Findmypast Reviews

Found 83 of over 88 reviews

4.4
Findmypast CEO Tamsin Todd
Tamsin Todd
Pros
  • "Friendly and welcoming environment with good work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Great place, great people, great office(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Currently an underdog in the online genealogy industry(in 6 reviews)

• "I would say that at team level we are perhaps too diplomatic and that we need people to take ownership or take a decision making role(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

214 Comments

Tech

81.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Findmypast~964358
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

A difference making company

Nov 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A place where you can make a genuine difference to a customers life. The company is a fantastic blend of history/genealogy experts and engineers working on cutting edge tech. On the whole people are really nice and the company looks after employees really well.

Cons

A little held back by the need to hire more engineers. But this can only be a good thing as it indicates the number of ideas and projects the company has up its sleeve.

Findmypast Response

Thank you for your review and advice for the company. I’m thrilled that you see the impact our tech and products have in customers’ lives; for me that is one of the really rewarding aspects of our work. We have made positive steps on cross-functional working, and I agree that there is more to do, and that embracing feedback and different perspectives from colleagues makes us a better company. --Tamsin

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Ambitious company that puts its people at the heart of its success

Nov 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company that understands you are only as good as the people you hire. Therefore they are constantly striving to create a positive work culture that recognises people are not robots, but have families and lives outside of work and therefore we need to embrace that and allow for hybrid flexible working. But that does not come at the cost of high standards. We take a lot of care and pride in all aspects of our work and enjoy the challenge of taking on bigger competitors in the market.

Cons

We are ambitious but we don't yet have the team sizes in engineering and product to deliver on our plans. This will hold us up if we don't manage to remedy this. But, big steps are being taken to speed up hiring which bodes well for the future.

Findmypast Response

Huge thanks for being part of Findmypast’s transformation journey over the past few years. It’s great to hear that our work environment strikes a balance where people can both be themselves and do challenging work together. As you have noted, growing our engineering and product teams is a key part of our ambitious plans, and it's important to me that as the company grows, we retain our positive work culture. – Tamsin

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting company filled with inspiring talent

Oct 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company on an exciting mission with a warm, diverse culture that makes you feel you can bring your whole self to work. Company objectives are clear and collaborated upon across departments. Work-from-home policy is flexible, though the new office is very appealing and my colleagues are coming back in.

Cons

We are not the biggest player in the market and the competitive landscape can feel intimidating, though we're confident in our product and ready to rise to the challenge.

Findmypast Response

Thank you for taking the time to post the review. Culture, Diversity and figuring out the right balance for Hybrid working are very important to us. We have made progress however still work to do on the journey! Thanks again.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent place to learn and grow

Sep 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly community Interesting field Great work-life balanace

Cons

Nothing that was a major concern.

Head of People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your 5 star rating. I am really pleased that you are enjoying your time at Findmypast.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

A Perfect Place to work and develop in any role!

Sep 26, 2021 - Office & Facilities Manager in Shoreditch, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

New modern offices located in Farringdon a historic area on the outer edge of the City of London. Strong hands on leadership team who do genuinely care about the company's progress and staff development and are always ready to listen to new colleague ideas. A grown up approach to working - opportunity is available to take ownership of work carried out individually or in Teams. All staff are encouraged to voice their opinions via surveys and participate in helping change company processes for the better. I have worked at Find My Past for the past 10 years 10 months and it has been an immense pleasure and honour to be of service to all colleagues present and past. Thank you FMP for giving me the opportunity to grow and develop in my role. Wishing all current colleagues the best for the future!

Cons

I can not think of any.

Head of People & Culture

Thank you so much for your review and for your incredible contributions over the past 10+ years. We are really pleased to hear you valued many of the areas that we have focussed attentions on and that your time with us has been a positive experience over such a long period. We do hope that our support with your growth and development will carry with you into your future endeavours. Wishing you all the best for the future.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A pleasant place to work

Sep 22, 2021 - Creative in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good work-life balance - Run by grown-ups - Excellent response to the pandemic - Lovely new office and great location - Close-knit teams that actually like each other - Working on a product that's important to people - Good, nurturing culture

Cons

- Silos - Little visibility outside the industry

Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you so much for your review. I completely agree it makes such a difference when you work on or with a product that really reframes consumers' views on their own life. So glad you love the new office - it's such a bright collaborative space in a great location. I hadn't appreciated just how much I had missed being around work colleagues and it's been great being back and seeing faces and having the casual catch-ups with people. Would love to hear about your views on visibility outside the industry, we're always open to feedback, so please drop me a slack as would love to hear about your thoughts. Thanks again Sam Otter Chief Operations Officer.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible Creative company

Sep 8, 2021 - Creative Director in Dundee, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home Broad range of creative projects to work on

Cons

Homeworking doesn't allow for easy exchange of ideas

CPO

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback. We’re working hard to nurture a successful hybrid working culture and I’m really pleased to hear you feel you are benefiting from it. Your point around communication is useful too - there’s always more we can do to improve!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic Company

Aug 6, 2021 - Quality Control in Dundee, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at find my past is great. The company is very inclusive, even people on temporary contracts, like myself, are made to feel involved in all aspects of company life. The company genuinely seems to care for the mental and physical well-being of the staff. In addition to coffee meet ups, team quizzes, random care packages (with gin, chocolates, and other goodies,) we have access to mental health awareness apps, funds for flu vaccines, and we get a mental health switch off hour once every couple of weeks. I started with the company during lock-down, and I expected adjusting to a new job under those conditions would be difficult, but the company handled my on boarding exceptionally smoothly. It feels good to work in a company that is doing well. The company is growing and is filled with hard working and talented people. I enjoy having the opportunity to talk with with my colleagues in my own and in other departments. I've never had as many good conversations in any other job. All and all Find my past is a open, friendly and fun place to work.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you so much for taking the time to add your thoughts on your experience with Find My Past. Joining during lock-down really can’t have been easy. Whether, permanent or on a fixed-term contract, we all have a shared goal to continue to grow FMP. I'm also not surprised that you’ve been welcomed so well by the team at FMP. Our company value - being human really is a natural value for all FMP staff. Hopefully, you were able to join our recent face-to-face meet-up, where you’ve had the chance to meet some of your teammates in person. Thanks again for your review, and so glad you’re enjoying your role as part of the FMP team. Best Sam Otter Chief Operations Office

9. 4.0

Engineer at findmypast

Aug 2, 2021 - Junior Software Engineer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good onboarding remotely, some teams have tickets prepared to get new joiners started. An hour learning time everyday to help you with personal / career progressions.

Cons

Low budget on technologies and third party support. Macbook provided barely handled some services.

CTO

Great to hear onboarding is working for you. It’s very important to me, especially as we are growing in multiple locations and continue to adapt to the new norms. Sorry to hear you were struggling with the MacBook Pro. We offer every starter the choice of laptop/OS and we have a mix of Windows, MacOS and Linux. I will look into this further.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Really supportive place to work, awesome pension

May 11, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Very supportive structure * Management have a clear general idea of where they want to go * Absolutely fabulous pension scheme * Other benefits are very competitive * People are universally lovely * Interesting userbase that is very different to the norm - very challenging

Cons

* Knowing where you want to go is one thing. Having the systems in place to get there is a work in progress. It IS in progress though. * Not the "trendiest" company from a brand perspective, if you care about that.

CPO

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you're enjoying your time at FMP, that you approve of the direction we're heading in, and that you recognise the progress we're making on our journey to improve our systems.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 83 Reviews