Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2,572 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Excellent organisation"

Current Employee - Global IT Director in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Global IT Director in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent organisation in terms of people policies, best in industry compensation and brilliant talent pool. It has wonderful blend of business with purpose and care for people (employee and consumers) ITs IT operations and innovations are world class and cutting edge and have been key competitive advantage as compared to peers .

Cons

Can be more efficient with its process and can be more centralized

Advice to Management

keep the good work on

22 May 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It’s really pleasing to see that you highlight a number of positives, including our people policies, our... More

"Great Start to Career"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Leatherhead, England
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started in the company young in my first full time employment. The opportunity for professional development is strongly offered and supported through a number of programs. The career development issues that were rife especially in finance when I started in the company seem to have dissipated although that doesn't seem to have stopped the flow of resignations at the lower work levels. The culture is relaxed but everyone is aware of times when a push is needed meaning the work hours and location are flexible.

Cons

There way of working, although flexible can lead to extreme overwork when covering other employees or due to recent structural changes causing multiple roles to be downgraded or combined. The company is poor at making quick decisions and only seems to make quick decisions for the purpose of trying to publicize that they can make those quick decisions and implement them. There is still a fairly strong flow of people leaving the business due to a number of reasons, mostly due to progression, development and pay. The pay is below market rate and although it used to be made up for purely by the benefits package, they have been eroded meaning that in some cases the flexible work and slightly more relaxed culture is the reason for many to stay.

Advice to Management

Either address the pay gap to the market, stop eroding the benefits package or stop combining roles that produce extreme overwork for employees. The bias for action within the company especially at higher work levels needs to be addressed. Sometimes making a decision without all the data/variables and taking the risk produces better business results.

3 Aug 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It’s really pleasing to see that you highlight a number of positives, including development opportunities... More

"Brand Manager"

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open, honest and great company to work for.

Cons

Career Opportunities less and less over the years. Company tries to be innovative but stays behind vs competitors. Speed to market is a big fail.

3 Aug 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review. It's good to see that you highlight our open and honest culture as a particular positive. We wish you continued success and all the best.

5. "Quick Review"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

Pros

Good company to work for, nice people, agile working

Cons

Too much process slows things down

14 Aug 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll ensure they are passed on to the team.

6. "Perfect company"

Current Employee - Category Demand Planner in London, England
    Current Employee - Category Demand Planner in London, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work and life balance, agile working, Great culture, Great people, Great development & education, Discounted products, Great reputation, Advanced systems/tools,

Cons

No progression (need to be geographically mobile), Limited/low salary compared to the market/industry, graduates are prioritised over other employees. .

Advice to Management

Equality between grads and employees, provide more progression opportunities

27 Jul 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review and feedback. It's great to see you mention a number of positives of your time here, including work life balance, agile working, and development opportunities. We'll... More

7. "Manager"

I worked at Unilever full-time

Pros

Good communication skills and used to working on own initiative

Cons

Not sure I want to set out cons

11 Aug 2017 – The Talent Team

8. "Groovy"

Former Employee - Finance Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Finance Director in London, England

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Business with integrity, tries to do the right thing

Cons

Bias for action is a constant challenge

26 Jul 2017 – The Talent Team

9. "Socially Responsible Consumer Goods"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Port Sunlight, England
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Port Sunlight, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible working, reasonable pension. Good social responsibility mission based around improving lives of the poor and the environmental footprint of the companies products.

Cons

Very large company, decisions often take a long time, not very agile or dynamic, quite process focussed in reality. Promotion between job levels difficult to achieve.

24 Jul 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It’s really pleasing to see that you highlight a number of positives, including flexible working, our... More

"Don't waste a secon of your life"

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in London, England

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home on fridays. You get some small discounts on some products and you get free ice cream every day.

Cons

Too much work, tons of hours with no gratitude or extra pay. Really bad management team. Lots of stress. Everyone is leaving the company so time to move on.

Advice to Management

Well start treating people like people not like numbers and spend more time focusing on your employees rather than trying to sell how awesome your culture is

3 Aug 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention flexible working and benefits as particular positives of your... More

11. "Fantastic business vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I have been working at Unilever (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a proud feeling to be associated with such an ethical company with high values. Fantastic work life balance, wellbeing programs and clear business vision.

Cons

At time a lot of negative competitiveness and politics leads to hampering employees career growth. Not much transparency and guidance is provided by HR either.

Advice to Management

Please relook at the UK salary structure, we are way behind the industry. This has been raised multiple times by all but nothing has been done yet.

2 Aug 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It’s really pleasing to see that you highlight a number of positives, including our ethical vision, work... More

Showing 2,572 of 2,979 reviews