Thumbtack Reviews

3.6
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
Cons
  • "There are little to no significant cons to working here, other than growing pains are causing parking to become an issue(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 18 reviews)

"LoveIts and CBBs"

4.0
    Former Employee - Manager, Product Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Thumbtack's overall review rating on Glassdoor has really dipped the last few months. Much of this has been driven by negative reviews written in the wake of layoffs that took out 1/3 of the company (250 people). While I understand why people are upset and was among those affected, I try to keep things in perspective and look at the whole picture. When I think back on my year and a half at Thumbtack, the pros that stand out were: - Culture: by and large, Thumbtack is full of individuals who are not only extremely smart and competent, but also humble and great to work with. No jerks - Interesting Work: it's a marketplace company, with customers on one side and professionals on the other. This makes for unique intellectual challenges and makes problems harder (but also more interesting to solve) - Collaboration: everyone wants to help each other succeed - Flexibility and Work/Life Balance: while some weeks were tougher than others, for the most part it was a results-oriented culture where I could get stuff done but also take time for myself

Cons

There were some clear things that CBB (could [have] been better). - Leadership when it comes to executive hiring and transparent communication: overall, the coord team is solid. I respect every single person on that team. However, I do think executive hiring could have been stronger. There was significant turnover and question marks over a relatively short period of time with the Chief Product Officer role, and from the outside looking in, it seemed like leadership didn't align on what they were looking for. Obviously, the layoffs could have been handled more gracefully, and it's telling how many people it upset. - Growth: we struggled with growth during my time at Thumbtack. The company was always trying so hard to move metrics along the conversion funnel to eke out a few % more growth. If you have strong product-market fit, growth shouldn't be so hard. When you aren't growing, it starts to look really risky to take big bets rather than work on small, incremental problems. - Company Goals and Focus: these would change frequently and seemingly swing back and forth along a pendulum. It seemed like we would overreact to missteps and overcorrect. Would cause fatigue and whiplash

July 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We genuinely appreciate this transparent review. We're so happy to hear about the amazing teammates and work/life balance you experienced while working for Thumbtack. These things are extremely important when working to build a culture we can be proud of! At the same time, we really value the negative feedback received as it helps us become an even better company. Thank you for your thoughts. We will be passing this along to the appropriate Teams.

2. COVID-19

"Incompetent Leadership, Hypocritical Culture -> Ship is Sinking"

Former Employee - Undisclosed

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- When times were good pre-2020, Thumbtack cultivated a culture of transparency, humility, and work-life balance. - All my managers for the most part prioritized my professional development and supported me to do my job in a fulfilling way. - Most of my coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There wasn't as much politics as other companies at my level due to some good operating processes set up. - The onsite meals were great and the culinary team was world-class.

Cons

But a company's true character shows when times are tough, and Thumbtack completely failed the test. In a founder-CEO company, the true color of company morals is usually a manifestation of the character of the CEO, and I am extremely disappointed how Marco handled the last few months. While Marco had issues pre-pandemic (most prominently, his inability to put together a good executive team and broker cohesion amongst them), I still believed that his overall capability and moral compass would guide Thumbtack through ups and downs. I was wrong: - The covid layoff was a disaster and you can read more about it in the previous reviews. 3 months later both former and current employees are still reeling. Go compare how you handled the layoff to how Brian Chesky handled the Airbnb layoff, night and day difference. Just go read Airbnb's Glassdoor reviews around the same time frame and you will see laid off employees not nearly as scarred. - The icing on the cake is laying off the entire DEI team. Then when BLM protests happened, trying to claim in a public blog post diversity and inclusion is top priority and that they would prioritize hiring DEI folks, without mentioning that they actually laid off the entire DEI team just a couple months ago. Utter hypocrisy. - A lot of the executive team are not qualified. They can't get along with each other. And they keep leaving or keep getting fired. This again illustrates the incompetence of the CEO: -> 4 CPOs over a few years with the last one getting straight up laid off. I think Marco doesn't know how to have a CPO and needs full control over the product. -> No one on the executive team has stayed for more than 3-4 years. The last few years saw complete turnover of the exec team. The current CTO, who's actually qualified, just quit. -> Unqualified people keep getting put onto the exec team. Just one example, the current head of Design has never worked as a Product Designer, but rather a User Researcher and was in school only a few year ago.

July 13, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate your honest feedback as this is how we grow here at thumbtack. We understand we lost your trust during COVID-19 and how the layoffs were handled. Your feedback has been passed along to make sure we’re building a culture based on trust and transparency. We also take DEI very seriously and hiring that team back is one of our top priorities. We truly wish you the best in your future career and thank you for all the time and effort you put into your position with us here at Thumbtack.

3. "Thumbtack used to be a great place to work in customer support. Now? Avoid at all costs."

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Thumbtack had a unique culture with a startup mentality where people come first. At one time, CS agents had the autonomy to "do the right thing," and go out of their way to make sure we were giving the best assistance possible. Our role was to help the users of our site succeed and understand how to make the most of the product.

Cons

There was a drastic decline in culture and the embodiment of company values in Customer Support when the new CS director took over in 2019. It became like any other soul-crushing call center job. We were consistently understaffed, which was intentional to save money, but extremely stressful and draining to CS agents. The call volume was relentless, and we were encouraged to be less helpful so that calls would be shorter. Our users seemed to be increasingly losing faith in us, as customer support is the face of Thumbtack. The attendance policy was changed to require everyone to work despite previously planned vacation, etc. if an especially busy day was forecasted. We lost all the great perks and benefits that set Thumbtack apart from other companies.

August 12, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate this feedback. It’s important to us that our customers and employees don’t lose faith in Thumbtack and we appreciate you pointing this out. No matter how busy we get, we want the Thumbtack culture to stay the same. We have sent this feedback off to the appropriate Team, and wish you the best in your future career. Thank you for the time and effort you put into helping our pros and customers while you worked with us.

"Office politics is killing the once beautiful culture"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TT used to be a great company to work with.

Cons

Recent decisions seems to be clouded with a lot of politics and under current, which is resulting to stressful work environment.

July 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We're sad to hear that things have declined for you because of recent changes made. The last thing we want is a stressful work environment for our employees. We'd encourage you to work with your manager on this feedback to see what we can do to improve your experience. We'll always be striving to provide a great workplace for our employees and want the best for everyone.

"Micro management and very disorganized"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Nice at first, they sell you on getting you new MAC hardware and other perks, good pay

Cons

Disorganized, there wasnt even a curriculum to go by, random information was thrown to the training class, used internal jargon we didn't understand, the whole class of about 10 people seemed lost, including me. So much information, yet almost no time to learn it, felt unprepared by management and company to perform my job.

August 10, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We're really glad you took the time to leave us this review. The last thing we want to do with our training class is to leave them feeling unprepared, and we're sad this was the case for you. We'll be passing along this feedback to the appropriate Teams. Thanks again for letting us know about your experience. It helps make us better!

"It's falling apart"

Current Employee - SWE in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

We're getting paid still and our benefits haven't been completely cut yet, I guess that's good.

Cons

There's an idea that Thumbtack is doing good work, building a platform for working-class people to find work especially in times like today. Even though the company wasn't profitable before, it's weird that we laid off over 200 employees and now we're being told things are looking good, even better than ever. Also, our CTO just quit, claiming it was time to take a break and maybe that's true, but who knows. Many of us don't know what or who to believe anymore. The few people who have interviewed here in the last two months ask questions about our culture and we're told to focus on the positive but they can just read this page and see all the stories. And I just saw a negative review below had the wrong copy/paste template response as if the review was praising the team. Engineers are going to keep quitting here, it's been months since the layoffs and morale and culture continue to suffer. I read a story that they tried to hire back our old head of diversity after laying him off not too long ago. Who would've thought that was a good idea? These are such "senior" leaders and they don't know the rule of burning bridges?

July 7, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate all feedback whether it be good or bad. We understand you have concerns with the work environment and we strongly encourage you to give this feedback to your manager. In order to make change happen, it begins with each of us being open to sharing our thoughts. Once again, we appreciate this feedback as we are always striving to be better, and support our employees however they may need.

7. "Okay"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work culture, work life balance

Cons

Low pay and few opportunity for promotion

July 2, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you so much for leaving this review of your experience at Thumbtack. :) We agree those are some great pros, and we really appreciate your feedback on the cons. We wish you the very best!

8. "Incredible place to work!"

5.0

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented team members, a mission that resonates, and the ability to make a true impact.

Cons

We could collaborate more across teams

July 2, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Thumbtack! We're so glad you see the ability to make a great impact that we do. We're also grateful for your feedback about collaboration as this will help us become an even better Team.

"Run away"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Leadership at all levels is poor at best.

June 29, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback. We wish you the very best in your future and thank you for the time and effort you poured into your position with us.

10. COVID-19

"Went Downhill"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The catered lunches, generous PTO policy, and great benefits. Thumbtack used to have a wonderful culture, where actions matched company values, employees were genuinely appreciated, and decisions were made in the best interest of the small businesses and employees. I had the opportunity to work with a lot of intelligent and hardworking people that drove me perform highly and learn new skills.

Cons

Culture shifted to one that includes a lack of transparency, poor management, actions of leadership don't align with company values. Thumbtack also does a really poor job of implementing feedback from the small businesses that rely on them. It became very clear that revenue is the only driver of decisions at Thumbtack, probably due to the amount funding from Sequoia Capital; I'd imagine they're very concerned about their ROI. The lack of loyalty to employees also really stands out, Thumbtack let go off many tenured, loyal, and high performing employees due to Covid. Head of Diversity & Inclusion and many ERG leads were let go as well, but due to current events Thumbtack is claiming D&I is a priority. Just one example of Thumbtack talking the talk but not walking the walk.

June 17, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We truly do appreciate you leaving this review with your feedback. As you mentioned, saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the effects of COVID-19 on our business. This didn't make it any easier, and we're sad that this could have the effect of losing trust from employees. We recognize that while we've made progress, we need to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a greater focus and one that we maintain for the long-term. We're working hard on that now, starting with a retrospective to more deeply understand the areas we need to work on.

Found 294 reviews