Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 1 Dec 2019

4.2
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 25 reviews)

• "Holiday Extras make considerable effort to try and create a work environment that helps their employees thrive(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call centre very separate to the rest of the company(in 9 reviews)

• "However holiday extras rely on thier middle management too much to rely important information when this doesn’t in reality happen(in 4 reviews)

1. "A company that cares"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Xompetative rates of pay, bonus you can work towards, supportive team, work benefits and discount schemes with outside partnerships. They put on alot of events for staff. Company really do care about their people and their wellbeing. Flexible work available for remote workers.

Cons

The work can be repetitive, with no breaks inbetween. Constant weekend and evening work for all part time workers is difficult to work around your family. Everything is done via technology, sometimes you feel like you will never physically have a face-to-face conversation again.

Advice to Management

Think about the work/life balance for employees when scheduling work hours Keep up the good work Matt Pack! Anyone can see how you genuinely care for each employee and take the time to show your face.

Holiday Extras2019-11-15
  2. "The best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Manager

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other. They treat you like an adult and as a result it's easy to want to work hard and give back.

Cons

Thinking that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Holiday Extras2019-11-15
  3. "Holiday Extras Review"

Current Employee - Email Marketing in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is fantastic, there is very rarely a bad day at work.

Cons

Pay is sometimes an issue in comparison to other companies for the same roles.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture continues.

Holiday Extras2019-11-15
  4. "Top Company Who Make a Real Effort"

Current Employee - SEO Lead in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Holiday Extras make considerable effort to try and create a work environment that helps their employees thrive. They dedicate considerable resource into the welfare of their staff, trying to keep them as happy and engaged as possible with multiple initiatives focused around communication, development, reward and progression. A profit share scheme, Birthday's as holiday, company parties, flexible working hours,... personal Macbooks, the ability to work from home, BBQ's and various fun little event's throughout the year, company benefits, long-service paid sabbaticals - these things all make for quite a generous package. There is an onus on encouraging employees to 'buy in' to the company and wanting to contribute as best as possible - wanting to drive success. There is plenty of give from Holiday Extras and they hope their employees want to give back. It's an approach that puts a responsibility on you. If you're the sort of person who embraces this, there is a freedom in many roles at Holiday Extras which really encourages initiative, creativity and productivity. The genuine pride in this company held by many of the senior staff is evident here. This is the quality control that runs through it and it is likewise adopted by a great many of it's employees .

Cons

I honestly think it would be unreasonable to post any cons here. In a company this size, it's impossible to make everything run absolutely perfectly and to keep everybody happy, but the steer from the top - the policies, the ethos and the effort in executing as much of this as possible, is spot on.

Advice to Management

Keep putting your customers and your staff first. Keep nurturing talent and keep pushing that start-up ethos. Look after and reward your loyal employees as best you can and they will continue to repay you as best they can.

Holiday Extras2019-11-15
  5. "Good but pay is below average"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly people. Excellent profit sharing. Can work from home.

Cons

Pay is not transparent. Pay is always lowballed without any negotiation.

Holiday Extras2019-11-11
  6. "Warning"

Former Employee - Business

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexi hours Working from home

Cons

- HR are wholly ineffective - Most management are self-serving and do little to support - Huge pay discrepancy between management and employees - The company stifles individuality, wanting to create HX individuals rather than celebrate individual's talents and personalities

Advice to Management

1.Please take controlling and manipulative behaviour seriously. To this day i'm still in utter shock that this company have got away with so much. 2. Please listen to employees especially if they have taken the courage to speak out who are struggling and actually do something about it. 3. Please do not mould someone into something they are not because they don't fit in to their 'norm' or their 'click'. In order to... thrive as a business you need treat everyone equally and respect everyone's diverse characteristics.

Holiday Extras2019-12-01
  7. "Fantastic Benefits & Culture"

Current Employee - Recruitment Executive

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Holiday Extras benefits are fantastic and amongst them is our new Holiday Extras “Wanderlust Collection” which gives HX’ers paid and unpaid sabbaticals to reward long service, as well as the option to work from anywhere in the world for two weeks. I recently spent one week working remotely from the beautiful Italian city of Turin! My partner travels for work and often spends long stretches away from home, meaning... we don’t get to see as much of each other as we’d like. This benefit allowed me to spend some important time with my partner as well as giving me some all important space to get creative and really push ahead with some project work. One of the side effects of my “work and travel” experience was that through booking our products I got to experience them as a customer would. I booked my travel extras using our new app and was amazed to see the updates made since my last booking; no longer having to print passes for security fast track is an organisational win! I booked an airport hotel, hire car and travelled to the airport by train…. And felt I was able to give some really useful developmental feedback whilst I was away and when I returned on the products and reported some technical gremlins that were immediately resolved! Although it was a great experience, one of the biggest challenges for me was my concern around not being in the office. As someone who thrives off interaction with others I thought working in a hotel room was going to really affect my energy levels; boy was I wrong! Holiday Extras is a fantastic place to work as a remote worker, my colleagues made sure that every meeting was remote friendly opting for shared docs to input into rather than whiteboards; it felt like I was in the office…. Just with more sunshine and a stunning view of the alps from my room. I also conducted several interviews over video conference alongside my colleagues based in the wave, which was great as it reinforced to the candidates that we really do take advantage of the benefits we offer. I was in constant contact with the team and it was great to experience all of our usual events like team stand ups and our company all hands (shout out) which are all accessible by video conference or streamed live on workplace (our intranet). During the weekend, my partner and I took a trip to the Italian Riviera (using our Holiday Extras hire car) where we rented an airbnb in a beautiful fishing village right on the beach. This was a perfect way to kick off the trip, after arriving at 9.am on Friday and doing a full days work we loaded the car and headed to the coast! When we returned on the Sunday evening it felt like we’d been on a week mini break, and I was ready to work the rest of the week from the hotel. The week flew by with lots of tasks being ticked off the to-do list at lightning speed. I felt rejuvenated by the break and energised by the new surroundings, developing creative solutions to tasks and blockers whilst taking a wander around the city during my evenings exploring the tourist spots. HX “work and travel” is a fantastic benefit and I’d encourage everyone to use it if they can, it gives HX’ers a real insight into our products and our customers. And most importantly it enables you to make the most of your time, manage your energy and boost creativity!

Cons

I cant think of any that aren't being addressed... Just some advice I guess that will follow below.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, Holiday Extras is a remarkable place to work and if we keep innovating for our people and our customers the sky's the limit!

Holiday Extras2019-10-07
  8. "Don’t be fooled by gimmicks"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff are friendly Shift swaps Underpaid numerous occasions and never received it back

Cons

Awful management They claim to be fully supportive towards their staff however this is not the case at all. Outdated systems

Advice to Management

Instead of spending £100,000+ on ridiculous things such as tennis courts and ponds etc, perhaps reward staff with a pay increase or pay for more training days

Holiday Extras2019-10-04
  9. "Good"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work, good atmosphere and team

Cons

Sometimes they put too much pressure on people to obtain bookings without taking in how the calls you get are luck of the draw and not guaranteed

Advice to Management

Fix up

Holiday Extras2019-09-17

"Dreadful for progression and pay"

Former Employee - Staff in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly good work life balance depending on whether or not the manager likes you

Cons

Dreadful pay, zero chance of progression and bullying is rife. When I raised my concerns about being bullied to a senior manager, I was told to "Play her at her own game". I was in tears.

Holiday Extras2019-09-24