Hays Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.2

1,412 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 325 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 88 reviews)

1. "Unrivalled career progression and reward if you are a top performer!"

Current Employee - Director in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Director in Bristol, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At Hays you have the ability to develop and progress at the pace you desire. If you are a high performer and are willing and able to push yourself to the your limits, you will be rewarded - both financially, through promotions and amazing incentives which range for token prizes to all expenses paid trips. You are responsible for your own business, therefore you get out what you put in! The training and support provided at all levels is world class.

Cons

A career in recruitment is challenging, you have to be motivated and have a positive mind set at all times which isn't for everyone

13 Aug 2017

Thank you for your review!

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Director in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Hays for almost 20 years and I am proud to work for such a great recruitment firm who truly want to find the right candidate the right job.
    Many people ask me why I have worked for Hays for almost two decades and the answer can be very long... but it includes, I work with fantastic people, I have great opportunities for progression, Hays have the best training, an inspiring CEO etc etc !!

Cons

The recruitment industry is a tough industry and you need to be resilient and with an excellent work ethic to be successful. Working for hays is no different.

7 Aug 2017

Thanks for your review! It's so good to read your comments! Thank you

3. "Recruitment Consultancy"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training and career progression. Training is through, well structured and useful.

Cons

Yet to come across them!

5. "A good training ground for juniors, poor staff retention and minimal benefits."

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Hemel Hempstead, England
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Hemel Hempstead, England

I worked at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides good training to juniors. You will learn the nuts and bolts of recruitment (including some of the dark arts of recruitment).

Cons

The company is too profit focused. They wanted to pay their temporary staff as little as possible to increase their profit. The company as a whole had a very short term approach.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

6. "Great team and support given at all levels"

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hays has given me training throughout my whole career and the opportunity to develop as an individual. The people are fantastic and will support you through the tough times.

Cons

As with all jobs in recruitment you have to work hard to achieve success

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and training

6 Aug 2017

Thanks for your 5 star review!

7. "Fantastic people, great career opportunities"

Current Employee - BusinessDirector in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - BusinessDirector in Coventry, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent culture & working environment, unrivalled career opportunities. Hays is an exciting place to be and I've always felt fortunate to be working for a company that is so progressive & ambitious both for itself and it's employees.

Cons

Recruitment is hard work, I love it but it's not for everyone.

6 Aug 2017

Thanks for your review!

8. "Fantastic opportunities, as long as you are willing to give your pound of flesh"

I worked at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Environment and colleagues, clear progression path, easily monitored successes, monetary reward, fantastic training, mostly very knowledgeable and helpful senior management team, USPs - easy sell, they really are the best at what they do...in some markets! ;)

Cons

Non-existent work-life balance, senior managers trust the opinions of the "biggest billers" more than consistent and level-headed consultants, 4 week periods mean its literally sink or swim, performance review culture which is not effectively communicated to staff, scapegoat/ruthlessness - no big picture! No succession planning, terrible retention rates.

Advice to Management

Focus on your Associates, and not just the ones who come in and bill well in their first few months, and look at upping the basic pay for these positions - if people keep leaving in their first 12 months, there is a problem. Nurture people. Stop with the sink or swim and scapegoating mentality. Work more flexibly - this is something you are taught to hypocritically sell to your clients "flexible working" is important to happy employees, so live by it. Trust people a bit more, rigid core hours and lack of access to things from home really limit productivity.

20 Aug 2017

Thanks for your review.

Disappointed to read that you feel that it's sink or swim - we don't want anyone to feel unsupported and provide a very comprehensive training and coaching framework to make... More

9. "Best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First off I'd like to say that before I started at Hays I was a little bit skeptical of the reviews on here. I've worked at places that pressure employees into a positive review on GlassDoor. I can assure you that is not the case with Hays.

Training: Absolutely fantastic. On boarding gives you a great insight into the role and exactly what you need for your first few weeks in the office. Training is on going throughout your first 6 months.

Salary & Bonus: commission structure is generous and the basic is great for my area.

Management: So much support if you need it. I feel confident I could approach my manager with any issues that I may have and they would be dealt with promptly.

Culture: Very nice vibe in every Hays office I've been in. You can really tell everyone who is there wants to be there and has a real can do approach.

Colleagues: So far everyone I've met has come across as great. Everyone will put themselves out there to offer you help. My team is fantastic and we all click really well.

Job: Very different from what I envisioned this role to be. Each day is different. Be it visiting clients or interviewing candidates, you'll always have something to break up the day.

Work/life balance: I saw this a lot on the cons section but so far I haven't had an issue with this. There is NO pressure on you to stay behind after 6pm.

All in all, this is a great place to work. I feel like I am valued and my effort is appreciated. I like going in to work and I like my job.

Cons

Technology is a little outdated. Consultants could do with dual monitors so we can have more than one thing up at a time on the tiny screens.

Apart from the above I haven't come across any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. There is a reason Hays is doing so well.

2 Aug 2017

Thanks for your very detailed 5 star review! So good to hear you're enjoying it and loving life at Hays!

10. "Positive and chalenging career choice"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Exeter, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With such a diverse range of specialisms and the tools to make you truly expert in your chosen field, Hays enables staff pursue a career in their chosen area and career path to achieve your goals

Cons

This is a very fast paced sales environment suited to those that want to achieve and secede in their job. Not suited to those happy with a basic salary.

2 Aug 2017

Thanks for the 5 star review.

"Office Admin"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Worcester, England
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Worcester, England

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Hays is the time and effort the company put in to each and every one of their employees. I really feel supported which drives me to do the best that I can. The structure is great and the working environment in my office is one of professionalism, passion and hard work. All geared towards being the best that they can be, whilst helping and supporting each other. A fantastic environment to be in.

Cons

There aren't really any downsides for me personally. I love my job and I my colleagues are fantastic. I'm 10 minutes from home and have the city centre on my doorstep!

2 Aug 2017

Great to hear you're loving life at Hays, thank you for your 5 star review!

Showing 1,412 of 1,534 reviews