BGL Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 173 reviews

3.6
BGL Group CEO Matthew Donaldson
Matthew Donaldson
Pros
  • "BGL Group is a fantastic place to work with a range of benefits including free fruit, family fun days and a subsidised on-site gym to name but a few(in 19 reviews)

• "Care about employees, great benefits(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is even a floor at head office reserved solely for senior management and specially invited guests(in 16 reviews)

• "This is mainly seen in their Peterborough HQ where there is a hierarchical presence and a worrying lack of diversity(in 11 reviews)

1. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast paced, can make a difference, excellent working environment

Cons

Full on and not for the faint hearted

BGL Group2019-07-18
  2. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sunderland, North East England, England

I worked at BGL Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is overall good Overtime available

Cons

Get wrong for not taking breaks on time Rarely get work in leui back

Advice to Management

Ease up on people trying to follow up arranged calls with customers, or helping other staff

BGL Group2019-06-25

"Good perks but poor culture"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Peterborough, England

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some fun people to work with, great restaurant and on-site facilities. lots of money spent on parties and events.

Cons

Bit of a boys club culture. Most transparent thing was the glass offices. Often poor communication / change management

BGL Group2019-06-18
  4. "Fab company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunderland, North East England, England

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay Flexible hours Friendly people Able to voluteer Biannual awards ball Able to go overseas to places like Zambia and Laos to help less privileged people.

Cons

Hard work Some roles aren’t as well paid as others Sometimes a tendency to be reactive rather than proactive to certain things

Advice to Management

The pay is pretty good in comparison but maybe worth ensure the pay reflects the level of responsibility in each role as this is not always the case at the moment

BGL Group2019-04-24

April 29, 2019

Thanks very much for your comments - glad to hear you're still enjoying life at BGL!

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Tech Lead

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

High standard in technical staff. Focus on people and quality. Very organised. Really friendly, helpful colleagues. A positive, vibrant buzz across the floor.

Cons

I've not experienced anything I would consider a con.

BGL Group2019-04-16

April 29, 2019

Thanks for your feedback - our tech teams at all sites, including our hubs in Sunderland and London, are certainly driving lots of innovation. Thanks for your contribution!

6. "Customer service advisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, England

I worked at BGL Group full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment, young teams to work within

Cons

Management could be better, less patronising and more help

Advice to Management

Listen to staff when needing support

BGL Group2019-04-23

April 29, 2019

Thanks for your review. All feedback is valuable and we'll pass your comments on.

7. "Good benefits, poor data"

Current Employee - BI Developer

I have been working at BGL Group full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and work life balance, great culture and good people to work with

Cons

Poor data is difficult to work with for data professionals. Some upper management don’t listen to their staff and are just interested in keeping things ticking along. It’s very difficult to innovate and the infrastructure is old and not up to scratch. Especially their data infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and put more emphasis on innovation rather than delivery.

BGL Group2019-03-22

May 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re always keen to hear feedback and we agree there are some very talented people here. Of course, there will always be room for improvement and all feedback is valuable as we continually develop

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BGL Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

the salary is good for the job and there are plenty benefits working with the company

Cons

the repetitiveness of the job

Advice to Management

n/a

BGL Group2019-03-29

"Compare the Market - Nice company but slow to change and a dysfunctional exec team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntingdon and Peterborough, England

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Good, talented people *Caring company with a very active CSR program *Work/life balance

Cons

*Very little autonomy *Corporate culture with a top -down mentality *Innovation and creativity are suffocated *Exec are immature and don't act as visionary leaders - More like middle management

Advice to Management

Shake up the exec and bring in more visionary leaders. Also, trust your employees more. You recruited them for their expertise, so make the most of it...

BGL Group2019-03-20

"Management...Management...Management...*Shakes head*...more management..."

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main pro for this organisation is the opportunity (if you are lucky) to work within the Compare the Market brand. This is an ambitious, fas, lean business that really is employee centric and diverse in people and thought. In particular the Engineering and Product teams who are bold and dare to try new things.

Cons

BGL Group as an employer is a dated and traditional one, that has a lot of 'lifers'. As a result, BGL Group struggle to recruit and support high performers who want to make a real difference. There is a heavy sense of management and and worrying lack of 'do-ers'. This is mainly seen in their Peterborough HQ where there is a hierarchical presence and a worrying lack of diversity. I have seen this result in a lot of...

Advice to Management

Think about what your Manager - AD grades and what really doing versus senior individual contributors in your team. Is the balance right in pay and delivery? If you are not careful your senior and strongest talent will leave you for better careers. Reflect on the feedback you receive from leavers (especially who have come from other good companies and bringing knowledge to you) and consider taking some bold action....

BGL Group2019-01-30

February 11, 2019

We always take time to review feedback, both from current and past colleagues. It’s great to hear about the boldness and innovation you refer to, and it’s something we see across the organisation, not just in isolated areas. One of the great things about BGL is the mix of people who ...

Found 173 reviews