Direct Line Group Reviews

Updated 2 Jul 2020

Direct Line Group CEO Penny James
Penny James
Pros
  • "I have worked for the company for 5 years and I must say the company is really looking after my work life balance(in 56 reviews)

• "They also offer very good benefits and really look after their staff(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • "Location is not central London (Bromley)(in 31 reviews)

• "Inconsistent team leaders, poor pay rises(in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Consultant in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best things about dlg are the people everyone works as a team. The management are very approachable and they value you. I have worked here for 9 years and not looking another career.

Cons

Just do what they ask. Do your job and you will be rewarded. Theres no challenges.

March 31, 2020Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Thanks for your review, great to hear you enjoying working here.

2. "Really trying hard"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

A very caring and well-intentioned organisation. The CEO is very 'human' and the organisation reflects that. You're encouraged to push against unnecessary hierarchy and challenge others. Benefits are great. Half price car insurance makes for a big saving for some people. Extremely flexible attitude. As long as the work gets done, they don't care where you do it. Support and investment in training for a lot of colleagues. Nation-wide, so some degree of opportunities all around the country. Work can be interesting and cutting-edge, particularly in Change.

Cons

Systems! Citrix VM is terrible and you're forced to used this whether at home or in the office. Everyone should really have laptops (I have to take a notepad to a meeting and then type up notes after. Welcome to 1999). Hot Desking without proper facilitation (ie. no desk booking system). You can spend half an hour some days looking for a desk at the other end of the office. Some office sites are very dated although this is slowly changing. Most head-office jobs are in Bromley, which in 2020 is not very forward-thinking. Spread it out a bit. There's a division in the business between Claims Operations, Sales/Service Operations, and Head Office. All operate separately and it creates a silo'd dynamic. Operational senior leaders tend to be people who have been with the business for 20+ years, rising through the ranks, and therefore think they've seen it all and done it all; with an anti-intellectualism attitude. If they disagree they'll just talk over you, shout or ignore you. Head Office has some serious talent to learn from though.

June 15, 2020Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your review and it is great to hear that you enjoy working at DLG. We are currently making a large number of changes across the business including the way we work across teams as well as ensuring the right technology is in place to support our customers and how we work each day.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

Good working schedule ability to work from

Cons

hard to develop in certain teams

4. "Seamless and professional"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

A professional and friendly team. The company values really came through with all the interaction I've had so far. The interviewing and on-boarding experience has been seamless. Communication is always very clear and timely.

Cons

Only just started, too soon to comment.

5. "Good Pay - Sketchy Leadership"

Former Employee - Consultant in Bristol, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits for a call center role. Team environment is fun. Great training. Rewards excellent performance.

Cons

Quite a few team leaders focussed on their bonus than the wellbeing of their staff. Confidential information of internal staff matters were regulary breached in my experience. Dependant on department however you need to be able to withstand a high level of abuse from customers. People from my department experienced homophobic, sexist and racist abuse. Even a death threats. You need to have very thick skin for this role as a large chunk of customers do not trust the insurance sector.

6. "Personally wouldn’t recommend"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- good pay from a younger persons perspectives with hardly any bills - big company widely known and place to move around - lots of benefits (e.g discounts) - work with lots of different and kind people

Cons

- apprenticeship programme a waste of time as isn’t actually a qualification, Is just a ‘stepping stone’ - poor management, have no compassion for employees and only like you if you worship the ground they walk on - old systems hardly ever work and so outdated - constant change to hours and forced into overtime mostly during the home working meaning little to no time away from work - very repetitive and should really be advertised as a sales job as that is all the team leaders/managers really care about - some extremely unrealistic targets and little to no praise when they’re met - feels like team leaders/management spend their time building a report of everyone so they can use it against them to pull into meetings later down the line I appreciate not all of the company may be like this but from my experience and the agreement of people I have previously worked with this is what it was like for me.

Continue reading
  7. "Couldn’t work anywhere else"

Current Employee - Claims Handler in Glasgow, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good staff, management are all people oriented, lots of opportunities, good benefits, focus on mental health

Cons

Pay (but there is lots of benefits which is good)

8. "Good place to work, hard to progress"

Former Employee - Retention Specialist in Bristol, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of communication from higher management

Cons

Hard to work in other areas of the business. Targets can be difficult to manage

June 15, 2020Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hi there, thank you for your review and great to hear you enjoyed your time working for the business.

9. "Very Caring company"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

The company genuinely cares about its people. It’s a friendly and open place to work. There is a huge emphasis on the wellbeing of people.

Cons

It is a very large company that means decisions can be slow sometimes.

June 15, 2020Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hi, thank you for your review and great to hear you enjoy working at DLG.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Pricing Manager

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

Forward thinking and willing to change

Cons

Location is not central London (Bromley)

Found 568 reviews