Holiday Extras Reviews

Updated 19 Jun 2020

4.1
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 25 reviews)

• "Holiday Extras make considerable effort to try and create a work environment that helps their employees thrive(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call centre very separate to the rest of the company(in 9 reviews)

• "However holiday extras rely on thier middle management too much to rely important information when this doesn’t in reality happen(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Staff Benefits, colleagues, low staff turnover, great work environment

Cons

Pay in some departments lower compared to other roles in area

2. "Fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - PPC Executive in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working together attitude, feels like a family with great initiatives. Well organised from the top down, and senior leadership team really care about every employee

Cons

Not really any downsides, maybe pay slightly less than average

"There needs to be more companies like this"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Specialist in Smeeth, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the events, the company values, benefits are great and they stay ahead of the curve in employee wellbeing

Cons

lack of forks in the kitchen at lunchtime is my only complaint most days

4. "A company that cares"

5.0
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Xompetative rates of pay, bonus you can work towards, supportive team, work benefits and discount schemes with outside partnerships. They put on alot of events for staff. Company really do care about their people and their wellbeing. Flexible work available for remote workers.

Cons

The work can be repetitive, with no breaks inbetween. Constant weekend and evening work for all part time workers is difficult to work around your family. Everything is done via technology, sometimes you feel like you will never physically have a face-to-face conversation again.

Continue reading
  5. "The best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Manager

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other. They treat you like an adult and as a result it's easy to want to work hard and give back.

Cons

Thinking that I can think of

Continue reading
  6. "Holiday Extras Review"

5.0
    Current Employee - Email Marketing in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is fantastic, there is very rarely a bad day at work.

Cons

Pay is sometimes an issue in comparison to other companies for the same roles.

Continue reading
  7. "Top Company Who Make a Real Effort"

Current Employee - SEO Lead in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Holiday Extras make considerable effort to try and create a work environment that helps their employees thrive. They dedicate considerable resource into the welfare of their staff, trying to keep them as happy and engaged as possible with multiple initiatives focused around communication, development, reward and progression. A profit share scheme, Birthday's as holiday, company parties, flexible working hours, personal Macbooks, the ability to work from home, BBQ's and various fun little event's throughout the year, company benefits, long-service paid sabbaticals - these things all make for quite a generous package. There is an onus on encouraging employees to 'buy in' to the company and wanting to contribute as best as possible - wanting to drive success. There is plenty of give from Holiday Extras and they hope their employees want to give back. It's an approach that puts a responsibility on you. If you're the sort of person who embraces this, there is a freedom in many roles at Holiday Extras which really encourages initiative, creativity and productivity. The genuine pride in this company held by many of the senior staff is evident here. This is the quality control that runs through it and it is likewise adopted by a great many of it's employees .

Cons

I honestly think it would be unreasonable to post any cons here. In a company this size, it's impossible to make everything run absolutely perfectly and to keep everybody happy, but the steer from the top - the policies, the ethos and the effort in executing as much of this as possible, is spot on.

Continue reading
  8. "Good but pay is below average"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly people. Excellent profit sharing. Can work from home.

Cons

Pay is not transparent. Pay is always lowballed without any negotiation.

November 21, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear your comments about the friendliness of the team. It’s really important to our culture that we communicate in a way which is human, helpful and friendly - to each other and our customers. It’s also fantastic to hear that you have a good work-life balance - this is what we strive for and is at the heart of who we are and everything we do. Through our approach to things like flexible working, we want to empower our teams to have careers that work for them. While you see our profit share bonus as a positive, we’re sorry to read the rest of your comments about our pay processes. Over the last few years we have made strides towards greater transparency so that everyone is confident and informed about how pay decisions are made. Through feedback received in our last Engagement Check-in, we recognise the need to do more however, which is why we’re making further changes this year so that people have a better understanding of their total reward package and their future earning potential. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review. We hope you were able to share your feedback in our very recent Engagement Check-in but you do speak to your manager or someone in my team if you’d prefer a conversation. You can also feed-back and ask questions at the Head of Tech Delivery’s AMA (Ask Me Anything) monthly sessions.

"Warning"

1.0
    Former Employee - Business

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexi hours Working from home

Cons

- HR are wholly ineffective - Most management are self-serving and do little to support - Huge pay discrepancy between management and employees - The company stifles individuality, wanting to create HX individuals rather than celebrate individual's talents and personalities

December 4, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you feel this way and this is not the experience we want people to have. I’d really like the opportunity to speak with you to understand more about the points raised in your review. If you’re able to get in touch to arrange the best way to speak, my email is kwakeman@holidayextras.com. It’s important to us that we create an environment where people can be themselves so they can thrive. We’re proud of our diverse team and want everyone to feel that they can wear their uniqueness with pride. I’m not sure when you left but we recently held a company-wide Diversity and Inclusion Workshop for people to share stories and identify how we can make Holiday Extras an even more inclusive place to work. The Workshop was open to all HXers as we believe that each and everyone of us has a part to play in shaping the culture and environment. The input and commitment from across the business has been fantastic and we’re excited to see the impact this has. While we are undertaking this work, we always want to hear how we can do better. So I do hope you get in touch as I’d like to learn more about your experience. If I don’t hear from you, I’d like to thank you again for your feedback and I wish you all the best for the future.

10. "Fantastic Benefits & Culture"

Current Employee - Recruitment Executive

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Holiday Extras benefits are fantastic and amongst them is our new Holiday Extras “Wanderlust Collection” which gives HX’ers paid and unpaid sabbaticals to reward long service, as well as the option to work from anywhere in the world for two weeks. I recently spent one week working remotely from the beautiful Italian city of Turin! My partner travels for work and often spends long stretches away from home, meaning we don’t get to see as much of each other as we’d like. This benefit allowed me to spend some important time with my partner as well as giving me some all important space to get creative and really push ahead with some project work. One of the side effects of my “work and travel” experience was that through booking our products I got to experience them as a customer would. I booked my travel extras using our new app and was amazed to see the updates made since my last booking; no longer having to print passes for security fast track is an organisational win! I booked an airport hotel, hire car and travelled to the airport by train…. And felt I was able to give some really useful developmental feedback whilst I was away and when I returned on the products and reported some technical gremlins that were immediately resolved! Although it was a great experience, one of the biggest challenges for me was my concern around not being in the office. As someone who thrives off interaction with others I thought working in a hotel room was going to really affect my energy levels; boy was I wrong! Holiday Extras is a fantastic place to work as a remote worker, my colleagues made sure that every meeting was remote friendly opting for shared docs to input into rather than whiteboards; it felt like I was in the office…. Just with more sunshine and a stunning view of the alps from my room. I also conducted several interviews over video conference alongside my colleagues based in the wave, which was great as it reinforced to the candidates that we really do take advantage of the benefits we offer. I was in constant contact with the team and it was great to experience all of our usual events like team stand ups and our company all hands (shout out) which are all accessible by video conference or streamed live on workplace (our intranet). During the weekend, my partner and I took a trip to the Italian Riviera (using our Holiday Extras hire car) where we rented an airbnb in a beautiful fishing village right on the beach. This was a perfect way to kick off the trip, after arriving at 9.am on Friday and doing a full days work we loaded the car and headed to the coast! When we returned on the Sunday evening it felt like we’d been on a week mini break, and I was ready to work the rest of the week from the hotel. The week flew by with lots of tasks being ticked off the to-do list at lightning speed. I felt rejuvenated by the break and energised by the new surroundings, developing creative solutions to tasks and blockers whilst taking a wander around the city during my evenings exploring the tourist spots. HX “work and travel” is a fantastic benefit and I’d encourage everyone to use it if they can, it gives HX’ers a real insight into our products and our customers. And most importantly it enables you to make the most of your time, manage your energy and boost creativity!

Cons

I cant think of any that aren't being addressed... Just some advice I guess that will follow below.

October 22, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your review. It was fantastic to read about your travels! Our belief is that time is precious and holidays are the most precious time we have. This is why we launched our Wanderlust benefits collection last year to help HXers live every experience to the full, whether it’s at work or in their personal lives. We’re hugely proud of these benefits and the difference they make to people. It’s great to hear how you embraced our Work and Travel benefit (especially in a beautiful country like Italy!). It’s wonderful to hear that it enabled you to spend more time with your partner and make new memories together - that’s what it’s all about! We know that travelling can help inspire and offer people new perspectives - in all sorts of ways as you experienced. We love how you used this time to step into the shoes of a customer; only by doing this can we truly understand their needs and transform the way that people travel. We’re privileged to have such a dedicated and passionate team to help make this happen. With our growing community of people working remotely and our approach to flexible working, it’s vital that we are set-up for success. We have invested in tech and communication tools as well as adopting different working practices so that people’s experiences are the same no matter where they are. It requires a different mindset and approach but we’re committed to this in order to create a new future for how we work. We are always learning, so get in touch if you’ve identified throughout your travels anything more we can do. Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback...and next time, send us a postcard! :)

Found 148 reviews