Thumbtack Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2021

3.9
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance(in 37 reviews)

• "The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off)(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As the company grows there are also some growing pains(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

An amazing Place to Work!

3 Jun 2021 - Communications Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Thumbtack as a fully remote employee and couldn't be happier! The flexibility, creativity and culture are truly one of a kind. Everyone is incredibly kind and respectful, and willing to chip in to get the job done There's a major emphasis on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, which resonates throughout the company, be it through ERGs (employee resource groups), social impact or overall work to ensure the culture being built is inclusive to all groups. The benefits are incredible! From health, to parental paid leave to unlimited PTO. There's a really strong culture for working parents, making it a great place for working moms!

Cons

The company is going through massive growth which means tons of hiring and new folks ramping up - some growing pains - but honestly no cons!

Social Media Support Manager

We're so happy to hear you've found Thumbtack to be a one of a kind culture. We're always looking for more ways to create a culture where everyone feels welcome and they are able to do their best work. Thank you for being part of Thumbtack as we move forward.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

AE Role

10 Jun 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture at the company. Sales culture was great and so were the managers.

Cons

Company was growing faster then they anticipated and had mass layoffs during the pandemic.

Social Media Support Manager

Focusing on the development of our people is top of mind and we continue to strive for more focus in this area. Thank you for all the hard work and this feedback.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work full of mission-driven, intellectual people

23 Dec 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack is a really great company with a very strong culture and an obsessive focus on improving itself. Everyone from the engineers to the recruiters to the operations teams are approachable, curious, humble, dedicated to learning, and fun to talk with. The product makes a difference in people's lives and the opportunity is huge, which makes the environment exciting and the work satisfying. Decisions from hires to product changes to ad buys are made in a very thoughtful, rigorous manner, but bad decisions are owned up to and abandoned quickly. Very little ego or politics within the company, as everyone seems committed to making the best decisions to help the team, and working hard to make that decision making process as analytically rigorous and free from bias as possible. As a start up there are many opportunities for team members to contribute and expand their horizons and leadership offers support for people to figure out and implement new things. I love coming to work here.

Cons

The relentlessly thoughtful decision making process means that the company can move more slowly than it perhaps should at times. Engineer hiring has proven to be a major bottleneck due to absurdly high standards for new hires. As a result, teams that could get by with less than world-class engineers are left without any engineering resources at all. Also as a result the product has simple, glaring flaws that go left unaddressed, and there are clearly areas of the company set up years ago that have been given no thought in a while as attention is focused elsewhere. Huge opportunity for new hires to fix these things and help this company realize its potential.

176 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

7 Jun 2021 - Customer Support
      Business Outlook

Pros

By far the best company I've ever worked for. The culture is fantastic, the benefits are amazing, and the whole company went to remote working which I love.

Cons

There is no 401K matching.

Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for this huge compliment and for being part of Thumbtack!

5. 5.0

Great positive work environment

10 Jun 2021 - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well resourced and positive work environment.

Cons

Turnover and management shortages can lead to career stagnation sometimes

Social Media Support Manager

We understand turnover can lead to pauses on projects and development, please pass this feedback to your current manager. We always want to make sure we're doing our best to improve our people and their careers.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great!

10 Jun 2021 - Talent Sourcer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team environment and truly a great place to work

Cons

Nothing, love everything about it.

Social Media Support Manager

We love it here too! Thanks for sharing and being part of the team.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Thumbtack is the best employer to work for!

2 Mar 2021 - Pro Success Coach in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Each and every day I am incredibly grateful to be employed through Thumbtack, as I can honestly say Thumbtack has been the best company to work for! As a small business owner myself, I absolutely love coaching pros on how to optimize their success on the platform. It's super rewarding to know that I'm helping business owners take their business to that next level! A healthy work-life balance is also super important to me. Thumbtack provides us with a good amount of PTO days, Holidays, and amazing benefits that allow me to maintain that ideal work-life balance. I love how challenging the work environment is! Thumbtack continues to push me to think outside the box, consider different perspectives, and constantly level-up on all aspects of life! And of course, the people I work with are all amazing, real-genuine people who contribute to the culture in a positive way! If you get the opportunity, I would definitely recommend working for Thumbtack!

Cons

I miss working in-office and interacting in-person with all my co-workers and having our culinary team create amazing meals for us. But also incredibly grateful for the opportunity to work from home during these challenging times.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

Wow, chills! Thumbtack really is the BEST. Thank you for this amazing review and the details you shared about day-to-day life at Thumbtack. We really appreciate all the hard work you put into your job each and every day. We're so lucky to have employees like you. :)

8. 5.0

Positive so far!

2 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of cross-functional collaboration - Innovation is encouraged - Continual opportunities to provide leadership with feedback - Newly refreshed perks to balance Remote work life. Also, we’re able to stay remote after pandemic subsides.

Cons

- can be meeting heavy, have to carve time in calendar to get actual work done - growing pains, so 1:1 time with manager isn’t as frequent as it used to be

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We're happy to hear you are enjoying the decision to continue working from home. Our goals are to always collaborate and listen to feedback. Thank you for writing this review and for all the hard work.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

22 Feb 2021 - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack really cares about its people and has made very visible efforts to make sure benefits are fair and equal across locations as much as possible. Thumbtack has great benefits and flexible time off, they support you in having a life outside of work. I've always felt that Thumbtack was an inclusive place, I've always felt welcome and comfortable being myself. Overall there is a great culture and they support the person, not the employee.

Cons

As Thumbtack has grown, the opportunity for growth within the company has gotten slightly more difficult. There may be a wait before a significant career advancement opportunity presents itself. I think this would be the case for any quickly-growing business. However, they do a great job of supporting skills and educational advancement so you can always be improving even if there is not a promotion readily available.

Social Media Support Manager

We truly value the thoughts and feedback you've provided here and we've passed it along to the appropriate teams. Making sure each person who works at Thumbtack feels they have the opportunities they need to advance their skillsets and career is very important to us. It's such a joy to hear that you've felt comfortable to be yourself here and we hope everyone who joins us feels the same. Thanks for sharing your kind and helpful thoughts. We look forward to your continued impact here at Thumbtack.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Steady Decline Over the Years

2 Feb 2021 - Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are incredible and kept me at Thumbtack for many years. Team members are generally very smart and good at what they do. And of course, the work Thumbtack is trying to accomplish is inspiring and the opportunity for success is big.

Cons

Leadership, specifically Marco. Over the years I've watched him transform from a humble, easygoing co-founder, to a CEO that seems angry and annoyed when anyone questions him. it's been hard to watch him make mistakes impacting hundreds of people and prioritize money over small business owners that are hurting. Unfortunately, Thumbtack leadership as a whole has a long way to go. Women and other underrepresented minorities don't have a seat at the table. And there really is no excuse for that. Another problem they have is their product. Their product vision is a mess. I'm all for pivoting and trying new things, but many of the experiments and updates teams roll out equal a poor user experience and rarely benefit the end user. Another issue I had working there was career development. They make a lot of promises but rarely follow through. The requirements for promotion also vary across teams and roles and isn't consistent. The reasons they give for promoting one person, but not another don't make sense.

9 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We agree that the work we do is inspiring, and we want to be sure we have our pros and customers best interests in mind as we work to accomplish our goals. We value the feedback you’ve provided about how we can better support our employees through DEI efforts and clearer expectations. We’ve passed your comments along to the appropriate teams. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and we wish you all the best.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 346 Reviews