Virgin Money Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Jayne-Anne Gadhia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very good benefits, everyone is heart like family (in 8 reviews)

• Some great people who are genuinely committed to making a difference (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, Branson would be ashamed (in 7 reviews)

• A lot of the store managers are stuck in the Northern Rock mindset (in 9 reviews)

1. "Generally good role"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Wolverhampton, England
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Wolverhampton, England

I worked at Virgin Money full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, pay reviews and bonus- depending on performance. Small teams which means good relationships with team. Nice modern offices, with good IT and in house systems. Nice face to face environment with customers

Cons

Little opportunity to progress as due to a small team there a limited amount of roles to be taken unless you willing to travel. There is travel required where you have to cover other areas of the business at short notice

Advice to Management

N/a

"Horrendous"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Gosforth, North East England, England

I worked at Virgin Money full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The onsite shop, gym and chill out area.
    The Brand.

Cons

I Worked in the Direct area within Mortgage Processing. An extremely Toxic, negative department.
    My first week as a new employee told me everything I needed to know. No actual Training, just listening and observing established advisors which was to be followed by "On The Job Training". Disgraceful for a company this size.
    The biggest problem though was the complete lack of support from the "managers" in this area. Disengaged and toxic people offering zero support, zero empathy, and zero managerial and people skills. The worst managers in my 20 years of working, just plain terrible.
    All I can say is avoid working in Direct Mortgage Processing, I do not wish to be negative about Virgin Money as a whole, just this department.
    Mr Branson would be appalled.

Advice to Management

See Above.

3. "If you like a challenge"

I have been working at Virgin Money full-time

Pros

ever changing environment, good training available for those who look for it

Cons

If you want a quiet 9 to 5 job don't work here

5. "Customer service"

I have been working at Virgin Money full-time

Pros

plenty of overtime if you want it

Cons

add new skills but no pay rise

Advice to Management

look after the genuine staff

6. "Exciting Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Virgin Money part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Virgin Money manages to combine all the excitement of being part of the very cool Virgin empire with the career development opportunities of a substantial bank. Ethically the bank is first rate with enormous genuine attention paid to treating customers fairly and well and attending to the spirit not just the letter of regulation.

Cons

Like all well controlled financial services organisations there is not always as much empowerment of staff as there might be ...

Advice to Management

Trust people more .... and welcome challenge ...

"Stone Age Bank"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Kendal, England
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Kendal, England

I worked at Virgin Money (More than a year)

Pros

Met Richard Branson on my first trip to HQ

Cons

- Stone Age computer systems
    - They don't listen to what the customer wants... Online banking!
    - Pretends they don't sell to customers and that employees don't have targets, but managers push you to sell everything under the sun and you get into trouble if you don't push for 'targets'
    - A lot of the store managers are stuck in the Northern Rock mindset
    - Got told I would only be working 1 in 4 Saturdays each month, (the reason why I took the job so that I could have a better work life balance), in reality I ended up having one Saturday off roughly every two months.

Advice to Management

Become a better bank that really does make 'Everyone Better Off'... Currently it just seems that you're running our own show and not listening to employees

"Bonkers company, but good working conditions"

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Gosforth, North East England, England
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Gosforth, North East England, England

I have been working at Virgin Money full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From what i have seen, a genuine effort to treat employees and customers better than your average bank.

Cons

Completely crazy CEO who hires and fires on a whim. Many of the board have been with the company since it was tiny and have absolutely no idea how to run a larger organisation. For a company that calls itself a "digital bank", investment in IT modernisation is miniscule.

Advice to Management

Get a CEO who actually knows how to run a bank.

9. "Good people, give them the time to make you world class"

I worked at Virgin Money (More than a year)

Pros

Great people

decent working environment

Strong brand, do their best to live the values

real desire to build the business

varied work, learn a lot

Cons

They just don't provide the resource to deliver. Most people are working long hours to deliver the BAU, which leaves little or no time to deliver the stuff that will take the company forward. It's not a capability gap (people I worked with were all fairly capable, no real deadwood), or a lack of desire to drive the business forward, just simply hours in the day.

Come here to lean new and varied skills, meet interesting people. Try not to burn out / make allowances for the occasional fireworks from otherwise solid folk whose fuses have burnt low.

Advice to Management

You have capable staff - create the time for them to make you a real challenger.

10. "Ok company"

I have been working at Virgin Money full-time

Pros

Good benefits great salry nice ppl

Cons

Nothing to complain bout great company

Advice to Management

Be less hirearical more fun

"Awful fake of a company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Virgin Money full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some nice people, some not so nice

Cons

Fakery, lies, double standards, and selfishness abounds. Upper management are appalling, and the CEO runs a dictatorship which is holding back the company greatly.

Contracted hours mean NOTHING, and quite honestly, working the non-mandatory (but really mandatory) extra hours on a daily basis is modern day slavery since these people do not get paid for this! Very, very rarely do they get time in lieu.

Also, please note that there are some very suspicious reviews on this site and others, so please beware. And don't forget that 1 star is the lowest that can be awarded, not 0 stars unfortunately

Advice to Management

Stop running the company as one of your own little vanity projects. These are people's lives and they are not slaves. Slavery is working for no money, so STOP making people do it!!