Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Remote and flexitime working; if you want to work from home you can and choose hours that suit you home life (in 13 reviews)

• The work life balance is pretty decent too (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre (in 7 reviews)

• The hierachy in the business is really fluid (which also has it's good points) which makes career progression a tough prospect (in 3 reviews)

"Brilliant company to work for!"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday Extras helps you to become the best you can be, with lots of opportunities to progress within the call centre. It is a very positive company to work for with lots of fun events to involve everyone and you always feel supported and guided within your job role.

Cons

Full timers still work at least 1 day most weekends however we can work mobile so can work from home so this doesn't make this as bad

"Pound signs! Not people!"

Current Employee - Contact Center Agent in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun days, The contact centre staff, Bonus structure

Cons

Time off the phones for fun days, Managers, Call quality measures, favouritism

Advice to Management

Please Read this with a open mind,
     I am currently working here at Holiday extras and I want to tell you how I really feel about this company as I feel like I cannot talk to any managers here.
     At first you will be greeted with all these happy images on the website or around the building of people smiling, laughing and having coffee and chats and meetings while seeming really relaxed and really enjoying themselves, I have news for you this will not be you if you work in the contact centre you will have none of this as you will not be off or allowed off the phones to do any of this, This is managed by the excuse the contact centre is too busy and they cannot afford to have people off the phones, Forget that they have a small percentage working from home who could cover these periods.
     Picture the contact centre like one of these old ships you see on the films where there are 100 people rowing a huge ship and there is someone cracking that whip to make you go faster! well that sums it up pretty much!
     Lets Talk about management or lack of I should say, The management skills are sham, They are non approachable and even if you wanted to approach one of them there is not one to be found as they are always in meeting's, Heaven knows what they are meeting about as nothing appears to change!
    The call guide has so many flaws in it the it should be scraped and thrown away never to be seen again, Its inconsistent and full of hot air and waffle, Basically its scored by your manager that deems if it is worthy of rapport building or not, This coming from managers that do not build rapport with there own staff.
    Basically your seen as a pound sign and not a person! but the contact centre will not see it like that as the company boasts so many accolades and all these pictures of staff smiling and happy (there not the ones in the contact centre!)
    Favouritism is rife within the contact centre as I have spoken to members off staff and they have said " my manager just passed me on my on boarding as I know them well or they took pity on me" Well if you want to pass your probation befriend your manager and life will be as easy as anything, I mean I have seen some really good people let go or left as a result of this but the managers heads are buried somewhere else to notice this!
     On a good note I must say that Mr Pack is great as someone so important will take the time to come say hi and get to know you and that makes me feel like a valued employee and seems to know me more than my manager does so thank you Mr Pack,
    I have many friends here and thats what keeps me hear but as a result I don't think I could face anymore time with a company that will let good people go because they will not address this issue.
    On a whole my time may be up and that upsets me as I heard great things about this company its just a shame that it does not deliver on the values.

"Upsetting targets and monthly worry"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice parties, average benefits compared to other companies. Nice events from time to time, lovely if you happen to be involved in them.

Cons

I didn’t want to write this review as I’ve remained optimistic for positive change. I’ve come to a conclusion it’s now beyond repair.

They really want to expand the business but don’t sort out the problems they have currently first, CC staff mental well-being being the main one and the way they target phone staff. This site is full of the same stories :-( With bullying claims recently, it’s just so sad to see a place I once loved become so lifeless.

They claim to be a “30 year old company thinking like a start-up”, with the extremely out of date targets in the CC, it’s not exactly thinking like a millennial-company. It’s very poor. There is no incentive to up-sell or be a great sales ambassador as there’s no bonus that’s actually achievable.

Who targets staff on customers options on a phone menu when customers press wrong options to get through quicker? This impacts CC agents overall monthly performance. The poor staff on the receiving end of this. You are not thinking like a startup. Think of actual accurate targets, it’s honestly not that hard. Being told everyone in same situation is not being pioneering in spirit.

The company receives too many wrong number calls into their CC, phone agents being victim to this affecting their monthly performance which is very upsetting. Again, the company refuses to rule these out at all. And of course, you guessed it, this is the phone agent’s fault!!

CC Managers turn off their instant chat or set to not-available, frustrating when needing help with a call. Quick to moan when agents haven’t hit a target though. I’ve heard agents and Home workers say they just don’t message them anymore.

So many of the CC staff feel drained after a shift, it used to be a fun environment and a second home but now it’s the complete opposite.

Anonymous feedback system needed urgently for the CC. People are scared of the outcome of speaking out or emailing People Team about what’s upsetting them because it’s got so bad. Buzz sessions won’t resolve the issues.

Only those not on the phone in the CC have a positive word to say. Let sort this mess out once and for all?

Advice to Management

Serious work needs to be done, try understand people have feelings and sort out how many targets CC has. Too strict and old fashioned. Be the future and lead the way HX before it’s too late.

8 Jan 2018 – Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry that you feel this way and would like the chance to speak in more detail about some of the points raised in your review. Please don’t feel that you can’t... More

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones.
    HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped.
     HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated.
    It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff?
    Why are they losing key players and big personalities?
    Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work...
    Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport.
    The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad.
    Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

Advice to Management

Sort the CC out!

11 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised.
    As a fast-paced business there will always be... More

"Sales specialist shortbreaks"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Smeeth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Smeeth, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free use an Apple MacBook although they’re usually really old model

Cons

The call centre is regarded as the bottom rung of the ladder. You get timed going to the toilet and if you take more than 4 minutes on of the female team leaders literally screams at you for taking to long and to get back to work in front of your entire colleagues
    You get excluded from any of the bbq or fun stuff during your shift. You will rarely & in some cases never get to go to the weekly team briefings which is bizarre as you’re the only direct customer role so should know the changes to the websites before the customers?!!! However holiday extras rely on thier middle management too much to rely important information when this doesn’t in reality happen
    If your face fits you will be fine but for most you just get bullied work long miserable shifts and lose your self belief
    Don’t work there unless you’re not in a call centre role

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the bullying. Alot of people state this as the reason for leaving yet you still allow it to continue

"The progressive image is largely an illusion"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Holiday Extras is what makes it awesome. During my time in the engineering team I met and worked with some great people. I got to attend conferences and learnt a lot.

The work life balance is pretty decent too. Flexible hours and opportunities for remote working.

Cons

You'll have little say in the product you build which is why the website looks like it does. Despite having some really talented UXUI designers and developers, the output is pretty is poor. This is entirely due to the top-down nature from the CEO/CPO.

He will override or cull almost all ideas, for example on one occasion after the team had spend weeks working on a design he sent a keynote with an extremely crude alternative and the instruction to "do that".

Sadly, the only product/design people who do well in the company are those willing to say "yes sir" and not voice an opinion, despite having more expertise.

The company claims to be agile but whilst they're bending to one person whim it never truly will be.

From a career development perspective your options are also extremely limited. Effectively your only options are to suck it up and deal with the low wage and lack of progression or leave.

Advice to Management

Value your staff and their expertise. MP take a step back and let your team do what you pay them to do.

Offer true career progression and pay what people are worth,

10 Oct 2017 – Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback.
    We agree that our CEO is hands-on. We're a family run business and we work with a visionary and creative CEO who is willing to roll his sleeves up and work alongside the... More

"Travel Consultant- a mixed experience."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

Pros

A positive atmosphere
    Nice building and grounds
    Two weeks training

Cons

Training overwhelming
    Targets hard to achieve - which can be stressful
    IT kit hard to find on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Provide an opportunity for participants to review training. Training is a big investment, one size doesn't fit all and there were too many tears and people leaving sooner than expected. I did mention this to my Buddy, line manager and HR person but nothing happened.
    Provide more support in the call centre. I know it's supposed to be there but the team managers can be very busy coaching and the help point has gone so you can look around for advice and really there is no one - this affects customers as well as stressing staff.
    Accept that calls are randomly distributed and not equally distributed- achievable goals are more motivating and less stressful.
    Ensure the IT kit is there ready for action - no more searching for box, mouse and keyboard. IT will support but seem puzzled that kit moves about. It moves because staff are trying to get the kit together to strat work - no other reason.
    I admit I was a square peg in a round hole here and I've never had that happen before - I wonder if it could have been different?

"Airport Call Centre"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Given own apple mac laptop, lots of benefits, and the training system at the start was very good.

Cons

Unrealistic targets, constantly being threatened about getting sacked from the company, have to deal with angry customers as the customer service team specialized in this department do not take on the calls so we are left to deal with it, unapproachable management, horrendous hours working until 11pm.

19 Sep 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry that you have some concerns and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you so we can understand them in more detail.

In response to some of the... More

"My honest review of how I see things"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Growth family run, treated like an individual, good support system.

Cons

Poor incentives, current unrealistic targets,recruitment needs looking at (hiring sales people rather than customer service driven) Unapproachable team management, only progress if "your face fits" Not enough praise given to staff where due.

Advice to Management

Inject more money into team incentives to motivate staff more. Break down the current teams in half. I believe the current management are not coping, they are going through a tick box process when it comes to coaching, but they dont have enough time to engage and motivate staff which should be part of their job. They spend too much time call auditing or in meetings and dont seem to be around enough. It has been noticed when certain people do step up for their teams they tend to be almost ignored. That person will never be approached or included in anything (including meetings or discussions about current team stats) therefore making them feel isolated and ignored. They are given the "stay on the floor while we go talk about grown up stuff" attitude!! when having discussed this with certain management in the past,i was advised that company couldnt justify another 3 manager (Yet we manage to pay large wages upstairs and not have to pay much out on incentives because no money is out in!)
    Even another 2 managers to improve the quality of current manager roles and workload would potentially be enough, but current managers are having to manage 20-25 people per week,i dont think this produces an efficient manager.

29 Aug 2017 – Associate People Director

We’re really sorry to read this feedback. We recently sent out our company-wide engagement survey - we hope you felt that you were able to feedback there. However, we’d like to understand more about... More

11. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Holiday Extras because I have been given every opportunity to develop in my career. Holiday Extras has helped me find what my skills and strengths are and helped me build plans to achieve what I'd like to achieve.

I love the culture, I love the work, I love the building and I love the team.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any downsides. HX HQ is out of town, but there are good public transport links if you don't drive (and you can work remotely).