Quick Release Reviews

Updated 28 Jul 2020

4.4
Quick Release Director Adam Blomerley (no image)
Adam Blomerley
Pros
  • "Nothing is guaranteed but if you are smart and driven you will find QR an excellent fit and if you see yourself as average then the chances are that(in 10 reviews)

• "The company culture is so inclusive, with every team member being more than happy to help(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "QR will sell you to their clients as a 'specialist' even if this is your first ever job(in 5 reviews)

• "An example of where this bites would be where I had one co-worker worked in a department where everyone worked 9-4 (as a pose to 8-5)(in 3 reviews)

1. "Good place to make your mark"

Current Employee - Business Leader

I have been working at Quick Release full-time

Pros

Small enough that you can have decently meaningful impacts that shape how things are done while relatively young / junior compared to bigger name alternatives. Genuinely a leader in the PDM field, and acknowledged as such by other companies and industry bodies (always nice to hear!) Opportunities for travel, both regional and international - fun to see different teams and clients in their cultural contexts, good on the CV and you can usually add a few days for yourself. Very supportive and approachable team - both at practitioner and senior management level - if you want / need something and make a reasoned case for it, the chances are it will be approved or arrangements made. Minor queries are usually addressed in mins rather than hours.

Cons

Things are run lean, so there's a lot of non-core work to plough through, all taking time. Pay and benefits are fair but not industry leading - a question of personal priorities against the pros above.

2. "Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Project Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Quick Release full-time for less than a year

Pros

QR really prides itself on having a great company culture and it really shows in how they interact with you as a new employee. I felt like a great addition to the team from day one, feeling valued and included. It is a great starting position for a recent graduate!

Cons

Some projects demand more work from you than others, be prepared to put in a hard graft

3. "it's ok"

Current Employee - Project in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Quick Release full-time

Pros

interesting work, some nice people, culture can be fun.

Cons

culture can become toxic, diversity in management and leadership is poor.

July 1, 2020

We are sorry to see that there are things you are unhappy with at QR_. In response to the lack of diversity in the leadership team, based on the founders of the organisation not being diverse, this is relatively true, however, if you look at the last 5 years you can see diversity improving and the steps taken will start to filter through to the leadership team. I would suggest you speak to the ED&I team to learn more about all of the initiatives we have in place right now and look to the ED&I page of our website for updates/commitments. We would also be interested to hear more about your thoughts on the culture at QR as it is something we really pride ourselves on and based on a large number of reviews on this site, you can see that many people agree that QR drives a positive and inclusive culture. If you feel uncomfortable speaking to your line manager or the leadership team about this then please raise your concerns with your local QRVoice rep.

4. "Get the experience and move on"

2.0
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Quick Release full-time

Pros

The main reason to work for QR is the industry experience you gain, you will be able to put some high profile clients on your CV. Most people leave after 1-2 years once they've got enough experience to get a better job. The culture at QR is one of the biggest pros about the company, I've met some amazing people here! There are always after work drinks and socials happening, so you will make friends fairly quickly. That being said, socials often get out of control there have been numerous incidents involving senior managers/ directors..you will hear all the stories in your first few weeks.

Cons

1. If you are lucky, you may get the chance to work on some really exciting projects. However, you will have to learn absolutely everything on the job. QR will sell you to their clients as a 'specialist' even if this is your first ever job. You will have to learn everything by yourself as management offer 0 support (and quite frankly, most of them are clueless half the time too). 2. If you are unlucky (which nowadays is most of the time), you will be given a project that consist of you copying/pasting, 'chasing' people all day or any other manual task that engineers would rather pay someone to do for them. You'll be not only bored but you'll also develop/ learn no new skills whatsoever. Clients often refer to us as 'admin resource' which is quite sad. 3. The company is still very small, so there is no opportunities for formal training (i.e. anything they have to pay for), so if you would like to develop professionally better look somewhere else. 4. Promotion/ progression - the people that get ahead are the ones that management likes. Most people join the company to become consultants, but these opportunities present themselves very rarely (less than once a year) and even then only 1-3 people get promoted. Overall, if you have an offer from a different company I would advise you to consider taking it.

July 1, 2020

This isn’t the review we’d hope to read, reflecting neither the operating environment or management approaches we put a lot of time and resources into developing, but is nonetheless a valuable perspective to keep in mind as we further evolve the business. Addressing the concerns outlined: 1. Our three-week residential ‘boot camp’ provides what we hope is a thorough introduction to PDM, designed to take those with very limited data background (arts and humanities etc) to a decent working standard before they are deployed on project. Recognising data is never the whole answer, considerable time is also spent on soft skills that should boost confidence and make carrying partner organisations and teams with you a bit easier. That being said, we recognise those joining as experienced hires or outside of the main recruitment cycles may have to complete ‘Personal Induction Plan’ modules alongside project work, but there is always the extended QR_ network on hand and is why try to recruit versatile as well as bright minds. 2. Our work covers a range of activities from data cleansing and manipulation, through more advanced project management and delivery, to strategic consulting and associated operational implementation. While personal preferences can’t always be catered for due to the client roster and business shape at a given point in time, geographic flexibility can help greatly in getting onto projects you feel a personal affinity for. Different organisational pillars and business functions also allow some degree of preference to be accounted for – e.g. consultancy may work well for those valuing pace of work, travel and diversity of clients, whereas those with family commitments may prefer a longer but more predictable engagement with a larger client. 3. Depending on how you look at this, we’re very small compared to a lot of our clients and the big-name professional services firms, but also significantly bigger than a lot of boutique consultancies and professional services practices, with training budgets occupying a middle ground accordingly. We are however very keen on developing those we have rather than 'buying in' external resource and would argue a greater than proportional amount of management time and budget is channelled into L&D. From a company perspective, we also have to make a judgement as to what holistically benefits both an individual and QR_, verses what benefits solely the individual. Having said that, we absolutely support our team going for funded training where they have demonstrated sufficient background knowledge to benefit from it, for example in FY19_20 we have funded 24% of our employees to complete externally provided Business Development training. 4. See 2 for availability of positions, but progression and promotion are tightly aligned with the readily accessible matrix; as the company grows, inevitably we get more applicants per internal position and the field of competition is wider. We are sorry you have departed with a bitter aftertaste - it's really not the experience we hope to create - but hopefully the above provides some useful context that may help put things in perspective. All the best for your future endeavours, QR_

5. "Friendly Company"

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Woking, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Quick Release full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly culture, interesting variety of projects, good opportunities for development and progression.

Cons

Travel expected on short notice, with little info.

6. "Awful"

1.0
    Former Employee - Project Analyst

I worked at Quick Release full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to work with large automotive clients Smart people from great universities Fun socials

Cons

Management are inexperienced and selected based on who the business unit leaders like rather than being deserving of role. Analysts sold to clients as experts when we have never even heard the topics Made redundant some great people while keeping people much worse and with no experience because they won't comment on negatives 0 training - all boot camp is, is people getting drunk for 3 weeks and pretending to learn something. This money could be much better used for training budget for employees. Projects are usually very basic, copy-paste kinds, data based, where there is no thinking required and you're just becoming a machine No progression after Senior No work flexibility at all Required to move where clients are permanently with long distances (such as from Birmingham to Bath) and they make you share a house with people from the company, not even put you in a hotel. If you say no they consider you a difficult person. Project managers have 0 time or idea about the projects they're managing because they have to do their own projects so essentially they're useless when searching for advice. Extremely unprofessional behaviour at social events including from board level - being inappropriate to women etc. Honestly just find somewhere else to work.

July 27, 2020

While we’re pleased you rated your colleagues, enjoyed the client profile and had fun at the socials, the lengthy list of cons is disappointing and something we’ll internally review in detail. To provide some quick responses for both yourself and those reading: Nature of work: our services cover a range of activities from data cleansing and manipulation, through more advanced project management and delivery, to strategic consulting and associated operational implementation; it sounds like you mainly experienced the more mundane end of this range but QRians on other projects or embedded with different clients will have quite a different experience. While personal preferences can’t always be catered for due to the client roster and business shape at a given point in time, geographic flexibility can help greatly in getting onto projects you feel a personal affinity for. Different organisational pillars and business functions also allow some degree of preference to be accounted for – e.g. consultancy may work well for those valuing pace of work, travel and diversity of clients, whereas those with family commitments may prefer a longer but more predictable engagement with a larger client. Training: ‘boot camp’ modules are designed to provide a compressed but very focused introduction to both the general concepts around PDM, and the skills needed to implement best practices in the real world on a variety of the most-used systems. These may not be applicable to every client and project, but between the higher-level concepts and extended QR network and knowledge resources on hand, we often find our new grads are already more knowledgeable (through greater focus and specialism) than equivalents at clients. When it comes to follow-on training, significant recent investment in L&D is provided in an enhanced range of internal resources, while last year 24% of employees were funded to complete external training. Progression and management: there’s been a significant recent effort in ensuring progression and promotion are tightly aligned with the readily accessible matrix; as the company grows, inevitably we get more applicants per internal position and the field of competition is wider. Behaviour at socials: historically there have been instances of behaviour some may not be comfortable with, but these were a good few years in the past when the team was much smaller and the per head spend considerably higher. That being said, do reach out directly if you were referring to a more recent occurrence. Sorry to not to part on better terms – what you have described is really not the experience we hope to create – but hopefully the above provides some context. All the best for your future endeavours, QR_

7. "Great company, can be too idealistic"

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Woking, England

I have been working at Quick Release full-time

Pros

Many initiatives to improve employees wellbeing, development structures in place to further individual progress, potential multiple projects for learning

Cons

Expect strong flexibility in location

8. "Best culture in a job I have ever seen!"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at Quick Release full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is so inclusive, with every team member being more than happy to help. The projects are interesting also.

Cons

I haven't found any yet

June 1, 2020Head of Operations

Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. It's really good to know that we're getting things right from your perspective!

9. "Easy, Quick process with inviting and engaging team!"

Current Employee - Operations Administration Assistant in Brentwood, England

I have been working at Quick Release full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Quick Release has numerous offices and opportunities around the world, specifically in the UK there are 8+ offices so are likely to find a suitable office or project for all applicants close to home. -The Recruitment process is straight forward, well maintained and regularly updated following understanding of feedback and reviews. -Close knit culture with staff and peers meaning the company is a joy to work for and finding support is easy and readily available. -Regular social events, great for team building if you move project or just to get to know the people you work with. -Annual global team event, you'll meet people you may deal with regularly but may not have met. Plus, you can socialize with CEO's, Directors and the back office team. -Great support system, QR_ will move mountains to support and encourage their staff. -Hard work is seen, noticed and recognised

Cons

None that I can think of.

Continue reading

"Product Data Management for Automotive Clients"

Former Employee - Project Analyst

I worked at Quick Release full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, exposure to very senior employees within Quick Release and client companies, project and location rotation is easy if wanted

Cons

Work days 8-5 with no flexi-time or overtime, pressured into doing more work even if you're busy as it's a small company so each person is required to contribute more

Found 55 reviews