Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 31 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 20 reviews)

"Exciting company where you can make a difference and work alongside great people"

Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England
    Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved coming in to work every day. The team are all so lovely and respectful and the work environment is great. Everyone is very driven about the Glassdoor mission and very passionate about their work. Glassdoor as an employer is super flexible and appreciates the work/life balance of their employees. You also get a lot of opportunity at Glassdoor to use your skills and develop professionally. It's still in many ways a start-up which clearly isn't for everyone but really what difference do you expect to make at the alternative, a 10k+ employees professional network company based in central London? If you want to really contribute and feel like your work makes a difference then you should work for Glassdoor.

The direct management in my team was very supportive, great mentors and anything but micro-management. Generally Glassdoor doesn't really do micromanagement which also means you should know to manage yourself.

Other pros are the competitive salary, great office location, nice team events, progression and autonomy.

Talking for the London office, I wouldn't say the negative reviews really give an accurate idea of the work environment. There's challenges that come with any start-up but most comments do not resonate with my experience in any way.

I can truly recommend Glassdoor to anyone that is looking for a meaningful job, with tons of learning opportunities, room for growth, amazing colleagues and a healthy work environment.

Cons

I had no reason whatsoever to leave on my own initiative for above reasons but the company decided to let me go due to focus shift away from most EMEA markets. Very disappointing and sad but I respect tough decisions need to be made in order to move the business forward - although in all modesty I believe this was a poor decision made by higher management as I (as well as my colleagues in the other markets) build up tons of relationships within industry and media landscape that will be hard to rebuild when focus will be shifting back to those markets. In addition to that we took on so many different tasks outside of our original jobs such as sales, marketing, pr, etc. (which I loved as never a day was the same), while getting paid for 1 which is a pretty good deal for the company I'd say. It's like spending ages on building a sand castle and then kicking it in. What monster does that, no offense. Anyway I'm all for flexible redundancy rules but perhaps in a more constructive way.

Advice to Management

If you need to let go of loyal employees, give them the opportunity to properly wrap up. All of us who were made redundant, had to pack our bags and go. I have been a happy advocate for Glassdoor and was 100% on board of the mission and made great progress to make a success of my market. Having to leave so abruptly with no notice or chance to finish things off, is the last thing I expected from a company like Glassdoor and what it preaches. Not only does this put Glassdoor in a bad light with partners and clients as all of a sudden they lost their main contact they spoke to every week (in their own language), it is also personally and professionally damaging for us and the network we built up.

Otherwise my main advice would be value the employees that are left in the EMEA team as they are such hard and dedicated workers who are confronted with many more challenges than in the head office and rarely complain except perhaps about the coffee machine which is totally legitimate. You have lost great talent (talking generally here, I am not Kanye West) that will remain to impact the long-term international strategy, but value the strong professionals working for you and oh yeah never remove focus from PR because your global PR is the most impressive team ever and really sets Glassdoor apart as a company. Media loves the stories, the research, the data and what Glassdoor does.

Otherwise keep doing what you do

5 Jul 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback, it’s meaningful and incredibly helpful. As we look for ways to improve & change, we will certainly take your words into consideration for the future... More

"On the cusp of greatness...but don’t expect it to be handed to you. Work hard for it."

Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England
    Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Depending on the role you have at Glassdoor, you can own, market, sell or develop a product which is not only highly influential but one that everyone wants to talk to you about. Pretty cool right? How often do you get to say you’re working for a business which is truly disrupting an industry? Well, Glassdoor is. And, at the very least, a job here will mean you immediately become an attractive candidate to all sorts of companies, from small start-ups right through to larger established businesses looking for someone with experience in a top-tier US-based tech company.

After more than two years, I remain as committed as ever to the business because as well as always trying to be a loyal employee, I also believe and understand the mission. That’s of utmost importance. If you don’t believe in the mission here (or are not a good fit), you won’t last very long. This company is extremely agile and can make quick decisions if they notice something isn’t quite right. I like that.

Personally, I work with an exceptional bunch of individuals from my senior leaders based in our San Francisco HQ to my colleagues and friends here in the London office. Our CEO is seriously impressive, authentic and transparent, will give you face time if needed and makes an effort to get to know you. In my experience, the same can also be said for our senior leaders who now come to London/Dublin on a quarterly basis.

Perform (or try new things) and you’ll be handsomely rewarded. Hide and you’ll get found out.

Cons

We’ve spoken and Glassdoor has listened. Both London and Dublin office spaces are being upgraded and the benefits structure is being looked at across both European teams to fit the needs of most. I think HR/senior leaders will be the first to admit that they dropped the ball in terms of setting up a competitive EMEA benefits package when we launched a few years ago, but it’s great that we’ve all had frank and open conversations about putting this right. This was a major con, but slowly we’re getting there.

In terms of benefits, perks and office spaces, we are still some way off the likes of Facebook, LinkedIn, Expedia, AirBnB, Uber et al. And that’s okay, because we are just not there yet as a business. But, if that’s what you’re after/expecting, simply don’t apply and come back in five years. Our founders also started Expedia, so they know what they need to do to get to that level.

Advice to Management

The positive shift in terms of PR, sales performance and general sentiment for Glassdoor across the UK, in particular, is palpable. Continue to grow certain teams in Europe and give us the tools we need to support monetisation of the business. We want to help make Glassdoor the most high-profile and successful job site across EMEA.

"Anything in life worth having is worth working for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Glassdoor London longer than anyone else and feel that I am qualified to give a balanced opinion based on a number of different team changes and a significant amount of growth over time. I fully believe that Glassdoor is destined for greatness on a global scale and I personally enjoy working here very much. I look forward to every day, I understand and support the mission of the company, I know how I can make a difference and my goals are clear. I feel like I am well supported by my manager and wider team in the US and I also feel like the work-life balance is good. Our benefits program is slowly improving but the main benefit for me are the share options, which I value highly.
    The culture in London is good (in my opinion) although perhaps a work in progress. We get together and socialise pretty regularly. We always have team events in the pipeline and I enjoy everyone's company in the office.
    Some of us have been around for a while now and, just as with any company, others have left for various reasons. It hasn't worked out for some people, but at the end of the day, that's life. Glassdoor isn't for everyone and some people have probably had a pretty rough time and struggled, but I have thrived here. I feel appreciated by the CEO and in return I feel a strong sense of loyalty. There's no magic formula: if you like your job and you are good at it, you do well.

Cons

Let's be honest, we're not there yet, in terms of where I want Glassdoor to be in Europe nor where I thought we would be at this point in 2017. As a company, we're having to re-focus and set ourselves up for success, and I accept that. This is quite normal for a hyper-growth company. I'm not concerned about our strategy or momentum, but it doesn't mean that I'm not fed up about being temporarily restricted in terms of my scope.

My hours can be quite long and there is certainly a lot of scrutiny and pressure. However, I've always felt that I can take the time I need to recharge as well as have flexible working.

If you like an all-singing, all-dancing benefits scheme, everything on a plate, easy-sell corporate environment with massive salaries, then Glassdoor is not for you. If you don't mind pushing the envelope and you are resilient enough to rough it a bit on the journey, then Glassdoor could take you into a new league in terms of what you thought you could achieve and where you thought your career could go. You need to see the bigger picture and not get caught up on little things if you want to be satisfied working here. I actually like this in a way because it filters out those that can't, or are not willing, to go the distance.

Advice to Management

Seriously, it's time for us to think about new office facilities for the UK. We need proper support from the facilities team, not an "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" approach.

5 Jul 2017 – CEO & Founder

As one of our first hires in the UK, I salute you for taking on the unknown and setting us up for success in our first-ever European office. You point to a hardworking scrappy environment that I... More

"This place is hell"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive environment and training is provided

Cons

They promise a lot but what a let down, poor salaries, out of date commission structure. working long hours in general but here you are expected to work overtime every day. No team spirit a lot of friction and a racist environment . You need to appreciate your employees and make them feel special

Advice to Management

Get a reality check

19 May 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that you did not feel comfortable communicating these frustrations while you were with Glassdoor, but please note I take them quite seriously. We want to... More

"Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is strong and there have been good relationships formed in the sales team.
    Autonomy is available in your role, given that the numerous reports are completed weekly.
    Office location is good as well

Cons

Too much administration and company meetings done weekly to run an effective book of business
    Micro management is peaking through
    Being a UK entity of a US business, you are a second thought to their needs and demands and focus is not given entirely to growing pains in a new market
    The product is a 'nice to have' vs a necessity
    Still no benefits - after years of requesting
    Career Progression is slow for a start-up

Advice to Management

Develop activities to create a better working environment
    Consider local leaders who understand the market and environment and struggles
    Provide benefits as start-ups typically offer this to accommodate for high pressure we work in

19 Mar 2017 – Director, EMEA Sales

Thanks for your review. It’s clear we really missed the mark for you. To your point, we do have a very talented team in London and it’s great to hear you formed good relationships with the team... More

"Onboarding process is amazing"

Current Employee - Head of Channel Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Head of Channel Sales in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made to very welcome
    Team are really supportive
    management are really supportive
    Training both locally and Globally
    Everything set to go on day one

Cons

Time difference with helpdesk being in the States - a slight delay on getting IT issues fixed

Advice to Management

More EU help

6 Jan 2017 – Chief Revenue Officer

This is great to hear and we appreciate the feedback! We have made several changes to the on-boarding process over the last year and we have more work to do but very glad to hear you had a positive... More

"Two years in, still loving every day"

Current Employee - Senior PR Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior PR Manager in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love this company and can honestly say that I am as driven to succeed and passionate about the mission as the day I started. I have experienced huge change in two years which has been a real thrill, yet I feel like I am only just getting started. The camaraderie is great and the people I work with are real friends. In London we are a small team and we look out for each other.
    I really appreciate the opportunity that I have been given and my favourite part of the job is that we are breaking new ground in Europe.
    The senior management team are fantastic and I have a lot of respect for them. I believe we will be very successful and we are going in the right direction.

Cons

The hours are often quite long since we always have a lot to do and we have to conduct a lot of conference calls with the US near the end of our working day. The salary and bonus are good but the benefits are not yet up to scratch.
    There's a lot of pressure, which might not suit everyone but I don't mind it.
    There has been huge growth and a lot of new senior hires recently so it does feel like we have lost some of the early start-up vibe at HQ. In Europe we are still scrappy though.
    Overall, the cons are really minor.

Advice to Management

Please make sure you have an international outlook in everything you do and make it easy to integrate employees outside of the US. Please also make the effort to come to Europe regularly.

"Truly amazing place to work with huge potential ahead"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor Europe is a start-up within a start-up. Every single person makes a real difference and the growth opportunities are endless as we continue to expand in Europe and globally. The culture is great, fun, supportive, and the training program is incredible and sets you up for success.
    Great central London office location, fun team events, collaborative environment in the office - Glassdoor invests in each employee's success and happiness, and that's visible in the way people come to work every day, enthusiastic about the job they do.

Cons

This is not a negative for me but we are growing rapidly and building the framework of Glassdoor Europe as we grow, and sometimes you end up buying office supplies and snacks in addition to doing your full time job. If you'd rather have a team of people responsible for everything from office management to IT and you're not prepared to roll up your sleeves and pitch in this might not be the right place for you at this stage of our growth.
    The US office has amazing perks and we know we will get there too but we are still in the hyper growth stage so wellness programs and catered lunch every day are still not available to our office - but it's reassuring to look to our US colleagues and see where we'll be able to get to!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in top talent and in preserving the culture - it's the people that make Glassdoor such an incredible place to work. Stay true to the values that Glassdoor promotes to businesses every day!

11 Jan 2016 – Head of International

Thanks for your review - we've worked really hard to build an entrepreneurial start-up culture within our London office and I'm so happy that it's working for you.

You're right that the London... More

"Awesome office and team in London"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supportive team environment where everyone gets their jobs team and at the same time enjoys a fun culture, that is very open and welcoming to new team members. Great vibe in the office that makes coming in everyday fun.

Cons

As we are a couple of years behind HQ, some of the perks and "extra" benefits are not quite here yet, which is understandable. However doesn't make it any easier!

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on Europe and the new markets, ensure you adapt to the cultural differences. Keep doing what you do and send more of the Executive team over.

"GD Europe exciting place to be! Positive environment, lovely team."

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Team is lovely
    - Positive, casual and mature work environment of dedicated people
    - Great work/life balance
    - A lot of flexibility
    - Very exciting place to be - Glassdoor is growing massively every day and you get to be a part of it!

Cons

When you start at GD Europe you have to realize it's still a start-up feeling where you are expected to be a self-starter and learn the ropes yourself. Flexibility comes with ownership and you have to be able to carry this. If this suits you, you can count this as a plus!

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in Europe - I see a bright future here!
    Move the perks of the HQ to other offices as well.
    Keep the company culture as it is while continuing to grow.