Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Pros
  • Even get the chance to work from home and flexible working hours to suit your needs (in 11 reviews)

• when you work at Holiday Extras (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The hierachy in the business is really fluid (which also has it's good points) which makes career progression a tough prospect (in 3 reviews)

• Would love the senior management to spend some time doing our work so they know the problems we have to overcome (in 3 reviews)

1. "Just great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* I can discuss so many pros of working here! The culture is to work hard in an enjoyable atmosphere, with colleagues who (On the whole) embrace change and are keen to improve and develop - leading to a fairly fast paced atmosphere that is fun and lively.
    * I have never worked somewhere that is as flexible and supportive; I work part-time and am able to flex my hours to suit my family and other commitments, with no fuss. The level of trust is just great.

Cons

* Salaries are not the best but more than made up for by work-life balance and working atmosphere.
    * Can be difficult in regards to career progression, options are limited in my area but not necessarily in all areas within the business. However, I have managed to expand my role and responsibilities as I identified I wanted more challenge. You are given the opportunity to step up.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with messages and strategy and how this is shared to the workforce.

2. "Contact Centre Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager
    Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is fantastic and has a clear identity, outlined by it's recently revamped values. I've always felt a part of the HX family from my first day and this is a key contributor to their continued successes. The support network is fantastic and there is plenty of room for progression if you're willing to work hard and seek out your opportunities. The business invests heavily in it's people and is dedicated to promote internally and offering out a number of secondments for members of staff within my time here. The addition of the new building shows the ambitions of the company and I feel that all the top level managers are committed to making us the best we can be.

Cons

The main reason why I've given this a 4* rating overall and not 5* is that I feel the salary isn't fairly reflected for the level of work in my role. Team sizes have grown far too big in the past, and this is something that the business has identified and committed to not wanting it to get to those levels again, which I hope they see through.

Advice to Management

Continue doing all the things that make us a fantastic environment to work in and keep improving the communication lines. The recent work of David Norris is commendable and has brought many positive changes. I would also encourage them to re-visit their pay for staff that are promoted internally, as there isn't much in the way of success criteria to move up to a new pay band etc.

3. "Forward thinking"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

Pros

A great company to work for. Very supportive of employee needs and are constantly looking for ways to develop the business. Regular incentives and social events. Home working catered for after satisfactory performance is proved and maintained.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a bit of a struggle to book holiday, due to the need to maintain a base level of service for customers. Not really a con, but I have found it a struggle in the past to book a particular period of time off in advance for a family holiday.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great people, great culture. New director of tech driving change. 10% time to work on what you want. Flexible hours, work from home. Exciting new brand and approach to product happening currently.

Cons

Sometimes lacks clear leadership, but improving in this area. Somewhat of a "everything is awesome" attitude, in most ways merited but gets in the way on the couple of things that really need work. Designer to engineer ratio is poor. Physical workspace (open plan) isn't great. Lots of legacy and technical debt, although now being managed much better.

6. "Great, vibrant company to work for"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Flexible working, progression available, employee surveys, people's skills are utilised well, opportunities to develop can be organic

Cons

Hot desking doesn't work for everyone, sometimes top down communication is poor

Advice to Management

Make more coaching resources available for employees to troubleshoot

7. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Holiday Extras (More than 8 years)

Pros

Their Anytime+ flexible working policy allows me to balance home and work.

Cons

None that I can think of

23 Nov 2016 – Associate People Director

Thanks for your review. We're really proud of our approach to flexible working and have worked hard to make it a success. Knowing that it helps you strike the right balance with your home life is ... More

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

Pros

If you manage to put up with managers prancing around constantly talking about themselves and how great they are and how great their little work family is long enough, you will become like them; then you will be a manager.

Cons

The whole company is built on cons and smoke and mirrors, people there are brainwashed robots ripping people off that don't know what the reality is,

Advice to Management

Stop being so self-righteous; you are not that great in the real world all get off your egotistical power trips.

23 Nov 2016 – Associate People Director

Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you feel this way and would really like the chance to discuss this with you further if you're able to get in touch with us at ... More

9. "Super place to work"

Current Employee - Executive in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Executive in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely team, great coffee, friendly environment, lovely open plan office, good career opportunities and opportunities to stretch yourself if you like to be challenged! Supportive management.

Cons

A small number of people who work here don't realise how good they have got it and the hard work people put in around the business.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! :)

10. "Very Good Company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, work hard/play hard, good benefits, profit share

Cons

High expectations, sometime difficult to get work/life balance

23 Nov 2016 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review - we're glad to hear you enjoy working here!

11. "Travel consultant"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great teams. Great management. Fantastic environment to work in.

Cons

Bonus very low compared to other sales roles. Lack of space for people to do their job but this is due to change due to new building.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

23 Nov 2016 – Associate People Director

We're so pleased you love the team and the environment! We're excited for the new building to go up - it will be another great workspace to reflect what we already have. We've grown so much over the ... More