VMware Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.7
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger
Cons
  1. "Fun global company, great job prospects"

Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Staines, England

I worked at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel opportunities, good pay for entry level role, internships lead to permanent roles.

Cons

Sometimes expected to work outside of 9-5.

VMware2019-11-09
  2. "Great place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Support Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team Supportive place to work Opportunities to develop

Cons

Annual changes - each year the focus shifts

VMware2019-12-04

"Excellent company, but not as good as it could and wants to be"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Staines, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, friendly culture, strong Diversity and Inclusion & Mental Health focus (not much success though, see cons). Excellent technology, customers trust the brand. Good salary, above-average benefits. Ethical business conduct every step of the way and at all levels.

Cons

For all the effort on D&I and Mental Health... the results are not great. Seeking help is not easy, and pressure is still high no matter what you are going through and what are your challenges (dyslexia, depression,...). The technical teams remain a white-middle-aged men environment, and it feels like women are only there to fulfil a quota. No female SEMs, almost no women in senior technical roles, men driven... mentality. Same as other tech companies. There is the hope of change but I have not witnessed real results so far (in 2 years). There also seems to be a gender pay gap issue as well (comparing the same role). These realities make it hard to persevere as a female in tech, which exacerbates the problem. On more general terms, little appreciation for technical skills. I have seen lots of accolades for sales success but no rewards, visibility or recognition for pure technical role accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Drastically change technical team mentalities TODAY. Lift women to higher roles, we are working harder than anybody else: set good examples of celebrating successful women to encourage others to persevere. Disrupt the technical management team and enforce diversity to change the mentality.

VMware2019-10-21

"Refreshing Culture, What an opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having recently joined from a less mature organisation, the culture is truly refreshing - lots of respect for the individual, great work to break down silos of operations and simply one of the most relevant customer conversations to be having at this time

Cons

I'm not sure they understand the size of the opportunity in the field - don't be an engineering company with a hidden message. It's now a value sale, not a widget you just need - the solution portfolio is amazing, it needs to tell the customers and not stay in product silo's

Advice to Management

Continue the investment in the storey telling of how we are transformational and relevant to customers Focus on customer outcome - not products Spend spend spend on Awareness - the message is so much bigger than externally understood!

VMware2019-07-18

"Awesome"

Former Employee - Sales - EUC in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Great leadership team, pay, benefits, products and people.

Cons

No future career for me within the company that I have visability of

Advice to Management

Clearer career path would be helpful. The standard HR forms are a load of rubbish and just a tick box exercise for everyone.

VMware2019-07-17

"Mor Pros than COns"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Staines, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The People, The Culture, The Technology, Opportunity to develop, Drive for Equality in all areas of the business, Work / Life balance

Cons

Beginning to have issues that beset organisations once they get to a certain size. Growth and Margin requirements driving behaviours against EPIC2 values. Increasing Processes and measurements becoming detrimental to focus on customers.

Advice to Management

Don't forget it is all about the people and customers , not just the botom line

VMware2019-06-19

"Best company I have worked for..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful focus on diversity, inclusion and the wider community. Great leadership. Acquire great companies to join the VMware family. Opportunity to be at a company that has a technology edge on the competition and help companies use any cloud, for any application on any device.

Cons

Sometimes political (which company isn't?), processes, procedures, and systems are improving, but need more work.

Advice to Management

Continue adding and enhancing our portfolio and keep the focus on the VMware family.

VMware2019-06-19

"Sales Management"

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

EPIC values CEO Strategy and products Enablement opportunity

Cons

Work life balance Challenging growth targets

VMware2019-06-27

"Amazing Tech married with a Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Director in Staines, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The innovation and collaboration is outstanding. What's more the EPIC2 values that VMware espouses from the very top of the Leadership, are lived by the Leadership and cascade throughout the organisation. It's not a printed statement on a wall, it's a genuine belief system. E=Execution, P=Passion. These two are evident always. I = Integrity and the professionalism of the people and the Leaders bears this out. Never... have I experienced a place so hot on doing the right thing, even if it doesn't help you personally. Long-term thinking even though we have quarterly goals and usual target pressures, we understand what we're building isn't just 3 months worth. C=Customer and the customer focus especially to help fix their business problems rather than just sell products is maturing exponentially. Finally 2 = the second C - Community. A week a year to provide voluntary service to any community you choose, fully paid, and encouraged was and always will be a winner for me when I joined. We are all people, and very fortunate to work for a Company that gives back to help others benefit from our good fortune. Tech as a Force for Good really resonates.

Cons

There's so much opportunity and energy that you need to gtake a conscious decision on what to focus on that develops you and VMware in equal measure. It's very easy to take on too much, but that's a choice you make rather than the Company piling it on

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging all staff - especially those who have been with the Company for a while to keep reinventing themselves, evolving with the company and embracing new ways of working and engaging with customers. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing. It just works!

VMware2019-06-06

"Vmware EUC SE"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in London, England

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team ethos, great technology, always a different challenge every day, opportunities to grow

Cons

They have to improve their internal processes. people need to step up and take ownership of issues and challenges

Advice to Management

listen to your customers more

VMware2019-06-06