EMIS Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
EMIS Group Chief Executive Officer Andy Thorburn
Andy Thorburn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Another thing to note is that the work/life balance at EMIS is great" (in 14 reviews)

• "Good to know you are working on projects that make a difference to the NHS and patients" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are so detached it's unbelievable" (in 17 reviews)

• "Career progression is non existent" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging, rewarding, great life balance and lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England

I have been working at EMIS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible working is the norm and cultural, lots of work life balance and some roles are working from home.
    - Working with healthcare IT gives a sense of achievement that you are working on something really important.
    - The Executive Team Member I work for is extremely caring and offers regular face time and coaching
    - Lots of opportunity for progression
    - Great people to work with! Real sense of team spirit.

Cons

Not all roles are advertised for applications and needs more females in senior positions.

Advice to Management

Once the strategy is announced ensure you organise yourselves operationally. Ensure the womens network does not become the only forum that women can network in.

29 Oct 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you very much for taking time to add a review to Glassdoor. I'm very glad you see EMIS as a supportive employer of flexible working. We know that in parts of our business this works well and in... More

"Great Company to Work For, If you can get used to it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at EMIS Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my experience there are two types of people at EMIS. There are those that join the business for the first time, and find it doesn't really work like most other places they have worked. They don't like it, and don't last long.

But for every one of those people, there are plenty more who approach EMIS with an open mind, and stick at it. Those people usually find themselves staying here for ever. Plenty have left seeking pastures new, only to find the grass isn't always greener on the other side and come back.

There is a great culture of people being promoted from within. Many of the technical specialists within the business started life out as 1st line support analysts, and worked through the ranks to become developers, testers, DBAs or Solutions Architects. Equally, there are quite a lot of middle management posts where the job is being done by somebody who worked their way from the ground up. Rarely are team leaders or managers recruited externally.

There has been a big shift recently to try and right some of the wrongs that have happened in the past. Communication from the top is as clear as it can be, and the business really seems to have a new energy behind it as everybody gets behind the new technology that is coming.

Cons

Because a lot of the business is NHS contracts, this means that the amount of profit EMIS can make is limited. This in turn means that wages won't be big when compared with other sectors like Finance, Telecommunications and Online Services. Those companies can make large profits without government oversight so can and do pay more for the same roles that EMIS offer.

If you're the sort to constantly move job always seeking the best remuneration package, EMIS probably isn't for you.

4 Mar 2019 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I thought your comments were very perceptive and in many ways they explain the quite different reactions people can have as employees at EMIS. One... More

"Improving"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist

I have been working at EMIS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team spirit with colleagues.

Cons

Salary not quite in line with market despite management say-so.
    Management does not listen to staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, they're the ones with boots on the ground. Take heed.

"Great ideas but let down by the culture. A dangerous situation for what should be a great company."

I worked at EMIS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is at the frontier of Medical IT and you get the sense that people really care about the mission, longer healthier lives for everyone.

Cons

Horrendously political and let down by poor Service Management functions that roll over for the customer at every turn. Yes is always the first answer, no matter how ludicrous the request and with no heed to the hugely complicated contracts that we seem to have to honour while our customers don't. It feels unfair to single out a department here but the pressure they're putting on the other departments who have to fulfil their unrealistic promises and deadlines is ever mounting. There are some good people in this department who are probably just in the wrong role.

The other issue here which is more generalised is the lack of compassion or care for an overworked staff. If you're working on the phones or working in accounts or maybe just performing an admin role, do not expect to be appreciated or rewarded financially. Very small and underwhelming benefits package as well. Free eye tests and buying and selling of holidays is good but pretty standard for an IT company. There's nothing to help EMIS stand out from the crowd.

The final point I want to make is the deep hypocrisy when it comes to mental health awareness in EMIS. Yes they like to shout about how much they dedicate to Mind which is genuinely lovely but it feels cold and empty when the staff are trying to make ends meet on a salary well below the market average in nearly every area. Everyone's overworked due to aforementioned issues with customer management and stress is commonplace. Everyone seems to drink to cope with the stress and no one goes home happy. This has led to what I would happily describe as a burgeoning mental health crisis at EMIS. Stress and depression is commonplace and largely undetected. It's frankly disgusting how normalised it is. It's taken stepping away and taking stock to see it clearly. Hopefully the company can do the same.

Advice to Management

Act soon as you are in a watershed moment. Value your staff and get your customer management under control. The first step I would recommend is a mental health survey across the departments followed up with genuine change. Please don't fail your staff anymore than you already have.

13 Mar 2019 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking time to add your review. You make some very interesting points and whilst I cant agree with all that you say ( and I will explain why in a moment) you have some very important... More

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Technical Author in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Technical Author in Bolton, England

I have been working at EMIS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company seems like a very good company to work for and the people are really friendly. There are lots of opportunities within the company and it's nice to find a company that genuinely cares about its staff rather than just giving lip service to it. The location is wonderful (for me) and I enjoy working for them. I like the fact the CEO regularly communicates with all employees, is approachable and visits regional offices.

Cons

At the moment, I cannot think of any cons about working for the company. I have everything I need to do my job and I enjoy what I do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, focusing on the employees as it really does work. The flexibility of the role makes it easy to have a good work/life balance without the stress that often occurs in jobs. The key, in my opinion, is to keep communicating and letting people know where the company is going while making all employees feel like they are a part of the business.

19 Feb 2019 – Group HR Director

Thank you very much for your review. Welcome aboard the EMIS train! That analogy will start hopefully not have passed you by..
    I'm glad the effort that we are making with employee engagement is... More

"Not for career progression"

Pros

If you own the company, are a top manager or major shareholder, it's a great place.

Cons

If you're a hard worker and cost the company money, don't expect to stay long. Another round of redundancies stripping resources, leaving various teams in a consultation process - because there's a risk people have forgotten the mass redundancies of 2017 so let's do it again. Under the title of making savings, instead it leaves the workforce feeling very undervalued and gives no confidence to those who have worked tirelessly for EMIS Health delivering customer facing services such as training and network consultancy.

Advice to Management

After announcing the inclusion of EMIS in the Scotland framework and the hiring of a new MD and other staff, suddenly the company has to make savings and is making people redundant. And you wonder why nobody wants to come and work for the company, especially developers - two reasons, you don't pay decent rates and you don't value anyone as much as you do the shareholders and dividends.

25 Feb 2019 – Group HR Director

Thank you for your review. I assume that you are not one of the employees potentially impacted by potential redundancies otherwise you would have received a briefing explaining why we need to make a... More

"Exciting Transformation"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at EMIS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

EMIS has improved immensely over the last 12 months. While change takes time, the new CEO and CTO are steadily transforming the place. EMIS X is a brilliant technology vision with a sound commercial strategy. The execution fog is clearing, with module teams spinning up and creating palpable excitement. Coming to work is really fun again, great job Pete and Jon!

Cons

Still stuck like sardines in cramped, sometimes noisy, office space - the promised shiny new offices have not materialised, and while some senior folks have nice new kit, the rest of us seem stuck with aging hardware.

Advice to Management

Keep it up Andy and Pete, you have the respect and support of the vast majority of employees. Get rid of the last few naysayers (see a couple of recent posts here on Glassdoor). If they ain't with the rest of us, they will hold us back.

12 Feb 2019 – Group HR Director

Thank you very much for your review. It is really fantastic to see such positive thoughts about the transformation so far, especially as so much still to come! Particularly pleasing to see that... More

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at EMIS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the staff are nice people

Cons

Constant restructuring and claim to be moving with the times but nobody seems to be able to get into a good steady rhythm before its being changed again.
    They have a lack of care and support towards their staff regardless of the ever continuous emails/posters to support mental health and work/Life balance.
    They do not communicate well and do not share information.
    They are certainly not hesitant to make redundancies regardless of how this will affect the running of the business and its staff.
    Salaries and Pay rises do not reflect your efforts or work.
    It's all about numbers!

Advice to Management

Better communication.
    You have a duty of care to your employees - ensure this is adhered to.
    Appreciate your staff
    Stop lying!

"Impressive leadership, improving communication across the Group, good opportunities and nice people"

Former Employee - Accountant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Accountant in Leeds, England

I worked at EMIS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Improving communication
    - Mostly impressive, friendly people at the top of hierarchy who are open to fresh, new ideas
    - Nice people across the Group
    - Flexible working
    - Good opportunities if you know what you want to achieve

Cons

- Still some way to go on the communication; improvements made in Group-Wide communication, but often lacking between certain departments
    - Decisions, in particular around remuneration, are fair and appear to be in line with market rates, but seem to take a long time to be made

Advice to Management

Keep persevering with informing the business of what is going on, at board level and in the external markets; it really helps to keep people engaged

21 Jan 2019 – Group HR Director

Thank you very much for taking time to add your review. I share your frustration that we are on the right tracks ( particularly on reward) but it sometimes takes too long. Also, very helpful to have... More

10. "Nice place"

I worked at EMIS Group full-time

Pros

Good team
    Safe product
    Good work ethic

Cons

Sometimes difficult to juggle workload generally ok

Advice to Management

N/a

21 Jan 2019 – Group HR Director

Hi, thank you for adding your review and I'm glad that, on the whole, you have enjoyed your time at EMIS. As you know, we pride ourselves on clinical safety so I am pleased you have called that out... More