Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

"Great People, Great Product & Great Future"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Glassdoor 2 months ago and have no regrets at all.

My new colleagues have all been very welcoming, supportive and clearly know what they are doing.

Not just from my own office, but this includes people throughout the organisation - from the ones I met during the onboarding process in Chicago to my colleagues based in Dublin.

Being in sales, the product itself is fundamental to the pride I feel at work and whether I see a career in an organisation or not. Since joining Glassdoor I have met multiple clients from a variety of industries and the huge majority have been extremely happy with the product and service delivered.

For me, this is so important and fills me with confidence in the decision I made to leave my last company and join Glassdoor.

I've personally experienced working for a company during its hyper-growth stage and loved it. My job now allows me to be part of a similar journey at Glassdoor, which is so exciting.

It is truly a great time to be at Glassdoor!

Cons

Obviously, when a company is growing at such a pace then you will have growing pains and certain challenges. But to be honest that is what excited me about joining Glassdoor and what keeps my job interesting.

Each day brings new challenges, but if your head is in the right place and you are prepared to work hard, then the satisfaction of genuinely contributing to the success of a business outweighs any negatives.

Advice to Management

As we grow across all departments, hiring the right people at the right time is crucial to our success. Let's make sure our employees aren't too stretched before we start the hiring cycle. Being proactive rather than reactive.

"The future's ours"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been at Glassdoor London from the very scrappy and gritty beginning. I love that the scrappy and gritty culture remains a key component of our identity in the London office. We’re a “small” group of ~20 which for some of us seems like a HUGE group. That said, the size of the group fosters a sense of family and togetherness across teams and functions. Needless to say there’s banter, laughs, singing and a celebration of our individual differences, quirks and the diversity of the very multinational group.

You can generally twist someone’s arm to go for a cheeky beverage or few at one of the plethora of watering holes in the local area. Our shiny new office is perfectly located for after work cheekies and offers up endless options for lunch on the Southbank, Borough Market and Flat Iron Square to name but a few. Summer drinks on the Southbank have been quite the treat these past few weeks.

The outlook for the business is very bright especially since the Recruit acquisition was confirmed. International was already slated to be the focus for this and future years so the news of the acquisition fills us with even more excitement for what’s to come particularly for us in the international markets. Accelerated growth and even more opportunity is clearly on the horizon which makes us an even more attractive “startup” for talent with a desire to make a noticeable impact on a technology company on the upward trajectory of accelerated growth.

Cons

There’s a lot of change in a very short space of time which can be overwhelming and is exacerbated by the pace at which we are growing and evolving in Europe. This is both a pro and a con dependent on your perspective. In this environment some will flourish and some will not but it is definitely a period where you need to buckle up and hold on tightly because we’re going places very fast!!

We are still lacking in some support functions but steps have been taken to address challenges around local IT, HR, Benefits etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to locally address the functional challenges we’ve been faced with. Continue to listen to your people and action change where possible. Keep the lines of communication open and please keep us abreast of future changes that have been earmarked based on the feedback you’ve garnered from internal surveys and reviews alike.

3. "Get Ready To Accelerate!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We're in a good place right now. The acquisition by Recruit Holdings has completed, the Sales and Growth teams are doing an excellent job and international expansion is at the top of the agenda.
    The next few years look very exciting in terms of opportunities for personal growth and new experiences. I am very much looking forward to Glassdoor launching in new markets and ramping up the whole EMEA operation. We've got a lot of momentum right now and the backing of the senior leadership team.
    The new London office is cool and everyone in the team is smart, fun and hard-working.
    We have a strong EMEA leadership team and functional heads in London and Dublin.
    I wouldn't want to work anywhere else, right now.

Cons

I write a review of Glassdoor every year and this is the first year that I am struggling a little bit to find genuine cons. At least, cons that matter to me. Some would say that the benefits package could be improved further, but we have made good progress.
    Local IT support has been really poor, but we have already hopefully solved that issue with a new hire starting soon.
    HR support from head office has always been a bit thin on the ground and many processes could do with improvement, but again, we have local HR support now and that should smooth things out going forward as that person untangles the mess.

Advice to Management

We've got the right people on the bus in EMEA to accelerate Glassdoor across the world. Keep giving us the budget and support we need to make the next chapter really successful and build on the foundations we have already established.
    I recognise and appreciate efforts to connect more frequently and meaningfully with the teams in London and Dublin.

"Glassdoor has transformed my career and life..."

Current Employee - Enterprise Relationship Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Enterprise Relationship Manager in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing vision and a great company culture alongside a product suite unrivaled by anyone else in the marketplace with future innovations in the pipe that are sure to keep Glassdoor as the global leader in recruiting and employer branding solutions.

Glassdoor has a great vision and mission, inspiring senior leaders and the best culture and values in the world. They genuinely care about people and they give you the opportunity to transform yourself as a professional in line with EMEA growth.

Everyone seems genuinely grateful and happy to be here. There is no seniority complex among the management team and each individual is recognised as an important part of the wider company. A lot of time is also invested in personal development which I have not seen anywhere else.

The facilities are superb and work environment is great fun. There is a positive work/life balance. Managers offer a lot of trusts which helps you to perform well and enjoy your day.

Cons

The business is at a critical juncture, and some crucial business decisions must be made to keep it growing and the standout in its industry. It seems we have just started this journey, I hope it's not too late.

Advice to Management

Keep doing as you are: communicating with the team, and encouraging them to approach you with potential solutions and other ideas to drive growth.

"Good people and great mission but lack of career progression"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor EMEA is a small team, people genuinely care about one another and about the mission of the company. We work with the best brands in the world and we've been growing rapidly which means that no two days are the same on the job, regardless of which team you sit on - it's exciting to be part of that growth. The organization is fairly flat and the executive team in the US is welcoming of feedback, and over the past few months has been communicating with more transparency with the EMEA group which has been well received - we're getting new offices in EMEA that are better aligned to the type of company Glassdoor is, and that's exciting.

Cons

There are cons that are associated with the growing pains of being a start up and they're not negatives as such but to someone coming from a larger organization those might be challenging - for example, working at Glassdoor EMEA is a demanding job and it is not your typical 9-5. It also requires that you roll up your sleeves and pitch in where help is needed, even if it's not in your direct area of expertise (that means helping with external events, organizing team events to build culture and morale, etc). If you're not prepared to do that, this is not the place for you, at least at this stage of Glassdoor's growth.
    Glassdoor reacts very slowly to feedback - it reacts, which is appreciated, but it often takes months (and in some cases years) of mentioning certain challenges in order for senior management in the US to take action. We are still small enough - let's not wait until things get too dire.
    Then there are cons that in my opinion are preventing strong talent from staying and growing and they are the real challenges of Glassdoor EMEA - there are almost no opportunities for career progression (unless, in my opinion, you are an SDR and move into a sales / account management role) and it is a topic that does not get addressed well enough, especially for a company with the mission of Glassdoor. It is a topic that many people discuss amongst themselves and there is a general feeling of not being able to progress, but that management is vague about.

Advice to Management

Create a transparent path for career growth within EMEA and focus on investing in and developing your employees - and if that opportunity doesn't exist just yet, be open and honest about it. The message of "long term there will be tons of opportunities, when we go into new markets etc" is not helpful and does not allow people to grow within the company and to feel like year after year they are valued and supported to develop their career in a direction that makes them feel satisfied at work, especially as at the same time we search externally for local management.

29 Nov 2017 – SVP of Global Sales

We hear you and really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad to hear that you are excited to be a part of our fast growing team in EMEA. As a younger company we're forced to... More

"On the cusp of greatness...but don’t expect it to be handed to you. Work hard for it."

Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England
    Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Depending on the role you have at Glassdoor, you can own, market, sell or develop a product which is not only highly influential but one that everyone wants to talk to you about. Pretty cool right? How often do you get to say you’re working for a business which is truly disrupting an industry? Well, Glassdoor is. And, at the very least, a job here will mean you immediately become an attractive candidate to all sorts of companies, from small start-ups right through to larger established businesses looking for someone with experience in a top-tier US-based tech company.

After more than two years, I remain as committed as ever to the business because as well as always trying to be a loyal employee, I also believe and understand the mission. That’s of utmost importance. If you don’t believe in the mission here (or are not a good fit), you won’t last very long. This company is extremely agile and can make quick decisions if they notice something isn’t quite right. I like that.

Personally, I work with an exceptional bunch of individuals from my senior leaders based in our San Francisco HQ to my colleagues and friends here in the London office. Our CEO is seriously impressive, authentic and transparent, will give you face time if needed and makes an effort to get to know you. In my experience, the same can also be said for our senior leaders who now come to London/Dublin on a quarterly basis.

Perform (or try new things) and you’ll be handsomely rewarded. Hide and you’ll get found out.

Cons

We’ve spoken and Glassdoor has listened. Both London and Dublin office spaces are being upgraded and the benefits structure is being looked at across both European teams to fit the needs of most. I think HR/senior leaders will be the first to admit that they dropped the ball in terms of setting up a competitive EMEA benefits package when we launched a few years ago, but it’s great that we’ve all had frank and open conversations about putting this right. This was a major con, but slowly we’re getting there.

In terms of benefits, perks and office spaces, we are still some way off the likes of Facebook, LinkedIn, Expedia, AirBnB, Uber et al. And that’s okay, because we are just not there yet as a business. But, if that’s what you’re after/expecting, simply don’t apply and come back in five years. Our founders also started Expedia, so they know what they need to do to get to that level.

Advice to Management

The positive shift in terms of PR, sales performance and general sentiment for Glassdoor across the UK, in particular, is palpable. Continue to grow certain teams in Europe and give us the tools we need to support monetisation of the business. We want to help make Glassdoor the most high-profile and successful job site across EMEA.

24 Oct 2017 – VP Corporate Communications

Thank you for your review. Glassdoor strives to be an open and transparent company and I am glad to hear that you feel your input has been heard in a range of ways. We're glad you're part of the team!... More

"Exciting company where you can make a difference and work alongside great people"

Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England
    Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved coming in to work every day. The team are all so lovely and respectful and the work environment is great. Everyone is very driven about the Glassdoor mission and very passionate about their work. Glassdoor as an employer is super flexible and appreciates the work/life balance of their employees. You also get a lot of opportunity at Glassdoor to use your skills and develop professionally. It's still in many ways a start-up which clearly isn't for everyone but really what difference do you expect to make at the alternative, a 10k+ employees professional network company based in central London? If you want to really contribute and feel like your work makes a difference then you should work for Glassdoor.

The direct management in my team was very supportive, great mentors and anything but micro-management. Generally Glassdoor doesn't really do micromanagement which also means you should know to manage yourself.

Other pros are the competitive salary, great office location, nice team events, progression and autonomy.

Talking for the London office, I wouldn't say the negative reviews really give an accurate idea of the work environment. There's challenges that come with any start-up but most comments do not resonate with my experience in any way.

I can truly recommend Glassdoor to anyone that is looking for a meaningful job, with tons of learning opportunities, room for growth, amazing colleagues and a healthy work environment.

Cons

I had no reason whatsoever to leave on my own initiative for above reasons but the company decided to let me go due to focus shift away from most EMEA markets. Very disappointing and sad but I respect tough decisions need to be made in order to move the business forward - although in all modesty I believe this was a poor decision made by higher management as I (as well as my colleagues in the other markets) build up tons of relationships within industry and media landscape that will be hard to rebuild when focus will be shifting back to those markets. In addition to that we took on so many different tasks outside of our original jobs such as sales, marketing, pr, etc. (which I loved as never a day was the same), while getting paid for 1 which is a pretty good deal for the company I'd say. It's like spending ages on building a sand castle and then kicking it in. What monster does that, no offense. Anyway I'm all for flexible redundancy rules but perhaps in a more constructive way.

Advice to Management

If you need to let go of loyal employees, give them the opportunity to properly wrap up. All of us who were made redundant, had to pack our bags and go. I have been a happy advocate for Glassdoor and was 100% on board of the mission and made great progress to make a success of my market. Having to leave so abruptly with no notice or chance to finish things off, is the last thing I expected from a company like Glassdoor and what it preaches. Not only does this put Glassdoor in a bad light with partners and clients as all of a sudden they lost their main contact they spoke to every week (in their own language), it is also personally and professionally damaging for us and the network we built up.

Otherwise my main advice would be value the employees that are left in the EMEA team as they are such hard and dedicated workers who are confronted with many more challenges than in the head office and rarely complain except perhaps about the coffee machine which is totally legitimate. You have lost great talent (talking generally here, I am not Kanye West) that will remain to impact the long-term international strategy, but value the strong professionals working for you and oh yeah never remove focus from PR because your global PR is the most impressive team ever and really sets Glassdoor apart as a company. Media loves the stories, the research, the data and what Glassdoor does.

Otherwise keep doing what you do

5 Jul 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback, it’s meaningful and incredibly helpful. As we look for ways to improve & change, we will certainly take your words into consideration for the future... More

"Anything in life worth having is worth working for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Glassdoor London longer than anyone else and feel that I am qualified to give a balanced opinion based on a number of different team changes and a significant amount of growth over time. I fully believe that Glassdoor is destined for greatness on a global scale and I personally enjoy working here very much. I look forward to every day, I understand and support the mission of the company, I know how I can make a difference and my goals are clear. I feel like I am well supported by my manager and wider team in the US and I also feel like the work-life balance is good. Our benefits program is slowly improving but the main benefit for me are the share options, which I value highly.
    The culture in London is good (in my opinion) although perhaps a work in progress. We get together and socialise pretty regularly. We always have team events in the pipeline and I enjoy everyone's company in the office.
    Some of us have been around for a while now and, just as with any company, others have left for various reasons. It hasn't worked out for some people, but at the end of the day, that's life. Glassdoor isn't for everyone and some people have probably had a pretty rough time and struggled, but I have thrived here. I feel appreciated by the CEO and in return I feel a strong sense of loyalty. There's no magic formula: if you like your job and you are good at it, you do well.

Cons

Let's be honest, we're not there yet, in terms of where I want Glassdoor to be in Europe nor where I thought we would be at this point in 2017. As a company, we're having to re-focus and set ourselves up for success, and I accept that. This is quite normal for a hyper-growth company. I'm not concerned about our strategy or momentum, but it doesn't mean that I'm not fed up about being temporarily restricted in terms of my scope.

My hours can be quite long and there is certainly a lot of scrutiny and pressure. However, I've always felt that I can take the time I need to recharge as well as have flexible working.

If you like an all-singing, all-dancing benefits scheme, everything on a plate, easy-sell corporate environment with massive salaries, then Glassdoor is not for you. If you don't mind pushing the envelope and you are resilient enough to rough it a bit on the journey, then Glassdoor could take you into a new league in terms of what you thought you could achieve and where you thought your career could go. You need to see the bigger picture and not get caught up on little things if you want to be satisfied working here. I actually like this in a way because it filters out those that can't, or are not willing, to go the distance.

Advice to Management

Seriously, it's time for us to think about new office facilities for the UK. We need proper support from the facilities team, not an "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" approach.

5 Jul 2017 – CEO & Founder

As one of our first hires in the UK, I salute you for taking on the unknown and setting us up for success in our first-ever European office. You point to a hardworking scrappy environment that I... More

"This place is hell"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive environment and training is provided

Cons

They promise a lot but what a let down, poor salaries, out of date commission structure. working long hours in general but here you are expected to work overtime every day. No team spirit a lot of friction and a racist environment . You need to appreciate your employees and make them feel special

Advice to Management

Get a reality check

19 May 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that you did not feel comfortable communicating these frustrations while you were with Glassdoor, but please note I take them quite seriously. We want to... More

"Room for improvement"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is strong and there have been good relationships formed in the sales team.
    Autonomy is available in your role, given that the numerous reports are completed weekly.
    Office location is good as well

Cons

Too much administration and company meetings done weekly to run an effective book of business
    Micro management is peaking through
    Being a UK entity of a US business, you are a second thought to their needs and demands and focus is not given entirely to growing pains in a new market
    The product is a 'nice to have' vs a necessity
    Still no benefits - after years of requesting
    Career Progression is slow for a start-up

Advice to Management

Develop activities to create a better working environment
    Consider local leaders who understand the market and environment and struggles
    Provide benefits as start-ups typically offer this to accommodate for high pressure we work in

19 Mar 2017 – Director, EMEA Sales

Thanks for your review. It’s clear we really missed the mark for you. To your point, we do have a very talented team in London and it’s great to hear you formed good relationships with the team... More