Ocado Technology Reviews

Found 241 of over 259 reviews

4.2
Ocado Technology CEO James Matthews
James Matthews
Pros
  • "Cutting edge technology and fun people(in 14 reviews)

• "Very relaxed working environment(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There aren't enough parking spots at the head-office in Hatfield for the size of the building(in 9 reviews)

• "No bonuses, no work from home policy, anachronistic management in Ocado Group which affects Ocado Tech as well(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Probably the best company to work for during the 2020s

9 Nov 2020 - Software Engineering Team Lead in Sofia
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great culture - "There are no dumb questions", "Everyone makes mistakes", "Make it work, then make it pretty", "Challenges are well accepted" * Visible Impact from the work that you're doing - On many of the projects the CEO and other high-level management are recognising the work that you're doing. * Great people work here - passionate and motivated to achieve great results!

Cons

* I can't think of cons at the moment.

5 people found this review helpful

Communications Associate

What a great review! We're incredibly pleased to see employees loving their work. Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.

2. 5.0

Great place to work

17 Jun 2021 - Data Analyst in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment to learn in.

Cons

Probably could do with a bigger office in London.

Communications Associate

Thanks for leaving a review!

3. 3.0

Easy work, Low salary, Low moral, Outdated technologies

23 Feb 2021 - Software Engineer E2 in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to get a job, even if you lack experience or knowledge. Fantastic work-life balance. Very simple work without stress or responsibilities. Co-workers are usually friendly. Small employee discount in the Ocado shop. An interesting insight into the common best practices from 1995-2000.

Cons

Meagre salary. Heavy reliance on Java 6 and other outdated technologies. Almost no growth opportunities due to low technical expertise in teams. The cultural values ("Ocado principles") sound good on paper but are never followed in practice (at least in my department). Management refused to pay out bonuses despite massive corporate gains and defended the decision with insulting rhetorics. Meanwhile, the CEO has received one of the highest bonuses in the UK. In the 1st months of COVID, there were personal attacks at people who advocated wearing face-coverings. Even a company-wide prohibition of wearing face coverings in the office was active for a short period. The senior management does meet with regular employees on 1:1 meetings, but they act very happy and innocent. This makes people hesitant to point out the perilous state of most projects. Prepare to see sad-puppy faces if you reveal even the slightest issue. It's unnerving. The real danger is being stuck in this company for too long. While I would recommend Ocado for a 1-2 year working period to learn certain interesting architectural design approaches and how NOT to do certain stuff, it will kill your professional skills if you overstay.

4 people found this review helpful

Ocado Technology Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and express your thoughts. Regarding your point about the way we work, we truly believe that our values differentiate us as an employer by helping individuals to grow and develop, and helping our teams to work together effectively for the best results. We are sad to hear that this hasn't been your experience so please speak with the People Team to offer any specific suggestions or feedback. We're very surprised to read your comments on the technology we use, we pride ourselves on our Tech Stack which combines a powerful set of best-in-breed languages and tools to make it easy for our teams to focus on problem solving and building the best solutions. We would also like to reassure you that we put a lot of effort into ensuring that our total packages are competitive for each location that we operate in. You make many more interesting points, all of which we will digest and share feedback and learnings with the team. Thank you.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fast paced but positive environment

29 Apr 2021 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work here are generally really friendly, smart helpful people. Autonomy is very high. Managers are expected to support growth of those they manage, not micromanage them. Lots of opportunity to learn both through organised courses and talks and through general openness to share from other teams and areas. Failure is approached with a "what can we learn" view rather than a "who caused the problem" approach.

Cons

Reorgs and significant changes in priorities (mostly due to the constantly changing environment) are common. Employees are treated well when they happen, but it would not be a good environment for people who want a calm, stable work environment. Handling change well is essential.

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We’re so pleased to hear that you enjoy the culture we foster at Ocado Technology. Thanks again!

5. 5.0

Great employer

30 May 2021 - Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office with an on site restaurant. Flexible working with the option to work from abroad a month a year.

Cons

Work can be quite siloed to your small area without having an overview of how everything fits together.

Communications Associate

What a great review! We're so pleased to hear that you enjoy working at Ocado Technology and the flexible working opportunities offered. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A solid company to work at, but going through growing pains

30 May 2021 - Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- While restructuring has been a common occurrence over the last 5 years, the current structure is leagues ahead of how it used to be set up. - Great colleagues make the day to day interactions in the office far more pleasant than a lot of companies - and a focus on cultural fit in interviews means this is likely to continue being the standard. - High technical standards mean that the vast majority of coworkers are technically proficient and senior developers are a great resource to learn from. - At least in my department our technology stack was always kept up to date with the latest releases. - While compensation isn't up to the standard of central London based FinTech or Big 4 companies, I personally think it's pretty good considering that it's also typically a pleasant environment to work in and the work itself is interesting. - The work from home policy has massively improved as a consequence of covid, and going forward the 2 days in office/3 days from home policy is better than a lot of comparable employers offer.

Cons

- While regular business updates and open Q&A sessions were great at the start of the pandemic, I have more recently found them to be pretty useless for the most part as upper management refuses to clearly answer certain questions that a lot of people in the company care about, particularly in regards to topics like clarity in the pay review process. - From department heads upwards I've noticed a lot of popular phrases being used that don't really mean anything practically. At the upper levels you hear things like "we've put a lot of effort into our compensation packages" which sounds nice but doesn't really mean anything without context as to what their goals for the package are. - At lower levels the biggest one I take issue with is the constant theme that challenges like limited testing facilities drive innovation and are therefore good things - there's a constant refusal to admit that anything is just bad and needs to be fixed. - As a result of this overly positive attitude, presumably combined with middle management politics I'm not privy to, there's a constant pressure to implement new features and very little focus on reducing technical debt, which all the projects my department worked on were riddled with. - My department has struggled for the last couple of years to hire up to its planned headcount, so are constantly understaffed, and as several people have left recently that department in particular is getting to the point where the hit-by-a-bus issue is becoming more and more problematic - there's two or three developers who would cripple the department if they leave in the next 6 months.

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave such an in-depth review. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects about working at Ocado Technology. It's great to hear your thoughts on communication, thanks for sharing. Communication is something that we are keen to keep focusing on in the newer way of working that the world has shifted to. You make many interesting points, all of which we will digest and share feedback and learnings with the team. Thanks again for leaving a review!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Choose your team wisely

26 May 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most teams are using the latest technologies. The person bemoaning Java 6 need only ask to move to an OSP team. 90% of Java being actively worked on is at least Java 8. On the flip side, our legacy code generates a lot of on-call overtime. Candidates should ask about the specific tech stack for the team they are applying for and choose accordingly. Some people are working on truly amazing projects, which if successful will undeniably make the world a better place. On the subject of moving teams, this is officially encouraged and is usually easy. My advice would be to apply for the vacancy first, then inform your manager when you plan to leave. Managers exist to maximise team health, so they will try to discourage valuable people leaving. I have not witnessed any workplace disputes, controversy, incidents etc.

Cons

The company has not fully embraced WFH and we will be mostly back in the office come Autumn. When I peek at most teams' Kanban boards, I groan at how boring all of the work is. Some people won't mind as it all pays the same. If you want to work on interesting features and feel like you've made a difference, ask the hiring manager what their team has delivered in the last month. If they squirm and mention migrations, scaling and testing, reject the offer and ask if there are any other teams with vacancies that better suit your interests. SOC2 compliance. It is only a matter of time until we'll be filling out TPS reports.

Communications Associate

Thanks for leaving a review! It's great to hear that you enjoy the technology at Ocado Technology. On the topic of flexible working, we believe that both face-to-face interaction and flexibility are important to our teams, and as restrictions lift we will be moving to a hybrid workplace. The majority of our teams will be in the office two coordinated days a week and have the option to work remotely for the rest of the week. On top of this, for 6 weeks of the year, in the summer and around New Years, our teams will be able to work remotely. We will also be offering the option to work from almost any location for 30 calendar days. Regarding your comments about pay, we don't see this topic as taboo. We are listening to feedback on this topic and our leadership team will be openly discussing pay at a dedicated live stream. As a feedback-driven business, we would like to encourage you to get in touch with the People team or the leadership team with any feedback, comments or suggestions.

8. 5.0

Great place to work

18 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, freedom to shape the product.

Cons

There is no option to full remote.

1 person found this review helpful

Communications Associate

Thanks for leaving such a great review! We're so pleased to hear that you enjoy the work environment and culture at Ocado Technology.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Work

29 Apr 2021 - Engineering Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, company that's growing fast, lots of impressive work happening, smart & enthusiastic & motivated colleagues, great work/life balance

Cons

Promotion process can be sluggish, compansation for UK roles not quite comparable with London market

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! It’s great to hear that you enjoy working at Ocado Technology. Regarding your comment about remuneration, we would like to reassure you that we put a lot of effort into ensuring our total packages are competitive for each region that we operate in. Thanks again!

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture, rapid growth

22 Mar 2021 - Engineering Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ocado Technology has put a lot of effort into defining software engineering and product owner/manager roles, and provided clear expectations. I found the culture to be one of the best of all the companies I've worked at, though it is fair to say that some departments are further along in this space than others. Leadership is accessible and friendly, as is everyone else. People are always willing to help. CI/CD and development tools are maturing constantly, OT is ahead of many organisations in this place.

Cons

My experience was generally very positive.

Communications Associate

Thanks for leaving a review! We’re so pleased to hear you had such a positive experience at Ocado Technology.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 241 Reviews