E-Cigarette Direct Reviews

Updated May 28, 2021

Found 29 of over 29 reviews

4.6
E-Cigarette Direct Managing Director Jon Nelsey (no image)
Jon Nelsey
  1. 5.0

Great company!

Oct 4, 2019 - Customer Advisor in Swansea, Wales, Wales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive management Good pay Customer focused

Cons

None I can think of

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thank you for your review. As you know we pay all of our colleagues above minimum wage, regardless of age, so we appreciate that you think we pay our colleagues well. At ECD we aim to deliver excellent customer service, which is why our first company value is ‘Exceed customer expectations whatever your role’. Our customers are our business so it is important that we always remain customer focused. It’s great to hear that you think management are supportive and that we have good progression opportunities. Where a vacancy comes up in your area for more hours we would always prefer to give this to an existing colleague rather than recruit someone new so if your looking for more hours make sure you let your manager know! Thank you again for taking the time to review us!

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

False Promises

May 28, 2021 - Store Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Staff discount was generous Holiday and other benefits were above average for a retail role Pay was reasonable

Cons

Far too much lone working. Little consideration given to staff safety or mental health. Poor communication at all levels. You would be told one thing and then suddenly when a rota was produced (typically at very short notice), it would reflect a different message entirely. Whilst covering other stores was voluntary, it was generally expected and not rewarded. An opportunity to see how other stores do things apparently. Tough to do when you are covering an unfamiliar store on your own. Management was far too relaxed to be considered even remotely supportive and hardly ever in store. Offered training and support that would never actually happen.

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are greatly disappointed to hear of your frustrations with the company and that you felt you were unsupported and unable to discuss these concerns with us before you left. Our staff are hugely important to us and whilst lone working is part of the contract we offer, where possible we will do our best to ensure that staff have the opportunity to work with others, as we appreciate that lone working can be very difficult for long periods. Working across different 'home' stores within the company is also part of the contracts we offer as this is required to cover holidays and sickness, but this also gives the opportunity for working in stores with other colleagues. Coronavirus has impacted how we plan staffing and staff shortages as a result of sickness and self isolation has meant last minute changes to the rota, which can be difficult to communicate in advance. Social distancing measures have also unfortunately led to an increase in lone working in our smaller stores in order for them to operate safely for our staff and customers. This has also meant that our managers have been unable to visit stores as much as they would have liked. The health and wellbeing of all our staff and customers is paramount. Training is something we are passionate about and we endeavour to deliver training programmes for the continuous development of our employees, one of our company values is “Continually seek improvement”. As a result of the Coronavirus pandemic we have been restricted with the training programmes we would like to have offered, however, we are now delivering a wider variety of training courses remotely. We would really appreciate it if you could contact us to discuss your points further so that we can make improvements where we can. Please reach out to us at hr@ecigarettedirect.co.uk

3. 3.0
    Former Employee

Ok but communication needs work

Dec 6, 2019 - Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues and staff discount are good

Cons

Communication between management and staff isn’t great

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Our staff discount is a generous one so its nice that you think it was good. However, we are sorry to hear that you felt our communication wasnt great. We set a high standard for ourselves, so we will use your feedback to try and improve.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Oct 14, 2019 - Sales Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really good work ethics. Good pay and some great benefits. Really great support from head office.

Cons

Lone working as it can get very lonely

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased that you think we pay our colleagues well and that we offer some great benefits. We like to think that the entire company offers good support and the team in HO really are a great bunch! As you know our store teams are small and lone working is unfortunately unavoidable. There are plenty of things we can do to help support you when you are lone working including giving you access to online learning resources. We are also about to introduce an internal instant messaging service so you can stay in touch with colleagues in other stores more easily! Of course you can always give us call in HQ if your feeling lonely, we are always up for a chat :-)

5. 5.0

Good company

Sep 6, 2019 - Customer Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly family feel, good discount hours initially offered fabulous, fun job

Cons

No way to progress or any additional hours unless I can work full time which is disappointing from a family ethic company- which is Not helpful to working mums. Sometimes contradictory. Not paying anything additional if you need to travel to other stores far away when you would need to work far more hours than normal factoring in travel

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. It’s good to hear that your job is fun and that we have a friendly family feel. It’s great that you are interested in progressing your career with us, so we encourage you to discuss this with your Area Manager and also our Learning & Development Manager. Just FYI, our colleagues are not required to be employed on a full time basis to be able to progress :-) When colleagues provide cover to stores that are not one of their home stores we do cover travel expenses. If you are unsure about claiming these expenses please get in touch with the HR team who will be happy to help.

6. 5.0

Relaxed and friendly environment

Jul 2, 2019 - Senior Developer in Swansea, Wales, Wales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly and welcoming staff who are always willing to help Low-stress environment whilst providing sufficiently stimulating work Great coffee! Flexible working on a given day (start between 8 and 10, finish between 4 and 6) in head office

Cons

Not a full flexi-time setup No option to work from home Could offer more holidays

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thanks for reviewing us! It’s great to hear that you think we are a friendly, helpful bunch and that you enjoy our taste in coffee! Thanks for letting us know that more flexible working options and an increase in holiday entitlement is something that would make a positive impact. We are constantly reviewing what will make work better for our team and this feedback is really useful. Just FYI, once you have been employed for 2 years you get an extra days holiday ;-)

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Customer service manager

Mar 18, 2019 - Customer Service Manager in Swansea, Wales, Wales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment. Supportive team with everyone willing to help each other. Good pay. Been off work on maternity for a year and have had a very warm welcome back.

Cons

Fast changing environment with lots of new products to learn about all the time.

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Firstly welcome back to the team! We missed you and are so happy to have you back. Secondly, thanks for taking the time to review us. We are pleased to hear that you think the pay is good and the team is supportive, we wouldn’t have it any other way. We are growing quickly and our industry can be very fast moving, which can present its challenges ie. lots of new products! We are currently working on ways to keep our colleagues up to date with product knowledge and are very excited to share some new product videos with the team really soon! If you ever feel you need any additional support please do not hesitate to let us know.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Waste of time

Mar 12, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales, Wales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being around vaping products Shop teams are fun Wages are good

Cons

Lone working Don't always get a break which you get deducted for. Focuses on there new wholesale company more than there shops. Treated like school kids by area management Your opinions are worthless to directors. False hopes off progression. Lots of carrot dangling to get you where they want you.

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and whilst we’re glad to hear that you think the pay is good and store teams work well together, we are sorry to hear that you feel that you weren’t always listened to. As you know, we encourage feedback in many forms from our quarterly employee forum to surveys and 121s with your line manager. As directors, we visit stores when we can, but sadly we can’t come and see you as often we’d all like. However, we do always aim to be open and approachable and we always like to hear from our colleagues. We do aim to deliver a great experience for all our staff, and if we have missed the mark here, we are sad to hear that. I’m personally disappointed that you didn’t feel able to have a chat to me about any of these issues and perhaps we could have worked things out for the better. Sometimes, however, we’re just not the right fit for someone and the best thing for everyone is to move on. We do wish you the very best in your future career and hope that you find your perfect job.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

What a wonderful place to work!

Feb 6, 2019 - Sales Manager in Maidenhead, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for ECD since September 2017 after being with my previous company for 5 years and I can confidently say this is the best company I have ever worked for. They genuinely care about you and your well being, offer great perks and opportunities and most importantly, trust us as employees! They want to help people develop in their role as well as offering support in and out of the workplace. The company have great core values that resonate with me and I feel proud to work for such a brilliant company.

Cons

There aren't many, however lone working in store is the one that springs to mind. This doesn't happen often (mainly covering holiday/days off etc) but it can be a lonely from time to time. Bonus can also be quite hard to achieve if you don't feel everyone in your store is putting in the same effort but area managers are so open and easy to talk to that this could be remedied with a little help from them.

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Thank you for leaving such a heartfelt review, it has really made us smile! We love to hear that you are proud to work for ECD . We understand that lone working can make staff a bit glum and we do try to avoid it wherever possible. But don’t forget you can drop us a line or call head office if you're feeling lonely, we love a chat! We are sorry hear that you feel that sometimes store bonus is hard to achieve. We encourage you to speak to your Area Manager to discuss your concerns, and please let them know if you have any suggestions. Staff happiness is paramount to us, so if you need anything you know where we are :)

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

90 days in and loving it.

Dec 21, 2018 - Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

After recently passing my probation in my current role, I felt I had the experience necessary to comment on the pros and cons of the company, and not only is ECD the most professional company that I've encountered in the vaping industry, they are also the kindest and the most supportive. Huge focus on development and the bigger picture, and a refreshing outlook on customer service, rather than on hard sales. I couldn't ask for a better role or a better team.

Cons

None - a great company that I'm proud to work for.

E-Cigarette Direct Response

Aww, thanks for such a lovely review and congratulations on passing your probation! We are so glad that you are enjoying your role and working with our team. We are amazed to hear that you don’t have any cons at all, so if you do think of anything now or in the future, please email us at hr@ecigarettedirect.co.uk. We wish you every success with ECD.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews