Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 136 reviews

3.9
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "I love working at Holiday Extras because I have been given every opportunity to develop in my career(in 22 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call centre very separate to the rest of the company(in 9 reviews)

• "I am very lucky to work in such a fantastic place(in 6 reviews)

"The best CEO ever!"

Former Employee - Team Leader/Travel Consultant in Ash, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Values driven work culture,, fantastic benefits, profit share each quarter, monthly coaching and 121’s, free parking, teas, coffees, weekly business updates via “Shout out,” beautiful outdoor space to work and play, working from home. CEO MATT PACK is an amazing human being. Compassionate, kind and genuine. He has an open door policy and he listens. He is the “do right man!” A true leader whom I will never forget... and had the privilege to work for.

Cons

I can honestly say there are no Cons for me. They always strive to be better.

Advice to Management

Show more care and compassion to those people who are truly vulnerable and deserving of being heard. There is no “one size fits all!” Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. Be courageous and speak to your hierarchy about individual situations and circumstances. Your lack of compassion can have disastrous consequences.

Holiday Extras2019-08-11
  2. "Good"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work, good atmosphere and team

Cons

Sometimes they put too much pressure on people to obtain bookings without taking in how the calls you get are luck of the draw and not guaranteed

Advice to Management

Fix up

Holiday Extras2019-09-17
  3. "Great company perks and ethos"

Current Employee - Partnerships Marketing Executive in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits, good ethos. Good rewards such as parties, bbqs etc

Cons

Too nice, often have people working for them that aren’t good at their job and don’t do anything about it. Salaries are not competitive.

Holiday Extras2019-09-02

"Great company to work for"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote working Nice people Nurturing culture

Cons

Salary lower than market average

Advice to Management

To the board and more senior management - let go of the reins a bit more. You’ve got extremely smart and talented employees who can make good decisions. It can be demoralising when you are an expert in a certain field to be told how to do your job. I’m not speaking for myself, but on behalf of colleagues. Pay better wages to retain your better employees.

Holiday Extras2019-07-28
  5. "Great"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, supportive, flexible, friendly, great summer bbq and great parties, really look after their employees.

Cons

Inefficiency at times with long drawn out processes.

Advice to Management

Reduce the form filling and hundreds of different processes for different products please.

Holiday Extras2019-07-16

"Good place to work if you like BBQs and not much else"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great community feel to the business people are very supportive, BBQ's, - it can be a fun place to work but HX rely heavily on the 'fun' bit to keep you in the business.

Cons

there is a divide between the Contact Centre and the rest of the business which is a shame as without the CC there would no HX - which leads to my next point, low salary (a good bonus scheme in place) but it always feels like they try to avoid paying bonus where possible. To progress in the business is the biggest challenge - Holiday Extras are growing and to push that further they look for talent externally when... actually there is plenty of talent sitting the office bored because they aren't challenged.

Advice to Management

Wake up to the idea that people want to come to work, feel valued and go home knowing they did a good job and benefitted the business. Move away from a low basic salary with a bonus structure to a reasonable salary with no bonus and just profit share - evidence shows that it creates a less stressful environment which improves wellbeing and productivity and develop and nurture the talent you have in the business... before going externally, lift people, push them to drive their career forward.

Holiday Extras2019-05-22
  7. "Good company to work for"

I worked at Holiday Extras part-time

Pros

Felixble working Great team atmosphere

Cons

Change of opening hours affected a lot of staff

Holiday Extras2019-04-10
  8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits Friendly staff Lovely building and location Flexible working Bonus scheme

Cons

Uneven progression structure in some teams

Holiday Extras2019-03-26
  9. "I miss it!"

Former Employee - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great career progression - if you're willing to work for it. I began in the Contact Center and worked my way up to the SEO team. I worked hard in order to move up, but I'd argue that's exactly how it should be. What's more I felt my hard work was rewarded. I always felt like I was trusted in my role, which makes a huge difference to work output. Your ideas are always listened to, and if possible, people give you... that opportunity to make it happen. In addition, HX genuinely cares about it's employees - both in their working and personal lives. I really miss HX and really enjoyed my time with the company.

Cons

Having started in the Contact Center, I know how tough that area of the business can be in comparison to the rest of the business due to the nature of the work however I do think that they are treated far better than other people in the same line of work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - keep pushing the values, maintain the culture as best you can and keep looking for ways to treat your staff because happy staff definitely makes for a successful company.

Holiday Extras2018-12-28
  10. "Fun, challenging and friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked here for three years now and have no intention of leaving. Holiday Extras is the best company I've worked for due to the great atmosphere and culture they work hard to create. It's a fun place to work with all the extras they give you (BBQs, birthdays off, constant treats and rewards) but that's a small part of why I love it here. Whilst it's fun, there's no shortage of hard work and challenging... targets to meet which stretch and get the best out of you. They work hard to make sure you're on the right career path and will assist in any training or support you need to succeed. There are so many departments that you can easily try out another career path on a secondment if you're curious. They've just completed a fantastic new building and facilities including showers which shows they're dedicated to improving and supporting staff. They're incredibly family friendly. Having just come back from Maternity Leave, I was worried asking for reduced hours and more flexibility in terms of needing to work from home or leave if the kids were sick but their Anytime Anywhere policy means I can just catch up out of hours and leave immediately if necessary. I've never had a problem with any discrimination due to being a mother - if anything I'm actually given a lot more freedom to do what I need!

Cons

They're still working on the pay structure and clarity around that, but it's improved in the past few months. As with any company there are the usual problems with certain individuals and management styles but overall these get addressee quickly if they're really issues. As the company is growing, the culture is unfortunately getting diluted so that's something everyone needs to work hard at to keep.

Advice to Management

Listen to your experts, keep pushing us to succeed and continue working on the pathways work to clarify salaries and progression.

Holiday Extras2018-12-28