hVIVO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1.9
hVIVO CEO Kym Denny
Kym Denny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• The people - Hard working intelligent, experienced staff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, no career progression, greedy executives who show no remorse when laying off multiple people whilst recieving enormous bonuses (in 5 reviews)

• No one else is left and all the good people have left (in 5 reviews)

"Don't believe the negative nonsense"

Current Employee - Clinical in London, England
    Current Employee - Clinical in London, England

Pros

Pioneering and passionate in pursuit of new breakthroughs to cure asthma flu and Zika Teams working really hard and recent efforts to
    Improve communication good. Pizza day last week was a nice thank you touch
    Some good new leaders joining
    Hpurs good

Cons

The Exec are working hard to communicate I work in hsite and My department head and the managers need to do more to communicate and update the team and create some fun alongside the hard work

Advice to Management

Too many managers.
    Carry on with recent changes in communication
    More and better communication updates from my manager and leader

hVIVO Response

7 Feb 2017 – Director of Marketing, Communication and Public Relations

Thanks for your comments. It is a vibrant and energetic working environment in the main, and of course exciting when working on pioneering new breakthroughs for global disease threats. Appreciate... More

2. "Lab Technician"

Pros

Innovative, Research, client service, laboratories

Cons

No much inner research, but treatment of samples for external clients

"AVOID AVOID AVOID"

Current Employee - Grafter in London, England
    Current Employee - Grafter in London, England

I have been working at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively near a big Sainsbury's so useful for shopping.

Cons

I hope there isn't a word count for this. Where to start? I was sold on the innovative, friendly, pioneering company that was described to me in my interview 2 years prior to me leaving what can only be described as a sinking ship. I was lucky enough to work with some really excellent individuals, some of whom actually knew what they were doing. The vast majority of staff arrived at work in the morning wondering what changes have been decided by the more than useless upper tier, in what was no doubt another full banqueted meeting away from the prying eyes of the true work force.
    Hard work and dedication counted for absolutely nothing, zip. However if you slept with the right person, POW, upper management!
    Countless great ideas came spewing forth from those doing the daily grind of trying to meet unreal expectations of those so detached from the reality that it actually stopped being a surprise when we were told of yet another company restructure. I was only there 2 years and saw three 'restructuring' which if they were honest wasn't a restructure it was much more of a 'we have yet again underperformed so let’s sack some people and save money in the short term'.
    Staff poured through that company like sand through Dear Liza’s bucket!
    Having said that, although they went through clinical staff like a hot knife through butter, those lucky enough the receive bonuses often twice that of the annual wage of an average employee merely sat in their offices planning the next luxury holiday or golfing trip, knowing they were onto a winner. In the same month that they made multiple people redundant, the upper echelons of the company received enormous bonuses, it was and is a joke. In one of the aforementioned restructurings they replaced some mid-level managers, some staff thought actually thought things were going to change for the better, but oh no, they should have known better. These new 'managers' were told about the issues staff had: changes to job descriptions, low staffing, inadequate training, poor career progression etc. Optimism began to bloom and then reality came back with aplomb.
    The same excuses and the same empty promises began rattling around the department. ‘Oh yes we are listening, oh yes we do care, oh yes we understand, oh yes we won’t keep over subscribing clinics and then not staffing appropriately’ It was all total codswallop.
    I don’t know what is going on there now but I can guarantee with the same dishonest incompetent managers it won’t have improved, in fact I bet the staff are still being told the same old lies time and time again naively hoping that this time they really do mean it.
    As for the company they don’t even know what they are, they aren’t a ‘real’ research company, when I was there they were looking at ‘branching out’ Pfft, if they can’t do one thing correctly I do not think they should start on another venture.
    They bring in people who are really talented and motivated and then totally misuse them by putting them in relentless meetings, changing the goal posts and job descriptions until they see the light and leave too.
    I don’t think the company’s future is bright, not without a massive overhaul and that just isn’t going to happen. As for current employees, keep your fingers crossed for a redundancy pay out, oh wait, they scam people out of those too!!!

Advice to Management

STOP LYING!!!!

"A croc of s##t"

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, unless you got a catered meeting.

Cons

A hole of hell, no senior manager has the balls to say what's wrong. Redundancy after redundancy, then use bank staff to make up the numbers. Any company that is brave enough to place a clinical trial here needs to instal their QA on site for the whole trial, corners cut everywhere. How they get through MHRA inspections is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Give up, you are crap

"Plain bad"

Pros

Central, free coffee, nice offices

Cons

Bad management, no career progression

Advice to Management

Resign

"Worst Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at hVIVO full-time

Pros

None, worst managemt in london

Cons

Again none, worst place to work

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

"A wrong decision"

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is good. At 5:00 pm everybody leaves as if the office was a haunted house. Some people don't even show up since they are "working from home". However, the stress goes home with you.

This place is ideal if you are pursuing a PhD in sociology or in psychiatry.

Cons

Something that shocked me when I worked in hVIVO was that it is common to hear coworkers complaining, even if you just met them, and talking openly about job applications elsewhere. The turnover rate is high. People are unhappy but the company is so used to people leaving that when employees complain, they do nothing about it. It looks like they automatically assume that if you haven't gone yet is because you don't have a choice.

hVIVO doesn't value their staff, even if they perform well. Benefits are poor and the bonus is ridiculous if it even exists - except for the CEO and other directives. There is no possibility of career growth in general and no training whatsoever. You can try to "adapt to the new direction of the company" and learn new skills, but you will be doing so on your own and you won't get recognition at all.

Management loves to use buzzwords such as "change", "fast-paced", and "disruptive" but these commonly translate into "chaos", "we do things randomly" and "we change direction constantly because we don't have a clue of what we are doing". Of course, employees don't believe in the mission of the company. Same applies to the "values", which only HR is keen on. hVIVO is so disruptive that most of the times they even disrupt common sense.

There is not much else to add to the previous comments. Seriously, think twice before joining and make sure you understand what you are getting into. I suggest you try to understand how a company like this makes money and to have a look at the financial information. Apart from all this, if you are a person who likes work to be done properly and to make a difference, you'll feel stressed, powerless and angry most of the time.

This is a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers are unqualified, so there is no point in giving them advice. Perhaps, to stop saying nonsense and to do some self-criticism.

"A mixed bag"

Pros

This company was made of highly motivated people, a great team spirit and high performance (everybody did go the 'extra mile'). The work environment and offices are nice; although some of the IT infrastructure is a bit dated. Communication within the company has improved over time. Good company values were introduced some time ago, but as so often not reinforced.

Cons

The management might call it ‘vibrant and energetic’, if you have a closer look it is a mix of chaos, panic, firefighting, internal politics and a lack of people skills and giving direction to the people. The motivation has gone down to zero and most people are ready to move on… and a lot of people do.
    The company purpose is an amazing one. But while aiming for achieving the ‘Big Picture Goals’, the management forgets to achieve the goals which are paying the bills.
    So again and again people are made redundant and on top of that more people are leaving.

Advice to Management

A free pizza every now and then doesn’t make a good company. People want direction, achievable goals, good managers with people skills and most important security regarding their work place – unfortunately hVIVO cannot deliver on any of these. Get these things back on track and you will be rewarded by excellent performance and by retaining staff within the company.

"hVivote leave"

Former Employee - Clinical
    Former Employee - Clinical

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If variation is what you crave then the high turnover of staff will ensure you always have new colleagues to get to know and get along with.

Staff do's are always alcohol fuelled to ensure people momentarily forget the company for which they work for.

The 'shop floor' is full of people that are hard working, driven, willing to learn and looking to forge a career in research (before all of this, along with morale, is sucked from them, leaving only an empty shell of what once was).

Cons

Before day one of my employment I was informed by a friend that she too had been offered (only a few months prior) the same role at what was retroscreen virology - only for it to be snatched away at the last minute as the company underwent a change in nomenclature; in what I can only assume was an attempt to cover the past and 'reinvent' themselves. I wondered, would I succumb to the same fate as my friend. Alas, no - I clearly was not as lucky.

I arrived on day one foolishly full of enthusiasm and charisma, ready for a new challenge in an exciting field. This soon changed.

Hvivo are not exempt from the constant
    variation that is required to 'keep up'
    in this industry but the company needs
    volition that will stop this reoccurring
    or it will continue as a sinking ship.

In my short employment there were three
    separate redundancies.

Something has to change quickly with the
    hierarchy, the people that are making
    instinctive, knee jerk decisions that lead
    to more people leaving.

Advice to Management

Start listening to people who work hard with what is essentially the company's bread and butter - completing trials. Make a decision and stick with it - at least for long enough to avoid immediate redundancies. Make changes to the exec teams and the people making these decisions (and collecting five figure bonuses in the process whilst the minions are handed enough for a night out, 20 chicken nuggets and a taxi home).

"Some wonderful people, somee terrible managers"

I worked at hVIVO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once upon a time it had a great sense of belonging, everyone was friendly and it felt like a team. Some career opportunity before they spent all their money else where.

Cons

Senior leadership. Business functions. Too many new heads / members of management thinking they can 'improve' the business when really they just get caught up in the usual politics and only contribute to it getting worse. Poor money management! Too many redundancies and silly commitments. Employees are not put first, just those at the top who get all the benefits. Extremely disengaged workforce and I believe it has only gotten worse recently. Such a shame as it was such a great, fun and friendly place to work before. Have lost some great business support employees - those who people trusted and could talk too. Now there are only 1 or 2 people to trust. No one else is left and all the good people have left. Tried to roll out an employee focused strategy and it fell flat on its face due to management not being strong and skillful leaders.

Advice to Management

Look beyond your nose and consider the great employees you have lost along the way - especially remembering those who made it such a open and successful place to work and be a part of. Be realistic and care about people.