hVIVO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1.9
hVIVO CEO Kym Denny
Kym Denny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We are lucky that we have an opportunity to make a difference to the world with what we do (in 4 reviews)

• Some really good people to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are bullies within the Senior Management Team and their behaviour towards individuals is at times deplorable (in 16 reviews)

• No one else is left and all the good people have left (in 5 reviews)

"A mixed bag"

Pros

This company was made of highly motivated people, a great team spirit and high performance (everybody did go the 'extra mile'). The work environment and offices are nice; although some of the IT infrastructure is a bit dated. Communication within the company has improved over time. Good company values were introduced some time ago, but as so often not reinforced.

Cons

The management might call it ‘vibrant and energetic’, if you have a closer look it is a mix of chaos, panic, firefighting, internal politics and a lack of people skills and giving direction to the people. The motivation has gone down to zero and most people are ready to move on… and a lot of people do.
    The company purpose is an amazing one. But while aiming for achieving the ‘Big Picture Goals’, the management forgets to achieve the goals which are paying the bills.
    So again and again people are made redundant and on top of that more people are leaving.

Advice to Management

A free pizza every now and then doesn’t make a good company. People want direction, achievable goals, good managers with people skills and most important security regarding their work place – unfortunately hVIVO cannot deliver on any of these. Get these things back on track and you will be rewarded by excellent performance and by retaining staff within the company.

"A wrong decision"

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is good. At 5:00 pm everybody leaves as if the office was a haunted house. Some people don't even show up since they are "working from home". However, the stress goes home with you.

This place is ideal if you are pursuing a PhD in sociology or in psychiatry.

Cons

Something that shocked me when I worked in hVIVO was that it is common to hear coworkers complaining, even if you just met them, and talking openly about job applications elsewhere. The turnover rate is high. People are unhappy but the company is so used to people leaving that when employees complain, they do nothing about it. It looks like they automatically assume that if you haven't gone yet is because you don't have a choice.

hVIVO doesn't value their staff, even if they perform well. Benefits are poor and the bonus is ridiculous if it even exists - except for the CEO and other directives. There is no possibility of career growth in general and no training whatsoever. You can try to "adapt to the new direction of the company" and learn new skills, but you will be doing so on your own and you won't get recognition at all.

Management loves to use buzzwords such as "change", "fast-paced", and "disruptive" but these commonly translate into "chaos", "we do things randomly" and "we change direction constantly because we don't have a clue of what we are doing". Of course, employees don't believe in the mission of the company. Same applies to the "values", which only HR is keen on. hVIVO is so disruptive that most of the times they even disrupt common sense.

There is not much else to add to the previous comments. Seriously, think twice before joining and make sure you understand what you are getting into. I suggest you try to understand how a company like this makes money and to have a look at the financial information. Apart from all this, if you are a person who likes work to be done properly and to make a difference, you'll feel stressed, powerless and angry most of the time.

This is a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers are unqualified, so there is no point in giving them advice. Perhaps, to stop saying nonsense and to do some self-criticism.

"hVivote leave"

Former Employee - Clinical
    Former Employee - Clinical

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If variation is what you crave then the high turnover of staff will ensure you always have new colleagues to get to know and get along with.

Staff do's are always alcohol fuelled to ensure people momentarily forget the company for which they work for.

The 'shop floor' is full of people that are hard working, driven, willing to learn and looking to forge a career in research (before all of this, along with morale, is sucked from them, leaving only an empty shell of what once was).

Cons

Before day one of my employment I was informed by a friend that she too had been offered (only a few months prior) the same role at what was retroscreen virology - only for it to be snatched away at the last minute as the company underwent a change in nomenclature; in what I can only assume was an attempt to cover the past and 'reinvent' themselves. I wondered, would I succumb to the same fate as my friend. Alas, no - I clearly was not as lucky.

I arrived on day one foolishly full of enthusiasm and charisma, ready for a new challenge in an exciting field. This soon changed.

Hvivo are not exempt from the constant
    variation that is required to 'keep up'
    in this industry but the company needs
    volition that will stop this reoccurring
    or it will continue as a sinking ship.

In my short employment there were three
    separate redundancies.

Something has to change quickly with the
    hierarchy, the people that are making
    instinctive, knee jerk decisions that lead
    to more people leaving.

Advice to Management

Start listening to people who work hard with what is essentially the company's bread and butter - completing trials. Make a decision and stick with it - at least for long enough to avoid immediate redundancies. Make changes to the exec teams and the people making these decisions (and collecting five figure bonuses in the process whilst the minions are handed enough for a night out, 20 chicken nuggets and a taxi home).

"Some wonderful people, somee terrible managers"

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once upon a time it had a great sense of belonging, everyone was friendly and it felt like a team. Some career opportunity before they spent all their money else where.

Cons

Senior leadership. Business functions. Too many new heads / members of management thinking they can 'improve' the business when really they just get caught up in the usual politics and only contribute to it getting worse. Poor money management! Too many redundancies and silly commitments. Employees are not put first, just those at the top who get all the benefits. Extremely disengaged workforce and I believe it has only gotten worse recently. Such a shame as it was such a great, fun and friendly place to work before. Have lost some great business support employees - those who people trusted and could talk too. Now there are only 1 or 2 people to trust. No one else is left and all the good people have left. Tried to roll out an employee focused strategy and it fell flat on its face due to management not being strong and skillful leaders.

Advice to Management

Look beyond your nose and consider the great employees you have lost along the way - especially remembering those who made it such a open and successful place to work and be a part of. Be realistic and care about people.

"Needs a lot of changes"

Former Employee - Clinical in London, England
    Former Employee - Clinical in London, England

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, some really genuine hard workers with a great team ethic

Cons

Poor management, no career progression, greedy executives who show no remorse when laying off multiple people whilst recieving enormous bonuses

Advice to Management

Share the wealth, you were the ones who didnt perform and didnt get the clients in, the workers were the ones who suffered

"All the joys of management"

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Whitechapel, England
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Whitechapel, England

Pros

There were some great people, with great ideas. The office was really friendly.

Cons

The management do not engage at all. They get all the bonuses whilst the staff get redundancy. How is this right. If the MHRA looked closely they would be worried.

Advice to Management

Sort it out. It's not a pension scheme for you. Give the staff a chance.

"leaders can not lead with such lack of morals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local pub is a good way to meet some staff that you dont get to speak to at work
    Great employees sprInkled across the business, little at management slevel and next to none at senior level

Cons

Seems that the high level management do not care about people and stop at nothing to line their pockets
    life looks limited in the falling personal and share price
    constant changes mean revisiting methods that have been tried to attempt to be innovative, pointless/expensive so why do it so much

Advice to Management

Speak to staff, see what could work or works before changing our procedures
    Values are a joke if leaders dont follow them
    stop hiring contactors who are there for short term
    Try to educate senior "leader" how to be moral and considerate

"In awe"

I worked at hVIVO part-time

Pros

Some really good people to work with. Young atmosphere so socials are a common place, the hours aren't bad and you don't take your work home.

Cons

Constant restructures resulting in letting go of people whilst management are clueless of what is happening. They need to reassess company culture.

Advice to Management

Spend some time with people in all areas and find out what is the problem before making assumptions on figures.

6 Mar 2017 – Director of Marketing, Communication and Public Relations

Thanks for your comments which are noted. The organisation is a dynamic place to work for sure, and change is increasingly a constant, especially in the realms of novel drug research and discovery... More

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet great people, very friendly life-long friends. Tends to be a relaxed informal work life with most managers. Some extremely intelligent people with good ideas.

Cons

Pay isn't great for lower levels. Continuous restructures due to the hiring of too many people led to many people leaving. Overall benefits improving but still poor.

Advice to Management

Much improve the day to day work life with certain benefits INCLUDING and most importantly wages, rather than hiring extra. Hire people with actual experience in that role, not just friends of friends.

8 Feb 2017 – Director of Marketing, Communication and Public Relations

Thanks for your comments, and good luck for the future. We appreciate your thoughts and observations. Yes, we believe we have some great people working here and work hard to recruit on merit, develop... More

"If you like a challenge..."

I have been working at hVIVO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff friendly and supportive, new values introduced (but have since been forgotten), new benefits introduced (but mainly for higher grade roles), CEO and CFBO friendly and approachable

Cons

Constant change and restructure/ redundancies with high turnover of staff, very reactive, ever changing priorities, lots of high level staff and support services but not enough staff to get the work done

Advice to Management

Better cascade to staff of information, stop adding high level VP roles, remember to say thank you

7 Feb 2017 – Director of Marketing, Communication and Public Relations

Thanks for your comments. We’re hoping that some of the points you make have been addressed with our focus on our values being a cornerstone of our staff awards for 2016 (nominations for staff in... More