Direct Line Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Direct Line Group Interview Questions

Updated 12 Oct 2017

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dickson, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Dickson, TN (US)) in December 2011.

Interview

The initial contact was via online application. From that point it involved a 1:1 with the owner-president and then followed by a 1:1 with the VP of sales.

Both meetings took approximately 90 minutes and were followed up with additional interviews that were similar. There were no skills tests or background investigations prior to the offer. I confirmed that information from my previous employer.

Interview Questions

• How will you ensure the sales staff stays on target with production?   Answer Question
    • You'll be essentially a project manager for our largest customer who's onsite. How comfortable are you with external management and daily, high, customer demands?   Answer Question

Very disorganized. The owner was more interested in wanting to know what others thought about him (in a negative way) and the VP of sales was difficult to get any feedback from (a salesperson, yep, right).

All in all the environment needed major overhauls and the good ol' boy mentality of paying management more rather than spreading pay to improve a structure was in play. They both openly spoke negatively about their entire staff's compentency and the future of the company.

I have sympathy for employees working there and they have no idea......

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Direct Line Group.

Interview

First it was the telephone interview. All they ask if some background info about you and copetancy questions. After I found out I got that I was invited to the assessment centre. There got some information about the job role and company. Most questions are competancy again about their values. After this you have to do a scenario based question about keeping a customer from leaving the company which is very straight forward.

Apprentice Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Leeds, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward interview process, telephone interview offered after application followed by face-to-face interview and group exercise. All interviewers were very friendly and approachable (over the phone and in branch). Face-to-face interview was relaxed and not as formal as expected. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions were based around the company's values (these can be found on their website). The interviewer was looking for examples of situations in which you had used these values. Interviewer didn't expect masses of information just brief examples.   Answer Question
    • Questions were informal, focussed on finding out more about you as a person rather than as a candidate.   Answer Question

11 Sep 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Fantastic to hear about your interview experience at Direct Line Group. Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Sales and Service Apprenticeship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Leeds, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Firstly after successfully completing the online assessments I got a telephone interview 1 week later. The telephone interview was great, line was a bit quite but didn't really effect the flow of the interview, had to keep asking the interviewer to repeat himself but he understood why. It was a basic interview that had some standard interview questions that you would expect and also a couple of STAR based questions that, if you do your research, are pretty easy to answer. Waited for a little while after my interview to see if i was successful, once i found out i was successful the interviewer gave me some really great tips that helped me prepare for my face to face interview.

The face to face interview happened a week after my phone interview and it was nothing how i expected it to be (in a good way). It was very relaxed I was in a group of 4 and we started the day with a group activity, was very simple and easy to talk about, the group i was in were very helpful as we all helped each other talk and get our thoughts in so nobody was left out. Then came the interview, i was with 2 very nice people and the interview overall was very relaxed and was almost like a conversation. Just questions learning about what kind of person you are, what you have done in the past and what interests you in the business. They then asked a few questions about their values and how you have used them in your life before. So long as you do your revision you should be fine.
    Overall it was a very fun and relaxed interview process, really enjoyed it and i am looking forward to starting with the company.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bristol, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by email a couple of days later for a telephone interview. I passed the telephone interview and was asked to come in for a face to face interview and role play assessment which was 2 weeks later. I was asked a lot of competency based questions as well as describing what I did in previous employments. I had to do a role play based on some information that I was given ten minutes to read.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you haven't met a target and what you would do next time to make sure you do.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Doncaster, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Doncaster, England) in September 2017.

Interview

The process includes a telephone interview as well as an on-site face-to-face interview/telephone roleplay.

The telephone interview was straightforward. I was asked about my employment history and then answered a couple of competency-based interview questions. After being put on hold for a minute or so I was informed I'd made it through to the next part of the process.

As part of my face-to-face interview I was asked about my employment history and answered a series of competencey based questions which focused on the key skills needed for the role.

After this I took part in a telephone role play. I was given ten minutes to familiarise myself with an example motor insurance product which I then had to sell to my interviewer over the phone, all the while writing down key personal data.

A couple of days later I was informed I had been successful.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you experienced great customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were able to exceed a customer's expectations   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you sold a product   Answer Question

Operative Processing Centre Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group.

Interview

Had a phone call from HR for the role I applied customer service advisor and have been rejected for fair reason and feedback was given which was fair.

I applied the second role and I have passed the telephone interview and had a face to face very relaxed by the staff. Answered every question they asked and will let me know within next week. So far no email or call so I had to call up and find out about my application and officially it was unsuccessful.

I'm truly dissatisfied about this recruitment process and already has shown me the impression about directline are unprofessional about not informing their candidates and I am discouraged to apply. Any roles again in the future.

Interview Questions

Direct Line Group Response

9 Aug 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

We're sorry to hear you have not had the best experience during our recruitment process. We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments will be taken on board.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online, 2 weeks later received an email to pick a phone interview slot. Interviewer explained salary and benefits and asked a few details about my past job and current job. Phone was crackly and cut out a few times so he rang me back several times throughout the interview, spoiled the flow.
    He called his manager to ask about me starting in the next wave as I had a holiday booked during the training time.
    Got asked competency questions, was a little awkward as all I could hear was loud typing so it was like talking to myself which put me off a little!

Received an email saying I'd not gotten to the face to face stage, hardly surprising when I only have experience as a nursery nurse and the targets question caught me off guard. But I was happy to actually be contacted about not getting the job. :)

Interview Questions

Direct Line Group Response

18 Aug 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to review our recruitment process. We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments will be taken on board.

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bromley, England) in August 2017.

Interview

I was expecting Chloe (Portfolio Manager) according to my interview letter (through Agency) but ended up with 2 interviewer without notify me that it was a panel interview. Both of the guy were so decent and relax though they seemed to me not a regular person to take interviews (from my experience as a interviewer). But they were nice and didnt asked too many questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing special. Very friendly regular question to catch up my experiences and skills.   1 Answer

22 Aug 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding our recruitment process. We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments will be taken on board.

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bromley, England) in August 2017.

Interview

I completed the online application, heard back in about three days that I had got through to the assessment tests and then a day later I heard that I had been invited to phone interview. This was a really fast feedback, but I think they were trying to get graduates to the assessment centre as soon as possible! My phone interview took about half an hour but it felt more relaxed than other telephone interviews I had previously done.
    I was invited to an assessment centre and I asked to go to the one in Bromley as that was nearer to me. I found out this was their second intake so there wasn't much on glassdoor to prepare me for the assessment centre so I felt like I was going in blind a bit, so I'll give a long review here!
    Direct Line Group had lots of graduates who were already on the scheme to talk to us about their experience on the day as well. We all had our own itinerary for the day (the day started at 8.30 or so and I left at 3) so that they could manage the interviews and the assessments. On the email we were told to arrive half an hour early and I think almost everyone did this - and a few people were 10-20 minutes early on top of the half hour! If you go to the assessment centre I’d arrive early. Everyone seemed nice and friendly on the assessment day. I was given an hour for lunch (they had a variety of sandwiches), and when we arrived there was tea and coffee. We all made small talk with each other and the other graduates on the programme before the presentation.
    At first we had a presentation by the person responsible for marketing and a senior HR person. I though it was good that there were quite high ranking people there as it meant they were treated the scheme seriously. After that I was led away with two other candidates to three rooms for our interview. This was only half an hour and covered similar questions to the ones asked in the phone interview. The person interviewing me put me at ease quite easily, but as there was only half an hour for the interview she said she’d be asking a few follow up questions if there was anything missing. All the questions were competency based (can you describe a time when…) which I’ve done a few off before. There was a small gap at the end for me to ask questions.
    After this, I had a test which was like a game on an ipad that was to measure my personality. Then there was a tea break, and a group exercise. We had three people watching the group exercise, but everyone in the group was friendly and cooperative although the group exercise did feel quite awkward as we all had our own agenda to push. We had to present our final conclusions at the end.
    During all of the breaks and gaps in the day there were graduates who were already on the programme who were available to ask questions and generally chat with them. They all seemed positive about the scheme and spoke about their individual responsibilities. Then I had an online test and a case study. I found the case study part the hardest of the day, as there was a lot of information to process and then the two people speaking to me about the case study had a lot to write down. I also found the ipad part a little hard as I don't play a lot of games on my phone, but I think they were assessing how you completed the games (e.g. are you a risk taker or do you play it safe a lot) rather than whether you were the best at the games. There was also a verbal test to see if you had cheated on the online tests. This one let you say how confident you are in your answer.
    I think that was everything on the day but it passed in such a blur! I left feeling fairly positive about how it had went, but I was not convinced I had done well enough to get the role. They said they’d spend four weeks to reply but I got a phone call the next day saying I’d got through which I was really pleased with (but I think it must vary a lot based on when you apply and for which areas.
    Definitely look up their company goals so that you can make sure you demonstrate them in the assessment centre and make sure you're aware of their business model and how they operate.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time when you aimed higher?   1 Answer

25 Aug 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to review our recruitment process. We love to see that you've had a great experience with us!

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.