Holiday Extras Reviews

Found 197 of over 204 reviews

3.7
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Great Team ethic and flexible working philosophy(in 30 reviews)

• "I still remember reading these reviews before applying to Holiday Extras and how much of an impression they made on me(in 30 reviews)

• Cons
  • "HX seriously needs to hire more POC - the entire company seems 95% white(in 24 reviews)

• "Treated worse than dirt if youre in the call centre(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Account management

Nov 20, 2021 - Partnerships in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team ethic and flexible working philosophy.

Cons

Not many disadvantages to mention

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fast paced role

Jan 9, 2022 - Senior FP in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, work life balance, modern working facilities.

Cons

No real downsides, lovely environment to work.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Can’t fault them

Oct 19, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very flexible, family values, interesting work, fun, great community, good communication.

Cons

None I am aware of

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good company

Oct 19, 2021 - Software Engineer in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Don’t have any cons. Don’t have any cons

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

good

Sep 24, 2021 - Guest Experience Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

the pay is good yes

Cons

nothing is a con at the moment

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Poor pay and discrimination

Oct 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s taken me over a year to write this but I’m now in an objective place to do so. When it was at its best, HX was a truly great place to work. Lovely colleagues, great benefits, very flexible and a real family feel. That’s what made it so horrendous during Covid and the redundancies that followed.

Cons

Moving past that, I was there five years and in that time received one actual pay rise after continued complaints to my manager - never even received inflation in all that time despite hitting all my goals and doing way more than my job description. What I did get were “benchmark” increases - proving I was paid way below the going rate for my role. I also had a feeling I was underpaid compared to my male counterparts but could never prove it; until the redundancy when I just flat out asked and found I was right. Despite little difference in our time there, experience and performance reviews, my salary was 75% of what theirs was. Being off on maternity for 8 months was mentioned as a possible reason why, which in itself is illegal but still doesn't explain such a large difference in pay. Not only that, when I experienced sexual harassment at a work event, the response from management was to go "feedback" to the men in question myself. No other support or help was given. Honestly being made redundant was the best thing to happen to most people - we're all finally in jobs that actually pay us what we're worth.

9 people found this review helpful

Holiday Extras Response

Thank you for your review. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace and do not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any shape or form. We have clear and robust pay principles to ensure we pay everyone fairly, including those on parental leave. Due to the seriousness of your feedback, we’d like the opportunity to speak to you further and understand more. If you feel comfortable, please contact me at mclarkecowell@holidayextras.com, or any of the People Team with your preferred method of communication and we will get back to you ASAP. We really hope that you are able to get in touch. If we don’t hear from you, however, we wish you all the best for the future.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Almost gave up my long career as a Software Engineer after working at Holiday Extras.

Oct 2, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, can't think of anything else.

Cons

Holiday Extras is one of the worst kinds of places to work at. Everybody is smiling and acting friendly to get you to believe that they are there to support you and to create this "We are one family" atmosphere. However, everything is absolutely FAKE. When I first started, I was told that I will be supported in learning and progressing further in my career. However, their progression/feedback system doesn't really allow for much progression, especially if you don't know the right people there. Basically, every three months they do 360 degrees reviews where your team members have to give feedback on how well you've done and what you can improve on. I really don't mind constructive feedback. However, this constant peer feedback promotes competitiveness and toxicity amongst everyone. Every single small mistake you make will end up on at least one of your feedback forms and hence on your progress report. And of course, will hamper your progression. This very slowly ruined my confidence as a Software Engineer completely. And the worst thing is that it happened so slowly and unnoticeably that I ended up thinking that it's all me, that everyone else is really nice and that maybe I am not good enough in whatever I was doing. On top of that, I got bullied by a team member. And when I informed my manager, all she said was "Oh well but she's been with us for a long time now and she is a very good developer." And when things got tough during Covid and redundancies had to be made, they were like "Oh we care about all of you. We will create an alumni Facebook group and as soon as things get better, you will be the first to be re-hired." That was, of course, a BIG FAT LIE! None of us - the people who were made redundant and who have been loyal to them for years was hired back. Honestly, being made redundant by Holiday Extras was one of the best things that could have happened to me. It took me a while to gain my confidence back but I am really happy now in my current company. It's nice to feel appreciated.

4 people found this review helpful

Holiday Extras Response

Thank you for your review. Fostering an authentic culture where everyone feels valued, included and recognised is a priority to us. We’d therefore like the opportunity to speak to you in more detail regarding your comments about bullying, as we do not tolerate this in any form at Holiday Extras. If you are comfortable doing so, please contact me at mclarkecowell@holidayextras.com or any of the People Team with your preferred method of communication and we will get back to you ASAP. We’d also like to talk to you about your experience of our 360 feedback process. The intention of asking for peer support is to provide a broad spectrum of feedback to help each person develop and progress. The feedback is centred around the person’s strengths as well as their areas of development so that it is balanced and provides clear areas of focus for growth. The process takes place every 6 months - you mention that for you, it occurred more frequently, so we’d like to discuss this in more detail with you. In reference to your points about the restructuring process - due to the impact that Covid had on our industry, we were devastated to have to make people redundant. As part of our recovery, however, we have openly shared opportunities to rejoin our team via the alumni group and have made a number of re-hires as a result. We really hope that you are able to get in touch to further explore the points raised in your review. If we don’t hear from you however, we wish you all the best for the future.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

A good place to start your career and gain knowledge and professional experience.

Jul 16, 2021 - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working environment, positive and inclusive company culture.

Cons

Not so clear career progression opportunities.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Sad times

Jul 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic colleagues that make every day worth while.

Cons

When the going was good everyone was equal, when it started becoming difficult, only those who’s faces fit remained regardless of your commitment or length of service.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Jun 28, 2021 - Marketing Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, good management and positive environment

Cons

Recent downsizing due to pandemic's affect on travel

Viewing 1 - 10 of 197 Reviews