Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Genentech Chief Executive Officer Alexander Hardy
Alexander Hardy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be an issue sometimes" (in 106 reviews)

• "Hard to convert from intern to full-time position" (in 87 reviews)

1. "Reality Doesn't Meet Reputation"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

- Opportunities whether you want them or not, both in terms of role development and getting your work out there.

- Occasionally interesting problems to solve.

- People are really great. Supportive and knowledgeable, they are the part that I will miss the most.

Cons

- My work was plagiarized by another department (used in an external poster, with publications pending likely) and I never received an apology or even acknowledgement for it, despite bringing it up to Sr. Director level.

- Severely undertitles its workers. Even within the Roche network, the work that I was doing would be Engineer work, rather than Research Associate. In most other companies, this would be somewhere around a Scientist level.

- There's way too much variability in quality between people in certain essential, critical departments, such as Quality and Project Managers. This variability can make your project pleasurable or a living hell. Many members of a development team will not know what the other members do, so there will be a lot of assignment of work that is not within a specific purview.

- Communication is always lacking, whether that means knowing how to, feeling like you're free to, or giving/receiving critique. It is just not there.

- Offboarding process is nonexistent. I still don't know where my COBRA paperwork is.

- Slow responding HR department that does not seem to actually read the questions you're asking.

- Although it doesn't encourage it, poor work/life balance is not actively discouraged. Stop sending emails at 1 AM!

Advice to Management

Stop listening to MBAs and their stupid Six Sigma / 5S coke dream and actually listen to your own employees about how to best improve the department.

Genentech Response

16 Nov 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for writing us a review. Integrity is a fundamental value that we take very seriously here. We appreciate your feedback and are committed to ensuring that employees at all levels speak up... More

"Great"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Challenging, dymanic, benefits, reputation, location

Cons

Deadlines, visibility, politics, overtime, location

3. "5 YEARS NOW AND STILL THE BEST"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Specialist

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Culture, pay, helping patients each day. Easy to talk to Senior Leadership, they want to listen to you.

Cons

Company is based in SanFransico, tough to relocate

4. "I am home."

Current Employee - Patient Navigator in South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Patient Navigator in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be at your best serving patients while you are living your life fulfilled.

Cons

Keep working hard. You just have to.

Advice to Management

There maybe road blocks ahead but with great minds and big hearts for the patients and the entire employees of Genentech, we will surpass it. Sky is the limit!

"Good company, but no longer the college feel it used to be"

Current Employee - MFG Tech Specialist
    Current Employee - MFG Tech Specialist

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great company, with the caveat, in the right departments. Some managers are good.

Cons

Some 'program managers' are not provided training on how to be a people manage because they have no direct reports. Some of these individuals are allowed to skirt regulations because of this.
    Because of LPS, many positions are now single-sourced and there is no longer any back up for that position which means, no off-time.

Advice to Management

Train and develop management and individual contributors for the their current positions and the future. Do not be afraid to do the right thing, even if that means cutting the head off of some programs.

6. "Still Happy After All These Years"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture of doing right by patients and following the science continues to drive the company. More than anywhere else I've ever worked (25+ yrs in industry, 35 years working in corporations), Genentech "walks their talk." I am grateful every day that I get the opportunity to have a positive impact on the lives of patients and their loved ones, do interesting and challenging work, with the added benefit of supporting my own family. Leadership works hard to maintain transparency, invites open communication, and is committed to continuous improvement. Employees are awesome, smart, driven and working there for the right reasons.

Cons

The current state of change has been stressful for many. There is some confusion impacting our ability to focus. I am confident that this will diminish as we better incorporate our new, intensified focus on patients and customers.

"Great Benefits and Upward Mobility"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Genentech definitely provides great benefits and makes employees want to stay at the company. I believe that Genentech is headed in the right direction and it's great to be a part of it.

Cons

There is nothing at the moment

"Great company"

Former Employee - Field Reimbursement Manager
    Former Employee - Field Reimbursement Manager

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was very competitive. Worked there for almost 19 years

Cons

Has grown so much in the last 10 years that is doesn’t even resemble the old Genentech.

Advice to Management

Do every you can to keep veteran employees. It takes years to train someone and experience is very valuable.

"Good company but slowly declining"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Meaningful work
    Good people
    Lots of opportunities
    Benefits

Cons

Changes in upper management and expiring patents have lead to layoffs. Also a lot of departments have “cliques” which I wasn’t a fan of. People who do their job well and go above and beyond should be recognized regardless if they’re in the clique or not.

10. "Overall positive"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Overall positive experience. Interns get to use the gym and ride the genentech bus.

Cons

Internship lacks structure . It would be nice to have more guidance for career development.