Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Remote and flexitime working; if you want to work from home you can and choose hours that suit you home life (in 13 reviews)

• The chance to personally develop through training is available and the flexibility of work-life balance is great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre (in 5 reviews)

• The hierachy in the business is really fluid (which also has it's good points) which makes career progression a tough prospect (in 3 reviews)

"Brilliant company to work for!"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday Extras helps you to become the best you can be, with lots of opportunities to progress within the call centre. It is a very positive company to work for with lots of fun events to involve everyone and you always feel supported and guided within your job role.

Cons

Full timers still work at least 1 day most weekends however we can work mobile so can work from home so this doesn't make this as bad

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones.
    HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped.
     HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated.
    It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff?
    Why are they losing key players and big personalities?
    Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work...
    Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport.
    The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad.
    Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

Advice to Management

Sort the CC out!

11 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised.
    As a fast-paced business there will always be... More

"The progressive image is largely an illusion"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Holiday Extras is what makes it awesome. During my time in the engineering team I met and worked with some great people. I got to attend conferences and learnt a lot.

The work life balance is pretty decent too. Flexible hours and opportunities for remote working.

Cons

You'll have little say in the product you build which is why the website looks like it does. Despite having some really talented UXUI designers and developers, the output is pretty is poor. This is entirely due to the top-down nature from the CEO/CPO.

He will override or cull almost all ideas, for example on one occasion after the team had spend weeks working on a design he sent a keynote with an extremely crude alternative and the instruction to "do that".

Sadly, the only product/design people who do well in the company are those willing to say "yes sir" and not voice an opinion, despite having more expertise.

The company claims to be agile but whilst they're bending to one person whim it never truly will be.

From a career development perspective your options are also extremely limited. Effectively your only options are to suck it up and deal with the low wage and lack of progression or leave.

Advice to Management

Value your staff and their expertise. MP take a step back and let your team do what you pay them to do.

Offer true career progression and pay what people are worth,

10 Oct 2017 – Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback.
    We agree that our CEO is hands-on. We're a family run business and we work with a visionary and creative CEO who is willing to roll his sleeves up and work alongside the... More

"Travel Consultant- a mixed experience."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

Pros

A positive atmosphere
    Nice building and grounds
    Two weeks training

Cons

Training overwhelming
    Targets hard to achieve - which can be stressful
    IT kit hard to find on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Provide an opportunity for participants to review training. Training is a big investment, one size doesn't fit all and there were too many tears and people leaving sooner than expected. I did mention this to my Buddy, line manager and HR person but nothing happened.
    Provide more support in the call centre. I know it's supposed to be there but the team managers can be very busy coaching and the help point has gone so you can look around for advice and really there is no one - this affects customers as well as stressing staff.
    Accept that calls are randomly distributed and not equally distributed- achievable goals are more motivating and less stressful.
    Ensure the IT kit is there ready for action - no more searching for box, mouse and keyboard. IT will support but seem puzzled that kit moves about. It moves because staff are trying to get the kit together to strat work - no other reason.
    I admit I was a square peg in a round hole here and I've never had that happen before - I wonder if it could have been different?

"Airport Call Centre"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Given own apple mac laptop, lots of benefits, and the training system at the start was very good.

Cons

Unrealistic targets, constantly being threatened about getting sacked from the company, have to deal with angry customers as the customer service team specialized in this department do not take on the calls so we are left to deal with it, unapproachable management, horrendous hours working until 11pm.

19 Sep 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry that you have some concerns and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you so we can understand them in more detail.

In response to some of the... More

"My honest review of how I see things"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Growth family run, treated like an individual, good support system.

Cons

Poor incentives, current unrealistic targets,recruitment needs looking at (hiring sales people rather than customer service driven) Unapproachable team management, only progress if "your face fits" Not enough praise given to staff where due.

Advice to Management

Inject more money into team incentives to motivate staff more. Break down the current teams in half. I believe the current management are not coping, they are going through a tick box process when it comes to coaching, but they dont have enough time to engage and motivate staff which should be part of their job. They spend too much time call auditing or in meetings and dont seem to be around enough. It has been noticed when certain people do step up for their teams they tend to be almost ignored. That person will never be approached or included in anything (including meetings or discussions about current team stats) therefore making them feel isolated and ignored. They are given the "stay on the floor while we go talk about grown up stuff" attitude!! when having discussed this with certain management in the past,i was advised that company couldnt justify another 3 manager (Yet we manage to pay large wages upstairs and not have to pay much out on incentives because no money is out in!)
    Even another 2 managers to improve the quality of current manager roles and workload would potentially be enough, but current managers are having to manage 20-25 people per week,i dont think this produces an efficient manager.

29 Aug 2017 – Associate People Director

We’re really sorry to read this feedback. We recently sent out our company-wide engagement survey - we hope you felt that you were able to feedback there. However, we’d like to understand more about... More

8. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Holiday Extras because I have been given every opportunity to develop in my career. Holiday Extras has helped me find what my skills and strengths are and helped me build plans to achieve what I'd like to achieve.

I love the culture, I love the work, I love the building and I love the team.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any downsides. HX HQ is out of town, but there are good public transport links if you don't drive (and you can work remotely).

"Shortbreaks Call Centre"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smeeth, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smeeth, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Supportive environment with good opportunities to progress and get on in the team or in other teams around the business if thats what you want. Recognition is always readily available for a job well done so you want to do your best as you know it wont go unnoticed. Good benefits, especially if you are in the call centre.

Cons

Equipment (computers etc) is sometimes not up to standard.

Advice to Management

Keep recognising people as it drives them to do even better.

"Shortbreaks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing support and hard working teams, flexible working hours, Family orientated for a work/life balance and continued support to progress.
    Rewarded for hard work and dedication with a lot of FOOD!
    Regard for wellbeing

Cons

i need to go to the gym to shift the cake!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff as usual and implement ideas.

11. ""Shortbreaks Is The Place To Be!"

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Smeeth, England
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Smeeth, England

Pros

I have been working In Shortbreaks for 5yrs. They are an outstanding company to work for, who look after us in every way. There's plenty of opportunity for progression within the company if you work hard. They have a great Work/Life ethic and great benefits!
    I look forward to going to work everyday, I love my work family!

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say, The people are lovely, the environment/surroundings we work in are beautiful. I am very lucky to work in such a fantastic place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!