Boots Opticians Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Boots Opticians Reviews

Updated 19 Feb 2020

2.9
Boots Opticians Managing Director James Arrow  (no image)
James Arrow
Pros
  • "Staff discount and great access to products(in 18 reviews)

• "good pay, good maternity leave time(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The favourites can also have their mobiles on the shop floor, instead of in their locker(in 9 reviews)

• "Not enough optics trained management(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Optical Consultant

I have been working at Boots Opticians full-time

Pros

Great Workplace. good benefits. rewarding job

Cons

None, as i enjoyed all aspects of the job. Suppose the only thing was progression within was difficult.

Boots Opticians2020-02-19
  2. "Excellent staff training and team"

Former Employee - Optical Consultant in London, England

I worked at Boots Opticians full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy training programme and room to progress in dispensing.

Cons

Limited ability for management positions and head office roles.

Boots Opticians2020-02-08
  3. "Optical Consultant"

Optical Consultant

I worked at Boots Opticians

Pros

1.Work colleges! If you get a store with lovely people 2.Some customers you build up a good relationship with 3. Easy once you know what you are doing 4. Was close to where I lived 5. My second store I ended up was more flexible than my previous store if I needed a doctors appointment etc 6. Management did help when it came trying to move up the ladder a bit more and were supportive when I needed to have interviews carried out 7. Did help me gain valuable skills that I need in any work place and generally has rounded me a as person and because I am young I think it was a good place to start to mould be into a good worker/college - will always be thankful for that. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the job.

Cons

1.Very underpaid for the job you have to do and the responsibility you have 2. Little to no progression at all 3.One rule for you but different rules for others regarding sickness absences etc 4. Can be extremely stressful when busy due to being understaffed constantly 5. the system you use is very slow and makes it difficult to actually do your job 6. Won’t protect you but would push you out if anything happened such as long term sick or a mistake 7. Some staff were very lazy and nothing was ever done even when experiencing my concern numerous times 8. Some customers can seriously be extremely rude more so in this job than any other I have had 9. Management seem to ‘disappear’ and sit in the office when you need them the most 10. Seem to try and undercut you on pay sometimes when working bank holidays and Sundays 11. Sometimes difficult to put in holidays if you don’t get in earlier enough 12. Make you feel guilty for having a sick day when you are genuinely ill 13. Management ‘forgot’ to process my expenses 14. Perks/benefits are gradually getting worse 15. Sometimes management would seem to try and pull the wool over customers eyes but I couldn’t do anything about it 16. Very money focused, daily targets and weekly targets which I totally Understand but for something you think would be clinical it’s very very money driven 17. Don’t generally get any thanks for doing something extra or any recognition at all yet very quick to pull you up on little mistakes and you feel bad for it 18. Constant staff surveys on how we feel which is good BUT nothing gets done ever about the feedback they receive. 19 I personally didn’t like the uniform. 20. Need more support for career progression from the get go. And general support for mental health. 21. Will ask you to go to others stores that are more than an hours drive away if they need extra staff, of course you can decline but I had to eventually go and do my bit

Boots Opticians2020-02-09
  4. "Good"

Current Employee - Senior Optical Consultant

I have been working at Boots Opticians part-time

Pros

Part time contracts, flexible

Cons

Need of trained personnel

Boots Opticians2020-02-05
  5. "An interesting experience ..."

Current Employee - Optometrist in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Boots Opticians full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great marketing, fantastic team training

Cons

High pressure sales tactics. The job didn’t live up to the job offer - tried to underpay me, cheat me out of holidays, get me to work unpaid overtime. When I pointed out the contract they relented after a lot of discussion!

Boots Opticians2020-01-30
  6. "Okay"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Boots Opticians part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues to work with

Cons

Sometimes can be busy, sometimes it’s dead

Boots Opticians2020-01-08
  7. "Great company"

Former Employee - Assistant in Shrewsbury, England

I worked at Boots Opticians part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff, lots of hours available

Cons

High turn over of staff

Boots Opticians2020-01-03
  8. "It's Ok"

Former Employee - Optician Assistant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Boots Opticians part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good customers was the best part of my day

Cons

Very hard to get instructions for daily work Had to ask for training constantly as put into roles with little to no experience

Boots Opticians2020-01-03
  9. "Good job but very underpaid"

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Bedford, England

I have been working at Boots Opticians part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent environment, easy job.

Cons

Hourly pay less than supermarket workers. Progression is there but very scarce

Boots Opticians2019-12-07
  10. "Lovely people, but pay is always wrong and management needs improvement"

Current Employee - Optician in Exeter, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally lovely people to work with. A good laugh and makes the day go quick.

Cons

Salary paid always seems to be wrong each month as well as expenses taking over a month to be paid! Recent change in management structure means lots of store staff got demoted and loss of confidence in being able to progress within the company.

Boots Opticians2019-12-16

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 189 reviews