Ocado Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Tim Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Outside London, could be long commute if you are living in London (in 5 reviews)

• It does have countryside and pubs etc nearby, and isn't far from London (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company to start your career!"

I worked at Ocado Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working there, it was a really friendly environment. I learned a lot.

Cons

Be sure to ask exactly where will you work. Sometimes your job requires you to go from warehouse to warehouse.

25 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

We're glad you liked working with us! For anyone looking at jobs now, it should be clear before you start whether the role will require travel to our different warehouses – if you're unsure, please... More

2. "Superb company to work for"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Autonomy over your work
    - Great working environment
    - Always room to improve your skills
    - Ability to go to conferences
    - Great approach to code quality
    - Competitive salary

Cons

Can't think of anything to say here

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for such a great review, glad you're enjoying your time here!

3. "Dynamic company"

Current Employee - Automation Control Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic work and great people

Cons

You may spend a lot of time on site, but if you don't mind it's cool!

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the review. The amount of time spent on-site (i.e. at one of our giant, state-of-the-art warehouses) depends on the responsibilities of your role, but they're a lot of fun if you like... More

5. "Pretty good."

Pros

Friendly environment, Interesting technology to work with.

Cons

There isn't a London office which would be easier for commuting, and working from home is strongly discouraged.

6. "Working on real, tangible products and serivices"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hatfield, West Midlands, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hatfield, West Midlands, England

Pros

I'm working in a great and dynamic team as a software engineer, where I am able to have a voice in terms of technology stack and our approach. (Mixture of agile and non-agile methodology that allows for more freedom to innovate.) It can depend on the team you land in whether things will move fast or slow. Some teams are exceptional executors of ideas, some can be a little slow to make decisions (but there are many teams here)

Many opportunities to learn, including on site academy sessions and workshops. Sometime we get big names in the software world to present and run workshops which is awesome and inspiring.

Cons

Senior people aren't encouraged enough to teach and share the knowledge. Junior people who show exceptional abilities aren't promoted fast enough.

Advice to Management

Promote top performers faster into more senior roles, and give more responsibilities, utilise them more once they are senior!

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

Great to see that you're enjoying your team and the freedom to make your voice heard. You make a good point about encouraging senior employees to share more expertise and this is something the... More

7. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, really interesting projects

Cons

The location if you live in London

8. "Good Tech Company & Very Good Culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer SE2 in Hatfield, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Software Developer SE2 in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Using up-to-date technologies like Java 8, Akka, Scala.
    Interesting project related to Robotics, Data Science, Machine Learning.
    Very good company culture, friendly colleges, high autonomy at work, supportive mangers.
    Investing very heavily on high tech robotics and software engineering. Definitely putting in the financial effort to be among the big name tech company's.

Rent wise Hatfield and the surrounding areas are cheaper and less hectic than London which is good for families.

Cons

Some hi-tech projects forming, thus lots of experimenting can go on before settling on the right technology.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep the good (senior) developers/managers whom contribute positively both technology and company culture wise.

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

Great to see you're enjoying the culture here and the breadth of technology.

9. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working at Ocado Technology, it has a friendly atmosphere, great people and has plenty of complex and interesting challenges.

I like the fact that at Ocado the problems we’re solving are very real and tangible. New starters can go out on a buddy route with a driver delivering shopping and visit the customer fulfilment centres where the orders are picked.

Ocado Technology has a real focus on its core values which are Trust, Collaboration, Craftsmanship, Autonomy, Learn Fast & Leadership. If like me you enjoy working in an open trusting environment then this is great.

I’ve learnt a huge amount since starting Ocado and have been delighted by how much autonomy I’ve been given in how I perform my role.
    The majority of people that work in technology have a technical background, all the way up to the CTO, this is a huge positive in comparison to others companies I’ve worked for. The Leadership team really do understand the challenges the teams face day to day.

If you are passionate about embracing continuous improvement in both yourself and the way your team works you will enjoy Ocado Technology.

Cons

While salaries may not be amazing the people and work are!

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

This is a great, comprehensive review – thanks so much!

10. "Great company for innovation and personal growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

I am encouraged to learn new technologies and skills which are used to contribute back to the company. I am given the time and the freedom to develop the knowledge and skills not just in my area but in other areas of the company.

Get to work with team members who support each other well.

Get to work in a relaxing environment.

Great company values.

Nice and quiet location in Hatfield. (This is a plus for me, but others may have different views about this.)

Cons

No negatives for me so far.

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the great review

11. "Great modern Company to work for"

Current Employee - User Experience Buddy in Hatfield, East of England, England
    Current Employee - User Experience Buddy in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company values
    Full support for learning and developing new skills
    Relaxed yet professional atmosphere
    Smaller teams to work with which acts like smaller families and productive cells.

Cons

Nothing so far apart from my commute, I live in London.

10 Jul 2017 – Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the review, glad you're enjoying it here. For anyone else reading this who may be commuting from London, we offer interest-free rail ticket loans, plus a free shuttle to and from Hatfield... More