matter if a customer sends an email to your manager thanking you for good customer service managers not bothered (in 17 reviews)

1. "Pretty good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Advisor in Gloucester, England
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Advisor in Gloucester, England

I have been working at EE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am only 18 and compared to other people may age working in super markets this job is 100x better. Clear and easy paths of ladder progression, great support systems, loads of positive energy and active team work, great management and strong , structural leadership within the company all the way up the board.

Cons

Targets can be pressuring in smaller store and support isn't always super understanding or progressive. Sometimes feels like your are battling with people in the company who are higher up to make them understand what it is like on the ground floor. For example are prices in store aren't very competitive and can be frustrating to try and vent that.

Advice to Management

Strong store management generally along with regional support systems. Although HR, etc feel disconnected at times.

2. "EE"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at EE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company with great people, nice culture.

Cons

It is getting more and more part of the BT empire and starting to lose some of the identity that makes it such a fun and unique place to work

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Great place to work"

Pros

The people who work here are mostly brilliant and make your work life easy.

Cons

The politics between higher management for power and entitlement of the call centre is exhausting.

5. "A mixed bag"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Bristol, England

I have been working at EE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cheap broadband, interesting work to a certain extent, colleagues are very good.

Cons

The merger with t-mobile and then the takeover by BT has left a sour taste to say the least. It's obvious we have become part of a huge company and are now less at the forefront, less involved in the truly interesting work, as BT seek to put their guys in the key roles. I was heavily involved in 4g, whereas the first I heard about a successful 5g POC was in the press. Very poor indeed.

Advice to Management

Try looking after your minions, if you dare. Stop making excuses and represent the views of your direct reports.

6. "Good things come to those who wait and have an enormous amount of luck"

I worked at EE full-time

Pros

Fantastic salary, everyone is of a similar personality or drive so it's a great environment, the company seems to treat its employees well with quite a few perks too.

Cons

No real negatives to report!

7. "EE Employment"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Bristol, England

I have been working at EE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good career support and overall a good company to work for with an equally good culture.

Cons

Salary is ok. Could be more on the competitive side.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "Not bad employer at all"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Greenock, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Greenock, Scotland

I have been working at EE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management
    Good earning potential
    Excellent culture at work

Cons

Upper management not great at communicating

Advice to Management

Be more transparent at the upper levels with regards to your plans for the company, rather than baiting and switching on bonus schemes etc

9. "Customer Advisor"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Derby, England
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Derby, England

I worked at EE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay. Good team. Met some awesome customers. Overtime always available.

Cons

Untrained staff. Untrained managers. Booked you in on days you said you can not work. Forced to make sales.

Advice to Management

Train better and stop being so bipolar.

"If you have genuine compassion, morals or humanity this is not the company for you"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at EE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable basic salaries for managers
    Good employee and F&F discounts
    Some good people in the business
    The best mobile network, from a customer perspective - I wouldn’t use another
    Yearly awards and events for teams
    Good selection of products
    Good partnership with major manufacturers like Apple
    Competitively priced HBB packages and good customer service support with this

Cons

*Exceptionally cliquey at regional level
    *Favouritism
    *Treated differently and mocked for being weak if you’re not aggressive - Managers proudly sharing stories of making people cry
    *Culture of sexism, racism and discrimination noted at store level when I joined, this appeared to be the norm.
    *Jobs for the Lads - women treated differently and decisions made dependant on who’s friends with the right people
    *Store Managers and assistant managers contracts state that they are not entitled to overtime or even time in Lieu for any extra hours worked which happens often and is expected
    *Completely unrealistic targets and commission structure created to reward just a few
    *All training is around managing performance, not developing people and encouraging them
    *Hide behind the EE Way which doesn’t play any part in the real service techniques used at store level
    *Takes an old fashioned aggressive sales approach driven by regional and some store management. Customer service is secondary
    *Uses archaic management style of pointing the finger and making heads role when things go wrong. When sales are bad, managers manage someone out to save themselves. If like me you refused to take this approach and scapegoat others the pressure on you was unbearable
    *Encouraged by those in regional leadership roles to fill in needs sheet solutions on a need to know basis - really it felt like Mis-selling to me but they’re clever enough to fill in enough detail to get away with this
    *It’s all about making money for BT
    *Appalling attitude and treatment of those with Mental Health issues. Was told by a member of HR during a management training that we should not pay someone who goes off sick while being investigated, even if this investigation is about their performance being affected by their mental health and the investigation itself is causing more stress. This was in a training session with 22 plus people present and when I challenged by saying that’s punishing someone before they’ve even been invited to a disciplinary hearing, the HR representative told me coldly ‘We don’t need to pay anyone for sick if we don’t want to, it’s a benefit we don’t have to’

I could go on and on and share more about my personal experience and the things I witnessed but I’ll leave it at this - overall I can’t express enough how shocked I was by my experience in EE. It felt like working back in the 80’s or 90’s. A truly horrible experience which impacted my health hugely. Despite having no job to go to the sense of relief I had when I gave my notice was like no other and unsurprisingly I wasn’t the only manager in the region that day......In fact it was quickly followed by the notice of senior management too which speaks volumes.

Advice to Management

Review HR policies
    Big change needed in team attitudes and focus on customer service
    Move away from aggressive sales approach and targets - it leads to lying and Mis-selling due to the pressure you put people under
    Review your regional leadership and store leadership teams thoroughly, I think you’d be shocked to know what really goes on

"An HONEST in-depth review!"

Former Employee - Started At SCA Finished At SM in London, England
    Former Employee - Started At SCA Finished At SM in London, England

I worked at EE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Staff are brilliant and tend to enjoy the work environment MOST of the time.
    Recent pay rise FINALLY means you're getting paid what you would to stack shelves at Tesco.
    Incentives & prizes are very very good I've won Phones, Smart Home Speaker, £400 of Amazon Vouchers and £200 of Argos.
    Company phone plan is Amazing 75% staff discount on a handset meant I could get 100gb of data on an iPhone X with an annual upgrade and a series 3 Apple Watch for under £40pm!
    Progression & development is a Pro & Con (you'll see why..)
    The above is a pro however your progression is very much down to you and you have to push for it! It's also very VERY BIAS.
    Company car hire for business trips.
    Roadshows always good fun.
    5 friends & family discounts of 30% off monthly every year!

Cons

Targets HIGHLY unrealistic (unless you work in one of VERY few high performaning stores then you're likely never going to hit Gold or Platinum banding on commission. (Silver & Bronze hardly worth it unless you're a store manager and even then pathetic!)
    They also recently changed the commission structure making it harder for you to achieve and even worse that you have to rely on everyone elses performances if the store doesn't hit you're not getting paid!
    They will string you along with promises of development and progression to retain their best staff despite RARELY being able to fulfill the empty promises.
    Theres an awful amount of pressure surrounding daily performance if you haven't hit a specific target by 5pm they throw you into a "focus" group lol more like pressure group!
    They don't appreciate over time or extra hours. I worked at 5 stores in just under 3 years all are the same. All high pressure, all ungrateful.
    Can be very cliquey
    They take an awful long time to get expenses.
    Refuse holiday if it's not ideal.
    Do not care about Christmas the decor is down on Christmas eve and you're back in selling tablets on boxing day because that's more important than spending time with your family at christmas
    Pos changes!!! OMG every week like the pos team at head office have nothing better to do. Literally..
    Company only cares about new connections even more than profit loool.

Advice to Management

The old commission structure is much fairer but you won't take any notice of that.. So STOP focusing ONLY on acquisition all your care about is New and Broadband yet we are targeted on 4 metrics!!
    Stop all the uneccasary pos changes. Free up managers time rather than having them fill out ridiculous amounts of administration taking them away from the shop floor and then pressuring them for performance at end of the day.