Abcam Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Abcam Interview Questions

Interviews at Abcam

2.8

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam in August 2020.

Interview

Sourced by Talent Scout through LinkedIn. Spoke to Talent Scout via phone, video interviews with hiring manager and director of talent and then video interview with head of talent team.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come and work at Abcam?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Had 2 interviews. They wanted to start early but I couldn't. Overall they were friendly. They cracked a few jokes and the interview process went smoothly. The second interview with scientist was very ninsightful.

Account Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

The interview had 2 phone screenings and then 2 skype phone calls. The recruiter was in constant contact providing updates regarding the hiring process and it was a great interview experience.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Branford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Abcam (Branford, CT (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

First a phone conversation with my prospective manager. Then I was brought on site to give a 30 min presentation to the team I would work with, followed by 30 min 1:1 meetings with ~5 of these individuals at different levels. Each person was engaged and personable and made me feel welcome.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had a difficult coworker and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Interview

Spoke with some people in the department, they asked me questions I answered them. They were very cordial and made accommodations for the dates and times that worked for me. I was first contacted by a recruiter, took an online math/verbal test then was passed on to someone in the department to do a face to face interview.

Marketing Events Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Abcam.

Interview

The interview was over the phone. Interviewer was not very personable. There was a rapid fire of questions and the interviewer did not interact with my answers. Seemed like the interviewer was just trying to quickly go through a list of questions and came off as unfriendly. Definitely left a bad impression of the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Abcam.

Interview

Easy and friendly. I was familiar with one of the interviewers. I felt comfortable and confident that I would get the job. Even if I didn't have all the skills they were looking for.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Abcam in April 2017.

Interview

I was told about the opening from a friend of mine and emailed my resume to the Manager of the department. She asked me to apply online, which I did. I then was given a phone interview. I was told that then next step was a two hour interview and testing. The main problem was that she would never return phone calls or emails. This went on for a month and a half with no reply. I found out from a Staffing Agency that I did not cut it by accident, Abcam decided to go through the agency. They could not be bothered to let me know...so unprofessional!

Desktop Support Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

S. called from HR in Boston, I called back and he returned that call minutes later. I had a stupid error on my resume, which he took as the basis to suspiciously question me as if I was trying to deceive him. This set the tone for the entire interview. He wasn't outright mocking me, but he did lecture me 3 times for no apparent reason other than to make me feel ignorant and assert his dominance rather than ask me what I meant or to clarify what I said. He was like a cop in an interrogation room asking me why I am so nervous. In fairness, it went bad immediately and I never fully recovered.

He said they had a surprising number of candidates and he knew how he felt about my suspicious "lack of formal training" before he called, so why didn't he just delete my resume?

Definitely a low water mark for me, but I haven't had to go through other jaded, fully corporate HRs officers yet. I did learn quite a bit from the experience and made a few changes to my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your job?
      Why do you want to work for Abcam?
      Describe the CompTIA A+ Certification.   1 Answer

Lab Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

One of the most unprofessional companies I have ever come across. Do not apply for an Abcam job. I learned all that I needed about the company culture through the interview process.

My process started online where I had submitted an application. I then received a voicemail and an email around 4 weeks later asking for a phone interview. Since I currently work, having a phone interview out of the blue is near impossible and things like this must be arranged ahead of time. However, despite my repeated attempts to reply to the recruiter through email, I did not get a response. At the same time, the recruiter keeps trying to call me randomly. So I then try to call them back when I am available. As luck would have it, both of us failed to reach one another through randomly calling when one was available. I kept leaving voicemails asking the recruiter to please arrange a time through email but this never happened. Finally, after a week and a half of back and forth, I received another call but was in the middle of an important meeting at my current position. Having had enough of this nonsense, I excused myself from the meeting feigning an emergency and immediately called the recruiter back. I go through a few generic questions about why I was interested in the position. Throughout the phone interview, the recruiter kept rushing through and was strangely curt.

At the end, the recruiter asks me how much notice I would need should they choose to ask me to come in for an in person interview. I reply back saying a standard weeks worth of notice would be sufficient. The recruiter acts bewildered, asks me why I would need so much time and says they would only give a single days notice. Well, I currently work, my schedule is packed, and meetings and appointments are decided well in advance. Apparently, this is in huge contrast with Abcam, which I assume does everything on a last minute basis. Reluctantly, I agreed to a single days notice and that was that. A week later, I receive an email asking me for an in person interview for the next day. I had to pull some strings at my job and somehow made it work.

The location in Kendall Square is absolutely a mess. There are no signs outside the building and the job posting failed to mention that the job was not at the Abcam main office, but at a subsidery of Abcam. (still in Kendall Square) The communication from Abcam also failed to mention that the main door, which was unmarked, was locked and required that I contact them to open the door. The inside of the building and the Abcam subsidery offices were run down and very unsightly. Be prepared for silly questions during the interview.

After the interview, I ask the interviewer specifically if Abcam would notify me about whether or not they would offer me the position. I know of many other companies that just do not notify you if an offer isn't made. Some specifically say that a lack of contact would mean that an offer wasn't made, but Abcam's communication did not include such a phrase. I waited 2 weeks and there was no response from Abcam. I then called the interviewer directly and asked them about the status of my application. Acting surprised, the interviewer tells me that she thought the Abcam HR department had contacted me a week ago about the offer. Right on the spot, I declined the offer, said my good-byes, and hung up. This is not a company worth working for.

Lessons learned here are as follows. Abcam has no sense of proper scheduling, works on a last minute basis, and has an internal communication problem among others that one would surely find out upon actually working for them. A complete waste of time. Avoid at all costs.

Interview Questions

• How many McDonalds exist in the US?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.