Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Genentech CEO Alexander Hardy
Alexander Hardy
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance varies greatly depending on your function or manager(in 109 reviews)

• "Hard to find opportunities for full time(in 100 reviews)

1. "Reality Doesn't Meet Reputation"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

- Opportunities whether you want them or not, both in terms of role development and getting your work out there. - Occasionally interesting problems to solve. - People are really great. Supportive and knowledgeable, they are the part that I will miss the most.

Cons

- My work was plagiarized by another department (used in an external poster, with publications pending likely) and I never received an apology or even acknowledgement for it, despite bringing it up to Sr. Director level. - Severely undertitles its workers. Even within the Roche network, the work that I was doing would be Engineer work, rather than Research Associate. In most other companies, this would be... somewhere around a Scientist level. - There's way too much variability in quality between people in certain essential, critical departments, such as Quality and Project Managers. This variability can make your project pleasurable or a living hell. Many members of a development team will not know what the other members do, so there will be a lot of assignment of work that is not within a specific purview. - Communication is always lacking, whether that means knowing how to, feeling like you're free to, or giving/receiving critique. It is just not there. - Offboarding process is nonexistent. I still don't know where my COBRA paperwork is. - Slow responding HR department that does not seem to actually read the questions you're asking. - Although it doesn't encourage it, poor work/life balance is not actively discouraged. Stop sending emails at 1 AM!

Advice to Management

Stop listening to MBAs and their stupid Six Sigma / 5S coke dream and actually listen to your own employees about how to best improve the department.

Genentech2017-09-16

November 16, 2017Account Manager

Thank you for writing us a review. Integrity is a fundamental value that we take very seriously here. We appreciate your feedback and are committed to ensuring that employees at all levels speak up and share their views. Employees are encouraged to raise any specific concerns with their HR Business Partner to ensure they are promptly addressed. Thank you for sharing your review.

"Great"

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Challenging, dymanic, benefits, reputation, location

Cons

Deadlines, visibility, politics, overtime, location

Genentech2015-08-05
  3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Leadership is confused and too much politics

Advice to Management

Focus on solid work over playing games

Genentech2019-10-13
  4. "Awesome Company and Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best company to work for.

Cons

Frequent layoffs other than that np

Genentech2019-10-11
  5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, team, culture, innovation, and trajectory

Cons

Pipeline Hierarchy within sales / middle management Narrow roles

Genentech2019-10-10

"Always in the top 50 places to work"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Implementation Leader

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Genentech is an industry leader where innovation drives advances in medicine.

Cons

After being acquired by Roche, the vibe is more corporate, slow to make decisions, and in the end it's only as good as the group you are in.

Genentech2019-10-01
  7. "Best Organization to be apart of"

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Pay Great benefits Awards Great Work life balance that promotes working from home team engagement events able to travel visibility a lot of development opportunities Be able to help others Our give back to the community events

Cons

I have none at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Genentech2019-10-02

October 18, 2019Sr. Client Strategist

Thank you for your positive review! We’re happy to hear you enjoy working here and would like to thank you for being a part of our mission to bring breakthrough and transformative medicines to the patients who need them.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Quality in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Perks, Colleagues, Pay, Listen to Employees

Cons

Hard to grow unless you know the right people or have the right credentials Raise is extremely low

Advice to Management

Allow ones that have longevity with the company to excel in multiple positions More follow through with management on suggestions would be better

Genentech2019-09-30

October 18, 2019Sr. Client Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal has always been to develop a culture where our employees’ voices are heard and we’re happy to hear you've experienced this. We believe that career development opportunities come in many forms and encourage you to embrace chances to broaden your skills and experience and/or exploring alternative paths or other areas of the business. We recognize these experiences can have different meanings in shaping one’s career. To help support your journey, feel free to reach out to your manager or the Career Lab. Again, we appreciate your input and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

9. "Friendly people to work with"

Former Employee - Principal Architect in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal Development Travel as required Perks Management is considerate

Cons

Lacking Structure in some departments "You run on your own. Will help only when needed and asked thrice" attitude of few managers

Advice to Management

South Sa Francisco should get directions from Basel but also have courage to preserve culture we had at one point in time

Genentech2019-10-01
  10. "Great company, great benefits!"

Current Employee - Market Planning Manager

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, culture, mission, community, job opportunities

Cons

Commute, work-life balance, competition for open jobs,

Genentech2019-09-23

October 18, 2019Sr. Client Strategist

Great to hear your comments! We work hard to create a culture and community where our employees have the support they need and the resources to live their best lives - at work and at home. We’re glad to hear your experience so far is reflecting this. We’d love to hear some ideas on how we can make your commute and work-life balance better. Please share it with your manager or HR Business Partner. Thank you again for leaving a review!

Found 1937 reviews