Hotjar Software Engineer, Backend Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hotjar Software Engineer, Backend Interview Questions

Interviews at Hotjar

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hotjar in August 2019.

Interview

I've applied via angellist and had initial screening call couple of weeks ago.

I consider the interview experience quite unprofessional. When asked about expected salary I've aimed for the middle of the presented range for the role. As it turned out, the recruiter was more interested in asking how much I currently make and negotiating down the expectations than evaluating my skills.

It was implied that I'm a greedy person and with my experience (3yrs in Python) I should aim for the bottom range. My application was sent further and I was promised to receive feedback but I didn't get any. Assuming someone's skills and value by the years of experience is not very accurate, good luck with that.

Interview Questions

Hotjar Response

16 Sep 2019 – VP of Operations

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. This is not representative of how we approach compensation. Nor is it representative of our core value to "work with respect".

Because we openly post the compensation ranges for all of our positions, we generally don't discuss compensation in our screening calls unless we receive a question about the topic during a call. Simply put, we believe it is too early to have these conversations in depth. We don't know your skills and experience, and you don't know that much about us. We like to defer in-depth specifics about compensation until after we are both more informed. I'm very sorry this is not what you experienced.

Because you applied for the backend position I was able to determine who you spoke with at Hotjar. I've reviewed your feedback with them and have implemented corrective steps to ensure this does not happen in the future (for this role and any others). Thanks again for sharing your experience. While we do take experience into consideration, I can assure you we do not have a compensation model that equates to X years = Y comp.

I'm also sorry to hear that we did not close the loop with you on the status of your application. Our policy is to always provide a status to all applicants whether we are moving forward with them or not. If you email peopleops@hotjar.com I'll make sure we get you an answer promptly.

Other Interview Reviews for Hotjar

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hotjar in June 2019.

Interview

I applied online and received a response a few days later informing me that I hadn’t made it to the next round. I’ve applied to many companies in the past but since opening my own business I haven’t applied anywhere else (even turned down AWS) because I don’t think I would want to work in a company other than Hotjar or my own.

It would have been cool if I had gotten more info of how I can be better for this role, this would have helped both for myself and for me to change hiring practices in my own business in future and contribute to the list of few companies who actually care about their employees. Overall, a very good experience :)

Interview Questions

• Wish I had made it to that part. Also had a few questions of may own regarding the tech stack and whether or not the services will be migrated to Python 3 due to Python 2.7 end of life, etc...   Answer Question

Hotjar Response

26 Jun 2019 – VP of Operations

Thanks for taking the time to submit this review. It's very flattering to know that we are so high on your shortlist of companies to work for. Due to the volume of applicants we receive for most roles we prioritize providing a status of the submitted application over particular details. However, we always respond to candidates that request more details. If you'd like more in-depth information about what caused us to say no, we're happy to share. Just respond to the original email you received asking for more information. Thanks again for the review.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.